Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

2016 Spain - Race. No. 5

See the latest photos of Lewis in some night club, really what's the point? He can't go pick up as that will flood papers, he can't drink and says he doesn't lol, so what's the point, how boring is a club if you can't get trashed and tongue bash a few woman in a similar state to yourself? I think he is weighing up what he has compared to what he has missed and I think he is unsure.

As for cars, I love nostalgic Japanese cars, have a 1989 r31 skyline which is my baby and my everyday drive which is a 2001 Subaru wrx running 15psi, front rear strut braces, sitting on coilovers, handles like a dream.

As requested here is my very own review of the race

Rosberg - I know, I know, I always start from the winner but in this case the Mercedes drivers deserve to be dealt with first... Rosberg had an average start and then pulled a great move on Hamilton, good for him, a few years ago he wouldn't have done it, not because he didn't know how to drive though. I don't buy that he pressed the wrong button on his steering wheel and his engine went into "limp" mode, the engine went into "limp" mode on its own, to my knowledge it's impossible to select that setting when a car is moving, and given the way that Rosberg passed Hamilton I don't believe for a single second that he was in "limp" mode at the strat of the race, so his car had a problem. IMHO he didn't comply with the regs when he closed the door to Hamilton, he had to leave one car width and he clearly didn't. And I'm happy that he didn't because hamilton did much worse to him at Budapest in 2014, it's nice to see that Nico finally grew up and has learned how to look after himself

I found Mercs "explanation" a bit lacking. Nico got such a great start that yes it doesn't make sense that by the first corner he would then be in limp mode. Who knows, maybe they have some new software that went on the fritz.

Hamilton - the guy is IMHO the most amazing in terms of raw talent, no one comes even close to him, but he's got a few very serious problems: for a start he can't start loljump.gif then he's very very weak psicologically. I'm not among those who criticise him for his party lifestyle, I think that he needs to do what allows him to relax, if that is partying then so be it. he's obviously very weak and probably doing something else than racing allows him to relax. Last Sunday he made a mistake because when he saw Rosberg's rear light flash he should have known that he had a problem and he could have easily passed him on the outside once he realised that Rosberg was going to close the gap to his right (and that happened well before Hamilton's front wheels came anywhere near Rosberg's car, he had plenty of room)

For sure, Hamilton is weak psychologically. He crumbles when he's not loved. Possibly even worse than The Emporer himself. He's never exhibited any toughness I've felt. And moans/complains/cries when things suddenly aren't going his way. What bugs me the most is he spouts these zen-ish sayings and he's happy and content and at peace and yet we see otherwise. I get a chuckle each time I see him saying we need to get to the bottom of this, I want an explanation blah blah. I thought he was happy and content!

Vestrappen - I think that he's a very good driver but so far I haven't seen anything in him to put him at the same level of, say, Senna, Prost, MS, Hamilton and many others before them. Last Sunday his most remarkable achievement was not to make any mistake, don't get me wrong it's a great thing that at just 18 years of age he doesn't make mistakes, but that doesn't necessarily translate into "he's the fastest and the best out there". I think that RBR's botched strategy decisions helped him a lot. we'll see what he does in the future,especially in the wet, for the time being I'd say that by F1 standards he's a very very good driver, in my personal book he's still not a sensation

I'm not convinced he's the next Senna yet. He lucked into his win in Spain in the sense that Ricci and Vettels strategies were just so bad. And that Kimi with a clearly faster car wasn't able to overtake him. But he gets the credit for not making any mistakes and thus took the win.

Raikkonen - great, he finished second and closed the gap with Rosberg but we all know that he will never challenge the Mercs for the title. IMHO he had the race to win and sadly he didn't, he didn't even try to pass Verstappen. I know he didn't have any traction out the the last corner and that was a serious handicap, I'm not denying it, but the fact that in dirty air he was able to keep to a few tenths of a second from the car in front for so many laps IMHO only means that he had a significantly faster car and for that reason I feel that he could have tried to make a move even if not going into turn 1, all he had to do was try, maybe he would have put pressure on Vestrappen and forced him to make a mistake. sadly Kimi never put any significant pressure on Verstappen

Kimi :(. The win was his. He was so much quicker than Max. Thinking back he's actually had a few races over the past couple of years where he was in situations like this. He still drove ok, but he needs a win to lock in his 2017 seat.

