Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

2016 Russia - Race No. 4

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/563508/How_Ecclestone_helped_prevent_Hamilton_grid_penalty/

Any opinion on this (FOM) intervention? How fair is that to other teams? I think the issue is more than just innocence because today it is that, tomorrow it is something else, and issues is who gets such assistance, and who is not. Level playing field took some beating here. Wouldn't be better for Ferrari if Hamilton started from the back?

Vettel has actually admitted to lifting after the first hit (not using brakes, mind you), just lifting to assess from the c#ckpit the severity of damage. Question is, why Kvyat did not lift too, and synch his speed with Ferrari, to stay clear of him?

my understanding is that Vettel lifted (at that speed with an F1 car lifting means you pull more Gs that braking hard with the most extreme road car, just to put things into perspective) because Perez had a puncture and so had lifted. The reason why Kvyat didn't lift, or why he didn't lift soon enough to avoid an accident, was that since he had Vettel's car right ahead of him he could not see what was happening to Perez. Vettel had eough room to see what was happening to Perez and react, Kvyat didn't and he could have only hit him. You just have to consider how fast that car to the right of Kvyat flashed ahead of them.

I feel sorry for Vettel who had his race ruined and could have possibly challnged Hamilton but the accident on turn 3 has nothing to do with Kvyat, he's just the scapegoat, not even is team is prepared to defend him. I believe that Kvyat is a very good driver and that he deserves to succeed in his quest to become WDC, the only problem is that at RBR they seem to have already decided that next year he'll have to leave to make room for Vestappen so I think that they'll take advantage of any problem that he has - even when it's not his fault - to blame him and pave the way for his sacking, and judging by Marko's interviews it looks as if the smear campaign is already in full swing

my understanding is that Vettel lifted (at that speed with an F1 car lifting means you pull more Gs that braking hard with the most extreme road car, just to put things into perspective) because Perez had a puncture and so had lifted. The reason why Kvyat didn't lift, or why he didn't lift soon enough to avoid an accident, was that since he had Vettel's car right ahead of him he could not see what was happening to Perez. Vettel had eough room to see what was happening to Perez and react, Kvyat didn't and he could have only hit him. You just have to consider how fast that car to the right of Kvyat flashed ahead of them.

I feel sorry for Vettel who had his race ruined and could have possibly challnged Hamilton but the accident on turn 3 has nothing to do with Kvyat, he's just the scapegoat, not even is team is prepared to defend him. I believe that Kvyat is a very good driver and that he deserves to succeed in his quest to become WDC, the only problem is that at RBR they seem to have already decided that next year he'll have to leave to make room for Vestappen so I think that they'll take advantage of any problem that he has - even when it's not his fault - to blame him and pave the way for his sacking, and judging by Marko's interviews it looks as if the smear campaign is already in full swing

Interesting angle, so I have learned again to think about that issue from a different perspective. Would be then unfair to compare Kvyat's situation that of Rosberg vs Hamilton after Hungary/Spa...? An unwanted child is a terrible thing, but then, F1 was never a place of compassion.

Would be then unfair to compare Kvyat's situation that of Rosberg vs Hamilton after Hungary/Spa...? An unwanted child is a terrible thing, but then, F1 was never a place of compassion.

Rosberg was forced to fake a brake problem at Monza in order to let his team mate through (after being bashed for what no one outiside from Mercedes thought was anything else than a racing incident), I presume that Dr. Marko will be less sympathetic towards Kvyat, IMHO Kvyat is out already from RBR, I just hope for him that they will let him look for a drive somewhere else

Good post.

Any apology that starts with an excuse isn't genuine. If you want a proper apology, go lookup any of Kimi's videos. Lookup Vettel when he was younger. He coped to his mistakes. Even GRO after first trying to deflect, became honest and admitted his mistakes. These guys fully admit when they made a mistake. Kvyat did NOT do that. Heck Massa doesn't, Perez has NEVER admitted to anything. In fact none of the young drivers ever admit to making mistakes, and factually they are making more than all the experienced drivers combined. Funny how the more experienced drivers make less mistakes, but when they do they admit to it, apologise to who they need to and don't play games about it, but the younger drivers who seem to cause most of these accidents deflect, and blame the very people they hit. Kind of like blaming a girl whose just been raped for wearing a short skirt. Kvyat blamed locked up brakes and Vettel supposedly going slow. That's excuses. Someone in his camp has told him to apologise knowing full well his seat is on the line. RBR havn't even begun to tear him a new one just yet.

A couple of drivers aren't impressed with stewards of the race, and how the penalties are handed down. Hamilton is one of them. I, as a fan, have a beef with penalties to a driver for problems caused by factors out of his control. Nuts to that.

We all have problems with drivers being penalized for mechanical issues. I'm not sure what the answer is as it's only going to get worse. Did you guys know that next year they are down to 3x engines for the entire year? Utter mental assylum lunacy.

I take anything Hamilton says with a grain of salt though. He really can't handle any criticism or a bad run of things. Rather than accept you have your ups and downs, and get on and work hard to carry one, he flaps his lips too much I feel, or tweets this or that.

Yeah I was about to say that, Lewis was looking for an excuse and jumped on the bandwagon to hunt the stewards. He wasn't impeded during race, so what's his issue? The fact he stuffed up in qually and it done his race? Did a fine job to me from tenth to second, this is an excuse to put in his pocket for later if he fails to close on rosberg you watch.

