Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

2016 Pirelli

Pirelli are crap anyway, I brought a set for my wrx to see what all the hype was about, absolute crap, swapped them straight back to a set of potenza's. On the circuit, first time I took the wrx out with Pirelli's and they came up to temp real quick and I was excited immediately and very impressed, only to be shot down in a blaze of glory as they literally fell of the cliff in performance and much much earlier than the bridgestones I usually use. Couldn't brake as late or go as deep into the corner either with them utter garbage.

For years on my personal car I've used Good Year (happy with those), and then later when bought an upgrade, it had Michelins on them. Later on yet I took on Bridgestones, but fact is, I never could decide which are better. Bridge was just a shade more expensive, but performance wise, I could not complain about either. I guess on personal vehicle, as opposed to in racing, differences aren't that pronounced.

I am still waiting when Hembery of even higher up someone will commit seppuku, or at least resign in shame due to facepalm stuff we see on the track. I do recall a case in US, when Firestone (subsidiary of Bridgestone) had a problem, failed to deliver a suitable tire for a race (similar to Michelin to the F1), and one of ranking executives in Japan consequently resigned. I guess Memo hasn't reached Pirelli guys.

1 hour ago, Emmcee said:

Pirelli are crap anyway, I brought a set for my wrx to see what all the hype was about, absolute crap, swapped them straight back to a set of potenza's. On the circuit, first time I took the wrx out with Pirelli's and they came up to temp real quick and I was excited immediately and very impressed, only to be shot down in a blaze of glory as they literally fell of the cliff in performance and much much earlier than the bridgestones I usually use. Couldn't brake as late or go as deep into the corner either with them utter garbage.

+100

I used pirelli once only once and sold it after 200KM becuase of vibrations that can't be resolved by balancing.

I wished I lived in Japan, then finally I'd have a good tuner to work on my 33. Here in Aus I went to three tuners as I has a boost flat spot and all three couldn't fix it and each of th had it for the whole day. Found one dude that found the issue and fixed it in 45 mins and didn't even need to put it in the dyno. I want a decent tuner and there all in Japan.

You got that right. All my friends outside of work are mechanics and car racers/enthusiast, 

fun people. I do all my car maintenance at home. Mechanics come to my place and do it all on weekends.

Well the idiot that had the car before me, piggybacked the ecu with some home made crap and my car kept thinking it was going flat out all the time, therefore the timing was way out and air and fuel mixtures, so much better now, goes harder on less boost than before.

ECU mods in Japan is beyond great ! 

I did with all my cars and they're all perfect ! Torque gains and fuel consumption were all impeccable !

Yeah well over here most of the tuners are backyard Cowboys.

Wonder if I can bring my ecu with me to Japan, get it mapped properly, bring it home, fit it and then dyno.

I am encountering difficulties with following various discussions these days, because software will not permit me going back in thread, and read all preceding post, thus context of a first post at the top of new page is in most cases lost.

Can't you go back to the main menu and just elect the previous page instead of the latest?

On 14 July 2016 at 9:03 PM, Emmcee said:

Can't you go back to the main menu and just elect the previous page instead of the latest?

Yes you can, predicated on a condition that you actually see it. Sily season currently has 17 pages, but one can see only first four pages and the last one. Page 16 is not loading up on my notebook.

Am I the only one who see this tire selection process by Pirelli per track totally bogus? Why would a tire company take strategy of tire selection out of team hands? Who is there to guarantee, that they aren't manipulating racing results by means allocating tires for specific tracks which favors certain teams, while others have difficulties due to specific vehicle engineering? New headlines announcing that Pirelli choosed today tires for Brazil, but this begs a question, why Pirelli have to do that, and why this choice is made so late in the season, when vehicle characteristics of each team are known to them? Proper solution would be to let teams choose any tire they wish (on a sufficient lead time for manufacturing, of course). Optics seems not entirely right about this process. 

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

Am I the only one who see this tire selection process by Pirelli per track totally bogus? Why would a tire company take strategy of tire selection out of team hands? Who is there to guarantee, that they aren't manipulating racing results by means allocating tires for specific tracks which favors certain teams, while others have difficulties due to specific vehicle engineering? New headlines announcing that Pirelli choosed today tires for Brazil, but this begs a question, why Pirelli have to do that, and why this choice is made so late in the season, when vehicle characteristics of each team are known to them? Proper solution would be to let teams choose any tire they wish (on a sufficient lead time for manufacturing, of course). Optics seems not entirely right about this process. 

You make a good point there mate.

I know this may sound silly but why not use one type of compound for each - Wet, Intermediates, Slick. ( no soft, super soft, and all that crap)

Unlimited number of tires available each race. You can change tires as much as you want or not change tires at. It's up to each team/driver's strategy.

Why not allow cars to run two different compounds like they do in MotoGP? Like you could run super softs on the front and just softs on the rear for example.

Again at Interlagos Pirelli showed how sub-parr their tires are in the rain. 

Cars all over the place. Pirelli tyres can also be the culprit of Jules accident in Suzuka. Kimi, Grosjean and others knows what I'm talking about.

Yep agree, they have had yonks to sort there crap out. Bring back Bridgestone.

Whilst I'm no fan of Pirelli, to blame Jules' death on them is grossly unfair imo. He died in a freak accident underneath a recovery vehicle, something Martin Brundle had been warning of for YEARS as he himself nearly died in a similar accident. Drivers have been spinning and sliding off the track since F1 began, regardless of the supplier. 

I absolutely agree the current tyres are laughable and a safety car start completely sterilises the race. Wet tyres should be able to handle wet weather. You know something is fundamentally wrong when the race starts under the safety car due to rain, the car comes in after 5 laps, followed by drivers switching to inters within 2 laps. Something is wrong either with the trigger happy safety car, the poor quality Pirelli wet tyres,  or both.

For one of the first times last weekend I began seriously questioning why I bother to religiously follow  F1 when it has become so sterile. I love the sport but man alive it needs an overhaul top to bottom.