Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

Nz Police Investigating Hamilton

I am not trying to downplay what Hamilton did. It was dumb. He's had trouble with traffic laws a number of times before. If he thinks his being a race car driver makes him immune to the risks of harming others on the road, he should Google Rob Moroso—the future star of NASCAR who killed an innocent woman and himself flying into an intersection while drunk. And while drunk driving is worse than sober speeding or sober selfie-ing or sober doughnut-doing, the things Hamilton has been found to have done, the point is the same: professional race car drivers have killed people on public roads.

But there are a few things said here that just aren't true, and I'd like to address them.

(1) Roger Penske would not do anything to Lewis Hamilton.

Roger Penske knowingly employed Al Unser, Jr., while Al was on cocaine, using marijuana, constantly drunk, and violent when drinking.

Roger Penske knowingly employed Rick Mears, who was an alcoholic and addicted to painkillers.

Roger Penske knowingly employed Jeremy Mayfield, who was making and using meth at the time, and eventually went on a downward spiral post-Penske into all kinds of crimes (that he mostly got away with only because the key witness against him died in a mysterious motorcycle crash).

Roger Penske knowingly employed A. J. Allmendinger, who was suspended by NASCAR for violating the drug policy for using amphetamines, which Allmendinger originally lied about, then lied again with a fabricated story about "coincidentally taking one Adderall" the night before the test (he was in rehab for like two months...probably not one Adderall...)

Roger Penske knowingly employed Kurt Busch, a known alcoholic with explosively violent verbal outbursts and uncontrolled anger. Busch, during his time at Penske, tried to take a swing at a woman at a baseball game while drunk. Prior to joining Penske, he'd gotten in trouble with the police for suspected drunk driving. During his time at Penske, Busch had a divorce due to his alcoholism. Busch was only fired when the sponsor had enough of his verbally abusive behavior. Busch went on, post-Penske, to be suspended for threatening a reporter, to trying to run over a NASCAR official on the track, and to being determined by a judge to have more likely than not strangled his then-girlfriend a week after whipping her with a seatbelt, with key evidence being Busch's constant text messages about an "incident" that took place. Busch further admitted that he was so emotionally messed up he, two nights before a big race, was lying naked on his floor sobbing because of a Brad Pitt film he had just watched.

Busch also admitted he believed in a lot of NASCAR conspiracies about Tony Stewart and hated everyone on his team. Busch's employees testified about the baseball game incident and testified that Busch's motorhome that he lives in on race weekends was filled with damage from Busch's violent outbursts after poor performances.

Roger Penske also fathered two sons who broke into a country club with intent to commit a misdemeanor. When they were caught by a group of women, one of his sons urinated on her.

So, Penske's not the guy.

(2) Race.

This incident is probably not the one where race has played a role. But to be so dismissive of the fact Hamilton encounters racial bias is, in my view, very naïve.

James Hunt and Kimi Räikkönen are idolized for their lifestyles. They're white.

Flavio Briatore, an actual convicted criminal, was much-loved for his colorful life. He's white.

Adrian Sutil stabbed a guy. Bertrand Gachot sprayed CS gas on a cab driver. Neither one got half the Sh#t Hamilton gets for being immature. But they're white.

Niki Lauda had a rapper friend, Falco. NASCAR star Denny Hamlin hangs out with rappers, Paris Hilton, all kinds of people, and is heavily rumored to use cocaine. Marco Andretti is equally in the drug rumors, is also good friends with Paris Hilton, dated Charlie Sheen's ex while she was in rehab, has Donald Trump's blessing, partied around with Frankie Muniz when he was racing, etc. Literally no one cared/cares. They're all white, though.

Kyle Busch got his license suspended for doing triple digits in a residential area, extremely reckless. No one mentioned it when he was champion last year. He's white.

Tomas Scheckter lost his ride for curb-crawling, but few people in America ever mentioned it during his fairly successful career here. He, too, had huge traffic citations that no one cared about. Hey, he's white.

Jenson Button made rude comments about women in a magazine when he was younger. He led a so-called playboy lifestyle. To date, he still doesn't settle down. But he's the bastion of maturity and who Hamilton should be, apparently. He's white, you know.

Giancarlo Fisichella got a huge speeding ticket once. Ross Brawn, too. And countless other white racing personalites. No one cares.

A lot of NASCAR drivers are wannabe country music groupies, the kind of thing Hamilton gets accused of with a different music scene. It's all good, though, because Blake Shelton and the NASCAR boys are white.

Can you imagine how people would react if Hamilton got in a fight with another driver? But when white drivers in America get physical, it's hilarious! Sure, part of that is a difference in F1 culture, generally, but even if Hamilton had some kind of shoving thing like Trulli and Sutil a few years back, Hamilton would be called racially charged words like "thug" that never met Trulli and Sutil.

