Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

Silly Season

11 September 2017   10:16 (CEST)

Germany’s Auto Bild said the transfer fee agreed between Red Bull and Renault for Sainz is EUR 8 million.

It is not first time media were busy describing complex negotiations in the background, only all of those quickly turned into puff of hot air into our faces. This case however seems more plausible to turn into reality, since Dr. Marko told us that he would not be surprised not to see Sainz with TR to the end of this season. Paddock politics and scheming seems to these days equal and exceeds quality of many some races we have been exposed to in past three years.

4 October 2017   12:53 (CEST)

Ricciardo in on the bubble for 2019 and on his way out of RBR, and not exactly due to his own decision only. I've always held view that he lived on valueless c#cktails of 2014 for far too long. Some will probably complain what I am about to say, but he is not as razor-edge great as he thinks he is (it doesn't mean that he is utterly bad), and now Dr. Marko confirmed the same to him indirectly loud and clear. In 2014 Vettel had an odd year for variety of reasons, no need to beat dead horse again because of it, but only DC loyalists and Vettel's detractors can draw of that year life-long conclusions.  Sensible individuals shrug shoulders and move on. There will be a few seats available next year anyway, including one at RBR.

43 minutes ago, Sakae said:

4 October 2017   12:53 (CEST)

Ricciardo in on the bubble for 2019 and on his way out of RBR, and not exactly due to his own decision only. I've always held view that he lived on valueless c#cktails of 2014 for far too long. Some will probably complain what I am about to say, but he is not as razor-edge great as he thinks he is (it doesn't mean that he is utterly bad), and now Dr. Marko confirmed the same to him indirectly loud and clear. In 2014 Vettel had an odd year for variety of reasons, no need to beat dead horse again because of it, but only DC loyalists and Vettel's detractors can draw of that year life-long conclusions.  Sensible individuals shrug shoulders and move on. There will be a few seats available next year anyway, including one at RBR.

Exactly what I think of him. He is lucky that MadMax broke down so many times, he would have annialated DantheMan

EDIT: Well he did in terms of qualifying

4 October 2017   14:58 (CEST)

With regards Verstappen, I am still sitting on the fence over how far he will go. For now FiA let him off the hook a lot, so it looks great, but once you dig deeper, sometimes I think he's got more guts than brains. (Second Mansell).

I would NOT compare him to Mansell - Mansell DELIVERED
NOT just hopes but, the BIG one,  WDC!!

Sauber F1 decides to drop Wehrlein for 2018

31 October 2017   10:08 (CET)

This doesn't reads as good news for Wehrlein, unless Williams picks him up. I am not sure who else would be interested, however we know MB certainly isn't.

26 November 2017   18:14 (CET)

Has anyone seen an interview with Sauber and/or Williams? I thought their drivers for next season were supposed to be announced yesterday. I understand delay for Williams, but not at all why Sauber is quiet. Maybe lawyers are trying to untangle Ericsson out of his contract and taking their time... 

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

26 November 2017   18:14 (CET)

Has anyone seen an interview with Sauber and/or Williams? I thought their drivers for next season were supposed to be announced yesterday. I understand delay for Williams, but not at all why Sauber is quiet. Maybe lawyers are trying to untangle Ericsson out of his contract and taking their time... 

I don't have a very high opinion of Ericsson's driving skills as I have made it clear over and over on this forum but he singlehanded saved Sauber from certain bankruptcy earlier on this year I can't help by feel that they are not being very fair with him, kicking him out despite what looks like a valid contract and after what he has done for the team looks a bit strong for me.

On the other hand I think that today Wehrlein did a sterling job and it's a pity that such a skilled driver cannot find a seat for next year. I'm sure that Leclerc is very good and that he is F1 material, I'm not so convinced of my fellow Italian Giovinazzi, I just don't understand why Ferrari pulled all the stops to help him and they did nothing to help more talented Italians drivers (Mirko Bortolotti)

Totto thinks that Wehrlein has chance to get the seat with Williams. That comment caught me by surprise, since media were down to two names already, therefore I gather he must be a backup as a plan B or C, or whatever.  Sauber's new boss is free of any sentiments, just hard core old-time BOSS. 

The real shame of the situation is that some real drivers, like Wehrlein and Kvyat, look to be without a seat for next season. While I have no doubt that some of the new guys are very good and deserving, we are fairly regularly seeing good and deserving drivers knocked out of F1 for no other reason that they don't have the right or the richest sponsors (Kobayashi immediately comes to mind). I do think we need more teams (more seats) and less paying drivers in F1.

7 hours ago, Sakae said:

Let me introduce you to concept of NASCAR...

Not anymore!

NASCAR once had 86 cars attempt for 43 spots—literally half the cars entered failed to qualify!  More commonly, they'd get 50–55 entered for the 43.

But now NASCAR has not only reduced the field size to 40, they usually only get 37–39 cars showing up.  I think the most they had all year was 41 going for 40.

