Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ruslan

Schumacher

I have no problem with people who do wish to keep their private life, well, private. Vettel is the same. Besides, assertion that Schumacher cannot walk is an incomplete information and one should be careful with inferential conclusions. Claim does not states degree of impairment. Cannot walk "as before," cannot walk at all, or just slowly under strain, cannot walk without help, can he walk just short distances, etc. At the end, it's definitely none of our business, whether we like it, or not. Nothing to see here, move on - there is a thread opened by Massa with Hamilton at the heading, which holds far more potential for fun, than this thing.

There are always to sides for these coins:

1) Yes, private life is, by definition, private. So the Schumachers are fully entitled to keep it that way, should they wish so, and if I was a judge I would enforce such right above everything else.

2) On the other hand, Schumi's career, the resources obtained by such career and the resulting private life he got from that came from being a public sports figure. Not merely racing, but fame were his trading goods. He lived and thrived from being exposed. Yes, he tried to keep his privare life as private as possible, which is commendable, but not always possible. You are a sports hero, you are loved by millions, you want it...and those millions want more. Do they have the right? Probably not, but it doesn't matter. It's at least too optimistic to think that you really can decide when to be a public figure and when you can merely close the door and leave the world behind. 

Do the public have any rights? Nope. Will the public still demand to know about Schumi? Yes. 

I understand the family's position, not wanting to expose the private Shumi they know. But the public wants to know about the public Schumi they knew and love, and I think a wise strategy (from their lawyers, from Sabine Kehm or whoever coudl do that) would have been to acknowledge that millions wanted to know (and most of them because the genuinely cared), so telling "something" is better than going around saying "everything they say is made up". 

It's sad how he literally "vanished", haven't heard or seen a thing about him that we can hold any creditablity to. Funny that prior to this that he said he just wanted to "vanish" with his family and leave this lifestyle. Lol Tupac Shakur style type premeditation.

Just weird how no photos have been leaked and the whole situation is being treated like he's of like "Michael Jackson" type stature. He's not know world wide like a famous actor or musician. You know what I mean? Just weird.

Media, unfortunately mostly British, have done a real job on him, and that, more than once. Tone was often almost hysterical, of psychopathic proportions. They could not understand, nor wanted to accept, that someone else other than Briton could have achieved that much. Michael was avoiding a lot of lights and lenses, as reporters were trying to upset him before the race, and after race again. Todt did call them cretins once in an incident in Monaco. It got much worse after he has returned to Mercedes, and it stayed with him. He is today obviously unable to respond those never-ending barrages on him, and his wife has to protect family, and really doesn't care for it much either, so old professional and a friend of the family, Sabine Kehm is empowered to create the wall. Enough is enough, and I agree. Friends however are welcome there. Both Jean Todt and Ross Brawn can come anytime they want, but both are discrete, respecting privacy, as it should be.

Lol it's all the brits' fault!

Seriously though my own opinion is that, sadly, the fact they never share even a glimmer of information is surely because it must be that bad that they don't want his fans to see it.  You gotta imagine that if he was on the mend, or improving, there'd be news of it.

My reference to Schumacher vs. media (mostly British) is relevant to present time, since it explains his (and his family) disdain for that crowd, and preference for utmost privacy to be shielded from lies, baseless attacks, and hateful language. Sadly, even that does not prevents some to pour salt on the situation. 

I can't stand people who hated him before but now act like there his biggest fan.

Lol that's kind of me........but I was a Damon Hill fan so naturally hated Schumacher! And with the passing of time I've gradually gotten over the dirty tactics he used to employ - plus with his accident it kinds of all puts it in perspective as to what's important. I didn't like him but would love to hear that he was recovering.

I was a huge schumi fan but at the same time I liked hill, how can you not? He always seemed honest and always spoke with respect IMO. But hill was no where near Schumacher driving wise though, especially in the Benetton, early Ferrari days prime schumi, not even close. Then again who was?

Yea admittedly Hill never had the pure talent of Schumacher, it was purely a case of me being about 15 years old and supporting the Englishman against the dirty german!

Which reminds me, Hill's autobiography is out now isn't it? Defo gona snap that up.

What this move implies...

Is it too much to think that Michael is in better condition than we thought? Is it a winter house or new permanent residency? Plenty questions, not too many answers, but I can understand and have respect for what his wife has decided.

I wish to Mick all the success he deserves for his efforts. Sebastian's brother Fabian has chosen similar life-path. Problem is, after F2, then what? There are no new entrants in waiting and F1 is not expanding in membership. Quite opposite. RBR is threatening to leave, and they might not be alone. Mick will not want drive for any team of lesser standing than Force India. Problem is, its him and another bunch of hopefuls.

Earliest would be 2020 right?

Then if Merc , he can replace Bottas

If RBR or Ferrari it will depend on who is replaceable in 2020

10 hours ago, radical-one said:

Earliest would be 2020 right?

Then if Merc , he can replace Bottas

If RBR or Ferrari it will depend on who is replaceable in 2020

Later headlines suggest that young Schumi decided to drive next season in F2 (some link to Jean Todt). I do not follow regularly his progress, but he might not be the exact copy of his father genes. He needs to make his mark; name alone is not enough.

We should not forget Ferrari has no habits appointing fresh entrants. Mick needs a year with midfield. Second thing, I am not convinced that new management (residing in New York) feels any affinity to Schumacher family. They are money oriented.

Optics do however suggest that Jean Todt is Mick's mentor, and that doesn't hurts. We will see how Mick will perform in F2. Where he is now his equipment is not the very best one, but the one in F2 is supposed to have potential. I don't however follow lower series all that closely.