Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

radical-one

To Save F1, What Needs To Be Done ?

Speaking of haas, if kimi does get dropped by Ferrari or he leaves, I could see him at haas alongside grisjean again.

Ask for? ...maybe Ferrari on top... just brainstorming, nothing much more than that.

Ahh Sakae, we'd like that but I'm not so sure all F1 fans would. We can hope though ;)

Speaking of haas, if kimi does get dropped by Ferrari or he leaves, I could see him at haas alongside grisjean again.

I think if Kimi leaves Ferrari he will leave F1, I don't see him going to another team myself, but who knows?

Yeah I used to think that but recently I read a story about kimi and he said he would drive for someone else if he left Ferrari, but who knows, I could seem him at haas though and I think he would fit right in, good way to earn more support as Americans would remember him for his short NASCAR fiddle.

I had a thought, it's my birthday tomorrow, I'll make my birthday wish one to improve F1, fingers crossed it will all be sorted out by that wink.pnglmavfa.gif

Happy birthday for tomorrow, hope your wish comes true for yours and everyone's sake lol.

Thanks :) Yes as of tomorrow F1 will be magically fixed king.gif I have that power.

And if you believe that, you'll believe anything loljump.gif

Thanks :) Yes as of tomorrow F1 will be magically fixed king.gif I have that power.

And if you believe that, you'll believe anything loljump.gif

Hey I have to pretend to believe my local government so Ian used to it lol.

Happy birthday, Lyria.

Sakae

Thanks Sakae, I'm having a good day already :)

http://www.grandprix...-more-solid-f1/

We don't mincing words, do we? Ecclestein must be pleased to hear about Sergi's plan. I would add, if it is not too late already, then sooner the better. Fixing F1 requires professional managers, and I don't think we have it now.

HOSTILE TAKEOVER or MUTINY ON THE DECK?

“It would be perfect,” said the Italian-Canadian. “Ferrari built its myth by beating the best – beating Manor does not build a myth.”
Herein it is a reason why Tier 1 and Tier 2, never will be the same. I said this in 2005 and it is still true today.

ECCLESTONE’S MOTHER-IN-LAW KIDNAPPED IN BRAZIL

Perhaps the kidnappers are trying to save F1 - kidding.

Honestly, I think it is a long shot to get a single dollar from Bernie....

It is pretty standard business in Brazil. I gather they are asking for $36 million. That is cheaper than hosting a grand prix.

Funny how his mother in law is 18 years younger than him, her daughter wouldn't be some gold digger now would she?

5 hours ago, Ruslan said:

It is pretty standard business in Brazil. I gather they are asking for $36 million. That is cheaper than hosting a grand prix.

Still Bernie wouldprobabaly agree to a $3,000 deal instead or will be happy to lose his MomInLaw.

5 hours ago, Emmcee said:

Funny how his mother in law is 18 years younger than him, her daughter wouldn't be some gold digger now would she?

Precisely. I'm sure they weren't happy with how little Bernie's support to their family so they are doing the standard way of getting more.

I'm 95% sure that it's an inside job - Bernie being cheapskate might go for a cheaper solution - divorce ! 

Lately in every edition of news I open in the morning scan, world seems to be coming apart at the seams. Aren't there any good news available anymore? Wrongdoings of many years ultimately found their echo.

F1 is so complex on every level that it would be impossible to address the many issues that are seriously damaging the sport.  But on the back of a fag packet I've scribbled down a few thoughts.

