Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ruslan

Germany - 2016

By the way, there is a race this weekend. Looks like after two practices, Rosberg is determined to turn his season around. Actually beat Hamilton in the first two free practices. Rosberg in his interviews appeared to be uptight and defensive, and actually flung an insult out at Hamilton. This is not the Rosberg from two years ago. Anyhow, suspect qualifying will be tense.

By the way, I dislike the new version of the track even more than the old version of the track.

Well, turns out they pulled Lewis from the second practice early so he would not exceed the turn one limits a third time, and get a penalty. Not sure I understand why the rule is in place during practice.

A few observations from qualifying:

1. This looked like one of these weekends when Rosberg was going to take it, and he did. Poles are now 6-5 between Hamilton and Rosberg.

2. DR again beat the boy wonder. I will have to take a cut at the stats, but I believe Kvyat did better in qualifying against DR than Verstappen has.

3. Kvyat is completely demoralized.

4. Raikonnen is now looking faster than Vettel. Has Vettel given up on the season?

5. Ferrari is clearly the #3 team now. Ain't going to suddenly get better now that Allison is gone.

6. Nice to see Williams back.

If raikkonen beats Vettel, the same excuses will be used like they were to give self satisfaction to Vettel fans in 2014. Because most Vettel fans don't want to admit the dominance of the redbull car when he won his titles as it was ALL him, but it doesn't work for 2014 when the car was built FOR Vettel and he still got owned. As for redbull, Ricciardo out qualifying verstappen again proves my point on the other thread to Sakae. Verstappens race pace comes from alternative strategies to make up the ground he lost to Ricciardo in qualifying and just so happens it's been the better strategy than what Ricciardo has had so far, Barcelona and Monaco should prove that,that and the fact his redbulls golden boy so that would also push the benifits towards him a tad more

On 29/7/2016 at 8:13 PM, Ruslan said:

By the way, I dislike the new version of the track even more than the old version of the track.

the old version of the track was interesting, driving flat out in the forest while on your own used to be really thrilling, you could ear your engine noise and not only the noise from the air intake, and then there were a couple of "take no prisoners" spots, IMHO it was the best track in Germany together with Norisring (and, obviously, the old Nurburgring, but I have never raced there so I can't say what it's really like when you're working the wheel)

3 minutes ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

the old version of the track was interesting, driving flat out in the forest while on your own used to be really thrilling, you could ear your engine noise and not only the noise from the air intake, and then there were a couple of "take no prisoners" spots, IMHO it was the best track in Germany together with Norisring (and, obviously, the old Nurburgring, but I have never raced there so I can't say what it's really like when you're working the wheel)

Well, never driven it (unlike a famous Roman general).....but I do remember Stephan Johansson hitting a deer at speed. Tore the car up (didn't do much good for the deer either).

6 hours ago, Ruslan said:

A few observations from qualifying:

1. This looked like one of these weekends when Rosberg was going to take it, and he did. Poles are now 6-5 between Hamilton and Rosberg.

2. DR again beat the boy wonder. I will have to take a cut at the stats, but I believe Kvyat did better in qualifying against DR than Verstappen has.

3. Kvyat is completely demoralized.

4. Raikonnen is now looking faster than Vettel. Has Vettel given up on the season?

5. Ferrari is clearly the #3 team now. Ain't going to suddenly get better now that Allison is gone.

6. Nice to see Williams back.

1 I'm surprised that Hamilton hasn't made mincemeat of Rosberg in qualy, good for Nico

2 the boy wonder seems to be someone who is willing to cut a few corners and who can keep his cool under pressure, it doesn't look like the kind of driver who can do wonders on a single lap. Kvyat has been seriously underrated, IMHO he did very well agaist DR

3 he needs to find a new team for next season, he'd be great for Williams

4 I think that the car has been designed with Raikkonen in mind and Raikkonen doesn't feel Marchionne's pressure, no one is asking him to win the WDC, so Kimi goes there and makes the most of the car whereas Vettel has this constant pressure from Marchionne and so they always try something wild to overcome their problems and in the end the suffer for such a silly approach

5 I hope for them that they have something big in store for next year because by the look of things McLaren could easily be the #3 team by the end of the season

6 they need a proper driver

4 minutes ago, Ruslan said:

Well, never driven it (unlike a famous Roman general).....but I do remember Stephan Johansson hitting a deer at speed. Tore the car up (didn't do much good for the deer either).

these things could happen, didn't Bruno Senna hit a dog a few years ago when he was in GP2?

