Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

radical-one

Baku - Not Needed !

I was pleasantly surprised by the Baku track. It had the feeling of what a street race in Rome or Paris could be like.

Harsh for Kimi. He was slipstreaming and to get a penalty like that is criminal. Yet Lewis can push Nico wide at every opportunity and nothing ever happens to him. Hmmm. Anyway Kimi was flying for a good period of the race.

I don't mind seeing this race again to be honest. It was boring, but I found the city shots quite interesting. I know this is a stretch to call Baku a European city, but it sure did look like one.

I thought that circuit has more potential for a greater race than it was. Is it possible that novelty of a green track, and lack of data put teams on the back foot, and them, being overly conservative ultimately spoilt what could have been a better race? I do however think, racing aside, this actually seems to be more of an attempt to place Baku (and one hot lady) on the map. It is otherwise a great place.

I thought the circuit was fantastic, some beautiful fast sweeping corners that challenge the brave to be taken flat out. The back drop, it's a stunning circuit and if only the built circuits like this more often, we wouldn't have the bore fests we do. Very very surprised no one came together in the very very tight turn 9-10 uphill esses. I loved the circuit and can't wait to have a go on the new f1 game that coming out soon.

I am not troubled by differing impressions we take from Baku, and its possible that after race mood was set by more factors, than just quality of challenge track poses. More than track, my concern is about the team. Ferrari was not very convincing, and seemed lost whole weekend. Aero, chassis, both drivers; Seb seems also not very happy with the weekend. An Italian blogger in his interview with TS (Finish paper) suggested, that his "insider" tip says, that Kimi will drive for Ferrari next year.

I understand sebs frustration but what more could he do? He drove as hard as possible with what he had, no one was beating Rosberg that race, he was to fast. You were right about the tyre issues but, seems it affects certain teams at certain tracks. As both Ricciardo and verstappen said by lap 3 the had no grip in the rear and could do nothing more than they could. Riccardo wasn't supposed to do a two stop but he had to and it was only the medium that solved the issue for Riccardo.

8 hours ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

no, we definetely don't need Baku on the F1 calendar, IMHO yesterday was a very sad day for F1

Since there's no thread on yesterday's race, here are my thoughts

Baku - what a sad place, what a miserable place Baku is... the city was deserted, no one could be bothered about attending the race, even people who had their balconies overlooking the circuit couldn't be bothered... and the President (and his wife!!!!) on the grid while a bunch of sad looking kids (who, I presume, would have rather been playing at the beach since it seems that it was a very hot day yesterday) was singing the national anthem... this is all there is wrong with F1 nowadays, only someone like Bernie could bring F1 into such disrepute. And the track was no much better, ok we had a long straight, excellent, but the rest was on a par with LAs Vegas, utterly pointless

Rosberg - total dominance from him, I suspect that in Austria he'll have a few issues with the car, Hamilton MUST be ahead! Seriously, he only manages to win when Hamilton is nowhere near him, otherwise in one was or the other either Hamilton pushes him off track or Nico has to let him through

Vettel - nothing to write home about, good for him that he challenged Ferrari's judgement regarding his pit stop, I'd say that Vettel and Kimi should ALWAYS do the exact opposite of what they are told from the pit wall, they will probably be much better off

Perez - he deserves to be at Ferrari

Raikkonen - when will this agony end? it is painful to have to witness what used to be one of the greatest sanking to such lows, before the race they were talking about Kimi in 2005, it really hurt

Hamilton - he's got an amazing talent, he could be one of the sport greatest yet he cannot keep his cool

Honest point of view, as always. On subject of Ferrari, what impressed me, that Maranello brass for first time (at least I am aware off) admitted, that car is not ready yet for the championship. Both drivers were struggling whole weekend, admitted or not, but so much is true, yet with all fairness, so were RB, while FI and Mercedes were flying. 

Ferrari need to sort there crap out, Vettel is still in with an outside chance for the title or at least split both Mercedes in the standings anyway, that would be a first.

On 6/19/2016 at 6:06 PM, Sakae said:

Mathematically he still have a chance for the trophy but Ferrari needs to get their pace higher ASAP 

Yeah exactly, seems like everyone closed on merc over the winter but after the first round of major updates, they've pulled a gap again. This time it's almost as dominant as they have ever been.

Williams revealed, that Bottas after passing a speed trap was accelerating up to 378 [km/hr], which might be unofficial F1 speed record of all times. Mr. Tilke computational circuit planning assumptions considered 340 [km/hr] as potentially top speed for cars to travel. I am not really certain what Pirelli thought of it, however I do suspect that news of that kind probably required some rapid dipers changing in their hedquarters. 

Man that Williams is slippery in a straight line isn't it? I think your right sakae I think the actually official record still stands from Montoya at Monza hitting 362kph, 378 is a massive gap. The fastest an f1 car has gone is 412 I think and that was on the salt flats running basically no rear wing for drag reasons, yet bottas did in a full trim car, that's rediculous.

...to count as a record speed, it should be reached in race conditions. Montoya record held for a while, but now Bottas has it (unofficially).

Montoyas was actually 372kph not 362, my mistake, but it still stood for a longtime. The fastest ever cars were 2004 though. I found a comparison to last years cars and the 2004 cars were on average 3-4 seconds a lap quicker .

Williams has taken two records from that race:

Bottas - speed 378 [km/hr], as reported by the team

Massa - pit stop 1.9 [sec]

Holy crap that's a quick stop, webber and redbull held it last with a 2.3 sec stop I beleive.

On 6/20/2016 at 10:56 AM, Emmcee said:

You serious spiral? I thought it was a brilliant race, maybe it was overhyped being a new circuit but you must be happy, strong showing from kimi until that stupid penalty. Like he said, if you gain time, penalty but if you don't and you simply put a wheel on the line, bit harsh don't you think? Both Vettel and raikkonen did an incredible job making those tyres last.

You reckon it was a good race?  I dont recall seeing anything except a procession and some artificial over-taking!

I thought Kimi didnt perform at all with a stupid mistake and his team let him down with a bs strategy.

Opinions about the race in Baku is still raging on the pages of internet, deeply divided. I was preoccupied with struggling Ferrari, so, in retrospect I am not sure what to think. I was more relieved when it was over, than happy. Cooper made an interesting observation, that drivers on the podium in Monaco, Perez, DR, and Hamilton, they all crushed their cars in Baku. Interestingly, those were the only incidents, despite all predictions it will be carnage during a race, with SC crossing FINISH line first, followed by Rosberg. 

Ecclestone wants a night race next year, but some estimates are that this would increase cost to the promoter in the amount of 17 MM EUR, because it has to be installed, and taken off after each race.

On 6/22/2016 at 2:17 PM, Sakae said:

Williams has taken two records from that race:

Bottas - speed 378 [km/hr], as reported by the team

Massa - pit stop 1.9 [sec]

That means Lewis' fart takes longer than Williams pit stop ? Isn't that amazing ? 

If it's a brain fart, they could finish the championship of before that finishes.

What's your thoughts on kimi for next season spiral? I hope they keep him tbh as everything seems to be working just fine, what's your take on this?

13 hours ago, Emmcee said:

What's your thoughts on kimi for next season spiral? I hope they keep him tbh as everything seems to be working just fine, what's your take on this?

I dont know any more tbh mate.