Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

radical-one

Hungary - 2016

Well looks like redbull have leaped Ferrari here, just like it was anticipated.

Due to red flag, Ferrari has not completed their setup, therefore placing after FP2 might not be totally representative of their true potential. Race is tomorrow, and FP3 might be better representative how qualification shall develop. I am not accusing them from doing so, but merely wonder if RB is bending rules around edges on tire pressure. Their sudden progress under relatively stable, never mind inept, rules is not easily to explain. RB clan, especially drivers,  does a lot talking, for my taste anyway.

It is easy to explain sakae, we all knew redbull would be quick there, they always are and with the current run of form, I knew it would take a lot for Ferrari to match redbull on an aero circuit. Ferrari just doesn't have the aero redbull or Mercedes have, it's as simple as that. I also think it's fair to say that redbull have found some more power from that rebadged Renault lump in the back end.

It's not on par with redbull put it that way, Monaco should've showed most people again that the redbull aero is superior. Even in Barcelona they were fast and they shouldn't have been going of past history. There aero has improved once again and working well with the power upgrade, that circuits like Catalunya where you need a well balanced car, redbull has made gains there when in the past it was known as a weak/weaker point.

Vettel accused Button from blocking him from what could have been, in his estimation, a second row. Not a clean Saturday run. Kimi had his own issues.

He had the same track time as everyone else and I highly doubt button, a man of his expertise and experience behind the wheel, held him up on purpose. Did you say Seb thinks Henson cost him a second? You know how long a second is a feels on that type of situation? It's an eternity, could there be an exaggeration there? Stewards would defiantly see someone holding up a car for a second.

A few observations from qualifying:

1. It does seem the grid is still lining up by team. 1) Mercedes, 2) Red Bull, 3) Ferrari 4) McLaren and 5 & 6) Force India and Williams. Is this really the pecking order for the rest of the season. Is Ferrari really the #3 team, McLaren now the #4 team and Force India and Williams (and Toro Rosso) fighting for the remaining spots? This seems to have been the pattern in the last couple of races.

2. Hamilton really slowed for the yellow flag. I was surprised by that on a qualifying run. The stopped car was clearly not on the road, but apparently they have gotten a lot stricter about what a yellow flag means. Apparently Rosberg didn't get the memo.

3. Vettel seems to always be complaining about being blocked in qualifying. This might be better than blaming Team Ferrari for completely losing the thread on this year's development.

4. Kimi signed a contract for next year......and now has gone back to being Kimi.

5. DR beat Verstappen in qualifying yet again. If Vertappen is really the next boy-wonder, he does need to start out-qualifying his less heralded teammate.

3 hours ago, Ruslan said:

Vettel seems to always be complaining about being blocked in qualifying.

Before this becomes one of those internet based "historical facts", are you really sure about it? On my side, if Vettel said Button "was sleeping", then perhaps we could consider it as that being possibly a matter of fact. Button is not infallible, and I do not care how many years of so call experience he has. It is also known that he has the thing about Vettel, so I leave it at this. After all, Vettel did not run to Charlie and complain, something Button is known to do. Vettel was competitive with RB per time sheets prior this incident. Intermediate results do suggest that he would have been significantly higher up.

I don't know why Hamilton is comaining, there's a couple of times I can remember yellows coming out on his flying lap and never hampered him for pole so now someone else does it and it's not fair?

The places of the five drivers involved – Daniel Ricciardo, Max Verstappen, Nico Hulkenberg, Valtteri Bottas and Sergio Perez – had been investigated by the stewards because they had not set a time within 107 percent of the fastest time in Q1.

But following lengthy deliberation by the stewards it was decided that not only would they be allowed to start, but that they would keep their original grid slots.

9 hours ago, Ruslan said:

1. It does seem the grid is still lining up by team. 1) Mercedes, 2) Red Bull, 3) Ferrari 4) McLaren and 5 & 6) Force India and Williams. Is this really the pecking order for the rest of the season. Is Ferrari really the #3 team, McLaren now the #4 team and Force India and Williams (and Toro Rosso) fighting for the remaining spots? This seems to have been the pattern in the last couple of races.

2. Hamilton really slowed for the yellow flag. I was surprised by that on a qualifying run. The stopped car was clearly not on the road, but apparently they have gotten a lot stricter about what a yellow flag means. Apparently Rosberg didn't get the memo.

3. Vettel seems to always be complaining about being blocked in qualifying. This might be better than blaming Team Ferrari for completely losing the thread on this year's development.

