Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

F1 - Regulations, Business And Politics

Ferrari is promissing surprising upgrades are coming. Now we have to wait whether those were intended for reverse, or forward motions.

If engine tokens are getting scrapped next year, why wouldn't teams use them all ASAP?

The Renault Formula 1 team has resorted to using parts of grands prix as test sessions to experiment with set-ups as it is so far off the pace. (Magnussen / Autosport)

Well that's a problem, and we got it because of cost-down initiatives. Why promoters do not revolt screeming murder, is not entirely clear. They pay, in my understanding, some 20 - 40 MM EUR per event, in some cases taxpayers carry that load, and then they get testing instead racing? Unfortunately this is going on for quite a while, including at McLaren (last year comment by Alonso), and they all are quiet, wondering where their customers vanished. 

That's what I mean, testing at races is a joke, testing can't be that more expensive than teams tip toeing around and testing this and that in loop holes found in regulations. Mclaren are off the pace simply because Mercedes refused to supply them power plants once Mercedes got to the front. IMO Mercedes was scared of Mclaren being the only potential team to take it to them, after all, they've used Mercedes power longer than Mercedes even has, some secrets they would know about that they would keep close to there chests. I've had an idea for a while that could solve this issue aswell as let fans at races see more of the cars. Why not have a 2hr session on the Sunday morning similar to the pre exsisting Sunday warmup that's specifically for testing only, it's not going to cost anything, all car a freight is already there plus it could bring a few more through the gates to see cars testing new innovative equipment, sounds like a no brainier to me, but that's the fia in a nutshell, no brain.

Tendency is to shake up a grid by inducing randomness into a state of equipment, something which rubs me really wrong way.  

Yeah well the randomness would occur if the grid was closer as there allowed to test more.

Field seems to be close already on some tracks, and stretched on others. One could debate certain incompatibility between development of equipment, and existing (sterile) tracks they racing on. I am assuming it is more economically viable to change equipment, rather than rebuilt tracks, thus more should be done with equipment for cars to be able drive in close proximity and facilitate play me-first into corners. Drivers (Hamilton, Vettel) sounded pessimistic about those prospects with 2017 regulations. 

Talk about town is these new cars will obliterate previous circuit records but we have been told this before haven't we?

Really?

It's funny how this website wasn't concerned about the issue within, until it has become an inconvenience for Mr. Hamilton. Wrong question asked AGAIN. It is not only why is FiA against radio traffic, but why teams do not retool a car to suit regulations. This is not something we have discovered Monday before Baku. We have that mess on hands for several years.

Bernie-Ecclestone-Middle-finger-2.jpg?w=http://www.grandprix247.com/2016/06/24/ecclestone-f1-is-not-the-european-championship/

The F1 supremo was quoted this week as saying that while this year’s schedule stands at an unprecedented 21 grands prix, the 2017 calendar could have as few as 18.

So, after teams mobilised for 21 races, now they will lay people off because we will be back ti 18 races? Nice piece of planning that is.

But there have been several examples in recent years of new countries – like Turkey, Korea and India – joining the calendar but not enjoying any longevity.

Asked what a new venue like Azerbaijan can do to avoid the same fate, Ecclestone answered: “Pay!”

Well, he has his priorites straight. Pay for on-track testing, starting Sunday at 1400 hrs.

Told that many hosts argue that F1 races are no longer profitable, he added: “It’s not my fault. I don’t organise the races. It’s their task to attract the fans.”

Looks like I got it all wrong in thinking, that product has to be appealing enough to attract customers. Now I am learning that it is job of a middle man, regardles what kind of garbage is supplied for distribution. Nice.

Does anyone else agree that the MAJOR issue with f1 is bernie himself? Get rid of him and atleast they will be on there way to rebuilding the sport to the levels of authentic racing we used to take for granted.

I do not want to make any fatal decisions today, but it sort of popped up into my mind already several times for no reason at all, that once Vettel retires, that I might call it a day as well. This sport has become too British for my taste.

