Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spiral.out

Ferrari Back To The Top?

Looks like they are gonna hire and fire their way back. Guess thats how you do it eh.

Wild speculation in Italy suggests Ferrari could be set for yet another change at the top of the fabled Maranello team.

After the ultra-successful Jean Todt era, Ferrari has raced through team principals Stefano Domenicali, Marco Mattiacci and now the charismatic Maurizio Arrivabene.

“Ferrari has made some important steps forward,” Todt, now the FIA president, said at the weekend.

“Now they have to win races which is not easy when you face a very professional team (Mercedes) that does a fantastic job.”

Autosprint, an authoritative Italian media source, reports that after Arrivabene failed to deliver a win in the opening four races of 2016, president Sergio Marchionne is now eyeing another change.

The report said Arrivabene could be ousted and replaced by British technical boss James Allison.

It goes on to suggest that, to fill Allison’s current position, Ferrari could re-hire Aldo Costa, its former designer who is now working with roaring success at dominant champions Mercedes.

Autosprint even said an agreement between Ferrari and Mercedes could be reached so that Costa does not need to serve the customary ‘gardening leave’.

The German-language Speed Week said Ferrari and Mercedes did not comment.

Arrivabene, like him or not, has taken over as TP a team in turmoil. He can thank SM for that. The question is, whether with time Arri's potential was overvalued or they had a short, transitional agreement only. Arri bears gray hair, and we do not know what was the initial agreement between him and SM; maybe it was just for one season, and Arri doesn't want to be in that rocket anymore (as some other famous names, Baldisserri, and Brawn, just to name two).

Costa rebuffed rumor, stating he is happy where he is. I would be not surprised if not too many people want to work under SM. James Key is another name thrown into a rumor mill.

I am not convinced that Allison is a right man for that job. Some media are propping him up, but I do not see it. Sorry.

Allison will not be the TP, it's just not going to happen. If it does then Marchionne is the one who should be looking for a new job, or go and deal only with FIAT and leave Ferrari F1 to someone who has a clue.

Allison will not be the TP, it's just not going to happen. If it does then Marchionne is the one who should be looking for a new job, or go and deal only with FIAT and leave Ferrari F1 to someone who has a clue.

Agree, but SM is not going to do that. The guy is in love collecting titles and head chairs. When he has time to do any work is not something I can figure out.

Shows how schumi had pull and knew his stuff didn't it? Look now, they can't organise jack, yet a driver came in and went "I want this person,this person", 5 titles later.

In the long term I really feel in my gut Marchionne is going to be bad for Ferrari both in the business sense for their road cars and for F1. I really wish Luca was back, but I realize the effect him leaving had. It also allowed alot of other people who should not have been in positions of decicion making to be let go too.

Ferrari need Brawn, there really is no other way. And I still had hoped they would get him with Arrivabene being like a co or his #2. Arrivabene is way too emotional for me, but I think he has a good heart and that's what's most important.

Marchionne, is way too clinical and has no heart. He doesn't bleed red at all, but black since he seems to only be concerned with business. And that's good, so he should be, but Ferrari needs someone with passion and he's not it.

It is my understanding that it was Marchionne (on behalf of Ferrari), who blocked Luca Cordero di Montezemolo's nomination to replace Ecclestein on FOM side. I do actually think, that LdM at the helm would have been the best solution available. The man has charisma, he is smart, many more door opens to him than to most, SM included. Pitty.

You can't critise arrivabene, he has done the best he can. Ferrari can't really ask for more, he was thrown in the deep end and is helping try bring them back. Can't do much more than what he is doing.

People cant keep saying "Ferrari need Brawn". Hes gone. Schumaker is gone. They need new people with the right abilities. Time to move on and look to the future. No point trying to re-instate the past.

You can't critise arrivabene, he has done the best he can. Ferrari can't really ask for more, he was thrown in the deep end and is helping try bring them back. Can't do much more than what he is doing.

I read elsewhere, that this rumor began with an Italian media, which can be merciless sometimes. Admittedly, at least IMO, Arrivabene needs more time to prove his worth, but whether he is an exceptional TP or just an exceptional cheerleader remains to be seen. I am patient enough, Italians probably aren't. Ross Brawn is on the record, that he has no interest in that job, which doesn't surprise me. This might at the end is not as much an issue of management, but engineering. Regular testing on the track, an essential component of the engineering activity, is missing.

People cant keep saying "Ferrari need Brawn". Hes gone. Schumaker is gone. They need new people with the right abilities. Time to move on and look to the future. No point trying to re-instate the past.

Good point. There are lots of talent our there. They just have to look at the right place.

You're completely right, but it doesn't stop me wanting him back there. The way he got knifed at Merc never sat well with me.

I thought Matiachi did a great job to be honest, but Marchionne is going to carve up that team I can feel it. He has no patience, no soul and no passion. Luca, Brawn, Todt, Shumi, they bled red.

I don't think he cares about formula one in general anymore how can someone like brawn express his talent when there is hardly no strategy involved now, that's why newey took a step back, there's no enjoyment there anymore, to many regulations limit them to pushing boundaries.

You're completely right, but it doesn't stop me wanting him back there. The way he got knifed at Merc never sat well with me.

I thought Matiachi did a great job to be honest, but Marchionne is going to carve up that team I can feel it. He has no patience, no soul and no passion. Luca, Brawn, Todt, Shumi, they bled red.