4. Kimi signed a contract for next year......and now has gone back to being Kimi.

5. DR beat Verstappen in qualifying yet again. If Vertappen is really the next boy-wonder, he does need to start out-qualifying his less heralded teammate.

Vettel is the only one..? How about this:

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/574751/Marko_Lauda_dropping_by_on_our_Newey_is_by_chance/

FiA verified whether Rosberg lifted or not, but once Horner and Hamilton get something into their heads, there is no end to it. Read about DR's comment. How is that diffefrent from what Vettel was saying?

Seb can do no wrong though, don't forget that lol.

Nice recovery by Kimi in Hungary. Ferrari appears not entirely healthy car yet.(Traction?)

"Do you expect a penalty for Verstappen?" Arrivabene:"We informed Withing. It's clear he changed line 2 times but for the FIA it's all okay"

Mathematically WDC for Seb is now lost this year. Even if he would win every remaining race, and Hamilton always placed second, Seb would fall short by 6 points at the end.

14 hours ago, Sakae said:

Before this becomes one of those internet based "historical facts", are you really sure about it? 

There is an unusual amount of whining coming from Vettel. During the race broadcast here, Steve Matchett (former engineer to Bennetton and Schumacher) was noting that Vettel was complaining about the blue flags again. His comment was something like: "Does he have that [complaint} on a tape loop and just hits a button?"

I am not the only one seeing this.

6 minutes ago, Ruslan said:

There is an unusual amount of whining coming from Vettel. During the race broadcast here, Steve Matchett (former engineer to Bennetton and Schumacher) was noting that Vettel was complaining about the blue flags again. His comment was something like: "Does he have that [complaint} on a tape loop and just hits a button?"

I think it's a false rap. DR, Hamilton, Button, Alonso manged to bit??, yet no one says boo. To say that Vettel complains after each race is just plain rubbish. I know Matchett from early years, and he is the last guy I would listen. Just waste.

A few observations on the race:

1. If Hamilton gets through the first corner ahead of Rosberg.....it is over, although he did have one lurid slide towards the end.

2. Red Bulls have the legs over Ferrari.....with the Red Bull winning both fights.

3. DR is ahead of Verstappen in the race. Still don't know how Verstappen dropped so far back on the first pit stop.

4. We actually did have a race between the top six cars down to the end....although no one got passed.

5. Verstappen moved twice to block Kimi....although you can argue that one move was to set up for the corner (very early). It was certainly pushing the rules. If I was a steward, I would not have penalized him.

6. I thought it was good drives by the top six finishers. Did Kimi set the fastest lap again? How in the hell do you set the fastest lap (meaning you have the fastest car in a dry race) and only end up sixth? In fact, how in the hell do you set a career total of 43 fastest laps, yet only have 20 wins and 16 poles? This is a weird driver.

7. We shall see if there is anything different next week....but right now, it looks like Hamilton has the edge over Rosberg, Red Bull has the edge over Ferrari and will be second on the team standings by the end of the season. McLaren may have a run a William for the #4 slot on the standings. Williams seems lost.

Ferrari was in race trim a faster car than RB, but not fast enough to make difference on a track where overtaking comes as premium.

Well, Vettel claimed he was a tenth a of second faster a lap. That may have been the case, as both Ferrari's were closing on their respective target Red Bulls.  But......passing is part of racing. As it is Ferrari has 224 points, and Red Bull how has 223. So Ferrari could be relegated to the third place team next race. DR is currently third in the driver standings (115), followed by Kimi (114), Vettel (110), and Mad Max (100). This is the other big fight in F1.

6 hours ago, Ruslan said:

No your not but I don't bother saying anything negative about Vettel around here anymore as Iam always wrong and so is everyone else who sees the same thing. Vettel has done nothing but whine all year and has blamed everyone but himself. He never complained about blue flags when driving a redbull that was that much quicker and now he has more difficulty doing it he's a lot more vocal. Yeah drivers complain about back markets but Vettel has complained all year and is making it extremely hard to like him. When he drives well and fights it brings me closer towards him as a fan but as soon as he opens his mouth again, he's lost me, just like Hamilton in the sense he makes it so hard to like him if your not a fan of his. Don't shoot me down in a blaze of glory, it's just my opinion.

Vettel is a very nice and charming guy when things are going well. He gets kind of p**sy when they are not....that and steals wins from his teammates. I can't say that he is my favorite driver.

You worded that very well mate and I agree with that 100%

I've seen kimi hold up plenty of drivers, especially in qualifying and when asked about it his attitude is "I couldn't give a fvck" funny when the shoe is on the other foot so to speak.