Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

F1 - Regulations, Business And Politics

I am not sure if we should keep score but this series is getting interesting:

- Last year McLaren (Boullier, Dennis, Alonso) complained about rules related to anti-development measures

- BE complained recently about "rubbish" product in his scolding attack

- Drivers complained about sport governance

- Today JV is talking about need for restoration of F1 credibility

Wolff:

“The sport is under scrutiny on this matter, so careful thought is required in order to make coordinated, intelligent steps forward from the position we are in right now,” he said.

“The fans want close racing, in a format they can understand, between the best drivers and cars in the world — in that order. We should be capable of delivering that to the people in the grandstands and watching around the world.”

http://www.gptoday.c...out_qualifying/

Remove fuel limits

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/558796/Another_call_for_removing_the_fuel_limit/

To sum up-to-date score on qualifying format this is what's in media (that I read):

1. The overwhelming majority of insiders and outsiders did not like format which was implemented in Melbourne 2016.

2. The change in qualifying was initiated in response to pressure on FOM from race promoters to rise more interest in F1.

3. In the post-Melbourne race session, FiA has not proposed return back to 2015 format. Two option on the table put to teams were to either retain Melbourne style or introduce some more of new tweaking in Q1 and Q2.

4. Four teams objected to the "correction". (Williams, Torro Rosso, RBR, and McLaren).

5. New session after Bahrain is being scheduled to address this issue once again.

Who is talking about too much democracy in F1?

Senna wouldn't have taken this and he would have stood up and said something, where are the drivers today with the balls to say something controversial about the governing body?

“I think the drivers should be more involved in the decision-making process. For example, I see no reason why there should not be a driver on the F1 Commission.”

The F1 Commission, an intermediary body between the strategy group and the FIA’s World Motor Sport Council, is comprised of most of the sport’s stakeholders including sponsors, promoters and the tyre supplier.

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/559075/Drivers_keen_to_be_on_F1_Commission/

Hard to say whether this is good or bad. I am inclined to see positives in this, but only if there is no need for unanimity.

Neither Ecclestone nor Todt were present in the meeting held on Sunday in Melbourne
...about qualifying

One would have thought that subject was important enough for those two to get out of bed and perform some serious listening. Obviously, I was wrong.

Why not, that's what has to happen if any hope f1 has to change. They don't listen to fans so maybe drivers need to speak up and good on seb for doing so.

Why not, that's what has to happen if any hope f1 has to change. They don't listen to fans so maybe drivers need to speak up and good on seb for doing so.

JT already dragged him to Paris on the carpet even for lesser remarks of this kind. Other drivers like Alonso and Hamilton so far got away with it.

http://www.gptoday.c...Spa_to_be_axed/

The race comes at the expense of the beloved Spa-Francorchamps & the Belgian Grand Prix, where the government who subsidise the race are understood to be “too European”.

...one by one...

New US GP venue confirmed for 2018 calendar; Spa to be axed

To sum up-to-date score on qualifying format this is what's in media (that I read):

1. The overwhelming majority of insiders and outsiders did not like format which was implemented in Melbourne 2016.

2. The change in qualifying was initiated in response to pressure on FOM from race promoters to rise more interest in F1.

3. In the post-Melbourne race session, FiA has not proposed return back to 2015 format. Two option on the table put to teams were to either retain Melbourne style or introduce some more of new tweaking in Q1 and Q2.

4. Four teams objected to the "correction". (Williams, Torro Rosso, RBR, and McLaren).

5. New session after Bahrain is being scheduled to address this issue once again.

Who is talking about too much democracy in F1?

Funny, amusing, whatever...

BE:

He blamed F1’s failure to dump the controversial new system on the self-interest of certain teams, “That is the problem with a lot of things. Two teams care about themselves – not everybody.”

So, despite that neither Ferrari nor Mercedes opposed revision of Melbourne rules, he still managed to blame them. Opposing teams, as stated above, were reportedly Williams, Torro Rosso, RBR, and McLaren. Those four teams did not like revision offered by FiA, a reason why this weekend we continue with Melbourne format.

BE dismissed drivers as powerless, thus, I gather, it implies as a group which can be ignored. In fact, he has alleged they do speak on instructions from teams, and marked some of them - after media help him to find a word - as "windbags". So much for respect for each other. Sebastian is quite vocal recently, thus, he is then windbag as well, despite that Ecclestone did not name anyone particularly. The irony is, Vettel spoke in favor of standard engines, because current PU is too large, and cars are heavy, and tires cannot take it. Hybrids are cause for all kind of consequences which are contributing, Vettel said, to the current state of the F1.

He might be right, but I do not see clock turning back because Honda, Renault, Ferrari, and Mercedes do want hybrids to stay. F1 is really on crossroads and picking up correct direction will take probably more than just tossing in some juicy one-liners for media consumption.

Just showing everyone what he is doing to them. The most honest thing bernie has done in years.

Go fvck yourself you old clown.

Williams deputy team principal Claire Williams said that teams had reached a conclusion that simply going back to the 2015 format would not be a positive one for F1.

Just this morning I read Totto said - returning back to 2015 is the only way...

This is not anymore what's better, but about ensuring that whatever Ferrari and Mercedes are suggesting will be negated at any cost for a sake of having an upper hand.

This clarifies who is behind the mess.

"It was a lively but healthy discussion," Red Bull boss Christian Horner told Motorsport.com. "Obviously qualifying was discussed at length. I think the teams would be happy to go back to 2015, but the promoter and FIA were not so keen.

Through interviews following has been clarified:

- Adopting 2015 qualifying style was not offered (by FiA and FOM)

. New proposal is on the table and teams are supposed to evaluate on some deadline

Reason: 2015 qual. the style was too predictable, thus had to be changed...

Is it a tear in my eye? A new word needs to be found because human stupidity is not really expressing the mood of the moment.

The events of today beg a question, namely, if those guys aren't able to agree on the relatively innocent issue such as qualifying format, which is clearly anti-Mercedes motivated, why would we expect any better agreements on more complex issues, such as for example, business model, technical specifications, etc. It's hopeless. Moreover, that argument that Ferrari and Mercedes are running F1 is getting rather stale.

A pitreporter from the Dutch television said that that Sauber ran out of money and won't be there next race. Kalterborn was not present at Bahrain.

I am not sure if it makes sense to rename the team to Alfa Romeo, or Audi, among other names, but it would be sad day to lose this team.

http://www.gptoday.c...lk__Ecclestone/

Interesting article, but where was all that wisdom when homologation/tokens issues came up? Was it so difficult to figure out what can happen if teams got stuck in reverse gear, while one is moving just fine? I am not an F1 engineer, but I could warn him about it in 5 min conversation. Today, wanting to correct it by introducing random factors is just as bad, IMO, as premature imposition of that homologation. Drivers should win by giving it all what they have, and win WDC on merit. Teams need to have chance to compete fairly, giving all they have, and win WCC on merit. Call me pessimist, but messing up qualification procedure, or pulling numbers out of the hat is probably not going to fix it.

http://www.motorspor...at-idea-684705/

Seb has to be careful. He has been recently very outspoken, critiquing sport governance, etc. Not that he is saying anything different, but he is one of the loudest.

He's being honest in saying what he feels. Nothing wrong with that. The only thing that may be wrong is saying what people wanna hear than just for the heck of it.

I respect him for being outspoken. True people speak their mind and not pretend....