Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

radical-one

Baku - Not Needed !

1 hour ago, radical-one said:
1 hour ago, radical-one said:

Who is your horse?

Sebastian, of course, who else?

Despite my deeply ingrown aversion making race predictions, assuming Vettel will manage not to be hit by some hot-head, I think he has chance to make a podium high. His car is better in race trim than qualification setup. Hamilton might be out of picture in this event. Kimi could do good here as well. Ferrari strategist must wear diapers in this race for rather understandable reasons.

On 2016/06/10 at 11:49 PM, Quiet One said:

Safety evolves and adapts to the new risks. Before the 80s, your biggest risk was being trapped in what esentially was a fuel bomb with wheels. That is not the case anymore. Cars barely ever catch fire, and when they do, they usually spread slowly enopugh to give time for the driver to get out of the car.
On the other hand, the biggest accidents in the past years were related to the exposed parts of the body in a car, i.e.: the head, mostly. Massa's eye and Bianchi's and De Villota's heads. You can never prevent all accidents, because impredictability is inherent to accidents.
So, the sensible thing to do, and it is being done, is to focus on what is the most probable scenario and try to prevent that one. Nowadays, head protection is a bigger priority, precisely because past development minimized the usual sight of a fireball down the main straight.
Is halo ugly? So was the HANS device, yet probably saved us the sight of many drivers on wheelchairs paralized from the waist down in the past years.
This is a risky sport, but using that as an excuse for recklessness or disregard for peoples' lives is plain stupid.
I like how many fans want drivers to take unnecessary risks just so they can watch them sitting on their couchs and still say they feel sorry Ayrton is dead.

eh, on form here hey, can't help but agree...100%^_^

Depends how one defines "unnecessary" risk. Auto racing is inherently dangerous, and that's risk we live with in F1. Rallying in free time, or any other similar risk area for F1 drivers seems to me as unnecessary, and added risk increase. That's how I am looking at it. The team makes an investment in racing, and lot of people (families) have their income tied in this, hence for a driver to look only after his desires, like Kubica, and ignores general responsibility to others, is probably rather selfish, and simply bad behavior. Webber was also handicapped after his off-road accident, and never the same when he came back. It's not difficult issue to understand, regardless if one sits on the couch, or standing somewhere. Hallo will hopefully lower some existing danger associated with open c#ckpit racing, and most of us accept it as a "good thing". My only beef with Hallo is, if that's FiA's answer to the accident in Japan, than it has missed the mark by wide margin IMHO.

What are you talking about sakae? Webber went on to have the most successful part of his career after his broken leg in a cycling accident. That was the start of 2009, before he won his first race, don't know what your on about there?

Well I guess Lewis was right that the drivers moan to much, seems to be doing that a lot ATM.

Well, he is not exactly the quiet one, is he? Vettel this weekend has not complained about anything track, car or a team related.

An interesting track. I expect a lot of head scratching in Maranello when they come out from the shock, others might run for cover. 

FiA:

Hamilton clocks fastest time on Finish line 364.4 [km/hr]

Hülkenberg at the top at speed trap 340.8

Fastest:

Hamilton - sector 1

Vettel - sector 2

Perez - sector 3

Lmao once again Lewis speaks to soon and makes himself look like a complete w@nk.

12 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

eh, on form here hey, can't help but agree...100%^_^

Well...thanks...but your av is still ugly! :whistling:

You serious spiral? I thought it was a brilliant race, maybe it was overhyped being a new circuit but you must be happy, strong showing from kimi until that stupid penalty. Like he said, if you gain time, penalty but if you don't and you simply put a wheel on the line, bit harsh don't you think? Both Vettel and raikkonen did an incredible job making those tyres last.

10 hours ago, Sakae said:

Well, he is not exactly the quiet one, is he? Vettel this weekend has not complained about anything track, car or a team related.

That IMO was probably vettels best race this season in terms of pace and controlled tyre wear after there tyre issues. Still couldn't keep up with rosberg but and I guess he knows how it feels now to do everything and still not make any ground on the leader, just like others tried to catch him for so many years.

Rosberg still looks a lot more solid than Hamilton doesn't he? He also had an issue but figured out himself,not flip out like Lewis did. Lewis hasn't been able to beat Rosberg this season yet if Rosberg had a realistically trouble free race has he? To me when Rosberg doesn't have any issues, he looks a lot more solid than Lewis. This is rosbergs championship to loose and he has to grasp with both hands now as I honestly don't think he will ever get another chance like this tbh, his one and only shot, like webber in 2010 but let's hope nico doesn't butcher it like mark did. Him wining last night would be a huge confidence booster for him, knowing he can still win even if Lewis is on form.

3 hours ago, Emmcee said:

That IMO was probably vettels best race this season in terms of pace and controlled tyre wear after there tyre issues. Still couldn't keep up with rosberg but and I guess he knows how it feels now to do everything and still not make any ground on the leader, just like others tried to catch him for so many years.

