Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

radical-one

Why Merc would prefer Nico than Lewis for 2016 Title?

Why Merc would prefer Nico than Lewis for 2016 Title?

## Why Nico ?

- It's time to have a German Driver Champion for Mercedes 

- Would give Nico a better boost of confidence for coming seasons. Another miss for the title would destroy him forever

- Nico needs one trophy now. Next year maybe too late as RB and Ferrari is closing the gap

- Nico looks more matured (less winning and noisy complains) than Lewis at the moment and Merc may want to reward him

- Mercedes would like the honor of giving Nico's his first title, A German F1 team for a German driver , why not? 

- Better overall balance of Mercedes driver's credibility (2 Champion drivers  in one team) 

## Why NOT Lewis ?

- If he wins another title, his head will become even larger. 

- May not stop over-partying as he can prove that even if he partied out he can still be a champion

- He may stop / lessen his partying (which is affecting Merc's reputation for having a bad boy / rapper driver). Too much media critisicm these days. 

- Another title from a Brit driver wouldn't be too good for it's German Marque 

- Would lessen his succeeding salary/package negotiations. Merc would rather not pay more than what Lewis making today. He can already afford his jet lifestyle now. That's more than enough.

Above are just what's on top of my head, perhaps there are more/other reasons but in general, what I'm trying to point out is, if Merc will have to choose between the two in a final race, they would go for Nico. At least for this season.

What do you think guys, Am I too unreasonable or will you agree to some of may points ?

On the other hand, and believe me, there is one, if Hamilton doesn't gets it, Toto and Lauda together with whole mother ship will be really for rough ride. It would make nice reading over long winter.  :lol:

it's funny because to me it looks so obvious that at Mercedes they would be very happy if it was Hamilton who won the WDC, IMHO it wouldn't make much sense for them if the WDC went to Rosberg: Hamilton has a much bigger pulling power than Rosberg, he is a very marketable asset whereas Rosberg less so (who identifies with the son of a millionaire who grew up in Monaco?) and especially they are paying $$$ for Hamilton, if he doesn't win from a pure economic point of view Toto has made a wrong investment

When, if ever, Hamilton drove Mercedes outside of work? In US, Caribbean, Monte Carlo, etc. - always in some other make vehicle. So much for him holding the Mercedes flag high. I am yet to see a one credible study which would document, that he has pulled-in at least one customer, never mind masses. Maybe such survey exists, but then it has escaped me. What I am getting is, that people who do want to buy Mercedes, they will do so, regardless who won a race. What Hamilton and Rosberg are actually both accomplishing for Mercedes is ensuring, that world wide camera lenses have The Star in focus, because the brand representation on the podium = brand recognition platform. Winner's name is not that important. Top of the podium however is best for getting exposure to a name of the automobile company. 

11 hours ago, Sakae said:

On the other hand, and believe me, there is one, if Hamilton doesn't gets it, Toto and Lauda together with whole mother ship will be really for rough ride. It would make nice reading over long winter.  :lol:

Toto and Lauda can actually leave Merc then for all I care :D

8 hours ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

it's funny because to me it looks so obvious that at Mercedes they would be very happy if it was Hamilton who won the WDC, IMHO it wouldn't make much sense for them if the WDC went to Rosberg: Hamilton has a much bigger pulling power than Rosberg, he is a very marketable asset whereas Rosberg less so (who identifies with the son of a millionaire who grew up in Monaco?) and especially they are paying $$$ for Hamilton, if he doesn't win from a pure economic point of view Toto has made a wrong investment

Fair enough,

7 hours ago, Sakae said:

When, if ever, Hamilton drove Mercedes outside of work? In US, Caribbean, Monte Carlo, etc. - always in some other make vehicle. So much for him holding the Mercedes flag high. I am yet to see a one credible study which would document, that he has pulled-in at least one customer, never mind masses. Maybe such survey exists, but then it has escaped me. What I am getting is, that people who do want to buy Mercedes, they will do so, regardless who won a race. What Hamilton and Rosberg are actually both accomplishing for Mercedes is ensuring, that world wide camera lenses have The Star in focus, because the brand representation on the podium = brand recognition platform. Winner's name is not that important. Top of the podium however is best for getting exposure to a name of the automobile company. 

I can agree but don't you think it would be better having 2 champions under Merc's flag if you talk about brand recognition?

