Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

Silly Season

Rwdbull will be the team to beat next season. You saw it here first so all credit will go to me lol.

Nicolas Hülkenberg to Renault (as a late announcement)? That would be interesting reshuffled deck of cards. Both current drivers are being let go (according to noise on sidelines).

Sounds painful and selfish, but that's a face of RB today.

He made my day with this one:

Renault F1 team chief Frederic Vasseur confirmed to French media that Hulkenberg “is one of the possibilities, but at the moment we have not decided.”

But added mischievously , “If we were to put all of the drivers in the team who have been linked with us, we would call ourselves a football team rather than a formula one team.”

Horner exhibits double standard mentality.

Horner, in the article linked herein, reasoned why Sainz was not allowed to move to Renault, which is all good, until you realize that his position is mirroring arguments presented by both, Ferrari and Mercedes in relationship to engine supply. Their respective positions were heavily denounced by the same man who now doesn't feel a thing being a roadblock to Sainz's career (had he decided to move over). I used to defend Horner when Vettel was with them, but for past three years I've changed my mind. 

Of course you would agree with Horner in the Vettel times as he was the only agreeing with half the stuff Seb did.

Felipe retired and Bottas to Reanult? What's left of Williams? It will be tough to have 2 youngsters for 2017 with all the new changes.

On the other hand, while they're at it, let that Smedly go as well. 

Update - 14 Oct 0839 CET

Force India:

Perez - confirmed

Hülkenberg - reported to sign for Renault (2+1 op. years), however he has yet to be released by FI from his current contract

2nd seat: undecided (should Hülkenberg leave)

Renault:

Hülkenberg - to be confirmed

2nd seat: undecided

2 seats potentially available

Williams:

Massa - retiring

Bottas - undecided 

3 hours ago, Sakae said:

Update - 14 Oct 1147 CET

Force India:

Perez - confirmed

Renault:

Hülkenberg - confirmed, signed for Renault (2+1 op. years)

Williams:

Massa - retiring

Bottas - undecided 

Hulk - confirmed by Mallya

Did you just totally ignore my post of something? Your quoting yourself.

Hulk's move was only now confirmed by Mallya. Until that was done, it was all just speculation that he is out, despite him having Letter of Intent from Renault in his hands. I've merely updated my earlier post accordingly. No disrespect intended. 

One thing more - some articles quote him as having signed for 3 years, but apparently it is just 2 + option for 1 more (which he may or may not take).

It's a great move for Hulk given that Perez is probably better than him, and at least with Renault with all their resources there's a chance that, if they get the new rules right, they could leap up the order, whereas Force India will always be midfield at best.

Yeah it's a good move no doubt but I am not so sure Perez is the better driver Jem. Hulk has had a lot more bad luck than Perez over the time they have had together.

I'm happy for Hulkenberg, with Renault he can have some hope for the future, Force India was, is and always will be a midfielder, they simply don't have the resources to compete with the big guys, they are doing a sterling job but they will never win races.

It's sad that Perez and Sainz didn't have similar opportunities, I think that they both deserve a chance with a top team

It has been said, that in Sainz case it was actually RBR blocking his move to better pasture (Renault). Bell recently revealed, that Lotus was completely in desolate state when takeover has taken place, thus I gather it will take more than just one season for that team to be taken seriously in Tier 1 group, but ultimately they should be stronger than TR, Williams, FI, Sauber, and Haas. In couple of years I would put them in top three and ahead of RBR. Such is my faith in Renault Engineering.

Yeah I heard that to, that RB stopped sainz leaving. He is so underrated sainz, Kvyat said he is just as fast as Verstappen it's just he hasn't had a decent car to show it of like Verstappen now has. Knows his f1 history sainz as well. I've been watching these every race weekend. Called grill the Grid, where they ask current and older f1 drivers questions about the sport. Sainz so far is the only driver, 10/10.

Chatter around Bottas to Renault is shaping up as an unlikely move, due to his existing contract, and Vasseur's aversion to buy him out from Williams. That is now second time (after Ferrari/Kimi) when this Finn is caught up, and his career held back by paperwork. I am basing it on my believe, that Renault will slowly march up and forward, whereas Williams is stuck in the past, and will stay there, in lower midfield.

Ed. It is actually nice that Hülkenberg had his chance, whereas Sainz and Bottas are cought up with their career in team's agenda, rather than their interests. I thought Williams will let Bottas choose, but now it doesn't look that way.

What a sad story Williams has turned out to be after such a dominant 1990s. Usually the sport goes full circle as to when a team dominates, the rules change a new team takes over before returning back to the team that was at the front before reg changes, it's always been that way. As for Williams though it just seems that it will be later rather than sooner that it comes full circle on them. You could sort of say it returned half circle in the early naughties as they gained some momentum and won races at the hands of ralf Schumacher and Juan Pablo Montoya but it wasn't ever more than that as Ferrari was so dominant that no one else would win a title. So it's quite sad that it has been 19 years since Williams last won A championship. Been 35 years since Australia's last f1 champion to, thought I would throw that out there lol.