5 hours ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

Yeah I liked the old circuit much better, you had to be super smooth and take the right line as any mistake was magnified by the massive straights.

Vettel and his blue flag fetish, that's all he can say this season.

Boring as F***. Utter waste of time watchin F1 now. Nico getting a 5sec penalty, Alonso not, stuff it I give up, F1 is so boring now I'm seriously pretty much done with this sport.

I hear ya mate there flat out for one lap and that's the start when jockeying for positions, other than that, it's just a drive to conserve. On a lighter note, good result for dan in his 100 race and verstappen continues to impress. Rosberg seems to think everyone is blind and is becoming a tad to era tic ATM.

A few observations from the race:

1. As always, if Hamilton clears the first corner in the lead....race over.

2. Great race from DR. Who is the fourth best driver in F1 (after Hamilton, Alonso, and Vettel)?

3. Vettel looked like he was asleep again.....and as usual complaining about traffic.

4. Great race from Button.

5. Nice to see Williams back in the points. Massa's race was pretty embarrassing. I think he is gone at the end of the season (and so is Palmer).

6. Did you hear DR's comments on Guittarrez?

7. Rosberg was lucky to only get a 5 second penalty. Probably should have been a stop-and-go. He is a repeat offender.

8. Liked Verstappen's pass on DR at the start. Kid does have great race craft and actually doesn't hit too many people too often.

9. Ferrari is doomed for the rest of 2016 and for 2017.

10. Kvyat stayed with Sainz during the race. He really does belong in F1. Suspect that will not be the case.

11. Perez, as always, was a presence. He really deserves a top team (will that be Renault?)

Kind of a boring race except for Rosberg's antics. He is becoming one of the dirtiest drivers in F1.

what a silly race, the track is one of the least interesting around, there was no real action, once again the marshalling let all down with the now usual double standards, I wonder why I soldiered on to watch the race to end... it must have been because I'm home alone and I had nothing else to do...

Hamilton - did he drive well? I really don't know, he had no opposition whatsoever, it's difficult to say whether he did ok or whether he was great

Ricciardo - his team mate let him through, otherwise I fear he would have been 3rd, maybe the summer break will return us a Ricciardo in better shape because of late he doesn't seem to be setting the world on fire

Verstappen - let's start from a positive note: he let Ricciardo through and showed that he can be a team player. Other than that he passed Ricciardo at the first corner on the outside, great, pity that he was off the while line and should have been penalised. He then brake tested Rosberg (who under normaly circumstances would have never been able to pull alongside him from such a distance and take the turn) and not happy with what he did he also moved on the inside when they were already under braking. Not bad for a day at the office, I see a trend here. And, obvioulsy, he got away with all that, and I didn't have any doubt that he would 

Rosberg - he had a very poor start, he was slow off the mark, then he suffered what looked like an issue with his car but he had already lost 1st to Hamilton, the glitch under acceleration meant that he lost 2nd and 3rd to the RBRs. He then didn't seem particularly impressive, I hear that he had issues with his rear tyres. He then had that dice with Verstappen... I fear that Max brake tested him, otherwise he would have never been able to take the turn. He didn't leave much room to Max, that's for sure, IMHO the mitigation was that Max had clearly closed onto him under braking. I personally believe that either the stewards punish them both or let them both walk away. After that Mercedes wasted 3 seconds at the pit stop (I couldn't believe my eyes... doesn't Toto own a stopwatch? :rolleyes:) and that cost Nico his 3rd place. All in all not a great day for him, he was unlucky and maybe was harshly dealt with by the stewards but the problem is that he didn't seem to have any pace

Vettel - he tried or so it seems, but it wasn't enough. I hope that they have already started working on the 2016 car because today the Ferraris were seriosly off the pace

Raikkonen - not much to say

18 hours ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

these things could happen, didn't Bruno Senna hit a dog a few years ago when he was in GP2?

The problem is that I don't think they could effectively patrol the longer track.

One last note: Will Buxton was interviewing Christian Horner Spice on the grid before the race, and Horner stated he did not know why the Red Bulls were doing so well at Germany.

