Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

radical-one

To Save F1, What Needs To Be Done ?

1 hour ago, radical-one said:

Japanese tires are generally better

Pirelli is getting black eye because of racing tire, which is however compromised by external factors, such as (vague?) specifications issued by FiA, inadequate track testing (not due to their own fault), and finally by the fact that they are involved, for some inexplicable reasons, in part, designing a race strategy; something I've never understood why. Pirelli commuter tire is not a bad product. Having said that, my car had actually Bridgestone on them. Michelin was however also quite good, and slightly less expensive, and therefore cost v. performance, choosing those was (in my case) an economic decision. 

I don't agree with that for the simple reason look at 2009/2010. Bridgestone would've had the same time to construct the slick tyre as Pirelli did, they can't go of past knowledge because it's a totally different tyre structure. Yet Bridgestone still delivered a high quality tyre, it's not because of the race tyre alone, there road tyre/semi race tyres are complete crap also.

12 hours ago, Sakae said:

Pirelli is getting black eye because of racing tire, which is however compromised by external factors, such as (vague?) specifications issued by FiA, inadequate track testing (not due to their own fault), and finally by the fact that they are involved, for some inexplicable reasons, in part, designing a race strategy; something I've never understood why. Pirelli commuter tire is not a bad product. Having said that, my car had actually Bridgestone on them. Michelin was however also quite good, and slightly less expensive, and therefore cost v. performance, choosing those was (in my case) an economic decision. 

I had a different experience Sakae on Road tire and Slicks. I had to change my Pirreli PZero Neros on my road car just after 2 months bec. of horrible vibrations.

On Slicks, Again, the Pirreli were so Sub-par against the Dunlops and Bridgestones. The P2 Slicks were vibrating constantly on the straights particularly at Fuji speedway long straight. The Dunlops on the other hand were so long lasting as well as the Bridgestones and the grip is far better - no vibrations. Michellin road tires - No complains but Slicks only lasts 9-11 laps then the grip goes away. No Vibrations though.

My Overall rating ;

Road tire - Bridgestone, Michellin, Dunlop , Pirelli

Slicks - Bridgestone , Dunlop, Michellin, Pirreli

1 hour ago, radical-one said:

I had a different experience Sakae on Road tire and Slicks. I had to change my Pirreli PZero Neros on my road car just after 2 months bec. of horrible vibrations.

On Slicks, Again, the Pirreli were so Sub-par against the Dunlops and Bridgestones. The P2 Slicks were vibrating constantly on the straights particularly at Fuji speedway long straight. The Dunlops on the other hand were so long lasting as well as the Bridgestones and the grip is far better - no vibrations. Michellin road tires - No complains but Slicks only lasts 9-11 laps then the grip goes away. No Vibrations though.

My Overall rating ;

Road tire - Bridgestone, Michellin, Dunlop , Pirelli

Slicks - Bridgestone , Dunlop, Michellin, Pirreli

I must accept that, because there was time I used to drive for a while on Good Year when I owned an American made vehicle. After that I drove German stuff with Bridgestone or Michelin mounted on them, thus my tangible - commuter only - experience is limited to those brands. (But I did not have any issues with either of them).  Regarding Pirelli my information is only second hand, just as I am reading it now.

Trust me sakae, Pirelli are absolute crap, Bridgestone is far superior to anything on the market.

I Can't agree more to Jacques here. It's what I hate the most in current F1 - the DRS !! :furious::furious:

VILLENEUVE: SADLY F1 WENT WRONG WHEN IT LISTENED TO FANS

No f1 went wrong when they (team owners and such) surrendered all there rights and simply agreed on regulations just to get the fia of there backs. Obviously they were forced to but since they have literally given up all there rights by letting them pass such rediculous sport regulations from 1998 up until today instead of just leaving f1 how it was and accepting how it was. I watch clips of particularly the 97 season and see how fluent and authentic and simply amazing the sport was, now it can't even be reproduced when they try to aim manufacturing towards it, all because they try to manipulate the current specs into new ones instead of returning to a base packing from the 97 era and just modify that type of chassis to today's standards and requirements. All fia has to do is look at how many teams and drivers were on the grid or attempted to qualify in the 90s, yet only the top 6 scored points and we had more teams and drivers scoring points than today. The racing was close with 2 different tyre manufacturers, different engine wars, unlimited testing wider chassis, less aero, it was how f1 was meant to be IMHO.

F1 is overly regulated to the point of strangulation. No one can produce anything revolutionary to overcome a team with a bigger budget. Imagine Sauber or Manor producing the next revolutionary chassis design (aerodynamics, ground effect etc) or mechanical component (active suspension, seamless shift gearbox etc). Nowadays the regulations don't allow for innovation which is the enemy of progress.

Chocking competition is performed under veil of (phony) cost savings. Driven by people like Fernley (FI), who is advocating for past several years scrapping all testing, including wind tunnels. CFD, in his view, is all what's needed. My blood is reaching boiling point just hearing this nonsense. In contrast, I think with current state of technology, nothing can supersede track time at equal level design validation. Car has to be this and that, but at the same time it has to fit to a driver like a comfortable shoe, and then we can go racing.

