Sakae

Silly Season

749 posts in this topic

I rekon they know there going to loose verstappen soon so they want to get kvyats stock back up again. They support him now, at TR even though he's previous few races have been shocking. Yet he was the most hated guy in redbull after one mistake, never mind the podium he had the race before. How sus is that? What is marko bipolar now? Or he's not sure which way he's looking? He would walk into a room and the guy sitting on the left and the guy sitting on the right wouldn't know who he is talking to.

Edited by Emmcee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dr. Marko's mindset lives in a zone I've never visited. His record however is nothing to sneeze at. Kvyat, as I see it, lost his battle to Max, and only he can now prove them wrong. Going forward with consistently impressive driving is the only means how he can return on a podium with some team in the future, IMV. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe so but from a drivers perspective he was shocking and that's where he lost my respect. Was critising drivers who achieved a hell of a lot more than he did in the sport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12 August 2016 at 6:48 PM, Massa said:

Thanks for the clarification.  I was wrong!

Don't worry about it. Reports in media aren't exactly what could be considered always reliable.

Edited by Sakae

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My latest guess:

Mercedes: Hamilton and Rosberg

Red Bull: Ricciardo and Verstappen

Ferrari: Vettel and Räikkönen

Williams: Pérez and Bottas

Force India: Hülkenberg and Wehrlein

Toro Rosso: Sainz and Kvyat (but don't be shocked if Kvyat gets sacked mid-season)

McLaren: Alonso and, tragically, Button (Ron Dennis is the worst team principal in world history for not already guaranteeing Vandoorne a race seat, and they're going to lose him forever...and when both Alonso and Button retire around the same time, Honda will have absolutely nothing, as Nobu Matsus##ta's just not an F1-level talent—good going, Ron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Renault: Magnussen and Vandoorne (Vandoorne deserves better than this, but Dennis and Honda can't seem to let their old boys go)

Haas: Grosjean and Nasr

Manor: Ocon and Sirotkin (GP2 leader with financial backing, sounds right for Manor to me)

Sauber: Ericsson and Gutiérrez (would prefer Haryanto, but his money proved unreliable, and Gutiérrez never misses a payment, from what I can tell, as his performance at every team he's been in has warranted being replaced)

Massa to sports cars.  Rossi in IndyCar.  Haryanto...who knows?  A third driver somewhere?  Palmer can be the gentleman driver in those GT3 cars that require an amateur.

I could see an alternate with Stroll at Williams, Bottas at Renault, and Vandoorne at McLaren—and I'd rather, if you can't tell.  But I just have no faith in Dennis, who I still believe is worse than Whitmarsh.  The problem is that if you go this long with keeping Button's chance alive, you've really already made your decision, in my mind.  And conversely, even if Dennis does take Vandoorne, then he's made it so it will be too late for Button to land elsewhere, and that's just s##tty, too.  I don't like how they've gone about this at all—to be clear, I'm not anti-Button; I think he's a great driver...but I'm ready for change at McLaren, and unfortunately, Button out at McLaren means Button off the grid because of how Dennis has managed this.  And Button in at McLaren means Vandoorne will never, ever race for McLaren, which would be catastrophic.

Finally, a note on Gasly: if not at Toro Rosso, I wonder if he'd have a shot at Renault.  He still has issues actually winning races, but may win the GP2 title this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I would like to know is wheter Mercedes will have guts to sack one of their drivers after having next flirt on a track. (maybe?).

Edited by Sakae

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a hunch that Williams will retain both (Bottas, Massa) drivers for 2017.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perez is towing a different line from the team, namely, I can leave (probably Williams or Renault - my guess), yet brass is saying NO, we have you on the contract.

Edited by Sakae

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perez may wanna leave Force India but it will not be easy. Remember he is dealing with the con-artist in Mallya...:banned22:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not too long ago I read that FI will not stand in a way of their drivers, should they decide to leave, yet most recent articles implying that there might have been change of minds. Perez is also driven by his sponsor (says another headline).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah but I also heard after the Perez and Ferrari gossip, that he and hulk were already confirmed for next year. God the press likes talking about the same thing but twists it to make it look and sound like a new story. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them "press" guys pickups article ideas from us here or similar forums.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

415.gifYour saying there's a spy amongst us?

Edited by Emmcee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Emmcee said:

yeah but I also heard after the Perez and Ferrari gossip, that he and hulk were already confirmed for next year. God the press likes talking about the same thing but twists it to make it look and sound like a new story. 

In this case, I think it is a new story.  The Pérez and Ferrari gossip had no source.  They took a quote about "exciting news" from Pérez's dad and with no reason whatsoever, speculated it was about Ferrari, when in reality, it was a sponsor announcement at Force India.

Pérez trying to get out of Force India and go to Williams (or Renault) is, however, real news.  Pérez has said himself to the press that he and his sponsors will decide his future, and no one else, which set the stage for a public battle with Force India over where he's racing.  The difference is that the Ferrari story was made up off a one-line quote, and even at the very end of the Ferrari report did they say, "But more likely it's Heineken."  Here, we actually have Pérez saying to the press that he and his sponsors are looking at other teams and will make their own decision with no regard for what Force India says.

Now, the story does get dragged out, so I agree there.  He said it a few weeks ago, and nothing has happened since, and now there's nothing new to talk about, so we just keep reading it over and over again.  I'd sympathize a little bit with having to cover a sport during its summer break, but you do have to bank content that can run at any time for the slow periods.

6 hours ago, radical-one said:

True. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them "press" guys pickups article ideas from us here or similar forums.

The ones writing for blogs masquerading as news sites most certainly do.

I was part of the motorsports quasi-press, whereby you're something more than a blogger, but something less than a journalist.  Folks in that position have few contacts, so they just use whatever they find.

