Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

F1 - Regulations, Business And Politics

“Sue me!” Malone is quoted as having told Marchionne during recent negotiations. “I have the time and the money.”

F1 management is about to get very entertaining.

By the way, one rumor has Ecclestone gone in November.

I read it, and while many love it, and others nodding, I am not so sure this is good news. I am of opinion, that contract is a contract, and unless there is force majeure in effect, the contract needs to be respected, which is why it exists in the first place, otherwise you cannot do business with this man. How would that work? Every time in the future he will not like something, he will say sue me, I have money and time? Having stated that much, we do not know what, and in what context it was said; it is an issue of credibility. Some sites love articles with strong headlines, especially when certain parties (they do not like) are involved, only to be proven "far out" soon after. There is however nothing wrong to launch negotiations with the teams about conditions concerning 2021 CA.

Ed.    I recall now a part of an interview with Chase Carey just a few days ago in which he stated, that nothing much can be done with existing agreements in place. I would have to search internet for a quote, but I've initially forgot about that. Now it is coming back, and reinforcing my believe, that some media should have their license revoked. I can only hope that Carey and Malone are on the same page.

A bit of nostalgia...

Ecclestone managed to comb some feathers wrong way (again), but surprisingly I agree with him (sort off). It was always my opinion that Prost was "better" than Senna. I am hesitant about a claim that he was better than Schumacher, but comparisons of this kind are subjective, so why not. I am old enough to admit that I have seen them racing while in race attendance, but my heart was with Alain, while he was active. It does not come as a surprise to me today, that it is his style of racing which I miss most. Senna was a fast racer, but his fame seems to grow every time his name is used as a reference.

Here.

Interesting statement from Bernie, although it probably deserves a thread of its own. I also consider Prost better than Senna, although Senna was the stronger qualifier. In a race season that was a one-on-one duel, Senna held the advantage. If it was a season with multiple competitive cars, then Prost's more heads-up driving and lesser chances of hitting lapped backmarkers gave him the edge. It was very close between them. I suspect they were both better than Schumacher, although that is hard to judge. He seemed to not be as dominant his last couple of years at Ferrari and was resoundly beaten by Nico Rosberg in his three years at Mercedes. If Prost had something like 2 1/2 more points, he would have won 7 world championships in what were a series of much more competitive seasons.

On the other hand, not sure if I am ready to rate them over Fangio, Moss and Clark. I suspect the Prost-Senna pair might be better than the current trio of Hamilton-Alonso-Vettel.

I have found a very interesting article on a loophole used by Mercedes to introduce a system similar to FRIC to their 2016 car (apparently it's legal)

also I have seen an interesting article regarding how a softer set of springs at the rear of the RBRs allow them to reduce their drag, basically it's a DRS activated by the rear suspension. That could explain why they always use such rake set ups

I think his point was the story should be about F1 (or the Formula One Group)...not the investment company.

I don't think he has any background in racing, formula one or sports promotion......so not sure he is going to move swiftly. He may bring some other people in first.

Because of the size of the investment, and the difficulty in selling it (as I think CVC was trying to dump it for a long time), I don't think this is a simple quick buy and re-sell deal. I think they need to expand its market (maybe to people under 40).

14 hours ago, Ruslan said:

I think his point was the story should be about F1 (or the Formula One Group)...not the investment company.

I don't think he has any background in racing, formula one or sports promotion......so not sure he is going to move swiftly. He may bring some other people in first.

Because of the size of the investment, and the difficulty in selling it (as I think CVC was trying to dump it for a long time), I don't think this is a simple quick buy and re-sell deal. I think they need to expand its market (maybe to people under 40).

I do like (forum) Massa' simple, yet most likely substantively accurate characterization of the transaction. One doesn't spend that kind of coin, and then drop the ball, without wanting it all back, and more. LM is not a totally unknown entity, and it is safe to assume they are not "in it" for altruistic reasons.

It seems there are some loose ends and pesky details to be tied up with "selling F1" stuff. 

FiA's role indeed must be limited to sport regulator only, without any commercial interest. What is not being explained or discussed, whether LM has submitted required documents to FiA for endorsement, and what would follow, if FiA, based on proposed plans, will refuse to endorse sale. FiA needs to accept, that LM will be fit as a partner to run the commercial branch. Will FiA endorse gambling? 

Can't stand whitmarsh and never have. He looks and acts like a used car sales man.

Exactly, I always felt he was there because he was a "good" talker to the media and such when things happened.