Vettel - ah it's good to be able to rely on old customs, some things never seem to go away, and last Sunday the Ferrari pit wall didn't disappoint... I think that it was difficult to give to a driver a more compromised strategy but the Ferrari pit wall can always pull some new trick out of their sleeve. Other than that Vettel's last stint was compromised by some issues to his front right and rear left tyres (Ricciardo had similar problems) but at least he tried to make life difficult for Ricciardo

Ricciardo - I believe that if it wasn't for a weird strategy he would have won the race, I'm sure that RBR didn't compromise his race on purpose but that doesn't change the fact that his strategy was the wrong one

Both bad strategies for Ricci and Vettel. But it's possible both teams were thinking a 3 stop was still going to be quicker. Imagine their horror when they realised a 2 stop was going to take the win.

Bottas - I think that he finished 5th, is it correct? irrelevant at the very best

I rate Bottas in the same pack as Massa and the Hulk. Throw in Perez and he could be the new Nick Heidfeld!

Sainz - great race by him, IMHO he's as good as Verstappen. He had a fantastic start and than was able to pull a great move on Vettel. I hope that he can find a good car for next year

I like Sainz. Reading about all the drama in STR before the seat swap, I can't believe it ever came from his side of the garage. Max and his Dad are going to be trouble for any team they are in. I hope Sainz has his eyes on the long term and will leave Red Bull if the opportunity arrises. Past STR drivers, they have a very sad history of never finding another seat in F1 once they get pushed out of that team. They weren't all bad. Maybe it's the timing of it, and thus when they find themselves without a seat, all the other ones have been taken already.

Kvyat - I think that he did very well, if it wasn't for the fact that would have messed with the race of the big boys he could have passed Button and maybe even Massa. I feel for the guy, he was treated awfully and now his replacement wins the first race in his old car...

Honestly didn't pay much attention to him during the race. I think he was treated harsh, but that's the Red Bull system. You have to take the good with the bad. And I do believe he was going to be replaced anyway by Max. Kvyat crashes, his lack of even understanding sometimes you have to apologise and actually mean it, and the troubles brewing in the STR garage just brought foward the inevitable swap. Care factor is still zero for me if he lives a long life in F1 or goes the way of previous drivers.

Ferrari - their strategies were at best questionable but IMHO their main problem is that Marchionne, who knows nothing of F1, is putting too much pressure on them and not because he wants to win (he couldn't care less, he's still envious of what Monty did at Ferrari but that is not what is driving him) but because the Ferrari share price isn't going very well and he needs to push it up or find a scapegoat. I think that with someone like Marchionne around it will be very very very difficult for Ferrari to win

Ferrari suck with the strategies. I mean just think 2010 final race. Hasn't really improved since.

Marchionne is bad news. BAD NEWS. He will rip this team apart for no other reason than he has the power to do so. If he's going to replace people he better well be doing it with superior talent.

I miss Luca so much because despite him meddling in the team, he had the passion and it was always done with good intent.

Question. How can Marchionne lose his job? A failure in the share prices long term? Thus meaning the head of Ferrari is dictated not by results, but by who buys their stock? I'm disliking this share thing more and more.

They said his engine went into "limp mode" because apparently the rear tail light was blinking in a different fashion to suggest the car went into this mode or something similar.

Blaming game of Rosberg just raging on. British TV is analyzing millimeter by millimeter what Rosberg's hand is doing, and so on, just to find justification for Hamilton's move. I say - BS to those efforts. Forget about switch and look at it from a broader perspective. This is now n-th race, in which I am noticing drivers approaching apex with a car on the inside attempting overtaking, carrying disproportional speed, pushing braking point forward, while centerline of the car is on the outward trajectory, away from apex and off the racing line. Moreover, Hamilton doesn't know what happens when you get two wheels on surface with different traction, such as grass? His car was destabilized the moment half of his car left tarmac and he had to hit brakes.

