Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

Silly Season

This topic has potential to become huge, thus I thought we should keep score ASAP. Names will be added as anyone hears something new.

People without racing contract next year (as of this date): 2 March 2016

Magnussen - confirmed without contract

Palmer - confirmed

Räikkönen - confirmed

Ricciardo - confirmed

Rosberg - confirmed

Massa - confirmed

Button - probably

Alonso - who knows?

Manor - ?

Haas - ?

Sauber - ?

Force India- ?

Scuderia Toro Rosso - ?

Red Bull - ?

Williams Martini - ?

Confirmed with contract:

Sebastian Vettel - Ferrari

Lewis Hamilton - Mercedes AMG

Fernando Alonso - McLaren Honda

Good idea, always good to hear all the funny stories getting around.

I dea for thread was prompted by Renault's boss coming out, and stating that he has no drivers on call for next year. Then I realised how huge this subject is going to be after summer break.

Why are they talking about it now for anyway? Way to put your drivers under pressure already.

Why are they talking about it now for anyway? Way to put your drivers under pressure already.

Perhaps so, but it is also clarification signal for other interested parties before they commit elsewhere. It is apparent already that number of drivers will be looking for a job.

Alonso has a three year contract...so yea, it appears that Vettel, Hamilton and Alonso are all staying for 2017....and the silly season is going to rotate around their second seat. Assuming McLaren moves back into being a top team, then we could see a seat open on every top team (Mercedes, Ferrari, McLaren, Red Bull). The problem is that three of those teams already have their established #1 driver

You watch rosberg in the coming months push for a new Mercedes deal. But I some teams will wait to see what the likes of like Ricciardo and alonso will do.

Al Jones came out that he would like to see DR at Ferrari next year. The question about it was posed during driver's conference. What is confusing for me personally, why everyone thinks that Vettel has anything to say about who will drive next to him? Sebastian was very direct stating last year, that he was not even consulted about Kimi's future, and TP confirmed, that such decisions are for management only to decide, despite that harmony between drivers is important. I think some people just want to steer trouble and create conflict. I also suspect that should DR drive next to Vettel, and lost, there will be thousands of excuses how the team was built around Vettel, and unfair to Danny. That configuration is no win situation for anyone, because no one will be happy at the end. I am not sure that Ferrari is ready to drop Vettel, and develop car for DR's pleasure regardless of the other driver. I also think however that RB will move up, and DR will stay with them.

Kimi will race on in 2017. Where though I'm not sure. He doesn't get the sh|ts unlike Alonso. I just can't see Alonso coming back next year if this years car is just as bad.

Al Jones came out that he would like to see DR at Ferrari next year. The question about it was posed during driver's conference. What is confusing for me personally, why everyone thinks that Vettel has anything to say about who will drive next to him? Sebastian was very direct stating last year, that he was not even consulted about Kimi's future, and TP confirmed, that such decisions are for management only to decide, despite that harmony between drivers is important. I think some people just want to steer trouble and create conflict. I also suspect that should DR drive next to Vettel, and lost, there will be thousands of excuses how the team was built around Vettel, and unfair to Danny. That configuration is no win situation for anyone, because no one will be happy at the end. I am not sure that Ferrari is ready to drop Vettel, and develop car for DR's pleasure regardless of the other driver. I also think however that RB will move up, and DR will stay with them.

So you don't think Vettel would have any say like schumacher used to? Interesting, I find it funny how everyone believes that the sport is run with such honesty. The difference with Seb and kimi is Seb would've known kimi is beatable as alonso showed but it's unknown with Ricciardo, why would he risk it? Horner said that Ricciardo's performance was a factor in Vettel leaving the team and I beleive that 100%. Why would he risk a second year there that could potentially end up the same, not saying it would've but it could've been possible and that would've tarnished the reputation and backed up claims his achievements were just down to the car. Common sense there, if it was me, I know I would sign for Ferrari knowing I have a better chance to beat my teammate than have the posiblity of loosing again if I stay where I am. Because in f1 you want to beat everyone, but you have to beat your teammate first as his is in the same car and using the same resources, well with the exception of a few.

@monkey - I hope kimi is still around, same with button and alonso because as soon as they leave, you know an era has truely come to an end and we have to move on and support someone new.

So you don't think Vettel would have any say like schumacher used to? Interesting, I find it funny how everyone believes that the sport is run with such honesty. The difference with Seb and kimi is Seb would've known kimi is beatable as alonso showed but it's unknown with Ricciardo, why would he risk it? Horner said that Ricciardo's performance was a factor in Vettel leaving the team and I beleive that 100%. Why would he risk a second year there that could potentially end up the same, not saying it would've but it could've been possible and that would've tarnished the reputation and backed up claims his achievements were just down to the car. Common sense there, if it was me, I know I would sign for Ferrari knowing I have a better chance to beat my teammate than have the posiblity of loosing again if I stay where I am. Because in f1 you want to beat everyone, but you have to beat your teammate first as his is in the same car and using the same resources, well with the exception of a few.

