Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

More Than A Name?

Good on him if he's doing well. It's odd when you start seeing the kids of drivers you used to watch, Max Verstappen and now potentially, Mick Schumacher, it makes me feel old loljump.gif

Tell me about it, I remember when Jos did his first season and same with Schumi.

With genes like that its hardly surprising! Can't be too healthy for the kid though all the increasing pressure.. I guess it's all part and parcel

I seem to recall Michael had him start his karting career under a pseudonym so he could just be a kid for a while.

We'll see how it goes. F4 isn't high up the ladder, and he's with the kind of team where not winning would be a story. I'm sure it'd make a lot of people happy to see him advance.

And maybe I'm just bitter that Eddie Cheever's son, after cleaning up in Italian F3 and getting to do a promotional day with Scuderia Ferrari, struggled in the real European F3 tour and ended up a NASCAR driver... ;)

I think he will, some minor media speaking at this addie, he's gonna have to handle the q's that will keep popping up about his father's condition etc

https://twitter.com/Gianludale27

Yep I agree and it's sad really because it's his time now not Michaels. Michael has already repaid his debt to society a million times over, least we can do is let him have one wish.

I seem to recall Michael had him start his karting career under a pseudonym so he could just be a kid for a while.

We'll see how it goes. F4 isn't high up the ladder, and he's with the kind of team where not winning would be a story. I'm sure it'd make a lot of people happy to see him advance.

And maybe I'm just bitter that Eddie Cheever's son, after cleaning up in Italian F3 and getting to do a promotional day with Scuderia Ferrari, struggled in the real European F3 tour and ended up a NASCAR driver... ;)

Yeah he was "Mick Betch" which is corinna's maiden name, Schumi now but, that he stepped into open wheelers. With a face like that and the name he had anyway, you would still know who he was if you were a die hard Schumacher fan

In about 3 years he will be in an F1 car guaranteed !

Which sponsor wouldn't put their money on this kid's name? All to gain not much to lose. He will end up driving a Merc heyjoe67_cooper.gif or Ferrari heyjoe67_ferrari.gif

Well the last name doesn't always count for much, remember Ralf? ;)

There was massive hype of ralf before he got to f1. What you on about? In the lower categories and when he went and raced in Japan, he had a massive following over there and everyone seriously thought he would be better than Michael.

Well he wasn't as fast as his brother was he? I know he won some races but he made a lot of mistakes as well as I recall and he didn't exactly set the F1 world alight did he?

No I totally agree with you 100% but his pre f1 hype was massive.

My point was, the name might bring hype, but it doesn't make you a great driver. Mick Schumacher might turn out to be every bit as good as his father, Ralf had the same last name but he sure wasn't.

Yeah and not only that, it's a lot easier for them than any "normal" kid, avenues open up that wouldn't open for normal kids.