Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

2016 Kuala Lumpur

Sarcasm aside, new PU explains differential positions of both teammates. Win for Honda is coming, sure, but not now.

They are not that far apart, Button encountered traffic in what could have been his fastest lap. Also, upgrades are mostly about some lightweight components and such, not so much on performance so the gains aren't that great anyways. 

In any case both drivers are performing quite great and I wasn't comparing Alonso with Button, so the defensive tone surprised me. I am just glad to see them both closer to the top places.

Also, McLaren usually tries upgrades in one car first. In this case, both will use the old engine (without upgrades) for the race, so other than testing some changes sooner and a 30 place penalty, there will be no real benefits for Alonso for this race. JB has a real shot for a Q3 place, whereas Alonso will start dead last even if his qualy is outstanding, so you could say that JB is the one receiving "preferential treatment". 

Personally, I doubt any of them is receiving any sort of preference, none of them seem too unhappy, all things considered. And both performed quite great this year, with the means at their disposal. 

SH16 is running better under hot conditions, said Vettel. I wonder why's that? Perhaps better grip on the tire patch?

Bottas has driven really well and driven above expectation in some events this season. Cleaning up massa and because Williams have fallen back somewhat in performance, it's harder to see these types of drives but IMO bottas has just got better.

Ferrari is either running some tire-based weird race strategy, or upgrades have not pan out as expected (again).

Is it just me or does anyone notice Lewis has all the patience in the world to listen to any question from a reporter if he does well. Does bad and the reporter is lucky to even finish the question before Lewis interupts and begins to answer the question bluntly.

I've missed the race, thus I haven't seen incident on the first lap, but Sebastian seems to have all his detractors out in full force. Must have been a bad one. I have seen only one static picture, but from that one I was not able to determine what kind of crime Vettel committed, that FiA needs to get involved. Our genius, new Senna, MV, might be slightly over the line with his comments, as I read it, but whatever. I do not know full story right now.

FiA penalized Vettel. Verstappen can do it, Hamilton can do it, Kvyat can do it, but not the German guy. From what little I saw until now, it seems that Verstappen hit Ferrari at the rear-left.  Can anyone speak about consistency in FiA' decision making process? 3 places grid penalty in Japan, a lot of bad language on the internet, and then Arrivabene probably gave him his piece of mind. I am worry whether all of this pressure will result in more timid person, because racing spirit was tramped upon so badly. As it is tradition with this man, Arrivabene refused to comment on FiA's decision, but it was obvious that he was upset over it.

5 hours ago, Sakae said:

Is he accusing Mercedes from sabotage?

I think they will have to respond. This is no good, is it?

it's funny because I think that hadn't Hamilton suffered his engine failure (and I feel for him because I think that he deserved to win the race) I don't think that Rosberg would have been given a 10 sec penalty for overtaking Raikkonen. Hamilton suffered a lot of bad luck this season, there's no denying that, on the other hand Rosberg was punished 3 times for reasons that I frankly struggle to understand.

All in all I'd say that there's plenty of people who don't want Nico to win

30 minutes ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

iAll in all I'd say that there's plenty of people who don't want Nico to win

Agree. But isn't this similar to punishments for Vettel? There is a lot of people who cannot get over Schumacher's WDCs, nor Vettel's 4 of those, and that will never end. Statements like Vettel had it easy, but Hamilton has to work hard for his titles leaves one with open mouth.

17 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Agree. But isn't this similar to punishments for Vettel? There is a lot of people who cannot get over Schumacher's WDCs, nor Vettel's 4 of those, and that will never end. Statements like Vettel had it easy, but Hamilton has to work hard for his titles leaves one with open mouth.

Vettel's punishment doesn't look very convincing to me, even if in the interview on RAI TV he more or less admitted that the accident with Rosberg was his fault (it obviously was), whereas I don't really see how the stewards could claim that it was Rosberg's fault if - by mistake - Raikkonen's front wing touched the back of Rosberg's front right tyre, Rosberg was ahead, I personally don't remember any other driver being punished for something like that, IMHO it was a great move by Rosberg, a bit harsh maybe but nothing particularly worrying, and Kimi had seen him and kept a wider line so I really struggle to understand why the stewards punished Rosberg. Re Vettel, I personally feel that 3 grid places and 2 points on his licence is beyond belief when you consider that other drivers in similar circumstances walked away scott free with much worse behaviour. I'd say that Vettel is not currently a favourite of the FIA, whereas Rosberg seems to me to be the FIA's #1 enemy, they keep on punishing him for reasons that are at the very best trivial if not downright ludicrous

Has anyone noticed that Verstappen - oh dead Max once again :rolleyes: - overtook before the end of the VSC period? he wasn't even under investigation for that. These days there's one set of rules for Max and one for most of the others. 