@monkey - I hope kimi is still around, same with button and alonso because as soon as they leave, you know an era has truely come to an end and we have to move on and support someone new.

It doesn't matter what I think. New management at Scuderia Ferrari denounced at one point past practices, and declared balanced approach to both drivers. During last year when speculation mill about Kimi's future was daily dose of vitamins, it was said by both parties on more than one occasion, that drivers are consulted regarding degree of similarities of driving styles for management to obtain better understanding differences, but once this is over, driver's input into selection process is over. I have no reasons to believe otherwise. I also believe that DR at Ferrari would be facing different Vettel than he think he knows, but, that's a subjective opinion, which cannot be assessed until DR is actually hired, but even then, I am one of those people who rejects comparison of teammates as definite yardstick of the racer. It's good clean fun on forums, but in real life I would look for other attributes, 2014 results notwithstanding. Take case of Ferrari being built around and catered to Alonso's whims and to Kimi's detriment, yet Alonso boasted on several occasions how much he has destroyed his teammate, and no one in sleazy media (just as Ferrari personnel) would come out and put things straight, yet even today this nonsense comparison lives and continues to damage Kimi's legacy.

On subject why Seb left RBR - many theories exists, but I do not know the truth, and frankly I am not sure that Horner knows either because Vettel told him - I am scare of Danny. You can believe whatever you want. It is however also truth, that Vettel always wanted to drive for Scuderia, and when telephone rang with an offer, he took it. For me that is also plausible reason why he has left RBR. Vettel was in contact with Ferrari even prior 2014 (we know from his private visit to LdM's house in Italy).

Yeah Vettel always wanted to drive for Ferrari as he wants to emulate schumi that's why he chose number 5 as well.

Yeah Vettel always wanted to drive for Ferrari as he wants to emulate schumi that's why he chose number 5 as well.

That's seems to be so, as already Stefano Domenicali was talking about him with Michael Schumacher. In fact, according to Maurizio Arrivabene, it was Sabine Kehm (MS's PR manager) who was approached by Maranello to play intermediary, and she actually approached Vettel at the request from Ferrari, whether he would consider driving for them. This phone call of course started ball rolling to make it happen, however it has been also said, there was some light courting with him in previous times going back two or three years.

It doesn't happen here so much, but in other forums, it's all total hate and BS directed and RBR, Horner and Vettel. I don't recall any of them actually doing anything wrong. But nevermind that, they also go on about how scared Vettel was, how he ran away and joined Ferrari. As if that's even possible to just leave a team and join another because you want to. Look at Alonso. He's genuinely been wanting to join RBR, and now Merc for years and still couldn't make it happen.

Sakae is correct, Vettel is on record as wanting to be a Ferrari driver. When they called, he saw his chance and took it. He also pulled one of the best poker moves I've ever seen and outsmarted Alonso in the process. He did not run away from Ricci to join Ferrari, he would have joined them anyway. It just happened on a year he wasn't having such a good run. And there where genuine reasons for that. He actually got on really well with Ricci, and seemed properly happy for him. It wasn't his year, he knew it, and came back stronger the next year. Yet idiots will continue to rip into DM, Marko, Horner and Vettel for years to come based on total ignorance. Even Webber has come out after he retired to say he gets on very well with Vettel.

Vettel will be at Ferrari for many years to come I think. Hopefully winning some more titles along the way. Because despite what Bernie said about Vettel not being a good Champion, I can say he is. He's fantastic to his sponsors, his teammates, his crew, and fellow drivers. He's funny, articulate and a joy to watch racing. Can anyone honestly say that Hamilton ticks all those boxes? And here's Bernie been going on how Hamilton is the best Champion ever! LOL. No wonder fans have deserted F1.

Well Ricciardo said that Vettel was the best teammate he ever had. He said they always got along and when Ricciardo won his races, Vettel was always one of the first there to say well done. I beleive Seb always wanted to drive for Ferrari and I personally beleive they would've tried to get him if redbull weren't so dominant. You think about, you will remember God knows how many times massa was told to pull his socks up and this will be his last season, he probably stayed because they couldn't get anyone to replace him, it wasn't till redbull crashed that Ferrari had more leverage to get the deal done.

Alonso also had enough clout at Ferrari during that time to request and demand Felipe Baby remain. Massa wasn't bad really, but other than 2008 he wasn't great either. He really was like Rubens in a way. Solid and predicatable, but never special.

