Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ruslan

2016 Test Thread

Is there only two pre-season tests this season? I think so. The last session did not tell us that much, so this one is critical. The fastest time from last week as set by Vettel at 23.810. Looks like Rosberg already beat that this morning.

Results at lunchtime:

1. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1:23.002 82 Laps
  2. Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari 1:24.836 +1.814 42 Laps
  3. Fernando Alonso McLaren 1:25.252 +2.230 50 Laps
  4. Valtteri Bottas Williams 1:25.255 +2.233 58 Laps
  5. Max Verstappen Toro Rosso 1:25.356 +2.334 59 Laps
  6. Nico Hulkenberg Force India 1:25.954 +2.932 50 Laps
  7. Daniil Kvyat Red Bull Racing 1:26.227 +3.205 22 Laps
  8. Esteban Gutierrez Haas 1:26.661 +3.639 23 Laps
  9. Felipe Nasr Sauber 1:26.923 +3.901 42 Laps
  10. Kevin Magnussen Renault Sport 1:26.981 +3.959 54 Laps
  11. Rio Haryanto Manor No time 2 Laps

It appears we accidently ended up with a duplicate threat. Would the mods mind deleting one of them?

I hope mclaren and honda could do at least 500 laps this test in order to have a good season. That engine needs mileage. The more the better

Honda does seem to be improving just as I predicted, they have to get better, gonna take a lot to be worse than last season.

Ferrari - sketchy rumor - problem with gearbox, and overheating due to tight packaging. (All unconfirmed).

It is very tight, you look at an above shot of the 2015 car compared to the 2016 car, the 2016 car is a lot more narrower towards the rear.

It is very tight, you look at an above shot of the 2015 car compared to the 2016 car, the 2016 car is a lot more narrower towards the rear.

...a reason why we need track testing, and not just on simulators, so we discover those issues when there is still time to have them corrected before first race. Regulations...what a waste.

Ohh absolutely and to say there cheaper when you take into account the cost of simulator as well as running costs and building "alien" like engines and such. Why not ban simulators and allow more real testing? They would save a tonne of money there.

End of day times (from the front page). I think tomorrow will be real interesting.

Barcelona Test Two, Day One timesheet

1. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, 1:23.022, soft tyres, 82 laps

2. Valtteri Bottas, Williams, 1:23.229, ultrasoft tyres, 123 laps

3. Fernando Alonso, McLaren, 1:24.735, soft tyres, 93 laps

4. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 1:24.836, medium tyres, 72 laps

5. Daniil Kvyat, Red Bull, 1:25.049, soft tyres, 69 laps

6. Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, 1:25.051, medium tyres, 90 laps

7. Max Verstappen, Toro Rosso, 1:25.176, medium tyres, 144 laps

8. Nico Hulkenberg, Force India, 1:25.336, soft tyres, 121 laps

9. Felipe Nasr, Sauber, 1:25.493, soft tyres, 103 laps

10. Kevin Magnussen, Renault, 1:25.760, soft tyres, 119 laps

11. Esteban Gutierrez, Haas, 1:26.661, medium tyres, 23 laps

12. Rio Haryanto, Manor, 1:27.699, medium tyres, 45 laps

Ferrari - sketchy rumor - problem with gearbox, and overheating due to tight packaging. (All unconfirmed).

Not a sketchy rumour in my book, from what I observed, and because of the car bring revolutionery, there's bound to be problems

Yes, Mclaren running better, but lets not forget those times were (in my book) made with low-fuel runs on soft rubber. Max 3 laps everytume including in and outlaps. Better reliability tho

Not a sketchy rumour in my book, from what I observed, and because of the car bring revolutionery, there's bound to be problems

Yes, Mclaren running better, but lets not forget those times were (in my book) made with low-fuel runs on soft rubber. Max 3 laps everytume including in and outlaps. Better reliability tho

My information is only from tertiary source (with origins a trusty Finish paper); reporter actually wasn't told, but his experienced eye detected discoloration on the body work, which usually happen when abnormal heat is applied from inside. The gearbox issue was discussed in Italian papers - it is supposedly a repeated issue which occurred already on the test rig, and wasn't properly solved. (Since Scuderia did not confirmed as far as I am aware, that's why I am treating it as "rumors" from reliable sources).

Hey monkey what's going on mate, yeah exactly,

How can teams also focus on safety issues in such a short time? Something has to be compromised and since all the teams and cars are running flat out or doing some other program, seems the only safety measure taken since construction is the crash test. But instead of looking into this, they come up with another "quick fire" solution and come up with this rediculous halo or closed concept idea, totally throwing the whole f1 aspect completely out the window.

After 6 days of testing:

Vettel leads 1:22,810

Magnussen leads with most laps 509

I have no idea what it means, but while we idle...

It's still not much mileage when you really think

About it. I mean, you buy a brand new car, after 5000km you still don't know the car 100%

It's still not much mileage when you really think

About it. I mean, you buy a brand new car, after 5000km you still don't know the car 100%

On global scene, people talking about incredible reliability of Mercedes cars must only help brand image, and if not help, it doesn't hurt, does it? Life cycle of those engines must be --what-- 1500 [km] min?

(21 races x 300 km each) / 5 engines per season = 1260 [km]. Add Friday and Saturday, thus 1500 [km] seems about right.

I really can't tell much from the test results so far. It appears that a number of teams are working on reliability and durability, and are not very focused on getting fastest times. Is that because they have to prioritize their limited test times?

Results day 2 (from front page):

Full testing times from the second day of the second F1 test of the 2016 pre-season from the Circuit de Catalunya – Day 2 4pm.

1. Lewis Hamilton Britain Mercedes-Mercedes 73 laps 1m 23.622s*

2. Kevin Magnussen Denmark Renault-Renault 85 laps 1m 23.933s

3. Valtteri Bottas Finland Williams-Mercedes 87 laps 1m 24.233s

4. Sebatian Vettel Germany Ferrari-Ferrari 97 laps 1m 24.611s

5. Jenson Button Great Britain McLaren-Honda 78 laps 1m 25.183s

6. Daniel Ricciardo Australia Red Bull-TAG-Heuer 74 laps 1m 25.235s

7. Carlos Sainz Spain Toro Rosso-Ferrari 112 laps 1m 25.300s

8. Sergio Perez Mexico Force India-Mercedes 95 laps 1m 26.188s

9. Pascal Wehrlein Germany MRT-Mercedes 53 laps 1m 27.064s

10. Marcus Ericsson Sweden Sauber-Ferrari 49 laps 1m 27.862s

11. Nico Rosberg Germany Mercedes-Mercedes 35 laps 1m 28.736s**

12. Esteban Gutierrez Mexico Haas-Ferrari 1 laps No time

*denotes morning session only

**denotes afternoon session only

Like I've said before Ruslan, I also find it hard to tell as you simply don't know who is doing what. It's not like it used to be.

Yeah but you don't know what's spec of engine,what mapping programs there running and such. Mclaren have already said that the engine there using in testing isn't the spec they will have in Melbourne, I think haas is doing the same thing. But yes you would think they would get to fang it abit wouldn't you?