• The people who own F1 don't know what they have got.  Primarily do they see F1 as a business, or entertainment, or as a sport?  From their actions and dealings in F1 I think they see it as a business first, followed by TV entertainment show second and lastly as a sport.  This is wrong.  It is a sport first, second and third.  Whatever plays out because of the sport is simply a by-product.  Why do we go to countries with no history of motor racing, let alone F1.  The crowds are pathetic, empty grandstand, there's no atmosphere and no sense of occasion.  Contrast China or Abu Dhabi with Silverstone or Mexico or Italy.  Traditional GP's with history fall from the calendar so we can go to Azerbaijan, or South Korea or India or Turkey.  All because the owners make more money from doing deals with these countries as the costs of staging a GP is so prohibitive.  Short-termism.  These races are on the calendar for 3 years and then disappear when they can't afford to renew, unless you're China or one of the Gulf states.  The TV feed shows the cars going around a circuit and nobody in the grandstands and no atmosphere and people turn off they TVs because even in motor racing you can sense the crowd through the TV when you're watching unlike Silverstone, Mexico, Monza, Germany, but the traditional races are constantly under threat.
  • Rules, rules, rules.  Too many of them.  What you see on a Sunday might not be the result because the stewards have to intervene and get the rule book out and start applying penalties for transgressions.  Go over the track limits more than 3 times (only on certain corners) in a race, penalty.  Talking to your race engineer about anything other than the weather, penalty.  Defensive driving, penalty.  Ignoring 3 blue flags, penalty.  Changing a gearbox, penalty.  Let them race for God's sake.
  • Who makes the technical rules?  Is it the teams?  Is it the FIA?  Is it the owners of F1?  No it's all of them and because of that it's a mess.  Why have we got hybrid engines now?  Because Renault said that if F1 didn't go down this route they would pull out.  So we went hybrid with all of the costs that entailed.  Why are the teams restricted in terms of testing and changing components on the car?  Because the FIA wants to control costs of the teams.  But hang on they're paying a fortune for the hybrid technology in the first place, it doesn't make sense.
  • No new drivers coming through.  Teams are inclined to be conservative in their driver selection as they believe that experience is important.  It is to a certain extent but I would rather have a young up and coming charger rather than a 250+ GP veteran known quantity.  In the past when you got to 175-200 GP that was your career over.  Now we've got drivers with 300+ GP's and they are doing the same job as they've always done (Massa, Button, Raikonen).  Teams need to be braver in driver selection, get rid of the old wood, let them go off and do Le Mans.  Bring in the younger drivers who are keen and have recently won something in the lower formulas.  Stir the pot.
  • Too much technology in the pits and too many engineers.  Teams have so much information available to them there's very variety in their tactics or strategy.  They know before they arrive at the circuit of the best, optimal result they can achieve given a variety of circumstances.  I like the thought of the "... lets chuck it on and see if it works" approach in certain situations.

Just a few thoughts, I got a load more but time is pressing.

Wow, someone is actually posting relevant comments about the subject of the thread !!!

OK, I'll give an opinion (that will definitely get a response from Sakae)....

What needs to be done is a budget cap. Lets say for the sake of discussion you put in a cap of $240 million, can patrol it (relatively easy), can provide some accounting for engines, established facilities, etc.....then what have you managed to achieve?

1. You can remove all other cost control efforts.

2. You can freely allow testing. It costs money, so they will have to do the trade-offs over how they want to spend their time and money.

3. Suddenly teams like Williams won't find themselves in a constant uphill climb unable to ever get to the top because of financial reasons.

4. Suddenly teams like Mercedes won't be able to outspend the opponents, hire 1,400 people, and win world championships by brute force.

5. You will have more fully funded teams, instead of just four well-funded teams and seven also-rans.

6. You will have more teams, more drivers and more opportunities. People can actually enter F1 and compete at the top level if they are good enough.

7. It suddenly becomes a sport of the best driver & team, vice the team with the biggest budget.

8. Paid drivers become less needed.

Downsides:

1. I can't actually think of any ( I am sure other people will list some). But in the end, I want competition with high tech racing teams, We are not getting that. Control the money and have a fair and open competition.

People need to wake up to bernies transparent scam. I've said it a million times before, where is this money going? If they keep cutting costs like they supposedly have been doing for ten years, where's this saved money? It hasn't been injected back into the sport that's for sure otherwise you wouldn't need to keep cutting costs, it's all going into bernies pocket. People need to stand up and expose this fraud and refuse to race or run races until he is stood down. He is using extortion to force GP organisers to pay his rediculous fees. It's all a big scam and I can see it clear as day. What's sus to me is how Mercedes got the funding to be so dominant in the first place as we all know you get more funding depending on results and there results at the beginning weren't so crash hot, then New regs come in and there leaps and bounds ahead, under the table deal to get Mercedes name back at the top I rekon. The only to level out the playing field without going to a one make car for all is to make sure every team starts building there new car at the same time. To bad if you want to start development on next years car, you have to wait for the approval of the fia before hand and then everyone can start at the same time.

People need to wake up to bernies transparent scam. I've said it a million times before, where is this money going? If they keep cutting costs like they supposedly have been doing for ten years, where's this saved money? It hasn't been injected back into the sport that's for sure otherwise you wouldn't need to keep cutting costs, it's all going into bernies pocket. People need to stand up and expose this fraud and refuse to race or run races until he is stood down. He is using extortion to force GP organisers to pay his rediculous fees. It's all a big scam and I can see it clear as day. What's sus to me is how Mercedes got the funding to be so dominant in the first place as we all know you get more funding depending on results and there results at the beginning weren't so crash hot, then New regs come in and there leaps and bounds ahead, under the table deal to get Mercedes name back at the top I rekon. The only to level out the playing field without going to a one make car for all is to make sure every team starts building there new car at the same time. To bad if you want to start building the car early, fia approval is needed and then it allows everyone to start at the same time. Keep the testing bans in place and you rock up in Melbourne with what you have, not one team who is struggling to make it to the grid while others already have updates with them.

Also, stop making regulation changes for 2-3 seasons. This way, the non-works team can catch up with the development thus closing the grid gap.