Wouldn't it be the best if f1 simply focusses on f1 instead of building cars to suit for road car advantages later on? Having all these restrictions in place and hybrid engines for a "greener f1" is just stupid. Totally irrelevant to what there in the sport for in the first place.

2 hours ago, radical-one said:

I can agree but don't you think it would be better having 2 champions under Merc's flag if you talk about brand recognition?

In present day, MORE is supposed to be always better. Occasionally I wonder whether that is necessarily true. Those who want to talk about Rosberg, will talk about him, champ, or not. Mercedes needs WCC points, that's all, but two champs taking each other out in the first corner is actually not practical way how to collect WCC trophy.

Yeah but aren't they taking each other out already ? There's not much difference within the drivers' behaviuor (infact Nico may become more cool if ha has a trophy under his belt - now he's more hungry) but it would make more sense for Merc to have both their drivers as champions rather than one has 4 trophies and the other has none. Particularly Nico is German.

I am not bothered by hybrid technology. Change of some restrictiveness might however change the racing picture overnight, and this hybrid or no hybrid would not even come up in the discussions on the roof tops. List is long, but to name a few, fuel limits should go, tires less finicky, relax in-season development, test more on real tracks in lieu of play stations, cancel parc ferme, allow for T-car, and a few little things like that, so drivers can step on the pedal, and stay there for 2 hrs.

56 minutes ago, radical-one said:

Yeah but aren't they taking each other out already ? There's not much difference within the drivers' behaviuor (infact Nico may become more cool if ha has a trophy under his belt - now he's more hungry) but it would make more sense for Merc to have both their drivers as champions rather than one has 4 trophies and the other has none. Particularly Nico is German.

Nico winning this year would be great for his confidence, and good for Mercedes trophy collection. 

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

Nico winning this year would be great for his confidence, and good for Mercedes trophy collection. 

Like^_^ 

Plus Lewis losing the trophy a Bonus ! :P 

That's why Schumacher was adamant he had a teammate slower than him. Last thing he wants to worry about when fighting for a win is where his teammate is. Schumacher with Herbert,Irvine,barrichello,massa and even rosberg, never touched on circuit and they were together for years yet drivers today who are successful in a team create these conflicts and situations that cause on track drama aswell as of track. I put that down to the excess media and expectation of a driver nowadays.

Well according to most on here, every team has two cars EXACTLY the same. Not one ahead on updates before the other or nothing. 

I beg to differ on the notion that cars are "Exactly" the same. At best, they look similar, and are intended to be prepared as equal, but for technical reasons, cars are de facto slightly different, yet enough different to provide driver with different feedback. This has been on the forum reasoned before, but also dutifully ignored, thus I am not going to unpack it all again.

As quick summary, both cars in the same team can contain parts of the same design level, but no matter. To name a few contributors to that situation, cumulative effect of manufacturing tolerances, assembly variability induced by mechanics, variability in stiffness of structural members, ballast location and its amount as driver's weight compensation, setup variances on demand due to driver's personal preferences, tire characteristics as complement to such setup, and much more. All of that may act either as support of, or be detrimental to individual driver's racing style. Then comes design that affects individual drivers...

Intend to make them "the same" might exists, but in reality car as a system is subtly different on the Starting line, and even more so on the Finish line as body structure "settles-in", fuel weight decreases, and tire characteristics progressively change with accumulated distance traveled. It effects some driver's more then others, yet we judge them equally how they cope with it. Just recall at one point it was so bad with Hamilton, that based on his "feedback", management switched crew in the garage, and moved Rosberg's mechanics to his side of the garage, yet in theory, both cars were presumed to be exactly the same. 

The other thing to is that each driver has there own crew of mechanics and even though on the same team, there first goal is to beat the mechanics on the other side of the shed before anyone else. Look at redbull for example when webber was there. He was so much taller and heavier than Seb, they have to find other places to loose that added weight in the car and it can sometimes do more harm than good. Several balance issues due to ballast location was webbers main issue as trying to loose weight in the car and locating ballast due to his larger body size than Seb prooved a massive issue in the early days.

True. I even get the impression sometimes that team mates and team crew are just competing at each other and care less about the team. 

Something like if you beat your team mate, you keep your job....

No I've said this for ages yet it always falls on deaf ears, makes me think it's because it will show a weakness in who they support.