The team owners formed an association, created "charters," and now chartered teams (1) are guaranteed a starting spot and (2) get paid a lot more per race than non-chartered teams.  There are only 35 charters.  So, for anyone beyond those 35 to show up is a bit of a money-loser.

IndyCar also used to have more entries than spots (usually determined by safety—how many cars can safely pit at the track if, for example, all cars came in under a safety car at once) at many events in the CART days, and always at the Indy 500.  But not anymore there, either.  They do two days of qualifying, one of which is a "Bump Day" to set the 33 cars in the race, but there are only 33 entered now due to engine leasing rules, so it's very pointless.  And sad.  It used to be so much fun when cars got bumped out of the field.

I have endeavored to like NASCAR (and baseball, and NFL), forced myself to watch a few races on TV, heck, I even attended inaugural Brickyard race, and failed miserably in that effort on all fronts. Bored to death is an inadequate description how I felt through and after each event, and something more stronger is needed to describe my American experience. Next to F1 I did like however also CART, watched religiously whole season and then another and another, loved Alex Zanardi, followed JV through his Atlantic series and as a French "underdog" in (rather hostile) Anglo oriented media of Toronto progressing up and up, and then I've felt asleep again watching IRL

Conclusion, please, Not here. 

15 hours ago, Ruslan said:

I won't be satisfied until there are 30+ cars fighting to get on the grid.

me too, it's the only way to let young drivers show their talent and to get new ideas. Also that would make qualifying meaningful, nowadays they all get to race. I also think that they should let 24/26 cars race depending on circuit layout (with the obvious exception of Monaco where 20 cars are more than enough).

Since we're at it I also don't get the rule on tyres, they need some action around tyres otherwise no one would notice Pirelli, fair enough, why don't they come up with 3 compounds at the beginning of the season, soft, medium and hard, the tyres stay the same throughout the season and for each racew week end every car gets 3 sets of softs, 3 sets of mediums and 3 sets of hard tyres and they can choose how to manage them.

And please let's have 3 stewards that stay for all the races in a season.

Given the fact that if they followed my suggestions the drivers would most likely have different strategies they could finally get rid of the DRS

Formula 1 is about being,  best of the best.
30 cars would just be madness.
There IS GP2 for that !!

4 hours ago, lipstick79 said:

Formula 1 is about being,  best of the best.
30 cars would just be madness.
There IS GP2 for that !!

At the Phoenix GP they had 33 cars. We actually got up early in the morning to watch the pre-qualifying. It was more exciting than the regular qualifying or much of the race. It was wonderful madness and we were seeing more of the best of the best.

Are we getting the best of the best with Lance Stroll and Erickson can secure rides due to their $$$ and drivers like Werhlein and Kvyat (and many, many others) can't get a seat?

We need more cars.

4 hours ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

me too, it's the only way to let young drivers show their talent and to get new ideas. Also that would make qualifying meaningful, nowadays they all get to race. I also think that they should let 24/26 cars race depending on circuit layout (with the obvious exception of Monaco where 20 cars are more than enough).

Since we're at it I also don't get the rule on tyres, they need some action around tyres otherwise no one would notice Pirelli, fair enough, why don't they come up with 3 compounds at the beginning of the season, soft, medium and hard, the tyres stay the same throughout the season and for each racew week end every car gets 3 sets of softs, 3 sets of mediums and 3 sets of hard tyres and they can choose how to manage them.

And please let's have 3 stewards that stay for all the races in a season.

Given the fact that if they followed my suggestions the drivers would most likely have different strategies they could finally get rid of the DRS

Actually, I would like to see them go back to allowing multiple tire vendors.

3 hours ago, Ruslan said:

At the Phoenix GP they had 33 cars. We actually got up early in the morning to watch the pre-qualifying. It was more exciting than the regular qualifying or much of the race. It was wonderful madness and we were seeing more of the best of the best.

Are we getting the best of the best with Lance Stroll and Erickson can secure rides due to their $$$ and drivers like Werhlein and Kvyat (and many, many others) can't get a seat?

We need more cars.

We need more cars so we will see more Strolls alike? What we need is people who cannot afford this kind of racing to leave the series. Don't live above your means seems pretty good advise to take.

MORE cars would DILUTE what being an F1 driver is about
F1 is the PANACEA of motorsport.
If anybody can do it (more cars) F1 becomes, no longer the best.
Just a vehicle for marketing.

15 hours ago, Ruslan said:

Actually, I would like to see them go back to allowing multiple tire vendors.

Yes a proper tyre war again, could introduce a variable.

Race by race, CHOICES.

42 minutes ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

no we need more cars so that drivers like Wehrlein, Buemi, Kvyat, etc can have a chance

28 November 2017   10:27 (CET)

That's one way to look at it. I do see it however in NASA analogy. Not too many, and only the best of the best will do. 10 to 14 best cars over 35 mediocre ones.