2 minutes ago, Ruslan said:

5. Nice to see Williams back in the points. Massa's race was pretty embarrassing. I think he is gone at the end of the season (and so is Palmer).

7. Rosberg was lucky to only get a 5 second penalty. Probably should have been a stop-and-go. He is a repeat offender.

8. Liked Verstappen's pass on DR at the start. Kid does have great race craft and actually doesn't hit too many people too often.

9. Ferrari is doomed for the rest of 2016 and for 2017.

10. Kvyat stayed with Sainz during the race. He really does belong in F1. Suspect that will not be the case.

11. Perez, as always, was a presence. He really deserves a top team (will that be Renault?)

Massa's problem was that he had the rear end of his car damaged by Palmer on lap 1 and so it was undriveable. Talking of Palmer, taking for granted that he's not the next big thing, I find all this aggro against him a bit unfair, he doesn't really seem to be doing much worse than Magnussen, last week IMHO he was doing a much better job that his team mate

Rosberg is an offender only in this day and age, what he did is nothing to write home about, in the past he did much worse (and got away with it)

Yes it was a great pass, kind of helped that he was using a much faster route than DR ;)

I think that Sainz and Kvyat are both very good drivers and I really hope that they can move to a more competitive team soon, and I agree with what you say about Perez too

7 minutes ago, Ruslan said:

The problem is that I don't think they could effectively patrol the longer track.

my understand was that on the long straights they couldn't sell advertising boards as they would be hard to see on a TV screen

To say that I am disappointed with Ferrari performance today, that would be an understatement. Kimi (unconfirmed) had gearbox related delay in pits. Has Arriwabene went into hiding?

3 hours ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

Massa's problem was that he had the rear end of his car damaged by Palmer on lap 1 and so it was undriveable.

Yea, except they could not find anything. Maybe they will find something later, but the whole thing was odd. Still, he had been outqualified by his teammate and then got in an accident on the first lap, so not a good day by any stretch.

<<Talking of Palmer, taking for granted that he's not the next big thing, I find all this aggro against him a bit unfair, he doesn't really seem to be doing much worse than Magnussen, last week IMHO he was doing a much better job that his team mate>>

He has had a lot of bad races. On a good day (like last weekend), he does look decent, but there have not been a lot of those. Look at the qualifying comparisons between Magnussen and Palmer. Keep in mind, Magnussen is also struggling to hold onto his seat. After he replaced Perez at McLaren, he simply did not look to be the same caliber driver as Perez (although a nicer guy). Renault is the one team that may challenge the big four teams next year....so they are probably going to want to top-line drivers. There are lots of interesting options out there (Perez, Bottas, Kvyat, Wehlein, Nasr.....). I think I rate most of those drivers ahead of Magnussen.

<<Rosberg is an offender only in this day and age, what he did is nothing to write home about, in the past he did much worse (and got away with it)>>

Yea......if that was his first offense, it might have been overlooked....although I can't think of anyone else this season who has driven in a straight line all the way to the outside of the corner, and then turned. It was pretty blatant.

<<Yes it was a great pass, kind of helped that he was using a much faster route than DR ;)>>

Maybe they should have a track limit rule.  :)

10 minutes ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

my understand was that on the long straights they couldn't sell advertising boards as they would be hard to see on a TV screen

Wouldn't be surprised.

The new course doesn't do a thing for me. I think Germany needs a good F1 track. Does not seem to have one. Attendance has remained down.

8 minutes ago, Sakae said:

To say that I am disappointed with Ferrari performance today, that would be an understatement. Kimi (unconfirmed) had gearbox related delay in pits. Has Arriwabene went into hiding?

Ferrari is in crisis. They fired a lot of their crew at the end of 2014, fired their team manager(s) and brought it two guys from the road car manufacturing world. The car had some performance in 2015....but then slide into decline....so now they have fired some more people (and there are rumors that several people will be following Allison out the door). So.....now what? I think this team is going to struggle in 2017. This is the time they need to start thinking about designing their 2017 car and they have an engine guy heading their design team. I don't think the problem has been the engine.

In appears that the "suits" have taken over. I expect no immediate miracles.

3 hours ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

he probably did it so that you can say that he's such a bad sport ;)

Well that would be the first time he is t thinking of himself hey?