Instinct, anticipation and assessment of a professional racer of leading car defence and better judgement were all in F-position. Rosberg has done what any other driver will do. Perhaps Sky, BBC or whoever else should wrap themselves around it. Its over, and it is not going to change.

Hamilton could have taken outside line, and had Rosberg covered him, all what Hamilton had to do is just touch the brakes let Rosberg go his way (outwardly), and move around him on the inside. That kind of maneuver was done thousand times before, it works, and Hamilton has probably done it himself once or twice already, so why not now?

Blaming game of Rosberg just raging on. British TV is analyzing millimeter by millimeter what Rosberg's hand is doing, and so on, just to find justification for Hamilton's move. I say - BS to those efforts. Forget about switch and look at it from a broader perspective. This is now n-th race, in which I am noticing drivers approaching apex with a car on the inside attempting overtaking, carrying disproportional speed, pushing braking point forward, while centerline of the car is on the outward trajectory, away from apex and off the racing line. Moreover, Hamilton doesn't know what happens when you get two wheels on surface with different traction, such as grass? His car was destabilized the moment half of his car left tarmac and he had to hit brakes.

Instinct, anticipation and assessment of a professional racer of leading car defence and better judgement were all in F-position. Rosberg has done what any other driver will do. Perhaps Sky, BBC or whoever else should wrap themselves around it. Its over, and it is not going to change.

Hamilton could have taken outside line, and had Rosberg covered him, all what Hamilton had to do is just touch the brakes let Rosberg go his way (outwardly), and move around him on the inside. That kind of maneuver was done thousand times before, it works, and Hamilton has probably done it himself once or twice already, so why not now?

Because he's lazy and wants an immediate fix to his sub-par performance. He's not patient and that's one of his many problems.

The British media will give him a free pass for eternity. And will forever dump on Vettel, RBR and now Nico.

You are right, there have been too many incidents with cars on the inside attempting a pass and carrying too much speed.

I still believe this crash was Hamiltons to avoid. He clearly didnt' believe or give a toss when Lauda said no crashing into each other. Had he really taken that seriously, he would have been more cautious, attentive and not so brash. And him throwing out the steering wheel, again that is a punishable offence. I can imagine the utter "outrage" had Vettel done that.

Thus is makes supporting drivers like Kimi and Vettel easier. Don't listen to the BS and effectively anyone calling Hamilton an all time great, the best ever, a talent of immense proportion can be ignored.

How's Villeneuve carrying on, what a clown. He was one of the most dangerous drivers in his early Williams years, I remember the start of the 1997 Japanese Grand Prix where he did the exact thing to Schumacher and served right across at the start to try force schumi into the wall or the grass, then cries when schumi did a similar thing and now this, tad bit hipercrital, he needs to chill the f out and go right write another love song about it.

Scipio....catching up on my important reading as I was really busy last week. Still can't get the quote feature to work:

<< Rosberg....IMHO he didn't comply with the regs when he closed the door to Hamilton, he had to leave one car width and he clearly didn't.>>

That is how I saw it.

<< Hamilton - the guy is IMHO the most amazing in terms of raw talent, no one comes even close to him, but he's got a few very serious problems:....>>

He does make F1 interesting. ;)

Pretty much agree with everything else you wrote...in particular I note:

<<I think that with someone like Marchionne around it will be very very very difficult for Ferrari to win>>

It seems like Ferrari got a bump in 2015 because of the work of the 2014 team (which they fired en masse). Looks like the new team does not really have it figured out. They have been surpassed by Red Bull-Renault and now need to be looking over their shoulder at McLaren-Honda. I suspect 2016 is going to be a miserable year at Ferrari.

Rosberg didn't have to leave a gap IMO as Lewis wasn't far enough alongside.