Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

2016 Canada - Race No. 7

I think your looking at it with the cup half full Sakae. Look, after practice it looked like redbull was certainly quicker than Ferrari I knew that at Monaco but I think they did a good job to get Vettel into p3, he did an awesome lap, shame couldn't be said about kimi but I beleive that Seb and both redbulls can cause trouble for Mercedes tomorrow. Just remember, Iam the man if redbull go 1-2, I've been saying it all week. Lol ;)

Hamilton confirmed that US tires do take 2 laps to rise into operating temp. That is confirmation of Seb's comment in Monaco.

What the same US that everyone else has to use? Seems like it's only Ferrari who don't like them.

Hamilton, judging from his (in Canada) remark, who seems not to like US tire either, drives for Mercedes. Ferrari is then not alone.

Moreover, no one from Ferrari, from all I read, complained in Canada about those tires. Comments by them were made in Monaco. That was last time I heard from Maranello on that subject.

Hamilton mentioned nothing about tyres to my knowledge, he said he tweaked his setup and lost some speed while nico probably gained some. I just hope we have a decent fight between Mercedes,redbull and Ferrari for a change.

Hamilton mentioned nothing about tyres to my knowledge, he said he tweaked his setup and lost some speed while nico probably gained some. I just hope we have a decent fight between Mercedes,redbull and Ferrari for a change.

Are you going to make me performing endless search for one sentence out of gazzilion pages I read daily? I have no habit making things up. The reason why it caught my attention, because it sounded pretty much along the same lines Ferrari said at Monaco.

Chill out mate geez, I was just saying what I heard and read.

Another one... motorsport.com

Button, who is 12th on the grid, also admitted that getting the tyres up to temperature at the start and after safety cars could be an issue.
Ferrari is not alone who is talking tires.

Yeah but that's always been an issue and it will be highlighted if it's a cold circuit as well like they predict. See alonso use buttons slipstream to give him more down the straight in order to make q3, he wouldn't have done it otherwise I don't think, still lacking hp on the straight.

Romain Grosjean: “The car balance is not miles off, but we just don’t have any grip from the tyres. We’re not getting them to work properly.

Ferrari is definitely not alone in this department.

I find it quite amusing also that raikkonen blames his issues on the hairpin, the same hairpin he spun his car on in the previous two races we've had there. 12 months later he's willing to admit trouble at that corner, last year when his contract was up in the air again, it was a car issue.

Enjoyable race, despite some questions about strategy calls.

Vettel - Sebi is back in the office; brilliant start, excellent driving, but run of laps to finish the job on 2 stopper

Hamilton - really in goon-like style hitting Rosberg on the first lap (yes, he has talent, but for what?)

Max let his driving talking in contrast to someone else

Kimi - Lap 52 - 40 sec back behind Seb; that's little bit too much

Men were separated from boys and big talkers.

Vettel did a brilliant job and I feel it wasn't there best circuit either. Seems like the pits is where all the action is this season. Another feather in your cap for your hatred on DR, why make that comment for? Didn't work for him at Monaco when max pitched it into the wall.

Boring race and ferrari as usual messed up with their strategies. Vettel was terrible. Too many lockups too many mistakes. That's not how you chase. Max did well defending the fast merc or rosberg forgot how to overtake. Terrible rosberg. I am sure kimi s performances are being noted . He is surely going after this season.

I wonder why jenson was given a high mileage engine. Poor decision from honda.

Force india s were good.

Boring race and ferrari as usual messed up with their strategies. Vettel was terrible. Too many lockups too many mistakes. That's not how you chase. Max did well defending the fast merc or rosberg forgot how to overtake. Terrible rosberg. I am sure kimi s performances are being noted . He is surely going after this season.

I wonder why jenson was given a high mileage engine. Poor decision from honda.

Force india s were good.

