Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

2016 Spain - Race. No. 5

Max = future WDC, amazingly mature for his age and fault-free driving on Sunday. What will he be like with a few years' driving under his belt and in a strong car?!

Always liked his old man, although he never really had a decent car under him.

Bet you didn't know the whole family are a bunch of gypsies.

Well good for them. Next time I am in the area, I'll remember to buy some lucky heather....

That would be nice of you, Chris! Amd my gf will be happy as she is of gypsy origins as well smile.png

Guess that Max is going to be my next Alonso, then!

Takes one to know one ;) lol

Well I better stop copying you then hey? Last time I look up to my elders.

Well good for them. Next time I am in the area, I'll remember to buy some lucky heather....

You want some gypsy tears to protect you from aids?

Great race. Looks like formula one doesn't have any problems that can't be solved by the two Mercedes taking each other out.

Last race really has shown that excessive dominance of a one team needs to be scalled back. I too had my eyes open, for a change.

That would be nice of you, Chris! Amd my gf will be happy as she is of gypsy origins as well smile.png

Guess that Max is going to be my next Alonso, then!

Ah hello Andres <bows> good to hear from you.

Well you could certainly do worse than following Max, I was not convinced when he first came into F1 but think he has the signs of a future champ - of course as long as Liuzzi does not come back, in which case he's toast :D

Well you could certainly do worse than following Max, I was not convinced when he first came into F1 but think he has the signs of a future champ - of course as long as Liuzzi does not come back, in which case he's toast biggrin.png

Well you could certainly do worse than following Max, I was not convinced when he first came into F1 but think he has the signs of a future champ - of course as long as Liuzzi does not come back, in which case he's toast biggrin.png

Good to hear from you too! And yes, can't help but be impressed by the kid.

Liuzzi would have clubbed his kneecaps, like a true racer!

Ever watched liuzzi race karts before? Amazing, one of the best karters I've ever seen.

Here's some footage of liuzzi vs Schumacher at a kart circuit. Liuzzi also was a several time karting world champion.

<<Sakae: Last race really has shown that excessive dominance of a one team needs to be scalled back. I too had my eyes open, for a change.>>

I still can't get the quote function to work here.....but, yea, if they want a competitive series they need to hang boat anchors on the two Mercedes. It is clear that no team can catch them (and Red Bull has surpassed Ferrari), but the rest of the field is tight compared to each other.

Ruslan I think RBR were better at Barcelona, but I'm not too sure they have surpassed them definitely just yet. For the high downforce tracks, yes, but come Monza and Spa, I think Ferrari will be ahead of them.

We'll have to wait and see because apparently the new Renault upgrade that redbull tested at Barcelona is up 35bhp and Ricciardo and verstappen have both said you can defiantly notice a difference, weather or not it's true remains to be seen.

As requested here is my very own review of the race

Rosberg - I know, I know, I always start from the winner but in this case the Mercedes drivers deserve to be dealt with first... Rosberg had an average start and then pulled a great move on Hamilton, good for him, a few years ago he wouldn't have done it, not because he didn't know how to drive though. I don't buy that he pressed the wrong button on his steering wheel and his engine went into "limp" mode, the engine went into "limp" mode on its own, to my knowledge it's impossible to select that setting when a car is moving, and given the way that Rosberg passed Hamilton I don't believe for a single second that he was in "limp" mode at the strat of the race, so his car had a problem. IMHO he didn't comply with the regs when he closed the door to Hamilton, he had to leave one car width and he clearly didn't. And I'm happy that he didn't because hamilton did much worse to him at Budapest in 2014, it's nice to see that Nico finally grew up and has learned how to look after himself

Hamilton - the guy is IMHO the most amazing in terms of raw talent, no one comes even close to him, but he's got a few very serious problems: for a start he can't start loljump.gif then he's very very weak psicologically. I'm not among those who criticise him for his party lifestyle, I think that he needs to do what allows him to relax, if that is partying then so be it. he's obviously very weak and probably doing something else than racing allows him to relax. Last Sunday he made a mistake because when he saw Rosberg's rear light flash he should have known that he had a problem and he could have easily passed him on the outside once he realised that Rosberg was going to close the gap to his right (and that happened well before Hamilton's front wheels came anywhere near Rosberg's car, he had plenty of room)