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 7:08 PM, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

I'm happy for Hulkenberg, with Renault he can have some hope for the future, Force India was, is and always will be a midfielder, they simply don't have the resources to compete with the big guys, they are doing a sterling job but they will never win races.

It's sad that Perez and Sainz didn't have similar opportunities, I think that they both deserve a chance with a top team

Perez kind of did get his chance with a big team, in 2013, and he didn't do enough to get kept on at McLaren.

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 9:37 PM, Emmcee said:

Sainz so far is the only driver, 10/10.

You'd think his history expertise would be in rallying!

31 minutes ago, Emmcee said:

What a sad story Williams has turned out to be after such a dominant 1990s. Usually the sport goes full circle as to when a team dominates, the rules change a new team takes over before returning back to the team that was at the front before reg changes, it's always been that way. As for Williams though it just seems that it will be later rather than sooner that it comes full circle on them. You could sort of say it returned half circle in the early naughties as they gained some momentum and won races at the hands of ralf Schumacher and Juan Pablo Montoya but it wasn't ever more than that as Ferrari was so dominant that no one else would win a title. So it's quite sad that it has been 19 years since Williams last won A championship. Been 35 years since Australia's last f1 champion to, thought I would throw that out there lol.

Well as always with f1 it comes down to money doesn't it. Williams have nowhere near the same budget as Merc, RBR and Ferrari.

They did well to return to competitiveness in 2014 with the rule-change but it's so hard for them to stay up there cos they don't have the resources (and to be honest, they need a star driver). When Ralf & JPM were winning they had the might of BMW behind them paying the bills.

When you read Mark Webber's autobiography (I recommend it) you can see how hard it is for an aussie to get to f1 compared to all the kids in Europe.

The talk in America is that Honda still likes Magnussen from McLaren, so Honda is going to put Magnussen in an IndyCar at Andretti Autosport.  He'd be a teammate to Alexander Rossi (ex-F1), Marco Andretti (did a PR test in the Honda in 2006), and Ryan Hunter-Reay (turned down the Red Bull program that eventually gave us Scott Speed because the contract was horrible).  All driving for Michael Andretti (maybe the actual worst F1 driver of all-time).  Fun times.

What's that mean?  Well, you have Renault, Williams, Force India, Haas, Sauber, and Manor with open seats still, and now you're taking a competent driver for that caliber of team (Magnussen) out of the mix.  In a lean year for GP2 and F3 talent, too.  And no young guys doing very well in DTM.  So, now what?

7 hours ago, Jem of the Shire said:

Perez kind of did get his chance with a big team, in 2013, and he didn't do enough to get kept on at McLaren.

You'd think his history expertise would be in rallying!

You would think so but there is quite a few drivers who have done these quiz's. Quite good to watch.

7 hours ago, Jem of the Shire said:

Well as always with f1 it comes down to money doesn't it. Williams have nowhere near the same budget as Merc, RBR and Ferrari.

They did well to return to competitiveness in 2014 with the rule-change but it's so hard for them to stay up there cos they don't have the resources (and to be honest, they need a star driver). When Ralf & JPM were winning they had the might of BMW behind them paying the bills.

When you read Mark Webber's autobiography (I recommend it) you can see how hard it is for an aussie to get to f1 compared to all the kids in Europe.

That's true but even Ferrari had the biggest budget back in the alesi/Berger days and still couldn't do the job. I know all about how hard it is for Aussie kids to get over there. I also bet most kids in Europe have a kart track within 2 hrs drive of where they live. Australia rarely does and if it does it's only a hire track in a residential area that can't run race karts due to noise restrictions so it's a couple hour drive to the race track. When I used to race it would cost me $500 to race for the weekend, Saturday and Sunday so about $250 a day. That's fuel to get up there and back as I said it's a 2 hr drive north or south to either circuit, $200 for race fees and a spare $50 for extras from the food trucks there. That doesnt count what you have spent on your kart prior to the meet. You might have needed a top or bottom or complete rebuild ($1000) there. Might have brought a few sprockets ($100) new tyres (350) and if you think it might rain ($500) for wets if you don't already have a decent set. Then your fluids for your kart including fuel ($200) so it certainly costs a but if your not sponsored, not to mention your annual club fees of about $1000 as you have to be part of a karting club to race then your trailer and registration and insurance for it, your tools. Man it go's on and on not to mention the price of your race gear, $500-$1000. Depends on how decent of a helmet you want. $500-$1000 depends on how good a suit you want. $200 for shoes, then you need rib and neck protectors, different seats at $500 a pop.

On 10/8/2016 at 8:32 PM, Emmcee said:

Rwdbull will be the team to beat next season. You saw it here first so all credit will go to me lol.

Noted :P