I thought barrichello was a much better driver than massa. Massa IMO would've eventually been world champion if he didn't suffer his accident in 2009. He has come back with a slightly more reserved approach and it has totally changed him as a driver, where as barrichello bounced back after a near fatal accident at imola in 1994 and eventually become a better driver. I also agree alonso would've asked for Felipe to stay as I see it the same as the Vettel/raikkonen situation, they know they can beat there teammate so it's something less to worry about.

But Vettel and Kimi have been friends long before they were team mates, so that comparison isn't reflective of their roles at present. But Alonso/Massa is exactly like Schumie/Rubens, accept The Schu won titles and never seemed to be a sour puss unlike The Emporer. Massa's one and ONLY chance was in 2008. He would not have won in 2009 against the Brawn and a late rampaging Red Bull.

As usual the Kimi being replaced stories are in full swing. Even Kimi's non fans must admit this is getting tiring.

Max's people are the ones feeding this. Ferrari are not doing it. The only person to have anything to gain with these stories, or they hope they do anyway, is Max and his father/manager. His father or team are putting these stories out there.

Max has had a couple of good races, and a quite a few total mental and immature meltdowns. He is not Ferrari material yet, but that won't stop his team/father/manager from putting these stories out there. Same thing happens all the time with Soccer transfer rumours. A players agent "leaks" a story that a team is interested in their player not because it's true, but to gauge interest from that or other teams.

Taking this all with a bucket of salt just like all the Bottas and Ricci to Ferrari stories. Ferrari have plenty to pick from in terms of drivers. We are at race #2 of 2016. Ferrari are in no hurry or need to tie up a driver for next year just yet.

Before Kimi, possibly one of RBR drivers is endangered species by year end. RB is famous for that.

Totally agree 100%. You guys all know Iam not to fond of kimi but I will admit when he does well and in my opinion, kimi won't be replaced unless,

1- HE decides to leave f1 or

2- His results start getting more below par that's Ferrari want. But since say the last 4 races of last season, he has picked up his game quite abit. We all know most of kimi's poor results came from just bad qualifying, so just fixing that would increase his chances quite abit. He is now qualifying well and scoring good points, we all know he hasn't got the speed out of the car so quickly like Seb has but he is slowly getting there. I beleive he will have quite a strong or stronger season and see no need to be even be talking about kimi just yet unless his performance sinks again or he wants to retire or try something else. I would love to see Ricciardo there and IMO I honestly think he is there first choice, but when you look at it with common sense and put all factors into concideration, there is no need to even talk about it. "Joss the Toss" is what I call him and to even think Ferrari would throw away there heritage and tradition by hiring a teenager, who is to selfish and doesn't care about team decisions, Ferrari won't even look at him with that attitude so I can't see what he has to gain out of it. Only makes max look more of a spoilt brat.

I've just thought of something else that makes me mad in false stories like these, it creates arguments between verstappen fans and non verstappen fans. Fans will say the story is true and he deserves it and others well argue that it is incorrect. His father knows Max is fast and so do we but its same attitude that made him slower than Schumacher in his "red hot" season with "my sh17 don't stink" attitude. His father is to keen on forcing his why up instead of earning it and it's only wasting Max's talent and public persona. He wants max to be the bully.

Yes RBR and especially STR are ruthless when it comes to driver replacements. Both the Jamie's were good enough to stay in F1. Same with Bourdais, he got a raw deal. Speed, boy oh boy did he get shafted by STR.

At any rate, Ferrari don't hire teenagers, not do they hire rookies. Massa is the youngest that have hired in 10 odd years. I would imagine a driver would need a minimum of 3-4 solid years in F1 before being considered for the seat.

Just imagine the mess and drama Max would bring to Ferrari. It would utter nuts and totally destabilising for at team that is finally gelling and gotten over the Alonso disharmony. Arrivabene is ruthless. Same with Marchionne.

I'm still going to stick with my pervious thoughts. Ricci, Nico or Sainz. Maybe not even for 2017 if Kimi does really well. But more for 2018.

Ferrari also don't replace drivers mid season. Very few teams have ever done so, unless it's a pay driver whose backers haven't brought the bling, or Renault...

Fisi more points than Button - hmm sack Fisi

Button more points than Trulli - hmmm sack Button

Trulli more points than Alonso - hmmmm sack Trulli

Get ready for a whole year of this Sh#t. It's going to drive people mental and crazy. Kimi must be sick and tired of it. All we need now is an idiot "reporter" to then start questioning Kimi's motivation, but give Alonso another free pass despite him saying he's not really motivated right now.

Anyway, hard hats on because it's not going to get any better with this Kimi nonsense.