Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

This Is Just Stupid

It's all about money and court penalties and such because when things like senna and bianchi get to court it's always a case of "you could've done more" and then they rush into ridiculous safety measures to ensure they don't have to pay another grieving family in court. That's all it is. It's like formula one always has to explain itself in situations like this, when in reality,everyone including people who don't watch the sport, know it's dangerous and people can get killed. You simply can't make this sport 100% safe without doing more damage to the sports authenticity. You have to remove something else that's extremely drastic in order to add something of this magnitude. The only way I can see head safety improved is to raise the side of the c0ckpit even higher, maybe to the point you can just see a helmet and make larger mirrors for drivers to see better.

Here's a quick mock drawing of what I mean (excuse the lack of drawing ability)

119uly0.jpg

Obviously it will be harder for drivers to see beside them so allow bigger size mirrors would look better than that handrail on the cars. The air hole above the drivers head also would have to be modified like so or similar to comply with height regulations.

nice design. kindly make one halo for Bernie's head to cover his horns !

It's a joke, all these things they always implement come as a sacrifice from a driver. They get all into "safety mode" once ayrton died and some with bianchi, what ever happened to prevention? They act quickly after a tragic incident so they don't get struck with anymore law suits later down the track, if it wasn't about money, wouldn't they look into these things way before a driver sustains such an injury and kick starts the idea. You see my point?

You're right, a lot of it is about money given that Bianchi's father has said if he can find anyone to blame he will sue (or so I believe) and that is a major problem.

Having said that, given how many F1 drivers used to die on a regular basis I think most of the safety changes have been a good thing. I for one don't want to tune in to a race and watch people (be that drivers, marshalls etc.) die. My cousin races in the Historic Racing Drivers series, he had a serious accident last year, another car hit him and rolled his car. Thanks to the safety precautions he walked away from it virtually uninjured. It could have been so different. So yes, I am in favour of things that prevent us losing more drivers, I don't like half assed ideas that look like a knee jerk reaction that might actually make racing more dangerous. The halo may work out to be a bad idea, but at least they're trying to do something for whatever reason and however misguided it might turn out to be.

It's the circuits, there that safe now, you don't punished for a mistake, I'd rather keep those ridiculous run offs than a halo design concept.

nice design. kindly make one halo for Bernie's head to cover his horns !

That's the best they can do without imparing the drivers straight ahead visibility. It's all good asking for more head protection but if it's at a cost which will impair vision, then I beleive my idea of higher c#ckpit sides would work and it would still look half normal. Schumachers 96 Ferrari had extremely high c#ckpit sides and for some reason this never took off, it's the only solution IMO.

Well it's clear front on impact isn't the main focus otherwise they would have windshields so if it's side head protection then raise the sides of the c#ckpit.

Should just go back before they stuffed it all up from 1998 onwards.