Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ruslan

Haryanto

Wehrlein defends Haryanto after ousting
2016-08-29

Aug.29 (GMM) Pascal Wehrlein has defended his ousted Manor teammate Rio Haryanto.

Throughout the Indonesian's half season with the backmarker team, many branded Haryanto a mere 'pay driver' and said his replacement Esteban Ocon was a clear step forward for Manor's 2016 lineup.

Referring to qualifying at Spa - Ocon's first race - German Wehrlein is quoted by Tuttosport: "Esteban is a great talent and it was nice to be half a second ahead of him.

"Maybe now you will understand that Rio was actually a good driver who was doing a good job. I am convinced that if he had driven here in qualifying he would have been in Q2," he added.

"I think he was very underrated and so I'm a bit sad because he was a good friend who did a great job," said Wehrlein.

My comment: Good for Wehrlein....very decent thing to put out there. I would like to see Haryanto gets a second shot at F1. I think he earned it.

Haryanto did do better than people admitted.  It's unfortunate, but anyone coming in with a lot of money will automatically be written off.  Yet there's really no difference between a driver who has money because of nationality, because of family, or because some corporate benefactor created the program.  In all cases, the driver bought his/her way up the ladder, and in all cases, there was some decision-maker with the money balancing both off-track and on-track factors.  People act, for example, like someone whose fare was paid by Red Bull is somehow there on "merit," whereas someone whose fare was paid by nationalized oil was not.  Yet Red Bull's program considers all kinds of marketability things—personality, image, appearance, and, yes, even nationality (I've mentioned this here before how the drivers in Red Bull's program all seem to come from the same nations, and, in fact, Red Bull publicly searched for both U.S. and French drivers for various reasons).  So, "merit" is pretty distorted, if "merit" is all about ability.  Truly, everyone's a pay driver until they get paid to race, and the source of the funding shouldn't cloud our judgment of that driver's ability.

I'd be perfectly fine with Haryanto returning to the grid somewhere.

Harry wasn't fast enough but in saying that he was certainly faster than I had expected.

1 hour ago, Massa said:

Yet there's really no difference between a driver who has money because of nationality, because of family, or because some corporate benefactor created the program.

Lauda bought his first F1 ride.

13 hours ago, Ruslan said:

He appeared to be almost as fast as Wehrlein.

He did at times but not enough I think. I honestly thought he would be behind werhlein the whole time but there was glimpses of speed he had that beat werhlein but it was that often. So did I under estimate him? Yeah I did but he still wasn't fast enough IMO.

Really, hard to get a firm feel for a driver who has only had a half season with a Manor. But he clearly had some potential.

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 5:12 PM, Emmcee said:

Yeah I agree but that's today's f1 isn't it?

And I would argue that it should not be that way. I can still wish that the world was more pure and perfect than it is.

I totally agree that f1 shouldn't be that way but you have Bernie to blame for that, squeezing teams so much they need to hire pay drivers. I know pay drivers have always been around but there were many more teams as well. Now with the limited teams, this style is creeping further up the grid.

Yep, I do blame Max Mosley and Ecclestone for a creating a series of only 10-11 teams, with half of them on life support. It is a sad testament to their contribution to the sport.

Not only that, it totally defeats the purpose of why these individuals came into the sport in the first place. Funny to realise Bernie had he own team once and purely was interested and had a passion to keep them alive. 

I used to be a big Bernie supporter. Was completely behind the FOCA revolt against FISA in the early 80s and loved the Brabham team, Gordan Murray and Nelson Piquet. Over time I soured on Bernie. Probably the biggest indication of where his head was at was the decline of the Brabham team and his selling it off. What a real shame. Why would anyone want to just do business if the alternative was to run your own F1 team?

That's why I think anyone who wants power or a position like Bernie should have to own a team, then you will know that the sport will get better as they want there team to succeed.