There are a lot of race car drivers who use drugs. There are a lot of race car drivers who beat their spouses. There are a lot of race car drivers who bigoted, racist, vile people. There are a lot of race car drivers who cheat on their taxes and cheat on their spouses. There are a lot of race car drivers who are terrible parents to their children. There are a lot of race car drivers in therapy or seeing a sports psychologist privately to deal with anger issues. There are a lot of race car drivers who are not committed to racing or their teams. There are a lot of race car drivers in love with the celebrity life.

I have been "inside" racing enough to know this all as true.

But it sure seems to me that Hamilton gets infinitely more criticism for what he does than any of those drivers do when their dirty laundry goes public. The only consistency is that most of you hate Jacques Villeneuve as much as you hate Lewis Hamilton...

OK, substitute Penske for Brawn, and we may have a different scenario then.

Playing race card I think doesn't works well here. This Brit does and says a lot of things off track which I simply dislike for one reason or another. I am not sure where anyone else stands, but there are apparently people who do think he is walking on water. I am not one of them. (If it will make you feel better, I do not like Alonso much either).

JV - I used to be his fan while in Atlantic series. Then he moved up, and began to werbally trash F1, only a few months later to move to Williams (and inadquate series). That was a breaking point for me. Today I don't care.

OK, substitute Penske for Brawn, and we may have a different scenario then.

Playing race card I think doesn't works well here. This Brit does and says a lot of things off track which I simply dislike for one reason or another. I am not sure where anyone else stands, but there are apparently people who do think he is walking on water. I am not one of them. (If it will make you feel better, I do not like Alonso much either).

JV - I used to be his fan while in Atlantic series. Then he moved up, and began to werbally trash F1, only a few months later to move to Williams (and inadquate series). That was a breaking point for me. Today I don't care.

Brawn would be hypocritical to intervene over a traffic violation: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/8238667.stm

This one incident is probably not racially motivated, but I really do think the general attitude of negativity toward Hamilton has racial components. People idolize immature white wealth. Young, rich, famous white people giving zero ****s and living the jet-setting life...that's portrayed so positively in the media and worshiped by a lot of folks. But when young, rich, famous black people do the same, they're "thugs."

I am more than convinced that Hamilton would receive Räikkönen and Hunt levels if he were white. "Wow, a white guy with visible neck tattoos! A white guy with hip-hop artists and other recording industry participants for friends! A white guy running around with extremely famous and attractive women! A white guy partying it up in Monaco! A white guy traveling the world and winning Grands Prix and being a jerk in traffic!" They'd love him, and I know they would because they already love all the white analogues of Hamilton.

I think it is fine to be dissatisfied with Hamilton. I think it is fine to be disappointed with Hamilton's behavior. I think it is fine for Hamilton to get in trouble for this, with the law, with his team, with his sponsors. But I also think that the generalized, overly critical attitude of Hamilton's lifestyle is racially motivated because white drivers doing the same kinds of things are not subject to the same harshness. They're cool. They're badasses. They're outlaws. They're the "anti-PC that F1 needs."

At least you mentioned F1's real "thug," the one who grabbed a photographer, threw him to the ground, and broke his expensive camera.

c89e9948da3f514328db2575e092d4c036812c2c5f68e93d1ab36db62e6a511d.jpg

The way people speak of Hamilton, you'd think he was the one who assaulted someone.

Penske will surely chew Hamilton because Roger is a Redneck and they hate blacks.

Good point.

Hamilton might not be the only person in F1 who perhaps leads "diferent" life style, but it is painfully obvious, that he is very transparent with it, and therefore exposed to comments of many kinds. Lauda was once quoted (paraphrasing) - "We have two drivers. One is normal, and the other one is different". Make of it what you will.

He is a racer. What do you expect him to be....a tame little puppy? I think most racers have violated a few traffic laws in their life.

Lewis was ticketed and fined driving down a French Motorway at 121mph. There is one case though, whereas Jenson was faster than Hamilton, because he was ticketed also on a French Motorway traveling at a 141mph.

Not to get off topic too far, but I wonder what would happen if Grosjean (French guy) was cought travelling at those speeds on British motorway, disregarding laws of the country?

Brawn would be hypocritical to intervene over a traffic violation: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/8238667.stm

This one incident is probably not racially motivated, but I really do think the general attitude of negativity toward Hamilton has racial components. People idolize immature white wealth. Young, rich, famous white people giving zero ****s and living the jet-setting life...that's portrayed so positively in the media and worshiped by a lot of folks. But when young, rich, famous black people do the same, they're "thugs."