I did some looking around myself and some people are saying kvyat was blaming Vettel, seems you may have caught the second interview because it seems that Vettel has one interview saying one thing then kvyat had his interview after the race claiming full responsibility and saying he will learn from it. Then there was a second Seb interview that I will not say nasty but tone of voice wasn't usual and it was an answer for a question "what do you think of Kvyat" pretty straight forward question. I think kvyat may have seen or heard these comments as it seems he has a second interview aswell and this time his attitude has changed to saying people making up there own minds and smart comments and such, so I think there is more than meets the eye on this as I've heard kvyat also called Vettel to smooth things over.

A Merc going from 10th to 2nd is hardly an achievement when you have such a dominant car.

The drivers only go into the pit cage once. They talk to ITV first and then normally their own countries broadcasters. So yes they will have a few different interviews, but they don't go away and then come back for another round.

I don't think we can really blame Vettel for his tone. He wasn't pulling a Hamilton and having a whinge about something small such as a reprimand, he had just been punted out twice by the same driver, after having that same driver cause an accident at the previous race. 3x times now. Of course Vettel was p**sed off, and we all would be. I think it's mean they have to go and front the media after those types of situations as the emotions, disappointments and anger are still fresh and raw.

Yeah I agree, let them cool of, have a chat with each other, let the watch the footage and then

approach them. I just couldn't beleive the question so bluntly ask towards Seb "what you think about kvyat" bit harsh when like you said, everyone is still pi$$ed at the situation. Lewis did drive well IMO concidering the water pump issue, unless it was a cover up to excuse his poor form of late, hmmm

I don't believe for a second ANYTHING Toto says about Merc nursing home issues. I know that might sound weird considering Hamilton has had some car failures this year, but it's more of the same smokescreen BS they have been peddling. Like the one about them being wary of the threat from Ferrari lol.

They are BS'ing 1000% about supposedly having Nico retire when in the lead. I've heard that twice now this year alone. And I know they also tried to sell that to us last year too.

If Hamilton had a water pump issue then so be it. But I don't buy any of the times they have said they might have had to retire Nico whilst in the lead. Utter nonsense.

Yeah I've heard it twice now, who would retire a car in the lead? You would drive it till it died. What? Saving it in case you might win again later in the season? Bah bs, I know what you mean monkey. I rekon Mercedes are so bloody fast that's why Lewis and nico haven't had a wheel to wheel battle yet, it would expose the true pace, maybe they have been told to tone it down to make it interesting but stupid things like Lewis missing to foam block when going of in practice, this is all talked about in driver debriefs and he has been to a lot now so unless he was on his phone again I can't see how he wouldn't have known where to go. Look IMO f1 has been staged for a while now as there is to much money involved and it seems that when big teams need the success, they eventually get it from new regulations. Call me crazy but that's how I feel and it's just getting more obvious now.

I have NO doubt Merc have tuned things down for now and are sitting on a massive advantage. Going wheel to wheel flat out would freak everyone out. So they are masking things. Winning in 2nd gear type of situations, which just makes F1 all the more ridiculous that a team can win so easily yet not go anywhere near their full potential.

It's Hamilton arrogance that is catching him out with the directors briefings. Does he even goto them? I heard he stopped going to the drivers ones a few years back.

I guess maybe I see why some people hated RBR, but they were fools because RBR were hindered by all the legal things on their cars becoming "illegal" AFTER Whiting deemed them legal. That's not cool. It's not been cool since they banned Renault's mass dampers. If it's legal at the start of the year, it's LEGAL.

Merc have had none of the attacks on them to try to slow them down from not winning. Not a single thing. Because F1 is all about engines now. The very stupid things the teams cannot change or get penalized for doing so. And next year they get 3x of them. Thus would that mean then if this was 2017 Hamilton would be on engine #3 already? LOL. Makes no sense whatsoever.

F1 is such a drag for us fans. It utterly sucks. But it also sucks for the drivers. That's why Webber didn't stick around. They aren't liking it either. The cars to drive, the constant constant changes of race weekend rules and then team radio is ok, no it's not, ok it is if it's crucial. Just let them race. No tyre saving, no fuel saving. RACE RACE RACE and they will feel they have given 100% and not the 82% they have to give because otherwise the car will either go off the track or run out of fuel. Give them that, and they will smile.

I do agree, that such frequent changes of normative references could be confusing for some fans, however IMO some of the ideas such as fuel savings, and several similar others are probably annoying to most (if they are like me). A racer should be able to step on it if he needs to, and without DRS. A racer should be able to stay in close proximity to be able to line up a car ahead and get him out of position for his move, etc. We do not have that anymore, and maybe some of us old timers do miss it.

I do agree, that such frequent changes of normative references could be confusing for some fans, however IMO some of the ideas such as fuel savings, and several similar others are probably annoying to most (if they are like me). A racer should be able to step on it if he needs to, and without DRS. A racer should be able to stay in close proximity to be able to line up a car ahead and get him out of position for his move, etc. We do not have that anymore, and maybe some of us old timers do miss it.

You mean something like this sakae?

Vintage schumi and Mika, drivers don't even fight like this now do they?

You mean something like this sakae?

[media]

[/media]

Vintage schumi and Mika, drivers don't even fight like this now do they?

PRECISELY LIKE THAT!!!!! A REASON WHY I FELT IN LOVE WITH RACING.

That I can say with all honesty is probably one of if not last "real" formula one season, 1997/98 after that we started to see cracks that turned into the canyons we have today in terms of distance between actual love for the sport and money grabbing. Just shows us how good it used to be doesn't it? And Murray tops it off, what an era of f1 and Iam so lucky I saw it in its entirety.

Funny thing, me too. That race in Spain where MS had run on the Williams was commented by Dr. Palmer with Murray. Not too many people liked technical slant Palmer carried into his commentaries, but I loved it and loved those two. Today I cannot stand any of those oversized ego-twats, including his overvalued son. Strange how times do change.