Yeah I know what you mean. Ive only followed F1 since 2000 so have been a Kimi fan primarily, and McLaren when he was there, but when he moved around I didnt really care about McLaren any more. Ive never cared for Ferrari. Possibly because I dont think much of Italians abilities in general. They needed a German to sort them out that much was apparent.

Problem is I get the feeling Ferrari are hiring people just to do a job, instead of actually having a passion for the scuderia.

Yeah I know what you mean. Ive only followed F1 since 2000 so have been a Kimi fan primarily, and McLaren when he was there, but when he moved around I didnt really care about McLaren any more. Ive never cared for Ferrari. Possibly because I dont think much of Italians abilities in general. They needed a German to sort them out that much was apparent.

I've only ever followed Ferrari because of Kimi. Where he goes, is where I go with my support. But I do admire the Schumi years looking back. At the time I hated the guy, but when he came back in at Merc I was so much wanting him to do well.

When I was thinking and hoping Brawn went back to Ferrari, it wasn't to re-create the past, but to lay the groundwork for a great future. And to allow him the chance to win again, and then on his own terms retire. But under Marchionne, who knows he may have fired Brawn after 7 races and brought in some unexperienced Italian whose had 1.5yrs running a GP3 team.

Monkey, I think your feeling about schumi, others can relate to as well, not me, I was a huge schumi fan but my cousin loathed the guy but like you, when he came back, he loved him and I think it was because it was a different schumi. He let the guard down and wanted to be there simply to get the enjoyment out of driving, sure he wanted to do well but he was happy every time we saw him, just enjoying the moment. Had time for almost every interview but remained just as brutal on the circuit. It was a Schumacher at ease with himself and basically pressure free and it showed. He was getting walloped by rosberg but it seemed it didn't phase him compared to a dark and angry frowning schumi back in the day who has no answer yet for the lack of pace. One thing Iam sick of and one member mentioned it the other day, is the bandwagon jumpers, the people who hated schumi when he was driving but love him like some die hard senna fan because of his accident and feel guilty for hating someone without an explanation for it, that's the more common sense explanation for it IMO.

One thing Iam sick of and one member mentioned it the other day, is the bandwagon jumpers, the people who hated schumi when he was driving but love him like some die hard senna fan because of his accident and feel guilty for hating someone without an explanation for it, that's the more common sense explanation for it IMO.

Then youll be pleased to know I still hate his guts ;)

I've only ever followed Ferrari because of Kimi. Where he goes, is where I go with my support. But I do admire the Schumi years looking back. At the time I hated the guy, but when he came back in at Merc I was so much wanting him to do well.

When I was thinking and hoping Brawn went back to Ferrari, it wasn't to re-create the past, but to lay the groundwork for a great future. And to allow him the chance to win again, and then on his own terms retire. But under Marchionne, who knows he may have fired Brawn after 7 races and brought in some unexperienced Italian whose had 1.5yrs running a GP3 team.

Im not sure how much Schumi did really. I mean look at the results from Brawn GP. There was no Schumi there?

Brawn was a fluke but spiral. The chassis was originally Honda and built for Honda engine but when Honda pulled out, brawn brought the team, got got complete cars just minus the motor so, the chassis already rumoured at the time to be a killer as it was years of work done prior to the regulation shakeup of 2009, so Honda basically did what Mercedes did and got to work as soon as the 09 regs were drafted essentially getting a massive jump on competitors. So brawn got Mercedes power which just so happened to be a match made in heaven for the Honda chassis and state of the art blown diffuser. So more or less depending on how the Honda engine would've been and bare in mind back in the NA days Honda had a very powerful engine, it would've been button and barrichello cleaning up anyway but just under Honda not brawn. Brawn also brought the entire team for 1 British pound, yep just 1 British pound, complete with staff,chassis,motor homes you name it. Then wins the championship in his only year of competition and then sells it all of to Mercedes for 150 million pounds. Not a bad turn around hey?

Brawn was a fluke but spiral. The chassis was originally Honda and built for Honda engine but when Honda pulled out, brawn brought the team, got got complete cars just minus the motor so, the chassis already rumoured at the time to be a killer as it was years of work done prior to the regulation shakeup of 2009, so Honda basically did what Mercedes did and got to work as soon as the 09 regs were drafted essentially getting a massive jump on competitors. So brawn got Mercedes power which just so happened to be a match made in heaven for the Honda chassis and state of the art blown diffuser. So more or less depending on how the Honda engine would've been and bare in mind back in the NA days Honda had a very powerful engine, it would've been button and barrichello cleaning up anyway but just under Honda not brawn. Brawn also brought the entire team for 1 British pound, yep just 1 British pound, complete with staff,chassis,motor homes you name it. Then wins the championship in his only year of competition and then sells it all of to Mercedes for 150 million pounds. Not a bad turn around hey?

'

Honda must have been kicking themselves, hard, in the nuts, after that.

Ohh yeah wouldn't they ever? This car was supposed to elevate Honda to the top which IMO would've done going of the dominance of brawn, they pulled out do to bad results and the GFC 3 months later, they win the first 2 races of the new season and go on to win the first 6 out of 7 races and take both titles. This brings me into something else, what if Honda didn't leave and win with button just like brawn, I can guarantee they would've stayed on and where does that leave Mercedes then? I believe they would've had to buy one of the back marker teams that folded or they would've waited to buyout lotus but at the end of the day, Honda could've totally spun the sport on its heads in terms of results back then and who would be dominating now, something to think about anyway.

Yeah it would have changed history. But so did the giant dump I took this morning, which looked a lot like Alonso's future.

hahahahahaaaa tongue.png

Two thumbs up!