Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

Australian Gp To Move To Gold Coast

Recently on the local paper there has been talks of the Queensland government trying to get the formula one when its Melbourne deal runs out in 2023. Apparently in an interview with bernie he is open to the idea saying if Melbourne isn't reknewed after 2023 that he would look at this possibility. What do you think? Well I live 10 minutes away from surfers paradise and the race circuit that used to host the champcars but now host only a v8 supercar round on a shortened version of the old champcar circuit. The old circuit can't be used as there is a tram system through that part of town now so the cars would have to run on the very short v8 circuit. For years car enthusiasts like my self have placed petitions with the local council to ask for a proper racing facility built on the Gold Coast and it just falls on deaf ears. Even petitions when I was signed up to my karting club for just a karting circuit to host major races, and nothing. I used to have to drive at least 2 hours north or 3 hours south to get to a proper karting circuit, but I bet the council would now build it if they got this. There currently blowing budget on redeveloping basically the whole city as we have the 2018 commonwealth games here. This government is a joke so I can't see it working any better than Melbourne, what you think?

Several recent articles were in a hurry to offer Gold Coast as a replacement venue for Monza, rather than a replacement for Melbourne.

This is in line with well known BE's negotiating style in a public arena. In this case, it was - we do not need Italy.

Which is a load of bs if you ask me, I just can't understand why he would even question monza's position as its a historical circuit.

I am not sure why this man still can surprise you. His modus operandi basically hasn't changed much in past 25 years.

Not going to happen 1000% IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. The GC Council and QLD Gvt can't even get a light rail to the airport with the upcoming Commonwealth Games in 2 years time. Hosting F1 would be way beyond those capabilities.

for the sake of F1 lets hope Bernie ain't around in 2023

Not going to happen 1000% IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. The GC Council and QLD Gvt can't even get a light rail to the airport with the upcoming Commonwealth Games in 2 years time. Hosting F1 would be way beyond those capabilities.

Good point, they would have plenty of money if the local council people took a pay cut. Eveyone has to suffer either through a tax increase or tax for this or that and there the only people getting pay rises. Might just put my blind fold on like the rest of the public. I was forced to vote, after years of refusing to, they sign me up themselves. How's that? I still can't get over there biggest scam, not making registration labels for your car anymore so you have to really be on it in terms of rego expiry or they will book you on the road. Instead of just checking your sticker like in the past, you now have to download an app or remember the one letter you get to pay your rego with is your only reminder as well. How many oldies you think they have scammed out on this? I'd hate to imagine.

for the life of me I don't understand why F1 is not at Philip Island, Like Moto GP has been held there for years so It must have the necessary safety standards !!

You guys don't get me wrong, but any race in your neck of woods is really not convenient for me, because at 3 am I have better things to do.

Well every circuit needs an fia grade of 1 and

Apparently surfers paradise had 2 so it wasn't deemed safe enough by formula one standards. But we have the land to build a nice racing facility or even just have the race a bit further down or have it towards the spit past SeaWorld.

Can they just do me one big favor?

Move the Australian GP back to a pure day race. There used to be a great excitement in Sebring ending around 10:30 PM here and the new F1 season starting at 11:00. Now, Sebring blows (is it even on TV anymore?) and the Grand Prix starts at 2:30 AM or something. How inconvenient to me personally, and therefore terrible for the entire sporting universe.

How bad is it for locals and People like me who live in the country? They push the race back to a 4:30pm start time from what I belejve used to be 1-1:30? The race is now lucky to finish with

Enough natural light which IMO causes added safety concerns so people in Europe don't have to wake up all hours of the morning to watch. Big woop, so they don't have to do something like myself and every other die hard f1 does and that's get up at 2 am to watch races and have done so for years. Sport only caters for people with more money and it's sad as "kool monkey" said, we had normal TV reports and people from mid day talk shows doing f1 coverage. Ffs can't pronounce names, don't know who they are and act like they have a knowledge about the sport that allows them to converse but it just makes them look stupid.

I bet they could raise the money to keep the GP in Melbourne if they had an Icehouse concert. I'd pay far too much money to go see Icehouse, V8 Supercars, and even sit through that F1 stuff in the same weekend.

And again, what I personally would do is what is best for the entire sporting universe.

The location for the OZ GP blows. I'm over it. It's boring and very unexciting. Having it at twilight is dangerous period. There has to be a better place for it, but Melbourne pays the fee so they get it.

I've always disliked Albert park. Should of stayed in Adelaide or swapped to the Gold Coast back when champ cars were there. Back then we had a government willing to spend on other sports besides friggen cricket or football.

If anyone had any doubts whether CVC/FOM decisions are driven either by money or what's good for the sport, there you have it. The answer is loud and without ambiguity.