Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

Silly Season

14 hours ago, Massa said:

The talk in America is that Honda still likes Magnussen from McLaren, so Honda is going to put Magnussen in an IndyCar at Andretti Autosport.  He'd be a teammate to Alexander Rossi (ex-F1), Marco Andretti (did a PR test in the Honda in 2006), and Ryan Hunter-Reay (turned down the Red Bull program that eventually gave us Scott Speed because the contract was horrible).  All driving for Michael Andretti (maybe the actual worst F1 driver of all-time).  Fun times.

What's that mean?  Well, you have Renault, Williams, Force India, Haas, Sauber, and Manor with open seats still, and now you're taking a competent driver for that caliber of team (Magnussen) out of the mix.  In a lean year for GP2 and F3 talent, too.  And no young guys doing very well in DTM.  So, now what?

I think at Sauber driver line up remains unchanged.

Haas should talk to Massa and persuade him to stay for one year IMO. Gutiérrez meanwhile is talking to some other teams. (Manor, Renault)?

Stroll to Williams. (His father already went public that his son WILL be racing next year.)

Weherlein to Force India (maybe).

Ocon to Renault (maybe). Vergne would be good choice, but he lacks experience driving hybrids. Bottas has contract with Williams, and Sainz is also out. Magnussen is now out that he wants to stay with Renault.

What a dismal year for sauber, no points so far. Is it safe to say there behind manor now?

Sauber, if we are to believe articles written about them, were in all likelihood on verge of bankruptcy as a team, There was no development to speak about, they skipped (for those exact reasons) testing, so, yes, they are lagging behind, and going consequently backwards, is probably good description. This is however behind them, and hopefully they have brighter future ahead. They kept name, but my understanding is, that Mr. Sauber sold all of his shares, and Mrs. Kalteborn will be moving on to other things in 2018, making 2017 a transitional, rebuilding team year. I feel somewhat sorry for Nasr. I thought he had better future on level those of Sainz and Verstappen. 

Well Nasr looked pretty quick last season and above Ericsson. This year there about the same IMO.

6 hours ago, Emmcee said:

What a dismal year for sauber, no points so far. Is it safe to say there behind manor now?

That team needs a full revamp as well. 

Drivers lineup at Sauber is probably better right now, than equipment they have to their disposal. A year down the road it might be different. Nasr is not the worst one on the grid, and Ericsson has finances behind him.  

I've never thought Ericsson was really that fast. I knew Nasr was pretty quick as he showed us last year but Ericsson, meh.

There's 3 answers to that question IMO. If your talking about most successful, it's Kubica because he won for them, if your talking about consistanly competitive, then it's frentzen but if your talking about outright driver skill, then it's alesi, no question. You also forgot johnny Herbert lol.

2 hours ago, Jem of the Shire said:

Question of the day: who is Sauber's best ever driver?

Frentzen? Alesi? Raikkonen? Kubica?

Kimi - hands down

Who else here thought Frentzen was underrated? I certainly did.

People in here will disagree, but Nick Heidfeld was not as bad as people making so. In fact, many years ago he had almost fanatical following on one of the forums, and if memory serves me, he gave Kimi pretty hard time for a while. He was just little down on luck, methinks. I personally rate him higher than Kubica. (I do however admit that I am bias, and rate almost everybody better than Kubica).

I thought heidfeld was over rated and he certainly wasn't as good as Kubica IMO. Kubica out paced him in the same car and didn't have anywhere near the time heidfeld had with it. He struggled to match frentzen and alesi when he was partnered with either one and they were at the end of there careers. I met him along with Villeneuve a few years back when they came to surfers paradise to team up in the v8 race. Villeneuve has this c#cky attitude and it shows in his body language and heidfeld is quiet and very short.

Heidfeld was solid and reliable but was never going to produce one of those all-time-great drives that make you sit up and think wow he's special.

Webric do you mean all Herbert's team-mates during 1997, or since 1997? Either way I cant remember lol. In 1997 I know there was Larini for a while but cant remember the other one!

I wouldn't say Frentzen was under-rated, he didn't perform at Williams when given the golden opportunity (Hill/Villeneuve would've been stronger in hindsight), but at Jordan he got the credit he rightly deserved because the 1999 season was just incredible from him, amazing consistency, a world class drive in the French GP in the wet, and 3rd in the wdc in a Jordan

Yeah I meant all of Herbert's teammates. Larini only did one race and that was in australia where he scored a point. Herbert also had Gianni Mobidelli,Noberto Fontano and Tarso Marques as teammates. As for frentzen,he couldn't keep up with Villeneuve? He outperformed Jacques in 1998 but suffered more technical issues than Villeneuve did. 97/98 frentzen was rapidly improving and hit his peak in 1999 when he outpaced yet another world champion. Least he won races in more than one car, something Villeneuve couldn't do. In fact i would personally go as far as saying Jacques Villeneuve was the most over hyped and overrated world champion formula one has seen. Name one other world champion who has failed to win a Grand Prix in there remaining seasons in f1 after taking the championship. Jacques I beleive is the only one.

Ah now there's a challenge! Scheckter? K Rosberg? Hulme? I'll need to consult the history books to verify.

Actually Jochen Rindt of course, but then he had a pretty good excuse.

Yeah but he retired the next year, he didn't hang around hanging of glory years like Villeneuve did and then he eats on schumachers greatness by saying 5 of his titles were won without competition. Funny thing is he was racing then so he doesn't class himself fast enough to be competition? 

Brundle doesn't see Vettel in F1 for too long. He thinks - in shorthand - that Vettel is done, and out (next year might be last one). 

The same experts also predicting that Arrivabene is gone.

Kimi may or may not stay for 2018, which in that case Ferrari would have new drivers line up. I have for some inexplicable reasons difficulty to see it the same way, but experts are experts...