Any edition of RBR car Vettel drove had not enjoyed a such unfair advantage such as Mercedes had in past 2.5 years. I think the debate of handcuffed competition has been sufficiently discussed, and there is no need to do it here again. I do consider this as a fact, while Mercedes thanks to FiA had breathing space on the side of PU since 2014, their research and development continued in other areas; luxury Ferrari didn't have. Take RBR of today - they get PU, thus their focus is on chassis, and we can see the result. Their chassis is one of the best. Within group of four, which includes RBR, Mercedes, McLaren and Ferrari, last one is in most disadvantage, becase their focus is on chassis on one side, and despised token system on the other side, thus engineering battle is on two fronts under extremely restrictive conditions. PU struggle for Ferrari is now almost over, whereas development of chassis is probably not. To setup Ferrari for the race, as someone pointed out this weekend, is difficult due to its very narrow optimal operating window. 

7 hours ago, Emmcee said:

Rosberg still looks a lot more solid than Hamilton doesn't he? He also had an issue but figured out himself,not flip out like Lewis did. Lewis hasn't been able to beat Rosberg this season yet if Rosberg had a realistically trouble free race has he? To me when Rosberg doesn't have any issues, he looks a lot more solid than Lewis. This is rosbergs championship to loose and he has to grasp with both hands now as I honestly don't think he will ever get another chance like this tbh, his one and only shot, like webber in 2010 but let's hope nico doesn't butcher it like mark did. Him wining last night would be a huge confidence booster for him, knowing he can still win even if Lewis is on form.

Yes. Lewis' couple of wins this season so far were gifts. Without those teams dropping the balls, Lewis would still be winless this season. I liked watching his frustrations on the radio not knowing what to do with his settings. Do your homework Lewis instead of smoking and partying around !

That's right, Lewis has only won when he capitalised on nico's misfortune. The only win questionable is Monaco but still nico wasn't able to go as quick as he wanted. Even if Lewis qualified on the front row, I honestly think he wouldn't have beaten Rosberg, he was simply to quick and the way he has been performing is he seems to want it more than Lewis, nico is at the height of his abilities now and he has to make use of it, his prime time is now.

I've finished reading Doc. No. 45, Technical Delegate Report sent to Stewards of the meeting, and I don't get it. For example:

On the grid it was checked that the top ten cars had fitted the tyres which they had used when doing their fastest lap in Q2. 

How is such regulation supports better racing in this series? Is FiA running out of work, so they are developing "keep yourself busy" agenda? Pff...

Yeah I hear ya, I still struggle to comprehend how this series wants to keep the title of the pinnacle of Motorsport , yet limit teams and drivers from exploiting there full abilities.

They also come up with "knee jerk reactions" to fatal or serious events and never prevention WITHOUT making the sport look absolutely stupid e.g, halo. They Fvck around with the cars and stop this and stop that and do this and do that. Teams and drivers get punished for innovation e.g. Redbull, blown diffuser, Flexi front wing. Stupid runs off not punishing drivers for making mistakes. And drivers like Vettel and alonso and Hamilton and so want to be called greats. You watch races from the 90-early2000 all sand traps rare run offs here and there, fast cars, no way today's drivers are in the same league. Bs you ask me but what do you do?

...all reasons, as stated, are behind my hesitancy comparing drivers of different technological eras over and beyond points awarded by FiA. Different normative references, different objectives, different conditions; all in all, I say, don't worry about Senna and Fangio, just enjoy what we have now. It took me over two years to swallow the bitter pill, but at the end this is what I think today about the only sport which I still follow.

no, we definetely don't need Baku on the F1 calendar, IMHO yesterday was a very sad day for F1

Since there's no thread on yesterday's race, here are my thoughts

Baku - what a sad place, what a miserable place Baku is... the city was deserted, no one could be bothered about attending the race, even people who had their balconies overlooking the circuit couldn't be bothered... and the President (and his wife!!!!) on the grid while a bunch of sad looking kids (who, I presume, would have rather been playing at the beach since it seems that it was a very hot day yesterday) was singing the national anthem... this is all there is wrong with F1 nowadays, only someone like Bernie could bring F1 into such disrepute. And the track was no much better, ok we had a long straight, excellent, but the rest was on a par with LAs Vegas, utterly pointless

Rosberg - total dominance from him, I suspect that in Austria he'll have a few issues with the car, Hamilton MUST be ahead! Seriously, he only manages to win when Hamilton is nowhere near him, otherwise in one was or the other either Hamilton pushes him off track or Nico has to let him through

Vettel - nothing to write home about, good for him that he challenged Ferrari's judgement regarding his pit stop, I'd say that Vettel and Kimi should ALWAYS do the exact opposite of what they are told from the pit wall, they will probably be much better off

Perez - he deserves to be at Ferrari

Raikkonen - when will this agony end? it is painful to have to witness what used to be one of the greatest sanking to such lows, before the race they were talking about Kimi in 2005, it really hurt

Hamilton - he's got an amazing talent, he could be one of the sport greatest yet he cannot keep his cool