Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ruslan

2016 Test Thread

<<Publius will do fine>>

Welcome to our new home Africanus. Great name!

From another grandprix.com refuge.

So, who is snadbagging, and why are they doing it?

Hard to say who is doing it but it's all about throwing your competitor off. I used to have to do it if I was testing my race kart at the track and other competitors were testing as well. You don't want to give away all your secrets plus you want them to have doubt on just how fast you actually are. If you can make them think about that than the task at hand, mistakes happen. If someone thinks there that much faster than you, they'll get complacent and over look things as they beleive there advantage will cover that.

[quote name='Ruslan' timestamp='1457614939' post='374964']
<<Publius will do fine>>

Welcome to our new home Africanus. Great name!

From another grandprix.com refuge.
[/quote]

[img]http://www.gptoday.com/forums//public/style_emoticons/default/thumsbup.gif[/img]

Hard to say who is doing it but it's all about throwing your competitor off. I used to have to do it if I was testing my race kart at the track and other competitors were testing as well. You don't want to give away all your secrets plus you want them to have doubt on just how fast you actually are. If you can make them think about that than the task at hand, mistakes happen. If someone thinks there that much faster than you, they'll get complacent and over look things as they beleive there advantage will cover that.

Could be that you derive some benefit of it, although if everyone assumes that this is on, than there is no benefit, is there? I do not know if this is going on, but I think these days only Mercedes could have reasons to keep it hidden, and reveal superiority of their equipment just enough to cross finish line first, yet creating false optics and hope for following teams behind them, and just to keep regulations revolt at bay.

Well that's an absolute crock right there, the Mercedes wo7 is capable of putting out a minimum of 750hp and a maximum of about 850hp. Heck I even read a few months ago that the new engine was capable of 920hp but was capped at 850hp. I know quite a few would

Be close to the 750 mark but if a team can fluctuate so much, it would be near impossible to beat them.

Ok,

You know more than a former F1 driver. Ok that settles it...finish done over...Cool

Wikipedia would though wouldn't they? Go have a look yourself and besides, when do you listen to what former drivers with experience say? When it's relavent to you, all wrong when they speak about alonso, but when it's something your talking about, hey, let's take a step back.

Took a few days away from the forum to take care of personal business. Anyhow....I am not sure what to make of the testing. Contrary to most people, I do find it meaningful and most seasons I have a pretty good idea how the teams rank as a result (and my friends quit betting me over it). This season, it is hard to tell. I think Mercedes still has the legs on Ferrari, but I certainly can't tell that from the testing. I am willing to be so brave as to say the top two teams are Mercedes and Ferrari. After that, I am not sure. In fact, I am not even sure who the worse team is going to be !!!

It has been a particularly difficult pair of test sessions to divine much from.

Wikipedia would though wouldn't they? Go have a look yourself and besides, when do you listen to what former drivers with experience say? When it's relavent to you, all wrong when they speak about alonso, but when it's something your talking about, hey, let's take a step back.

No, I've formed up my own mind about Alonso. This is a specific technical issue, something someone knows more about because he's been there.

That's a bit contradicting, claiming you support an experienced drivers statements but don't when it's about something else, how does that work?

That's a bit contradicting, claiming you support an experienced drivers statements but don't when it's about something else, how does that work?

Let me repost...maybe you did'nt read

No, I've formed up my own mind about Alonso. This is a specific technical issue, something someone knows more about because he's been there.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. But here are the 2015 testing times from 4 days at Jerez. Notice any similarities to this year? My prediction, Mercedes to walk all over everyone, again. I just hope Nico beats Hamiltoss. Even tho Nico is a douche too.

1. Kimi Raikkonen Finland Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 20.841s 200 laps

2. Sebastian Vettel Germany Ferrari-Ferrari 1m 20.984s 149 laps

3. Felipe Nasr Brazil Sauber-Ferrari 1m 21.545 197 laps

4. Nico Rosberg Germany Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 21.982s 308 laps

5. Marcus Ericsson Sweden Sauber-Ferrari 1m 22.019s 185 laps

6. Lewis Hamilton Britain Mercedes-Mercedes 1m 22.172s 208 laps

7. Felipe Massa Brazil Williams-Mercedes 1m 22.276s 144 laps

8. Valtteri Bottas Finland Williams-Mercedes 1m 22.319s 134 laps

9. Max Verstappen Netherlands Toro Rosso-Renault 1m 22.553s 170 laps

10. Pastor Maldonado Venezuela Lotus-Mercedes 1m 22.716s 137 laps

11. Carlos Sainz Spain Toro Rosso-Renault 1m 23.187s 183 laps

12. Daniel Ricciardo Australia Red Bull-Renault 1m 23.338s 84 laps

13. Romain Grosjean France Lotus-Mercedes 1m 23.802s 53 laps*

14. Daniil Kvyat Russia Red Bull-Renault 1m 23.975s 82 laps

15. Jenson Button Britain McLaren-Honda 1m 27.660s 41 laps

16. Fernando Alonso Spain McLaren-Honda 1m 35.553s 38 laps

Read more at http://www.crash.net/f1/results/214427/1/jerez-f1-test-times-combined.html#pEeLxmBq76Fiobcp.99

I have no doubt that Mercedes is still ahead but there is no denying the fact that Ferrari have made a vast improvement.