Limits of CFD were rejected by several teams, and should stay that way, despite that FI is not getting that message.

Hmm I don't know about that Sakae.. Surely the time isn't far off when that becomes a fact with the massive computing power of today's technology.. If it's not possible already, it will be soon. Commercial airline pilots are sometimes certified purely using simulators. Technology is awesome but on the other hand there are things that I suppose are incredibly difficult/impossible to simulate (track conditions, bumps, sudden gusts of wind.. It's only a matter of time though before we get Star Trek-esque holodecks which can.

CFD could be used today, well augmented with wind tunnel testing (which is still to certain degree permitted), yet an event comes, and we see failures after failures. Why? IMO design assumptions aren't validated properly, and CFD has not managed to solve all issue before aero sections went for manufacturing. CFD solves certain set of assumptions in limited domain. It is not speaking to the integration of aero with the balance of the system, including car drivability, etc. Driver needs to take it for the spin, find proper setup, and CFD in isolation will not address all of that.

Not too long ago Dennis spoke about it with respect of McLaren simulator, and he concluded, there is no way his simulator can stand as a replacement for proper road test. I tend to agree with that. There are simply put hundreds of variables involved, from manufacturing variability to driver's preferences, track ambient conditions, tire properties, etc., and I am dubious that a software guy can just simply emulate that environment accurately, and to its full extend in a cabin on a hydraulic rig. 

Liberty is reported to removed another hurdle on their way to shared ownership of the circus, also known as F1. Is a hero among us, who would dare to describe face of the F1 after current CA expires? One can start by differing opinions among Americans how many races are viable in US, and go from there.

On 1/17/2017 at 4:17 AM, Unknown? said:

F1 is overly regulated to the point of strangulation. No one can produce anything revolutionary to overcome a team with a bigger budget. Imagine Sauber or Manor producing the next revolutionary chassis design (aerodynamics, ground effect etc) or mechanical component (active suspension, seamless shift gearbox etc). Nowadays the regulations don't allow for innovation which is the enemy of progress.

Agree

It's just so Heart breaking when you watch something like this a realise how good it was before all this regulation crap began.

As reported, I think that far more significant is part of an interview with Mateschitz, in which confirmed, that he (and apparently all other teams) did not take - what I think - first lead soaked bait served to them by new buyers of the circus, and refused to swallow poisonous pill. Instead, said the RB owner, we should begging talking about F1 after 2020 (when a new Agreement needs to be forged).

Ecclestone meanwhile can dream about good old colonial days back in 19 century somewhere in an old folks home. Would be nice if he could take a few of his friends with him. Based on some proclamations we hear in the news, I wonder if teams will redefine their business model, and while it is true that corporate leadership will not react on rumors, I think however theirs planning departments are in full force evaluating worst case scenarios. Changes on political scene could affect the F1, and rather big way.

New ownership is resolute on driving Ferrari out of series. Well, I say, they may get what they wish for, and good luck with bloated shares while supporting British Manor and alike.

7 hours ago, radical-one said:

Like a dream come true ! This one alone can save F1 !:beer22:

Ecclestone to step down as F1’s chief within days

200w.gif

11 hours ago, radical-one said:

Like a dream come true ! This one alone can save F1 !:beer22:

Ecclestone to step down as F1’s chief within days

Would you be too surprised if in 2020 there will be break away series in some kind of spiritual follow up of the F1, and guess hard an identity of a man behind it. Like him or not, the thing is, you cannot come out from high intensity environment, park it, and lay whole day on your back, while thinking about food and nothing else.

14 hours ago, Sakae said:

Would you be too surprised if in 2020 there will be break away series in some kind of spiritual follow up of the F1, and guess hard an identity of a man behind it. Like him or not, the thing is, you cannot come out from high intensity environment, park it, and lay whole day on your back, while thinking about food and nothing else.

It is possible if he is younger. By 2020 he probably wouldn't remember his wife's name ^_^

15 minutes ago, radical-one said:

It is possible if he is younger. By 2020 he probably wouldn't remember his wife's name ^_^

I hear you, but he is active, his brain is active in its proper spheres and there are exceptions in life. In Italy lives a lady over 100 years old, and she is learning a foreign language as we speak. Go and figure what is, and isn't possible in life. 

6 hours ago, radical-one said:

That lady in Italy probably drinks wine all day long :beer22:

I do recommend light reading how to Train your Brain by prof. Kawashima (should you be interested), who has done a lot of research in this area. Keeps one forever young.  :P

12 hours ago, radical-one said:

i like Kramer !!! :D

Yeah he was good wasn't he?

8 hours ago, Sakae said:

I do recommend light reading how to Train your Brain by prof. Kawashima (should you be interested), who has done a lot of research in this area. Keeps one forever young.  :P

LOL I'll try that after couple of decades. I am ok for now.