Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

radical-one

Next Generation Engines, What will it be?

Electric? I supposed not bec then Formual E will be it. 

Hybrid?

I hope it will be V4 Natural Aspirated ! 

Teams want immediate talks over next generation engine

First reaction from insiders suggests, there will be a lot of arguments about it, and bad blood.

Solution, from I read, must be (that's first brainstorming session):

- road cars relevant

- noisy

- must attract new entries

- cheap (yeah, right)

Are we going to have normally aspirated engines (V8) alongside V4 hybrids? Very difficult to accept this. V4 hybrids for all is most likely a future deal.

3 hours ago, Emmcee said:

Modernist naturally aspirated v10.

I wish so ! V10 with a fuel consumption of a motorbike would be great !

3 hours ago, Sakae said:

First reaction from insiders suggests, there will be a lot of arguments about it, and bad blood.

Solution, from I read, must be (that's first brainstorming session):

- road cars relevant

- noisy

- must attract new entries

- cheap (yeah, right)

Are we going to have normally aspirated engines (V8) alongside V4 hybrids? Very difficult to accept this. V4 hybrids for all is most likely a future deal.

Formula E can do all the above except noises 

Possibility is there that both series will converge at some point in the future, but for that future is too soon to happen now, or in 2020, methinks. 

Well, they are not going back (nor should they).....so the question is: what is the way forward?

Hybrids, is the answer. V4 that is.

Reliance on one energy source without backup nor having supporting infrastructure in place I would consider a weak strategy.

Electric/hydrogen - next generation of hybrids after depletion of oil reserves.

Air-powered.

You affix a humongous balloon to the top of the car.  When the lights go out, you let go and the car is propelled by the balloon deflating.  Whichever car goes the furthest wins.

This will be cheaper, which will open the door to many entrants.  It is sustainable.  It will shake up the sport forever.

It will appear to younger audiences, too, which F1 and all motor racing really struggles with.  Why?  Well, (1) the direct connection to what American school children do in their science classes that make them the worst developed nation at science in the world, (2) the fart noise of a releasing balloon, and (3) the races will be substantially shorter, catering to the reduce attention span of the millennial and post-millennial generations.

The cars would be slower, which would improve safety.  Safer racing is more profitable racing; corporate sponsors hesitate to get involved when racing is too dangerous.

Finally, for those wishing to see the driver put back into it, while the driver would ultimately be pretty irrelevant to the result, you would see some great moments of car control trying to keep a car powered by a deflating balloon on the track.

Or replace F1 with Formula E. That solves the problem altogether.

Regarding Noise, Watch DTM. GTs, LeMans and MotoGP. 

Least MotoGP you can actually see them on the limit with a twitching bike, don't see it in f1 anymore.

Conservation of tires was always an issue for drivers of any era. Difference between then and now, as I see it, is, decades ago when driver wanted to step on it, they could and tire collaborated, and if they wanted to do whole distance on one tire, they could too if their name was Prost. Now, tire slows down a car in most inconvenient moment, fuel limitations slow down the car below its speed potential, mandated tire changes of two types is new whether you want it or not, not to say that cost down measures forced equipment saving by running them at derated levels already on lap 2, etc. A lot has changed since I attended my first race ever many years ago.

Not entirely true, back then they weren't limited to the amount of tyres used like today. so they could drive flatout a lot longer and pit if they needed to and have the tyres available, only time conservation came in is if they needed another set of tyres but didn't have a big enough gap to stop again. Not from the first lap of a race just to make it home or be competitive, it's just brain dead.

I thought that's what I said, and if I didn't, than I should have that written more clearly.

My preference would be like our GT races. Same tires, one type of compound, unlimited sets. U buy and use how many U like.

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

I thought that's what I said, and if I didn't, than I should have that written more clearly.

It's not the jist I got from the posy but anyway I see your point. Prost was good but on sheer pace he didn't have it like senna nor in the wet like senna. He was top dog until ayrton came along. This became most evident in 1993, senna with a vastly in superior car to Prost notched up 3 wins not to mention one of the best drives I've seen, Donington 1993. Even Prost was made out looking pretty ordinary that day, I lost a lot of respect for Prost when he signed for Williams in 93 with a contract in place stating they can't hire senna, so Prost feared senna in the same car, he even vetoed against it and it was thrown out by the fia and prosts best buddy ballestre, so obviously Williams approached senna before Prost.

This thread was supposed to be about PU(s), but, since tires came up, I shall retreat with last comment, that for my taste, current tire specification and everything that flows of it is race disruptive, confusing, and generally unsatisfactory from this fan's point of view, since driver, for large measure,  has lost control over them. Button said not too long ago, that in his case there was nothing to manage. Tire was good in one moment, and next one in a flip it was over, and done. Tire was gone. None of slow degradation one would have expected.

So you can post something erelevant to the thread but no one else can? 

Sorry for misunderstanding. What I meant is, that I done with tires here, you - as you were, if that's what you want...

No, no, it just came across as you were trying to skip a senna vs Prost debate. But as usual I got the wrong impression.