Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

2016 Russia - Race No. 4

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/04/19/drivers-tyre-choices-russia-announced/

Interesting choices of tires. I am not exactly sure how to interpret individual selections, but I am sure someone more knowledgeable on the basis of tire selection can speak to predicted wear concerns and number of pit stops, thus giving away strategy. Hass and RBR planning probably 3 pitstops. Ferrari seems conservative, which could be a deciding factor for 2 pitstops. Right/wrong..?

I've been in Sochi on holiday (ages ago), but based on some recent camera work, that place seems to really change in recent years. Due to currency exchange, it's supposedly one of the least expensive GP's on the calendar. Seb was crossing the line 6 sec behind the winner last year. Hopefully, he will be at least half-car length ahead of them all this time around.

Nice circuit, pretty good flow for a stagnant tilke circuit, good circuit in simulators.

Is Ferrari going for broke? Reported is a bold move on the engine side, which should either make or break the season. I am merely hoping this is not just an empty hype, and what is really needed, IMHO, is a normal dull racing weekend, when all is fine and dandy, and we can at last learn who is who, and what is what.

Nice circuit, pretty good flow for a stagnant tilke circuit, good circuit in simulators.

I hate street circuits, there's just something artificial in general about it to me personally, Monaco is just the worse in terms of procession races

I love Monaco on a simulator, if your setup is right, it's like in real life all the grip is close to the barriers so the faster you want to go, the closer and smoother you have to be. There's no doubt f1 cars have out grown Monaco but with bernie and his addiction to money, this race is going no where, even if it isn't a "real" circuit for f1. But yeah Iam not much of a fan of street circuits myself, feel to artificial don they?

I hate street circuits, there's just something artificial in general about it to me personally, Monaco is just the worse in terms of procession races

Shhhh, Monaco 2005 baby!!!

If we're talking favourite Monaco races then 1997 takes it for me, just another dominating display by schumi who outsmarted both Williams on tyre selection.

I love to watch it though even if I do feel it's not a "legit" circuit as it sorts the men from the boys.

Speaking about separation of men from boys, those circuits all died already, I think. Location where Lauda had his encounter with destiny is today just a bush as a silent witness to the past. I think even a modern car would probably not survive when veered off the road, lost in the trees. The recent incident occurred on a peaceful track, but it was one of the more horrific in modern times, forest or not. It was looking pretty bad.

Spa-Francorchamps in the Ardennes has changed as well, made safer, but probably got castrated to some extent, thus I am not sure what is left on separation of classes. To some measure, driving around at 366 km/hr on a piece of tarmac probably takes guts, and separates them from us, however, I do not think of it as separation of men from boys, but the separation of normal people from a bunch of crazed millionaires.

I believe Ricciardo has been faster at last years Italian GP I think the record now is 372kmh, just saying lol.

I believe Ricciardo has been faster at last years Italian GP I think the record now is 372kmh, just saying lol.

Could be, I didn't mean to imply, that Vettel's time in Mexico is a record; not at all. It was just a number that stuck in my mind for some reason. In fact, if memory serves me, occasionally Vettel holds fastest a sector time, but top speed is somewhat average in most races, especially in those he has won, which only supports a view, that top speed is meaningless to a greater extent, and racecraft how a driver manages to drive at the limit for a race duration is a better indicator. It was known about Vettel, that his upper hand (with RB) was how he has managed to drive through the curved terrain.

Vettels advantage at Redbull was how well he used the blown diffuser style chassis, soon as that element was removed (2014) he struggled and took a season to find another style of driving basically. I must say though ricciardo's speed was set in a slipstream with full Drs and I think massa achieved the same speed also. But here's a short clip explaining just why Schumacher was always quick only goes for two and a half minutes explaining how Schumacher drove above the limit but his corrections just brought the car back each time, amazing stuff.

It will be difficult to win WDC by Seb this year anyway, if ever again because Renault is shaping up to be one of best engines around in coming years, possibly better than Ferrari. I am not sure what will happen with Honda, but I doubt they will stay back forever.

I came to realize, that Seb has to win next six races just to catch Rosberg, so they both would go into the Hungarian GP (10th race) with the equal amount of points. That is, of course, assuming that Rosberg will be second in next six races. Chances of that to happen is something not even I in my wildest dreams believe can be achieved. This is going to shape up as another difficult year for my man. Realistically, should Rosberg twitch and Seb will stay near, maybe second half of the season can turn into the massacre.

Renault have always made good engines prior to the v8 era they were almost impossible to beat as for Honda, they won't stay back there to long, the ground they have made already over winter is massive but because no big results have came yet, people are brushing them aside.

I kind of like the track.

I like a lot of the tracks no one likes.

I guess growing up with ovals made me easy to please.

This is actually a nice track to drive on a simulator so I could only imagine what it would be like in real life, the long sweeping left turn and the last sector are particularly fun if you get it right.

Five place grid penalty for Vettel for a new gearbox. Let's hope that was all that was wrong with the car yesterday and it will be fine for the rest of the weekend.

These rules are getting pretty rediculous, never been a fan of penalising a driver for mechanical issues, makes no sense what so ever.

The team in some way should get the penalty, cause it has nothing to do with driver's skills and abilities. It really sucks how a driver gets influence by there croc f1 rules

How is an engine issue the drivers fault if it has a bad piston or something like that or the gearbox shreds itself? Team should be penalised by a points system then if they get a certain amount then it starts to affect the driver in terms of penalties.

What a sucker Lewis. Eat some humble pie. The press questions where stupid. Hamilton was giving short little one/two word answers in a curt manner and clearly trying to maintain an air of him being cool and calm, but once again he failed.

Go Nico Go. Take full advantage of your good fortune!