Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

McLaren Honda Doomed To Fail

The problem is that they have taken REAL race cars away from a racers sport and turned it into and engineering sport instead that now has to be governed by rediculous rules to stop one engineer being smarter than the other. It hasn't been about the driver since say way back in 2006 or so. I don't know why they keep beating around the bush and saying this and that needs to be changed when people like us know exactly what needs to be done. What stops them? The fear of loosing control? More like bernie has the fear of loosing control because if the drivers get the leverage they so badly need, the sport will see that all bernie does is literally pi$$ in everyone's pocket. I feel disgusted tbh as I grew up watching the sport when IMO it was at its peak in the early to mid nineties and now I have to watch these races again on YouTube just to get that feeling I took for granted every two weeks all those years ago. The sport should be ashamed of what it has turned into and as soon as these big egos let go of there power they so badly think they need, it will be the first step in the right direction. 2006 was literally the last REAL drivers championship before extreme politics and control took over IMO.

It's been tried in numerous series and the only ones it seems to work for is tin tops but that's because they have full on pitstops which require refuelling and such and regulated tyre compounds. I seriously can't even believe bernie came up with this and this should proove his intent imediatly. It's all about money and him wanting to attract new fans to the sport, what about catering for the fans already? This proves he is going senile, didn't he say not long ago he doesn't care for new younger fans as they can't afford tickets to his races anyway? What a clown, HE should be accountable as he is single handidly bringing the sport into disrepute but because he basically owns it, he sees that he never does anything wrong and the fact he is threatening to replace historic races like monza, spa and Suzuka because he chooses to raise race fees is an absolute joke. God he makes me furious this old fart.

It's one race in two parts. Cars will be eliminated as in quali so it plays hell with strategy - I like that. F1 as it was back in the day will not and can not return. Make it sexy or let it die.  Personally, I think the FIA should have nothing to do with the spec, just keep the peace and deal with safety. Use whatever you want to make the fastest car out there. Then everyone's tuned in and the stands are full. It's like taking the offside rule away from football. Wow, now your talking.

That was fast. Little confusing (like most things surrounding F1), but RD is out, new CEO is in, or is he?

So, what does this mean for RD? Fishing together with Ross or does he plans to start his own series F1A+ grade?

So, what now? Jost Capito to Ferrari? The guy only got to remove plastic off his new chair, and now he is out of the job? He was supposed to be a CEO FFS; EB is in similar mess.  Stability in 2017? After this, I would be not betting on that.

3 hours ago, Insider said:

It's one race in two parts. Cars will be eliminated as in quali so it plays hell with strategy - I like that. F1 as it was back in the day will not and can not return. Make it sexy or let it die.  Personally, I think the FIA should have nothing to do with the spec, just keep the peace and deal with safety. Use whatever you want to make the fastest car out there. Then everyone's tuned in and the stands are full. It's like taking the offside rule away from football. Wow, now your talking.

Why not bring the excitement back by racing properly and originally by introducing refuelling again? That is the most simplest solution that we know works. Why take a gamble in something we don't know the affect of? That's all f1 ever does, bring in new rules and elements to fix previous stuff ups instead of reverting back to a known formula that works, that's the smartest way IMO.

On 11/21/2016 at 7:03 PM, Sakae said:

That was fast. Little confusing (like most things surrounding F1), but RD is out, new CEO is in, or is he?

So, what does this mean for RD? Fishing together with Ross or does he plans to start his own series F1A+ grade?

So, what now? Jost Capito to Ferrari? The guy only got to remove plastic off his new chair, and now he is out of the job? He was supposed to be a CEO FFS; EB is in similar mess.  Stability in 2017? After this, I would be not betting on that.

Now we know - Jost is out.

More here.

Had the chance to talk to one of Honda's engineer. He works under Yasuhisa Arai - Honda's Chief Engineer. 

According to him, he said that Honda's new engine is fully changed and if matched properly with the Chassis, it is expected to get Alonso back into podiums this year.

Sounds promising, let's see the results....

And didn't I so over 12 months ago that Honda would eventually work with mclaren. But a few like the thread title suggests believed they were "doomed to fail". Honda is to good and to professional to give up let alone allow it to happen.

Yes true. This guy I met is one of the 'Takumi' for Honda factory here. He said he couldn't wait for the start of the season.

I can feel that McLaren will go up the pecking order soon.

Former members of McLaren organization do suggest that Honda PU was not the only sub-system that had to improve. Chassis was on a "black" list as well.

Wow thats good news.Hopefully the chassis also comes good. Its about time we see Alonso/Mclaren fighting at the top.

I also heard somewhere Mclaren had a role in 2017 regs. Is that true?

I am not aware of specifics on subject of McLaren's involvement in formulating latest regulatory changes, however it is well documented, that Boullier, Dennis and Alonso were very vocal in their critique during past three years of regulatory restrictiveness.

I don't think there chassis was no where near as bad as made out. There car looked quite complete IMO, just lacking power and reliability. As the saying goes, it's easier to made a reliable car faster than it is to make a faster car reliable.

Well you just have to look at circuits like silverstone where the car was pretty quick on a circuit that demands a good chassis with the sweeping fast bends. It may not be as good as I think it is but it's certainly now where near as bad as they make out, bit of bluffing on there behalf more like it I think.

Yeah but mclaren showed vast power gains late last season and seemed quite competitive. Now if the chassis was as bad as they claimed, there is no way they would've made vast improvements so late on. You can have the power but if your chassis is crap, you can't transfer the power in a way as desired and it has a ripple affect towards the handling. You know that sakae, I think it's just mclaren playing abit if a bluffing game and trying to keep the focus of themselves. If they have made massive ground and Mercedes has the focus set on Ferrari and redbull and vice versa, it gives them the chance to close even more ground.

If memory serves me, comments about McLaren's chassis needing some more work (that I read) originated with Ramirez.

McLaren always bluff. All teams do. I expect the McLaren Honda package make great strides, but I also fully expect Mercedes to pull something out of the bag too. It's been relatively quiet on their front but I imagine they've had a new spec. engine in development for quite some time.

Also, 100 posts!! ;) Looooong way to catch up!

I am assuming Ramirez has an inside source for car related buzz. A few old guards, loyal to Dennis, are still working. He is about 15 years out from there, but he stayed in touch, people know who he is, and as a former mechanic, he knows a thing or two to ask right questions of interest. After 17 years with McLaren organization he was a part of the establishment.

McLaren = endangered species?

That's a new one. Why they kept such expensive drivers when they lack funds for it? Honda must be "elated" after they spend good bucks on research, and now this. That would explain why they are for budget cap. Drowning man is grasping for straws, whether it makes sense or not.

Am I the only one who finds McLaren somewhat arrogant? Always bleating about being such a great and professional outfit but.. they haven't had a title sponsor for years, including this upcoming season. Now Brown is talking about a potential nine figure sponsorship deal? £100,000,000+, GTFO.

The problem was RD. They'll figure it out now. McLaren as a company is still making (and worth) buckets of money. There is no reason for them to quit.

Regarding Brown's comments, consider. You hire a guy to fix things and he opens up with "it's all over". Please. The fvcking attention drama queen is constantly on the F1 circus news rounds.

The fact is that Macca got far more racing TV air than it rightly deserved because of Alonso and Button. If a sponsor did not see a benefit is that it is because of, yep, RD.