I am more than convinced that Hamilton would receive Räikkönen and Hunt levels if he were white. "Wow, a white guy with visible neck tattoos! A white guy with hip-hop artists and other recording industry participants for friends! A white guy running around with extremely famous and attractive women! A white guy partying it up in Monaco! A white guy traveling the world and winning Grands Prix and being a jerk in traffic!" They'd love him, and I know they would because they already love all the white analogues of Hamilton.

I think it is fine to be dissatisfied with Hamilton. I think it is fine to be disappointed with Hamilton's behavior. I think it is fine for Hamilton to get in trouble for this, with the law, with his team, with his sponsors. But I also think that the generalized, overly critical attitude of Hamilton's lifestyle is racially motivated because white drivers doing the same kinds of things are not subject to the same harshness. They're cool. They're badasses. They're outlaws. They're the "anti-PC that F1 needs."

At least you mentioned F1's real "thug," the one who grabbed a photographer, threw him to the ground, and broke his expensive camera.

c89e9948da3f514328db2575e092d4c036812c2c5f68e93d1ab36db62e6a511d.jpg

The way people speak of Hamilton, you'd think he was the one who assaulted someone.

Good point.

Excellent Massa, and a well thought out analysis, like your post #27.

Well, Massa most likely meant well, but it should not escape to a careful reader, that this essay generalizes a lot as well. "People idolize immature white wealth". I am not sure in which country those people are, but I assure everyone, they do not live in my house. I went to some other forums, curious what's the mood in ranks, and I've left with impression, that people who do like Hamilton, they are OK with how he lives, and those who do not like him, will let him have it. But wait, isn't this true for most drivers? While we have Telfonso on the grid who can't do wrong, take Vettel on the opposing polarization pole; should he lift a finger on the podium as his sign of pleasure in victory, vast majority of his detractors is ready to call on the Queen to bomb Germany in return...

No one said that fans and media are all rational people. Just think for example of our CEO, how he likes F1, and stating so loudly, and you think Hamilton has problems?

@Massa

Your not seeing my point, some drivers behave in ways you mentioned yes. But can you remember when he came into f1? I quiet little boy, he was polite to the media and yeah he lied in Melbourne but it was his first season, I beleive he was just doing as he was told. Now he sacked his father and won a few titles, he has put this image in himself "that he can do what he wants as no one is better than me" that's my point. Like I said, someone of the same calibre needs to bring him down a level or two, if I was dan or Seb sitting beside him in That press conference, I would've said something to him in front of the cameras and let him make an idiot if himself again, crap give me his number, I'll ring and call him a knob.

Well, Massa most likely meant well

No, I did not. I had terrible intentions. As the moderator of this forum, my goal is to post the worst garbage I can think of and make sure no one has any interest whatsoever in reading or replying. It is my hope to incite terrible fights, drive away the entire user base, and make people wish they had never even heard of F1.

@Massa

Your not seeing my point, some drivers behave in ways you mentioned yes. But can you remember when he came into f1? I quiet little boy, he was polite to the media and yeah he lied in Melbourne but it was his first season, I beleive he was just doing as he was told. Now he sacked his father and won a few titles, he has put this image in himself "that he can do what he wants as no one is better than me" that's my point. Like I said, someone of the same calibre needs to bring him down a level or two, if I was dan or Seb sitting beside him in That press conference, I would've said something to him in front of the cameras and let him make an idiot if himself again, crap give me his number, I'll ring and call him a knob.

I am fine with the notion that, at 31, Hamilton should be past a lot of this, so long as that notion is equally that, at 462 or however old Räikkönen is, he, too, should be past a lot of his stuff.

But I'm not so fine with advancing the alternative that, at 31, he should be a quiet little boy.

Raikkonen is nothing like an idiot like Hamilton is and he had also calmed down a lot. You don't hear anything about kimi anymore and when you did it wasn't a weekly or fortnightly habit and also kimi wasn't stupid enough to post it on his own Twitter or Facebook page, that's the funniest bit. I thought Hamilton would've been more smarter than that.

Umm when was the last time Kimi got up to any antics? His drunken escapades in a strip club, on a boat and gorilla suit outings are well and truly over. He's basically a married man with an awesome partner and kid. Kimi is well past old news when it comes to schnangians and antics sadly ;(, cause he's honestly had quite a good genuine good ones haha. Ice Cream anyone?

What can anyone say of Hamilton that was actually funny, fun or awesome? Has he said or done anything worthy of even being compared to the Kimster?

Him on his phone while other we're talking in the press conference did it for me, someone should b17ch slap him.

Him on his phone while other we're talking in the press conference did it for me, someone should b17ch slap him.

Hamil****ington was just showing his sourness as a loser - again harhar.gif

I can't beleive how obvious he makes his lack of respect.