Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

radical-one

Hungary - 2016

A few years ago I would have said that a race like last Sunday's was a waste of time, by the standards of modern F1 I am tempted to say that it was nearly interesting.

Hamilton - he did well on turn 1 on the opening lap at that's it, he had a decent first stint but after that it was painful to watch him, he had great problems with those soft tyres, his off on Friday could have cost him dear (if they were racing in a proper track)

Rosberg - I think that he was faster that Hamilton, and considerably so with the soft tyres, pity for him that he fell asleep at the start: I mean how on earth did he manage to miss a chance to cover both an attack from Ricciardo and one from Hamilton? :wacko: covering from Hamilton could have been very easy. One mistake that cost him the race and the championship lead. He needs to toughen up, he didn't even try to challenge Hamilton even if he was (considerably, at times) faster than him

Ricciardo - great start but I was expecting more from him (and from Verstappen) because that track looked to be very well suited to their very balanced car

Vettel - he drove well and was a hammer as usual but if he doesn't even try to overtake there's not much point, isn't it?

Verstappen - he knows that he can get away with it and duly flaunted the rule book, in a sense good for him, F1 need him and so he can afford to behave like he did. Other than that I was expcting more from him, he wasn't very impressive, apart from his ability to keep calm under pressure which IMHO is remarkeable for someone as young as he is

Raikkonen - ah I loved the way he drove yesterday, I really did, if it wasn't for Kimi I would have turned the tv off before the end of the race. My only remark is about his racecraft: I know that Verstappen was driving like his dad (...), I undertand that, but if you have a guy who is prepared to cut a few corners to keep you behind you only have a few options to pass in a place like that, either you cut a few corners as well or you take a punt, there's no point in being a good honest sportsman, IMHO trying to out brake Verstappen was a strategy bound to fail, I personally would have tried to get alongside him under braking for turn 1 (not very hard for Kimi to do this, especially when he had his tyres still fresh), close on him and see what happens. Some drivers less fair than Kimi have learned that they can get away with such behaviour with him, he still tries to out drive his opponets in a dice, that's remarkeable in a fair dice but when things turn slightly less fair he needs to show to these punks that they can't get away with such behaviour. And if he crashes every now and then there's no problem, these kids will take him seriously next time

Alonso - when the car gives him a chance he shines, you can see that something clicks inside him and he goes like hell, IMHO yesterday he was the best out there with Kimi

21 minutes ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

Vettel - he drove well and was a hammer as usual but if he doesn't even try to overtake there's not much point, isn't it?

Vettel - We were much stronger at the end of the race, maybe a couple of tenths, but unfortunately not quick enough to pass. If I had been able to, I would have done more, but I tried everything until the end, we were on a good strategy, we had more pace at the end but as I said this is one of the most difficult tracks for overtaking.

DR, like his teammate, would have been able to take some liberties, and get away with it, potentially resulting in Vettel's gaining no points whatsoever. He has enough experience to assess his position, and make judgement. It is what it is.

10 minutes ago, Sakae said:

DR, like his teammate, would have been able to take some liberties, and get away with it, potentially resulting in Vettel's gaining no points whatsoever. He has enough experience to assess his position, and make judgement. It is what it is.

no I don't think that DR would be able to get away with breaking the rules, besides it looks to me as if DR is a very fair sportsman

5 hours ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

no I don't think that DR would be able to get away with breaking the rules, besides it looks to me as if DR is a very fair sportsman

Sakae thinks he is more of a whinger and dirty driver than Seb. Must be watching different sports as I find Ricciardo one of the most honest sportspersons I've seen. What you see is what you get.

9 hours ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

I meant on that track Vettel could gotten his car damaged during a RB's line change, and face difficulty to finish the race. I didn't really say it had to be a dirty block. Similar to, or even worse, what happened to Raikonnen in the same race. I am not so sure that Ferrari was that much faster than RB to execute a decisive move, and make it stick, including turn 1 scenario you've alluded to earlier.

4 hours ago, Emmcee said:

Sakae thinks he is more of a whinger and dirty driver than Seb. Must be watching different sports as I find Ricciardo one of the most honest sportspersons I've seen. What you see is what you get.

You give me far too much credit, Emmcee.

Did you notice verstappen in Hungary diving down the inside of Vettel into turn one on the first lap? Very similar to kvyat wasn't it? Forced Vettel to adjust his line and steering inputs, turning in then turning away and turning in again but because it didn't affect him this time as much as kvyats he said nothing, bet if he lost another position, Seb would've lost his mind. Funny how things go unseen or unmentioned as it would debunk the prior claim.

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 2:18 PM, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

...it was nearly interesting.

Rosberg...He needs to toughen up, he didn't even try to challenge Hamilton even if he was (considerably, at times) faster than him

Vettel...but if he doesn't even try to overtake there's not much point, isn't it?