Vestrappen - I think that he's a very good driver but so far I haven't seen anything in him to put him at the same level of, say, Senna, Prost, MS, Hamilton and many others before them. Last Sunday his most remarkable achievement was not to make any mistake, don't get me wrong it's a great thing that at just 18 years of age he doesn't make mistakes, but that doesn't necessarily translate into "he's the fastest and the best out there". I think that RBR's botched strategy decisions helped him a lot. we'll see what he does in the future,especially in the wet, for the time being I'd say that by F1 standards he's a very very good driver, in my personal book he's still not a sensation

Raikkonen - great, he finished second and closed the gap with Rosberg but we all know that he will never challenge the Mercs for the title. IMHO he had the race to win and sadly he didn't, he didn't even try to pass Verstappen. I know he didn't have any traction out the the last corner and that was a serious handicap, I'm not denying it, but the fact that in dirty air he was able to keep to a few tenths of a second from the car in front for so many laps IMHO only means that he had a significantly faster car and for that reason I feel that he could have tried to make a move even if not going into turn 1, all he had to do was try, maybe he would have put pressure on Vestrappen and forced him to make a mistake. sadly Kimi never put any significant pressure on Verstappen

Vettel - ah it's good to be able to rely on old customs, some things never seem to go away, and last Sunday the Ferrari pit wall didn't disappoint... I think that it was difficult to give to a driver a more compromised strategy but the Ferrari pit wall can always pull some new trick out of their sleeve. Other than that Vettel's last stint was compromised by some issues to his front right and rear left tyres (Ricciardo had similar problems) but at least he tried to make life difficult for Ricciardo

Ricciardo - I believe that if it wasn't for a weird strategy he would have won the race, I'm sure that RBR didn't compromise his race on purpose but that doesn't change the fact that his strategy was the wrong one

Bottas - I think that he finished 5th, is it correct? irrelevant at the very best

Sainz - great race by him, IMHO he's as good as Verstappen. He had a fantastic start and than was able to pull a great move on Vettel. I hope that he can find a good car for next year

Kvyat - I think that he did very well, if it wasn't for the fact that would have messed with the race of the big boys he could have passed Button and maybe even Massa. I feel for the guy, he was treated awfully and now his replacement wins the first race in his old car...

Ferrari - their strategies were at best questionable but IMHO their main problem is that Marchionne, who knows nothing of F1, is putting too much pressure on them and not because he wants to win (he couldn't care less, he's still envious of what Monty did at Ferrari but that is not what is driving him) but because the Ferrari share price isn't going very well and he needs to push it up or find a scapegoat. I think that with someone like Marchionne around it will be very very very difficult for Ferrari to win

I am one of those who commented on Hamilton's life style, and at this point I wish to add, as far as his partying goes, he can stand on his head, as far as I am concerned, but that is not an issue. Problem is, he is representing a brand and investment made into him, so it is not all about his whims only, and if he is psychollogically weak, than go and do something else. He is not paid those sums of money to be weak and irresponsible, methinks; but enough of that. Monaco is our next race, and we can hope for the best, and have some normality injected into this.

What about the little kids who look up to him and think he is God?

Problem is, he is representing a brand and investment made into him, so it is not all about his whims only, and if he is psychollogically weak, than go and do something else. He is not paid those sums of money to be weak and irresponsible

Maybe the marketing guys at Mercedes like the fact that he's always onthe news, we don't know that, I think that if they were concerned about it they would have put an end to his party lifestyle a long time ago. I'm not particularly keen on some of his antics and I fear that he's not the kind of brand ambassador that I would be drawn to, but that's my point, maybe the folks who look after the image of Mercedes don't want to be an attractive brand for middle aged european men.