Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spiral.out

F1 Proposed Changes Next Year

There are some good changes being proposed. I'll actually believe them when they become certainties rather than proposals. Too many good ideas have fallen by the wayside before now.

Not only that, you can bet your bottom dollar Mercedes will try do whatever it takes to stop it. There already upset over the proposal.

Once the changes are voted on and brought in they might not last, I refer you back to this years qualifying regulations!! Enough said.

One of the most inept, and regrettable agreements they managed to put on the paper is in asking all teams to agree with proposed regulatory changes. Why not a simple majority, or at least 2/3? Because of that, this process became a recipe for a stalemate after stalemate.

One thing more - it is true that money, at least bulk of it, is available from Mercedes, Dr. Zetsche has to sign the cheque, so they bought a label and from time to time on specific requests give them a hand, but day to day operational decisions have very little to do with Mercedes. Senior management is Austrian, Wolff is 1/3 owner of the team and has great autonomy how he wants to run the team. I am not sure if Lauda has also something in the amount of 10%, but he might have silent ownership.

Removing fuel saving measures would be a step forward towards flat out racing. I am all for that change.

yeah that would be cool, glad they propose to lower the wings, I remember my total disgust when they raised it few years ago. I thought the cars looked horrible. Alas, unfortunately I got used to it, which is really the story of my life. ...getting use to things

Raceable tyres, can Pirelli even do that. They should've brought back Michelin! What was that on Michelin losing out on F1 contract over a miniscule thing.... Fools!

I want this:

Wider chassis, bring back the total 80mm that has been taken away over the years.

Wider tyres and unlimited sets over weekend and own choice of compounds.

Lower and shorter front wing

Lower and longer rear wing

Get rid of Drs.

I am still at a loss WHY , with all the so called GREEN hybrid engine stuff in F1 today that they simply don't go the extra yard and make it mandatory to use 85% ETHANOL ?

Then you could call F1 being GREEN to the planet environment and a PLUS to all those greenies out there

F1 serves as a laboratory for road cars, thus, one has to ask what's practical in terms of civil infrastructure. Ethanol might not be the answer automakers are seeking. In fact, I am not so sure that electricity is either. Future is a gamble, and it could be hydrogen, could be a mix of technologies, all depends on car usage, and so forth. For now, it is still gasoline, later it could be something else. The electric car could be fine in the city whereas on the long distances we might use a hybrid. Proponents of an electric car have to realize that it is energy source which has to be made available, and that's totally new game. (Back to nuclear reactors, windmills, water turbines, or coal)?

F1 serves as a laboratory for road cars, thus, one has to ask what's practical in terms of civil infrastructure. Ethanol might not be the answer automakers are seeking. In fact, I am not so sure that electricity is either. Future is a gamble, and it could be hydrogen, could be a mix of technologies, all depends on car usage, and so forth. For now, it is still gasoline, later it could be something else. The electric car could be fine in the city whereas on the long distances we might use a hybrid. Proponents of an electric car have to realize that it is energy source which has to be made available, and that's totally new game. (Back to nuclear reactors, windmills, water turbines, or coal)?

This is the main issue here, using open wheel race cars that are unique to themselves to develop road going technologies. Why not use actual cars to develop for road cars like WEC or V8 Supercars or DTM. The moment they enforce new rules as a testing ground for road cars, the sport has lost its authenticity. Why are they restricting the most technical advanced form of Motorsport to benefit road car users over ten years from now? They had paddle shifters since 94-95 I beleive and only now are we seeing an influx of cars made with them. Makes absolutely no sense what so ever does it?

Id just wish we would sort out this year's changes before planning next year's.

I just wish we could go one single season without changing something.

LOL now mate that is simply IMPOSSIBLE..........

It's a joke bro, as long as I can remember, every single season, something is changed, can they go one single year without changing something? It's becoming a virus that just keeps mutating just before they "think" they've found a cure.

After watching an f1 race pre turbo era

that_was_awesome_tommy_boy.gif

After watching an f1 race today

Charles-Barkley-Falling-Asleep-Inside-the-NBA.gif

Then the commercials come on twice as loud

200w.gif

One change I've made for F1 is the channel to other things. Figuratively, of course; F1 airs at weird times against that guy from New Zealand shouting about overpriced juicers.

I supported the new rules for 2014 only because I felt F1 had to do it to survive. I've since realized no format of motor racing will survive past ~2040*, so they may as well just go all-out and extreme with the formula until economics drag it under.

*Racing worldwide is on a huge decline in popularity that has nothing to do with on-track product and everything to do with an inability to draw in young fans to replace the old ones who are either dying or losing interest (because it isn't how it used to be, which is a different thing than on-track product entirely because some people would go back to eras of racing even worse than this one in terms of excitement just because that's what they grew up with). Now, consider how close we are to autonomous cars, and how close we are to a world of nothing BUT driver-less cars. Roborace will be fun in development, but when the technology is good enough that everyone on the road is self-driving, Roborace will be rather boring as every car will drive at the absolute optimum. Therefore, 2040 seems about right to me. The old fans will be deceased, the new fans will have never been made, driving will no longer be an actual activity, and the role of the car in our world will be so drastically altered. Not a lot of value in a high-performance car when it is driven by a computer...

One change I've made for F1 is the channel to other things. Figuratively, of course; F1 airs at weird times against that guy from New Zealand shouting about overpriced juicers.