Yep, but Seb raced around with a new rear suspension. Lets hope Kimi comes back

I think what Sakae said was actually correct, it was the tyres wear everyone was suffering from. Even redbull admitted tyre deg issues so Sakae hit it on the head there. Seb had a brilliant start and was looking quite good and when he pitted before Lewis I honestly thought that was the winning move there. But like redbull, they stuffed the strategy, well maybe not stuffed it but wrong call. Lewis drove well and same as verstappen but I honestly thought Ricciardo would've finished higher if he could've passed verstappen earlier on, but sitting behind just destroyed his tyres. Same thing, similar circuit to Monaco in the sense it's basically a street circuit and that's where these issues arised particularly for Ferrari, so I admit Sakae was right on that issue there. Same with kimi, looked very quick earlier on and then basically fell of a cliff, tyres went away far to quick IMO, so many suffered. Which proves how well timed Vettel was saving his tyres and still had some to try fight Lewis. I hate to admit but Vettel did everything right and was the fastest, Lewis just had a faster car and on the day that was enough unfortunately.

Except for the brilliant start from vettel and some good moves to overtake the bulls he didn't do anything great yesterday. Not Wat is expected of a 4 time wdc. He was closing down the gap to 4 seconds and was on much fresher tyre when he made mistakes. From my point of view he could hAve won if he had pushed Hamilton to the limit. Hamilton drove around for nearly 50 laps. Just saying.

Yep, but Seb raced around with a new rear suspension. Lets hope Kimi comes back

Let's see what he does from here on. He was good from last year end.

I am happy with my driver, less with the strategy deployed. Despite 2 stopper, he trailed Hamilton in MERCEDES and his 1 stopper at the end merely by 5.011 sec. Whether he could overtake Hamilton or not in final stages is a subject of speculation. Murray Walker used to say, catching is one thing, overtaking is another; especially on highly worn tires which may, or may not go off the cliff, and sent off P2 in smoke. Driving at the limit, and constantly pushing the line carries some risk.

That's the thing, the tyres robbed him of victory as well but like I said he was the fastest driver and at points of the race fastest to, but Hamilton had the faster car, but in saying that if Ferrari didn't pit Vettel so early, he could've won, but maybe he's tyres were that shot already.

FiA data - Mercedes drivers still topping the sheets in speed and best sector times. Vettel's fastest lap of the race was No.70 (last one), which confirms, that he was pushing until the Finish line.

From race history sheets it is obvious, that Vettel did not have clean air in the front of him, as they were lapping slower cars, thus closing the gap in final stages was maybe asking too much.

True but have you noticed every time we get to see a decent race something has to happen to put an end to it basically. Why is it every one has trouble of late with pit strategy? Who will do it next? Mercedes?

Ferrari strategy was based on predicted tire performance, which was proven erroneous in being underestimated at the end. Not much blame to go around for the red team as I originally thought. Grid is pretty tight right now, and even minor slip can set a driver far back in positions. Sebastian was actually also talking about blast of wind, which sent him off track. Tires are less predictable these days, and there are no certainties.

I still think that Hamilton has done bad thing to Rosberg, yet there is less noise about it, than incident between Vettel and Raikonnen. Media may gladly forgive him, but I am not so sure that Rosberg will be so merciful.

What happened to all threats tossed Ferrari way by McLaren and Red Bull?

It's all tightened up nicely at the front of the championship now. A month ago Rosberg was looking imperious and people were already talking of him winning the championship. Three races later and all the comments about him not wanting it as much as Hamilton or not being a "street fighter" suddenly surface. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

Was Ricciardo's DRS working before his first pit-stop? I noticed that when he was behind his team mate in the early part of the race he wasn't opening his DRS. He may just have been outside the 1 sec window, but it didn't look like it at first glance. After his stop, his DRS was open when expected it to be. I haven't read or heard any comment from him about his race yet. If any of you have got any news on this please share.

Williams and Bottas were the obvious stars of the race, don't know how it happened, I'll have to re-watch the race to find out. That car is quick in a straight line, they must be looking forward to Monza already.

Has anyone past comment on Sir Martin Sorrell's thoughts on F1 made before the GP? If not I'll have to prepare something and post it sometime soon.

Overall, not a bad race, it's helped close the championship up and taken away Rosberg's points cushion that he could have used more shrewdly throughout the rest of the year in his battle with Hamilton. Now it's game on.

It will be interesting when we go to the new circuit in Baku as no one would actually have a real setup.