I hope not Sakae, I hope someone else comes through you take a liking to, don't let this era distroy your passion. I think there's a similar feeling with Vettel fans to Schumacher fans or both that people like me and you Sakae have seen Vettel from the beginning, I don't know how long you've watched f1 but I've also seen Schumacher from day one and it's the same vibe, you've taken a liking to this driver early on BEFORE the major success and you have gone on the ride with him from your arm chair through the ups and downs and all the success that it will take a pretty good driver to fill that void again once Vettel leaves, for you that is, I was like that with Schumacher but you just learn to deal with it I guess. Plus there's still a few good years in Vettel yet, so let's look forward to more brilliant driving from the German, in all honesty after his brilliant drive in Baku Iam starting to re-evaluate vettels position on where I think he's sits on the list of fastest drivers. The last 14 months of continuously trying to push Ferrari forward and doing the best possible all the time also made me concider it. But then I see Ricciardo as doing the same with redbull, they were in a pretty bad way once Vettel left and Ricciardo and the team have slowly improved over the last 14 or so months as well, so even though I rekon Ricciardo is the faster and better driver, NOW at this stage I think the both are dead even, just it seems the redbull and Ferrari alternate at each race, who's faster of the two, that's my honest opinion as this point of time.

Any thoughts how Brexit might affect F1? Value of British currency has to be weighed against USD, because that't how CVC arranged, and while British labor force is paid in local currency, any imported resources will be more expensive, should GBP not recover. On the long run it takes a lot of guessing what's next. Silverstone must pay in USD for the event, so I am hearing.

Yeah silver stone will have to pay USD because the pound is at a 30 year low. See how people freak when there currency is worth nothing? The Australian dollar has always been worth nothing compared to the USD,pound or euro. So we need to save double or triple because we loose it when we change it over, that's why tourism on the Gold Coast here booms because people from us and Europe and to save FA to come to Australia. This is all part of a grand scheme, it didn't just happen, this is the work of the powers that be, just look at the date is occurred, dead giveaway.

Speaking to Autocar at the Geneva motor show, Mercedes-Benz boss Dieter Zetsche said that a Brexit would cause "tremendous damage" to his firm's European plans.

Words difficult to interpret, however one version might be, that MB investment in UK might take a hit. Question now is, what are they going to do with the F1? My intuition is, they will not rush to judgement, and stay in UK until 2020, but after that it is anyones guess. They might even leave F1, and move to another motorsports. MB has long racing heritage; longer than most young fans actually know, but political and economical instability cannot yield anything good. It seems that people aren't grasping gravity of the situation and long term consequences. Nationalistic slogans will go only so far, and no further.  MB administrative expenses became complicated overnight. I bet there are some heated debates going on in EU business boardrooms right now, as their investment in UK was so badly devaluated just overnight.

People go crazy over something that technically doesn't exsist, just insane.

Money mate, you can't take it with you, we all die poor. 

i think radical posted the idea of moving back to a more "normal" steering wheel of they want to enforced such ridiculous regs. I have to agree, with the sports fetish over safety, I honestly can't see how this was over looked tbh.

...Which is why, in the absence of track testing in sufficient numbers, work on simulators seems important. As someone said, combination of inspiration and perspiration is priceless. Hamilton, to my knowledge, who is not a friend of work on simulator, is the only one who publicly complained and to whom media actually paid attention. Alonso said also something about it, but only after this became a topic after the race in Baku, yet they have this monstrosity on the steering wheel probably last 2.5 years.

Sounds like rosberg has all but signed for Mercedes again stating he will be there for years to come in a recent interview. 

The same he said actually already several weeks ago. The thing is, where he would go, and get a better machine? Ferrari, the only other lucrative alternative, is in no hurry to sign him up, thus he has to now focus to find his proper place where he is.

The question I want to know is who will drive for Toro Rosso? Of Sainz is Renault bound and even if Toro Rosso keep Kvyat, who will partner him? Who have they got that's ready to graduate to f1?