Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

F1 - Regulations, Business And Politics

If you have a look I posted a story on this a while back, maybe it could answer some of your questions. As much as I would love to see Alfa back, not at the expense of sauber but then again, sauber has never been the same since Peter gave control to MK. Sill wish Jordan was there.

http://www.motorspor...or-2018-688724/

Three engines per customer will save Tier 2 group? I can't wait.

In another news, FOM "is looking" into turning qualifying into a Saturday race. Maybe already next year. Here we see how "well" the brainstorming is being coordinated. 25 races, six in the USA, and all with 3 engines?

What can one say, and stay polite at the same time?

Why would they race in the U.S. When they haven't got any drivers good enough to drive in f1 for starters let alone try and out attend NASCAR races. I don't read half the crap I find now as its to far fetched.

Kaltenborn isn't Austrian is she?

Transplant; grew there since her childhood, speaks the language, got a law degree there, she is married to an Austrian, and possesses the Austrian citizenship.

Money, money money... Sebi is not working for free according to the following account.

[url="http://www.totalsportek.com/f1/sebastian-vettel-ferrari-contract-worth-240-million/"]http://www.totalspor...th-240-million/[/url]

Least he is getting paid more than what Redbull were giving, cheapest world champion at that point he was.

Wurz and Lauda names are appearing in headlines as names in a hat for potential replacement of Ecclestein. I think media have too much time on their hands, thus making up stories. The problem, however, is an interesting one. I am of a different opinion. The sport is too big to be handled properly by a single individual. Composition perhaps should include a steering committee. Example:

FOM (commerce) - group of 3 - a former racer as a head (Wurtz, Lauda, Berger, others), with a lawyer, and an international marketing expert, both in advisory function only

FiA (regulations) - group of 2 - a commissioner (someone like Ross Brawn), and a lawyer (advisory function only)

On the accounting side - only advisory reporting function on facts, but no decision-making roles on either side.

An f1 team can't find anyone to drive for them? Seriously wtf? They mean they have no money for it more like it.

Cash flow is almost certainly the issue. As a European, I would like to see Mr. Sauber's Swiss team on the grid, but right now I fear the worst, that this might be the end of the road for them.

I don't see why Peter doesn't step back in like he did back in the BMW sauber days when it was going pear shape.

So where are we at for the 2017 Reg? Are they really going to make any major changes?

Short answer is, not everyone is happy - so what else is new?

Totto thinks, they gave out too much.

RBR thinks, they had not received enough.

Sauber and FI are still unhappy about distribution of income.

Drivers think aero design is going wrong direction.

Engines will cost less.

For me there is at least one positive - despite it is 3 years too late, there is a plan for convergence in the engine power.

Yea, there does seem to be any real agreement. Have they officially decided anything or is everything still up in the air?

The governing International Automobile Federation (FIA) said in a statement that the agreement had been approved by its World Motor Sport Council and would now be written into the regulations.

FiA statement

Cost
  • Agreement has been reached on a significant reduction in the price of power unit supply to customer teams and a reduction in cost to manufacturers over the coming years.
  • In 2017 the power unit price for customer teams will be reduced by €1m per season compared to 2016.
  • From 2018, the annual supply price will be reduced by a further €3m.
  • Cost reduction on power units will be driven by changes to the Sporting and Technical regulations in 2017 and 2018, with a progressive reduction of the number of power unit elements per driver per season.

Supply

• Supply of power units to customer teams will be ensured, as the homologation procedure will include an “obligation to supply” that will be activated in the event of a team facing an absence of supply.

Performance Convergence

• The new agreement includes a package of measures aimed at achieving performance convergence.
  • The token system is to be removed from 2017
  • Additionally, constraints on power unit part weights, dimensions and materials, and on boost pressure will be introduced in 2017 and in 2018.

So where is there space for innovation? Might as well have a standard engine spec for all cars....

To make it clear, I am all for competition, but problem is, in attempt to make the F1 economically viable, they introduced so many restrictions, that it is hard to determine exactly where teams are still competing. People commit mistakes, but they should be allowed to take a clean sheet of paper, and start again, yet it's not possible these days, and it is shame. We could sit here and make a long list of "what's wrong with the F1", however disparity in engine performance is no good IMO. In 2014 it was fun, but homologation and that idiotic tokens system almost killed the series. To make a new front wing is relatively possible to be done in short span of time, to make a new PU is not. This challenge hopefully now will go away. New focus, I guess, on engine side will be drivability, reliability, and fuel consumption. Finally, I am not sure this is an end of it anyway. Mercedes is not happy about one thing, Honda about something else, so, war continues.

That's the entire issue, stop trying to make the worlds fastest open wheelers road spec race cars. You can't test parts for road cars in f1 when it's about innovation. How can they do this when regulations are in place that will benifit a minority of people instead of the majority who are fans of the sport. Get touring cars or actually race cars to test these jargon parts. Formula one is consistantly suffering because of this and Iam all for going green but you can't attack this sport when much more important issues are at play. You will never be green so why make it worse by ruining the enjoyment for all associated?