Which then exerts pressure on the real press because the quasi-press gets things quicker, and gets big hits by having more "dirt" (e.g., wild rumors).  So, then the credible press lowers its standards in response, and we're all worse off for it.

And that's not just in racing, even if racing's where I saw it firsthand.  Similarly, a few motorsports TV commentators have admitted to using forums to prepare for broadcasts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If that's the case, I feel Perez might have been worried about his future if he stayed on at FI. As there pretty unstable financially ATM with all the drama Malya is in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Massa said:

In this case, I think it is a new story.  The Pérez and Ferrari gossip had no source.  They took a quote about "exciting news" from Pérez's dad and with no reason whatsoever, speculated it was about Ferrari, when in reality, it was a sponsor announcement at Force India.

Pérez trying to get out of Force India and go to Williams (or Renault) is, however, real news.  Pérez has said himself to the press that he and his sponsors will decide his future, and no one else, which set the stage for a public battle with Force India over where he's racing.  The difference is that the Ferrari story was made up off a one-line quote, and even at the very end of the Ferrari report did they say, "But more likely it's Heineken."  Here, we actually have Pérez saying to the press that he and his sponsors are looking at other teams and will make their own decision with no regard for what Force India says.

Now, the story does get dragged out, so I agree there.  He said it a few weeks ago, and nothing has happened since, and now there's nothing new to talk about, so we just keep reading it over and over again.  I'd sympathize a little bit with having to cover a sport during its summer break, but you do have to bank content that can run at any time for the slow periods.

The ones writing for blogs masquerading as news sites most certainly do.

I was part of the motorsports quasi-press, whereby you're something more than a blogger, but something less than a journalist.  Folks in that position have few contacts, so they just use whatever they find.

Which then exerts pressure on the real press because the quasi-press gets things quicker, and gets big hits by having more "dirt" (e.g., wild rumors).  So, then the credible press lowers its standards in response, and we're all worse off for it.

And that's not just in racing, even if racing's where I saw it firsthand.  Similarly, a few motorsports TV commentators have admitted to using forums to prepare for broadcasts.

yep. exactly like I thought 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Latest rumor is that Vandoorne is going to McLaren, ousting Button. Button has decided he does not want to go to Williams. Not sure where he has decided to go.

So...still two open seats at Williams. Guessing that Massa will be replaced regardless. Bottas probably stays. Still strongly suspect that Perez is heading to Renault, with Palmer gone and not sure about Magnussen. Not sure who will fill the second seat at Force India (Werhlein?). I gather Kvyat stays at Red Bull and Team Haas line up remains unchanged.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe button is taken FI seat? Possible, there clearly the fourth best team now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I don't think he would. It is not a team that is going to rise to the top of the pack. At this point you need to be with Mercedes, Red Bull, McLaren or Ferrari (in that order) to win. The only team that appears to have a chance of rising to join the ranks of teams that can win a race is Renault. So, I suspect if he does not get a ride there, then he will leave F1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ruslan said:

Latest rumor is that Vandoorne is going to McLaren, ousting Button. Button has decided he does not want to go to Williams. Not sure where he has decided to go.

So...still two open seats at Williams. Guessing that Massa will be replaced regardless. Bottas probably stays. Still strongly suspect that Perez is heading to Renault, with Palmer gone and not sure about Magnussen. Not sure who will fill the second seat at Force India (Werhlein?). I gather Kvyat stays at Red Bull and Team Haas line up remains unchanged.

 

the italian press are saying that Button might be tempted by NASCAR

I guess that Massa will be made redundant, I still think that Bottas is there only because he's managed by Toto Wolff. Regarding Palmer and Magnussen: everyone believes that Palmer is bund to go and that Magnussen is better than him but frankly looking at them on track it doesn't look as if Magnussen is much better, yesterday for example Palmer was ahead. I presume that Renault might well change both drivers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

the italian press are saying that Button might be tempted by NASCAR

I guess that Massa will be made redundant, I still think that Bottas is there only because he's managed by Toto Wolff. Regarding Palmer and Magnussen: everyone believes that Palmer is bund to go and that Magnussen is better than him but frankly looking at them on track it doesn't look as if Magnussen is much better, yesterday for example Palmer was ahead. I presume that Renault might well change both drivers

Button's just about the last driver on the F1 grid I'd ever see going to NASCAR, but I guess it's one place you can still race at 37 years old and be paid a whole lot of money to do it.

I think Magnussen is highly overrated, honestly.  He was under-productive in junior formulae.  A bit like Alexander Rossi, actually—in the best team with the most experience of all the drivers and still unable to be champion, let alone dominate as expected.  Better than Rossi, because he did get a title (but not without fits from his rookie teammate, Stoffel Vandoorne), but a similar mold of just not good enough.

When Magnussen got to F1, he was remarkably far off Jenson Button.  People criticized the hell out of Sergio Pérez after 2013, yet Pérez was closer to Button both in points scored and on the actual track.  Certainly, Magnussen was more consistent than Pérez at that time, but there's also little good in being consistently five spots behind your teammate.

Magnussen's presence on the grid doesn't bother me—he's good enough to be there and he is better than Palmer, Gutiérrez, Ericsson, etc.  But his absence wasn't noticed, either, and it wouldn't be if he were gone again in 2017.

Realistically, though, I don't know how you upgrade from Magnussen.  Renault may be a factory team, but it sure is an awful one.  I'm no insider, but I also don't see a lot pointing to a big improvement in 2017.  So, I don't know why a much better driver would go there.  The only name I can think of is Felipe Nasr, who is better than Sauber.  Nasr, however, seems more likely for Haas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If button was going to race touring cars, I think he could go to Aussie v8s. After driving one at Bathurst he did say he would love to drive these "after f1".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now