Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

McLaren Honda Doomed To Fail

2 hours ago, Master of his game said:

Why is that? How are the planning to improve the car  if they are not ready to listen to drivers feedback? How do you know vettel and kimi aren't involved in car s development ? 

As far as I could recollect kimi is heavily involved in car development. 

Problem is, I am not in a position to confirm or contradict various claims on the internet. From German sources my understanding is, that top brass recommended for drivers to step back and let design office to do what design office does. My guess is, that concern was that design will be then slanted in favor of one driver, perhaps to detriment of his teammate. True, false, I have no idea. It can work, if a such baseline permits sufficiently individual setup to accommodate each driver's preferences, but danger of course also exists, that nobody will be really happy. Vettel stated towards end of last year that issues with last year car were identified, defined and conveyed to the engineering staff - so, I gather they know.

2 hours ago, Master of his game said:

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/594323/Hondas_new_approach_very_high_risk/

What do they mean by trial and error? Its been two years.They are still in testing phase. I hope they dont back to 2015.

Honda dumped design which was used last year in favor of new one, emulating Mercedes, Who knows what else they have done, but we will find out in about 2 weeks how it will pan out. The change carries inherent risk, so much is clear.

Hasegawa said they will concentrate on ICE and improvements in that area, which confuses heck out of me, because my expectations are that troubled subsystems will be with energy recovery units. Well, he is in charge, and I am (thankfully) not.

4 hours ago, Quiet One said:

People still believing that Alonso is somehow detrimental for his teams and/or F1 in general in 2017. Bless their cottons socks.

I am not certain who is believing or saying something like that, nor how did you arrived to such conclusion, but count me out. Alonso was frustrated with Ferrari, he let them know, but happy or not, he cooled off somewhat at McLaren, and that's where we are.

4 hours ago, Quiet One said:

People still believing that Alonso is somehow detrimental for his teams and/or F1 in general in 2017. Bless their cottons socks.

Indeed.

From "fired", the claim then moved to "let go", yet, wasn't his contract finished? Perhaps, "not renewed despite no necessity whatsoever for that renewal to take place even if there was original intention on both or either parties for that renewal to take place under certain conditions" will be the next claim.

The question then, of course, is why negative claim after negative claim (always hypothetical yet systematically negative, you see)? Perhaps the motivation is to take attention from something else, like the Ferrari's performance since... also Alonso's fault, btw, like climate warming or the unusual micro-migrations of North American hellbender salamanders.

After all, fanatical sources still claim that "fired", "let go", or "spawned by the devil" are not due to Alonso's racing performance but, rather, on his ballroom dancing gracefulness. Amusing implications regarding the real source of these claims.

Don't make me find proof from 2014, you could to if you put more effort in. There's plenty mate all your trying to do is justify that Ferrari signed Seb out of pure desire, not as fernandos replacement.

53 minutes ago, Emmcee said:

Don't make me find proof from 2014, you could to if you put more effort in. There's plenty mate all your trying to do is justify that Ferrari signed Seb out of pure desire, not as fernandos replacement.

Rubbish. I do not know about individual motives, but based on time line and general circumstances, maybe Vettel's availability and desire to switch teams were taken as an opportune moment by Ferrari how to deal with Alonso. Stop worrying about my evil characters and (nonexistent) intentions, and concentrate on time line and reported events, just as content some of the articles linked in earlier posts. I've never claimed that Alonso was let go or fired because Vettel is a better driver, thus any such claims are not my problem. 

Does it make however sense to anyone that a person has a contract (obviously option) until 2016, then says I want to stay, only for Vettel to announce 4 weeks later he is leaving RB and guess to where? Something happened at Ferrari which broke camel's back, and plausible explanation is, that general unhappiness on PR field with outspoken driver was a big deal for Maranello, and later calling Mattiacci SOB in public (as reported by several sources)  was a trigger, and it has really not helped to forge any further continuation of their mutual relationship. That's what I am guessing. Do you think that Vettel would have quit RB unless he had a "Letter of Intent" from another team in his pocket? Get real.

Again, the contract ran to 2014 and, yep, was not extended, even if that was what some people wanted and apparently now demand so that they can justify "dealing with Alonso", the new claim. Naturally, still a negative claim.

And why the juggling efforts? Apparently it is connected to Vettel, we are told.

No word on Ferrari's performance gains since the fired, let go, dealt with, etc, etc, Alonso moved on.

I could be wrong but the sore spot, then and apparently still, is that Vettel was in a limbo for months while Alonso calmly let everyone know who had more weight in the field (no mystery to anyone but embarrassing for some), once again calling into question the value of those 4 world championships.

Now, is it possible that, since Vettel needed out of RBR, Ferrari saw an opportunity to snatch him and that they suicidally preferred to muscle their top performer out instead of letting go of their weak link (perhaps an inability/unwillingness to pay two top salaries, fair enough). It could be, sure. After all, it was reported many times that Mattiacci was an arsehole to Alonso, demanding impossible wins of him in order to push him over the edge, while Kimi apparently could (and did) satisfy other lesser standards that were on par with the car. If so, sure, perhaps Mattiacci got Alonso to eventually snap on camera.

Nonetheless, I am aware that the hypothetical narrative I outlined above is fatally flawed because, while it is as substantiated as other (perhaps even better than others), it does not make Alonso look bad.

And if Alonso is not made to look bad, what are we to do with Vettel (or Hamilton for that matter)?

...and one wonders from where alias Teflon-so originated. Nothing sticks. Now I have to see him walking on water, and I will be totally converted man. Vettel obviously according to some minds around here had brain fade, and quit his job with having another one prepared for him (since Alonso hold all cards in his hand - allegedly). Yeah right, that must be it. 

Geez Sakae get over it, get used to the fact Seb was the second option. Heck don't make me find the hundreds of posts from the forum when people where using the fact he signed for Ferrari so late as  one of the main excuses as to why  he wasn't doing so well.

Alonso still to this day is much more sort after compared to Seb and for one simple reason only, everyone knows alonso won't go against the team like Seb has proven a couple of times. Yeah he may have said  a few nasty things in the media a while back but that's far less bad compared to going against your team orders on circuit and then making up bs excuses as to why he did it instead of being a man and telling the truth, just a weasel. If I were a team manager I would much rather have a driver bagging the team to the media but know I can rely on him if I have to throughout the race, not have the thought that he may well object. These same Vettel defenders are ones who support everything he does and are all over alonso for some negative remarks, like wtf are these people blind or is it to much Mercury build up on the brain? Either one it creates such transparent and bs biased remarks that are so one sided and so far from being even close to correct is a joke. It's like why even bother communicating on the forum when you can't have a unbiased conversation? It's rediculous, if Vettel is so innocent then no one is at fault for anything because no current driver is as dirty as Vettel with the exception of maybe Lewis. Everyone knows this but let me guess 90% of the people are wrong hey? Ohh and don't get me started on his blue flag fetish.

17 min into start of testing, Alonso is back in pits, and engine covers are off. No one else seems to be doing the same.

On engine side - RBR caused Red Flag - first of this year; stopping on the track. DR forgot to smile when he came into pits.

Engines, engines, engines...

Bad news for McLaren. Honda has found an oil systems issue, which requires a full investigation. The team plans to run again today, but "due to the difficult access location, it will take several hours to resolve".