Agreed. As I said, Merc is worried, it's reflected in what Nico slipped out afer a test day. It's reflected in what they are saying publicly. Its reflected in this...

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/556713/Ferrari_produced_incredible_times_in_testing__Hamilton/

Ferrari is not c#cky about their chances over nothing, they wont risk to be let with egg all over their faces

Well Ferrari are approaching it as if there still behind and have kept pushing all off season and it shows in there entire package. If I was Mercedes would I be worried? Bloody oath, Seb proved last season what happens if they slip up and I can guarantee, mentally, he is the one to beat.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. But here are the 2015 testing times from 4 days at Jerez. Notice any similarities to this year? My prediction, Mercedes to walk all over everyone, again. I just hope Nico beats Hamiltoss. Even tho Nico is a douche too.

1. Kimi Raikkonen Finland Ferrari-Ferrari1m 20.841s 200 laps

2. Sebastian Vettel Germany Ferrari-Ferrari1m 20.984s 149 laps

3. Felipe Nasr Brazil Sauber-Ferrari1m 21.545 197 laps

4. Nico Rosberg Germany Mercedes-Mercedes1m 21.982s 308 laps

5. Marcus Ericsson Sweden Sauber-Ferrari1m 22.019s 185 laps

6. Lewis Hamilton Britain Mercedes-Mercedes1m 22.172s 208 laps

7. Felipe Massa Brazil Williams-Mercedes1m 22.276s 144 laps

8. Valtteri Bottas Finland Williams-Mercedes1m 22.319s 134 laps

9. Max Verstappen Netherlands Toro Rosso-Renault1m 22.553s 170 laps

10. Pastor Maldonado Venezuela Lotus-Mercedes1m 22.716s 137 laps

11. Carlos Sainz Spain Toro Rosso-Renault1m 23.187s 183 laps

12. Daniel Ricciardo Australia Red Bull-Renault1m 23.338s 84 laps

13. Romain Grosjean France Lotus-Mercedes1m 23.802s 53 laps*

14. Daniil Kvyat Russia Red Bull-Renault1m 23.975s 82 laps

15. Jenson Button Britain McLaren-Honda1m 27.660s 41 laps

16. Fernando Alonso Spain McLaren-Honda1m 35.553s 38 laps

Read more at http://www.crash.net...xmBq76Fiobcp.99

While Jerez poses a different challenge, Ferrari's focus has been entirely different to Merc this year. They were looking to unlock speed which were their Achillis heel in qualifying last year, totally different program to Merc. On later runs they started concentrating on longer stints, which were also impressive. And because softer tyres are more abrasive at Barcelona, it does not reflect a true story. The fact that Kimi said that there was also a strong wind on his fast lap and that he could go faster, speak volumes... I think we're in for a treat this year with 4 drivers fighting it out for the title!

I also believe that like Merc... Ferrari were also sandbagging with those qualifying times this year.They had more fuel onboard than usual, but that's just my personal opinion

Well Ferrari are approaching it as if there still behind and have kept pushing all off season and it shows in there entire package. If I was Mercedes would I be worried? Bloody oath, Seb proved last season what happens if they slip up and I can guarantee, mentally, he is the one to beat.

true

Too true, if your head isn't fully in the game you might as well go home. Hamilton is great when he's winning easily or coming from behind etc. but he has had a few meltdowns when under pressure, especially if he feels things aren't going his way, that to me is his biggest weakness.

Too true, if your head isn't fully in the game you might as well go home. Hamilton is great when he's winning easily or coming from behind etc. but he has had a few meltdowns when under pressure, especially if he feels things aren't going his way, that to me is his biggest weakness.

Couldn't agree more, nico is stronger mentally than Lewis, when Lewis first came into the sport, mentally he was rock solid as well and I think that was his old man keeping him in check, now it's like he's been let loose and has far to many distractions. It's lucky he can drive fast otherwise, meltdowns we have seen would end a career of some mediocre driver.

Statements like

"This team are sandbagging"

"That team have closed the gap"

Are just repeats from time immemorial and are meaningless.

Australia, we will see.

It's just funny how people give this sense of being"ripped off" because teams arnt showing there potential. You don't see a poker player show his hand as soon as he gets it do you?

So, who is snadbagging, and why are they doing it?

Mercedes are sandbagging and have done so every year AFTER Brawn. Back in 2009 they were just OMG WTF mode seeing how amazing the car was performing at the tests. Since then they have kept a lower profile though. Not knowing is sometimes worse than knowing. So the other teams don't even know how far ahead Merc are, only they they will be ahead of them.

I hope as much as anyone that Ferrari are closer and can really challenge Merc. But even Merc's drivers are in on the sandbagging ruse too, so you have to take their comments with a grain of salt.

Sandbagging isn't a sin, it's just a part of the game. But I do get disappointed when the teams do it.

EDIT: Not sure what the first line was about, but removed it. What's a "cok" anyway lol

Yeah exactly right but it's all part of the game and it trickles down to lower categories aswell, even when I was testing new parts for my kart in a weekend muck around at the circuit, other teams would wait till your having lunch or something like that before they make a run, so your distracted by something at least so I can only imagine how it would be on that grand scale.