Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

2016 Bahrain

what's happening to Kvyat doesn't look right, has anyone here got the top speeds for each driver? that would be an interesting start, it might be that he suddenly forgot how to drive (which is possible, there're only human and as such they can lose their focus) or we have to start thinking that Verstappen is desperatly wanted at RBR. The fact that they openly say that Kvyat might go to STR rather than being dropped altogether seems odd, if he's good he should stay where he is, if he's not very good I'm sure they would have plenty of young hopefuls willing to filling Verstappen's vacancy at Toro Rosso

Did'nt know that

Kvyat was quoted saying that when nothing is in stake, he is on the par or ahead of DR, however at critical sessions suddenly car behaves differently, and he cannot get performance out of it. One can think about it whatever one wants. I am not a fan of the Russian, far from that, but I have some unanswered, similar questions about 2014 myself. I am of course open to a reason that a human condition can falter, but when a perfromance curve is too erratic, one has to take some other factors into consideration. What's happening to Kvyat is a noise on the signal, meaning, there is something else in the play, other than his mood.

Ferrari promised upgrade with bugs fixed by Spain... Vettel already 35 off Rosberg

From Ferrari website, Seb stated, paraphrasing, "now we need to understand the problem". Do you see the discrepancy? First you need to diagnose a root cause, verify you got correct understanding, find remedy, validate remedy, generate plan for corrective measures and only then one can make statements when they are going to have things fixed. I do not wish to be lecturing anyone, but merely pointing out, based on my experience, I have my doubts, that Ferrari knows at the moment what to fix, if they can fix it, never-mind when it will be fixed.

I should have said - that was yesterday. Maybe overnight they generated some ideas which will be now attacked by several engineering focus groups, so, we will have to wait.

From Ferrari website, Seb stated, paraphrasing, "now we need to understand the problem". Do you see the discrepancy? First you need to diagnose a root cause, verify you got correct understanding, find remedy, validate remedy, generate plan for corrective measures and only then one can make statements when they are going to have things fixed. I do not wish to be lecturing anyone, but merely pointing out, based on my experience, I have my doubts, that Ferrari knows at the moment what to fix, if they can fix it, never-mind when it will be fixed.

I should have said - that was yesterday. Maybe overnight they generated some ideas which will be now attacked by several engineering focus groups, so, we will have to wait.

Yeah, I see your point, lets remember its a revolutionery approach by Ferrari, bugs are bound to happen, even tho Ferrari is a team steeped with good reliability records. Let's hope sooner than later

Kvyat was quoted saying that when nothing is in stake, he is on the par or ahead of DR, however at critical sessions suddenly car behaves differently, and he cannot get performance out of it. One can think about it whatever one wants. I am not a fan of the Russian, far from that, but I have some unanswered, similar questions about 2014 myself. I am of course open to a reason that a human condition can falter, but when a perfromance curve is too erratic, one has to take some other factors into consideration. What's happening to Kvyat is a noise on the signal, meaning, there is something else in the play, other than his mood.

This.

F1 has become so predictable that the press are now inventing stories that are so far from the truth that they [the press] should be banned from attending races. Amongst other things, the suggestion that Vandoorne drove JB into the ground is so far from the facts to be slanderous. No top team is going to hire a slow driver are they? When Jenson's DRS failed he had made up 7 or 8 places from the start and was two seconds ahead of Stoffel on the road. Extremely bad luck. Magnussen did well in his debut race too. Why? - well the car was competitive. If you are any good and you can't put a good car in the points you shouldn't be there. There is a lot of great talent out there but we mustn't over estimate it's worth. Pointless being quick if you beach the car in P1 or qualify well and then mangle the front wing at Turn 1. When you see these guys charging away in the last few laps the commentators are choking on praise and wonderment when all that's generally happening is a guy doing a job he should have done earlier but had to go for new boots with 10 laps to go. Get it in perspective, I say. Bernie is now talking Sh#t most of the time and I can see the teams breaking away unless we get someone with a clear mandate running the sport. There was never anything wrong before Newey built a genius car for RBR. We flinched to early and look where we are now. Play stations on wheels with crap tyres and girly engines. There is still a dominant team and there always will be but it goes in phases. We have destroyed a sport that we all loved for one we love to hate. Bloody nonsense.

what's happening to Kvyat doesn't look right, has anyone here got the top speeds for each driver? that would be an interesting start, it might be that he suddenly forgot how to drive (which is possible, there're only human and as such they can lose their focus) or we have to start thinking that Verstappen is desperatly wanted at RBR. The fact that they openly say that Kvyat might go to STR rather than being dropped altogether seems odd, if he's good he should stay where he is, if he's not very good I'm sure they would have plenty of young hopefuls willing to filling Verstappen's vacancy at Toro Rosso

Here you go:

http://www.fia.com/f...?token=FaSDat_K

Kvyat is IMO underestimated by internet media. I am not fan of his, but it is sad how low some people get.

I missed the race. How did Grosjean end up fifth? Wow.

Cool to see Vandoorne score a point and run out-qualify Button. I suspect he'll do a lot of winning in Super Formula this year, and maybe even a bit of winning in F1 some day...