Verstappen...he knows that he can get away with it and duly flaunted the rule book....Other than that I was expcting more from him, he wasn't very impressive, apart from his ability to keep calm under pressure which IMHO is remarkeable for someone as young as he is.

Great stuff. You missed your calling.

I had high expectations for this race but it didn't really get started.  After the first pit-stops I think everyone went into tyre management mode.  The tyres at the beginning of the race held on for longer than the team or Pirelli predicted then after the first stop the Mercedes duo, and particularly Hamilton, drove well within the performance of the tyre so as to avoid an unnecessary stop later.  Ricciardo closed up to the Mercedes quickly but it was never really a threat as I felt they had a performance advantage and could have increased their pace if they had to.  I don't like this way of driving within the performance level of the tyre, or rather I don't like the artificial behaviour of the tyre if you do exceed its performance levels and it suddenly drops off the cliff.

Only real excitement was Max & Kimi.  I don't think Max's defence of his position was overly aggressive.  Indeed from where I was sitting it looked like another indication that Kimi is losing his race-craft.  Just ask Bottas about that.

Yellow flags in qualifying: No problem there, you win some, you lose some.  If Hamilton was in Rosberg's position he would have kept his foot in it to the end of the lap and argued about it later.  That's what you do as a racing driver.  Rosberg should have pointed that out to him when Hamilton brought it up.  I didn't like that fact that the stewards took so long to investigate the incident; very poor, they should be reprimanded.

2 hours ago, Senna's Ghost said:

Only real excitement was Max & Kimi.  I don't think Max's defence of his position was overly aggressive.  Indeed from where I was sitting it looked like another indication that Kimi is losing his race-craft.  Just ask Bottas about that.

Maybe u need to sit higher :P  Double move from Verstappen, went left then blocked right

Max should've been penalised hands down, he did it not once but twice. The rule is, your allowed to move once to defend and then back again to take the line BUT to move across to defend has to be done BEFORE the driver starts braking and not during braking. The driver needs to make his intentions clear to the other driver before the enter the braking zone on where his car would be, man if schumi did this, people would be calling him a cheat and say he is doing it on purpose to take the other guy out. I love verstappens aggression, just what f1 needed but both times, he moved to defend way to late. Especially when kimi hit him and lost his a piece of his wing, that could've been a huge accident with the Ferrari mounting the redbull and getting airborne, just lucky is was a driver with the experience and skills of kimi, could you imagine if it was Maldonado, ohh boy would've been a mess.

1 hour ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Maybe u need to sit higher :P  Double move from Verstappen, went left then blocked right

:D I knew I'd get a reaction with that.

I don't like the rules of driving being written down in a book and imposed on a driver.  They are all big boys playing a big boys sport.  Self policing is what is needed, not someone detached from the situation saying that move was within the rules or that move wasn't within the rules.  Drivers self policing the sport worked from the inception of motor racing up until the last 10 years or so.  Another reason why F1 is losing its appeal to the public.

When F1 promotes itself it uses race footage from the past such as Villeneuve v Arnoux at Dijon when they were bashing wheels, exceeding the track limits, blocking one another, or many Mansell v Piquet at Silverstone in 1987 with the dummy move in Stowe to take the lead.  Both of these would be punished in this day and age.  The drivers knew how to look after themselves on and off the track back then.

4 hours ago, Senna's Ghost said:

:D I knew I'd get a reaction with that.

I don't like the rules of driving being written down in a book and imposed on a driver.  They are all big boys playing a big boys sport.  Self policing is what is needed, not someone detached from the situation saying that move was within the rules or that move wasn't within the rules. 

while I can understand what you're saying I think that you're missing the point: if there is a rule it needs to be applied with consistency, using a standard with a couple of drivers (Verstappen, Hamilton? in the past we had Schumacher, Senna, etc) and another with the rest doesn't make sense, had Kimi responded by flauting the rule bokk as well chances are that he would have been punished

Consistency and favouritism is and always has been the issue, sport is rigged to an extent.

23 hours ago, Emmcee said:

Max should've been penalised hands down, he did it not once but twice. The rule is, your allowed to move once to defend and then back again to take the line BUT to move across to defend has to be done BEFORE the driver starts braking and not during braking. The driver needs to make his intentions clear to the other driver before the enter the braking zone on where his car would be, man if schumi did this, people would be calling him a cheat and say he is doing it on purpose to take the other guy out. I love verstappens aggression, just what f1 needed but both times, he moved to defend way to late. Especially when kimi hit him and lost his a piece of his wing, that could've been a huge accident with the Ferrari mounting the redbull and getting airborne, just lucky is was a driver with the experience and skills of kimi, could you imagine if it was Maldonado, ohh boy would've been a mess.

yeah good post