I supported the new rules for 2014 only because I felt F1 had to do it to survive. I've since realized no format of motor racing will survive past ~2040*, so they may as well just go all-out and extreme with the formula until economics drag it under.

*Racing worldwide is on a huge decline in popularity that has nothing to do with on-track product and everything to do with an inability to draw in young fans to replace the old ones who are either dying or losing interest (because it isn't how it used to be, which is a different thing than on-track product entirely because some people would go back to eras of racing even worse than this one in terms of excitement just because that's what they grew up with). Now, consider how close we are to autonomous cars, and how close we are to a world of nothing BUT driver-less cars. Roborace will be fun in development, but when the technology is good enough that everyone on the road is self-driving, Roborace will be rather boring as every car will drive at the absolute optimum. Therefore, 2040 seems about right to me. The old fans will be deceased, the new fans will have never been made, driving will no longer be an actual activity, and the role of the car in our world will be so drastically altered. Not a lot of value in a high-performance car when it is driven by a computer...

I agree with most of what you have said, and have said similar things here before. Its not a popular standpoint with the dinosaurs on this site whose generation struggles to embrace change.

2040, I think it will be earlier. Self driving cars in 10 years hopefully will be mainstream, I cant wait. Then who gives a crap about racing cars?

I agree with most of this to but do people here honestly rekon we will move on from fossil fuels? I doubt it, way to much money,power and control involved. Like the U.S. Government about 20 years ago capped the fines there allowed to charge these big companies, correct me if Iam wrong but I think it's only 25 thousand a day they can be charged, what's that to a company that turns over millions a day from oil? It's there just to shut the public up to feel something is being done about it. That's why electric cars are slow and frustrating to drive, the alternative is there but they develop them like this so you turn back to fuel, I feel It won't go away for long time yet atleast within 50 years anyway. They've had the ability to run cars of water and oil for over 20 years now but there is no money in it compared to oil that's what all these "peace keeping" missions are for in these far Middle eastern countries, to keep an eye on oil and try to forcibly take it away.

I agree with most of this to but do people here honestly rekon we will move on from fossil fuels? I doubt it, way to much money,power and control involved. Like the U.S. Government about 20 years ago capped the fines there allowed to charge these big companies, correct me if Iam wrong but I think it's only 25 thousand a day they can be charged, what's that to a company that turns over millions a day from oil? It's there just to shut the public up to feel something is being done about it. That's why electric cars are slow and frustrating to drive, the alternative is there but they develop them like this so you turn back to fuel, I feel It won't go away for long time yet atleast within 50 years anyway. They've had the ability to run cars of water and oil for over 20 years now but there is no money in it compared to oil that's what all these "peace keeping" missions are for in these far Middle eastern countries, to keep an eye on oil and try to forcibly take it away.

Lot of truth but consumer demand is moving and has moved to electric or similar. Companies like Tesla are leading the way and others are following

Yeah but you also pay out your a$$ for them. That will be the other option. Force everyone into electric but charge double the price for cars. I can't see it happening, especially the stories you read above people making alternative fuel engines and major motor companies offering to buy the plan but the creator refuses only to end up dead or never seen again. Way to much money and power involved and the Middle Eastern people won't let it get to the extent that they loose all power on the trade market. Look at Abu Dhabi and Dubai, built of oil and look at the size and power they have, no way they will go out totally so easily. It's funny how this seems to be the only issue really in terms of saving the planet. These protest groups probably write there issue down on paper that comes from trees cut in deforestation. Refuse to eat meat that has already been killed hoping that becoming a vegetarian will bring it back to life. Yet take no concideration into the life of the vegetables killed to make there salad. I could go on and on its like these smoking laws, they take it likes it's the worst thing ever if your smoking outside around people, forgetting when they were a kid watching "hey hey it's Saturday" in the lounge room while mum and dad have a ciggy after dinner. Don't get me started on discipline for children either, looking at you like your a serial killer for giving your child a smack on the bum once again forgetting when they were a kid getting wacked with a belt and for even the more older ones, the cane at school. This world has become so soft and people worried about lawsuits, that just living in general doesn't exsist.

Youve always had an air of conspiracy theorist around you haha.

I dont agree. No-one wants fossil fuels except rev-heads which are a tiny minority. Or Westies. Society has grown up and moved on. Sure cars that make no noise are not as cool as cars that do, but after one season who is going to notice? If they are super fast and the racing is good, no-one thats who.

Don't let society brain wash you bro, of course they want to keep fossil fuel, no way it will go,

To much invested in it. They say they care about the world we live in yet test weapons of mass destruction, they don't give a sh17 there sick of people whinging though and that's why they give them a hand out to Sh#t them up and continue what there doing, they won't get rid of it, they'll need to find alternative fuel for planes all the way down you your backyard BBQ. If people paid more attention around them than just what affects them, they would realise there the centre of the massive joke that if you give people what they want, they will turn a blind eye to everything else. That's why they knocked of Hussein and bin laden, so no strong figure stands in the way of them taking the oil, just tell everyone there terrorists and that will give us lee way to do what we want, read between the lines bro, they don't hide the sh17.

Lot of truth but consumer demand is moving and has moved to electric or similar. Companies like Tesla are leading the way and others are following

BMW and Mercedes had prototypes of electric cars before Tesla ever existed. What they were lacking were (i) consumer market, and (ii) national, or even global supporting infrastructure. Admittedly consumer mood has changed lately, but nothing has been done about infrastructure, as far as I know.