...though I think it is worth noting that it used to be impressive for someone to make their F1 debut in a McLaren and come on the podium, like Hamilton and Magnussen, and now it's just solid if they score a single point. With points paying all the way back to P10. What a mess.

Seeing Rosberg build up a big points lead early may help the championship play out with more excitement, as I still don't believe he can best Hamilton forever. But maybe Hamilton can beat himself. He's done it before. I don't advance any kind of insight when I speculate that a driver could easily lose focus after two dominant WDCs. The fact Schumacher and Vettel, among others, never stopped wanting to win so badly no matter how often they did it is what makes them so special, I think.

I'm sure you were all fascinated to read thoughts of someone who didn't even watch. :)

Here you go:

http://www.fia.com/f...?token=FaSDat_K

Kvyat is IMO underestimated by internet media. I am not fan of his, but it is sad how low some people get.

Kvyat drive an incredible race and fought his way back. Kimi had some nice pace to, deserves his second, Ricciardo did well but it was grosjean fight and passing cars he shouldn't be able to and once again drove the wheels of that car. Not bad for someone booted out the sport for causing to any accidents and making mistakes, he may have taken a bit longer to "mature" but he is coming on strong now. Good job.

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/560037/Brundle_F1_politics_maddening/

I did look at again, and again at the incident between Bottas and Hamilton, and my impression is, that Bottas had that corner. He was alongside Hamilton, and on his right without any track space. Why stewards saw it differently puzzles me, because one could accuse them from undeserved favoritism to a one driver. Link shows the incident from several angles.

http://www.fia.com/e...g-information-8

Here you go. Requested information, and more, is to be found in FiA records.

thanks Sakae for the data, what's puzzling is that Kvyat's top speed was actually higher than Ricciardo's... one secondo per lap in the very same car is a huge delta, it's the difference between a very very good driver and a very very poor one (making some minor mistakes), I still don't beleieve that Kvyat is 1 second slower than Ricciardo. we shall see what happens in the next races

Lmao the inconsistencies around here are hilarious.

http://www.gptoday.c...tics_maddening/

I did look at again, and again at the incident between Bottas and Hamilton, and my impression is, that Bottas had that corner. He was alongside Hamilton, and on his right without any track space. Why stewards saw it differently puzzles me, because one could accuse them from undeserved favoritism to a one driver. Link shows the incident from several angles.

I'd say that it was a racing incident for the simple reason that I don't believe that Hamilton realised that he had Bottas coming on to get him on turn 1, however Hamilton IMHO was very lucky because he could have ended up with some significant damage to his car. He needs to improve his starts otherwise he'll end up in the pack again and this would dramatically increase the risk of someone hitting him

It's funny how bottas had this corner but not Russia 2015, how did you come up with the analogy but not apply it to the other one aswell?

It's funny how bottas had this corner but not Russia 2015, how did you come up with the analogy but not apply it to the other one aswell?

I am not sure to whom this comment was addressed, but since I used those words -- had this corner --, then I chip in. First of all I did not comment on Russia 2015. In the last race, and based on video provided at courtesy of Sky, seeing it from several angles, I must say that Bottas did nothing wrong but raced. I do recall from several years ago that Whiting postulated that FiA considers a car to be alongside, a position to which front car has to yield, when rear axle and front axel are at the same level. In Bahrain, I have concluded, that Bottas was in much more advanced position, thus Hamilton committed an error. That's my opinion.

IMHO there is a fundamental difference between the first corner and any other corner during the race, when you go into the first corner it's very difficult to see (from those mirrors) who's behind you and what they're doing. In russia last year Bottas had only one (bright red) car behind him, he had all the tools to know what was happening, whereas I don't think that Hamilton was in the same position last Sunday. I've always been told to be extra careful at the start of a race compared to what goes on afterwards for that very reason

Gro has been voted by fans, the driver of the race. It's second time this season, or 2 for 2. Not bad comeback for someone who was race-banned, and humiliated by certain segment of media.

When I was racing karts and I didn't qualify at the front and I came into the first corner and karts where everywhere, I would make my decision just before I brake if I would be going outside or inside, I had no pre-set knowing of where I would go. Same goes for drivers, but all Iam saying is that use consistency When critising drivers and don't let your dislike or like for a fellow driver impede your comments. Iam just saying people in general.

When I was racing karts and I didn't qualify at the front and I came into the first corner and karts where everywhere, I would make my decision just before I brake if I would be going outside or inside, I had no pre-set knowing of where I would go. Same goes for drivers, but all Iam saying is that use consistency When critising drivers and don't let your dislike or like for a fellow driver impede your comments. Iam just saying people in general.

You are proving that I don't criticise drivers based on who I like or who I don't like: I'm not particularly keen on Bottas yet I accept that it wasn't only his fault and that it was a racing incident

I do not understand on what basis the stewards penalize him with drive through. Seems as bias decision due to worries what British media might scream.

It was a horrible decision to dive into the corner like that at the start of a gp and leaving it up to chance with drivers all around you. Glad he got the penalty! That guy has a big problem with decision-making spatial awareness