It was an eventful race, I enjoed it (from the comfort of my home, I might have enjoyed it less from the cocpit of one of those cars). What stands out, IMHO, is how little credible F1 has become these days, some of the decisions of the stewards IMHO were wrong and just showed that they have their own agenda (and it's not what Hamilton claims to be... quite the contrary)

Hamilton - he drove well, he did a great second stint, I was wondering why they didn't call him in for a pit stop once he had gained over 22 seconds on Ricciardo, maybe they knew that his temperatures were too high and pitting him would have compromised his race (that was compromised anyway...). I feel that he deserved to win. Bad luck for him. Having said that when he claims that the powers that be fon't want him to become WDC he should remember that Rosberg was punted at the first corner for no fault of his own, had to rejin the race from dead last and, if that wasn't enough, he was given a 10 seconds penalty for the only reason that he overtook another car, so in my book that's pretty even in terms of bad luck for the Mercedes duo

Ricciardo - :congrats: what an attitude, what a racecraft, despite a less than impressive strategy (compared to Max, and this time it probably wasn't the pit wall's fault but he just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time when the first VSC was deployed), despite having to defend - in a track with 2 very long straights and DRS - from his team mate who had much fresher tyres, he managed to defend his position in absolute style. Max should thank him for such a lesson, if Max had some sense he should look very carefully at how Ricciardo behaves on and off track, he's got a lot to learn. Pity that in the end it looked as if RBR gave their drivers the order to stay put, IMHO Max wouldn't have been able to pass Ricciardo, it could have been another great lesson in humility for Max

Verstappen - the guy is obviously a great driver, no doubt about that, but is he really exceptional? I personally don't think so. This year he has been rattled by his team mate, last year he was on a par with his then team mate (IMHO another great driver), he is spoken of as a very aggresive driving (in a positive sense) but so far he only managed to be aggressive when defending, never when attacking, and IMHO that should be translated into "dirty", not aggressive. Today he was beaten by his team mate fair and square. He should try and turn on his brain when he opens his mouth because this constant stream of claptrap is becoming a burden for him

Rosberg - great drive for him, I think that he pulled a stunning move on Kimi, pity Derek Warwick and co thought otherwise. Toto and Niki didn't seem very happy that he gained a further advantage in the standings over Hamilton

Raikkonen - IMHO he did well, especially when he was trying to stay within 10 secs of Rosberg, he was really committed, pity his car was not on a par with his closest opponents

Perez - I wonder what he could achive with a car that was willing to turn into corners a bit more easily, that Force India changes direction like an elephant. But Checo is always there in the points. What a waste of talent

Alonso - :worshippy: my driver of the day, stunning, and how refreshing to ear a driver who speaks his mind and doesn't complain all the time about his fellow competitors

Hulkenberg - very good drive for him pity his team mate is Sergio Perez

Button - in the first stages of the race his experience helped him shine, pity that his team mate was having such an inspired drive today

Palmer - this guy puzzles me: is he any good? is he really such a bad driver as some seem to be suggesting? I don't know, he seems to have learned how to drive that car, maybe if he had a better driver as team mate it would be easier to understand if Palmer is any good. Having said that I think that he'd make a great long distance racer

RBR - I know that they wanted to finish 1-2 and didn't want to risk any accident, but the last stint was a bit sad, at least at Mercedes they let their drivers race each other (well, sometimes they do)

I must have a bad day, but I still do not understand what Vettel has done differently than Kvyat, Verstappen, Hamilton, or some others on occasion, yet he is the only one who is getting thick side of the stick for it. Substantively I think move on the inside is risky, and I do not like to see it, but it was done by others, and FiA was silent, until today, of course. 

15 minutes ago, Sakae said:

I must have a bad day, but I still do not understand what Vettel has done differently than Kvyat, Verstappen, Hamilton, or some others on occasion, yet he is the only one who is getting thick side of the stick for it. Substantively I think move on the inside is risky, and I do not like to see it, but it was done by others, and FiA was silent, until today, of course. 

He punted Rosberg off, he obviously missed his braking point. Having said that I would argue that this is something that could happen at the first corner and deem it a racing incident without the need to punish anyone. But if someone made a mistake that was Vettel, and kudos to him for admitting it. You perfectly know that consistency is a bit of an issue (besides I think that Kvyat had no n fault for what happened at Sochi)

how underrated is Ricciardo? Proved how good he is today.

Getting sick and tired of first corner incidents now. Watching the start in real time it looked to me as though Max was at it again. But apparently he never touched Vettel. Not sure why Vettel and Nico get penalized, but Hamilton, Max and Kvyat get away scott free, and then flip the situation and blame the driver they have hit! Brilliant strategy it's clearly working. Blame the victims. He walked into my fist officer! Honest.

Seeing drivers getting punted out on the first lap is just killing an already boring sport. Sadly it's often the Ferrari's now days who get wrecked.

As for the race, boo hoo to Hamilton. Let the conspiracy theories rain down. Oh and little miss Lewis is already demanding answers. Toto should be dropping his pants and bending over any minute now with another love poem to Dear Leader. You can't compare the engines Force India and Williams have, because Merc doesn't give them the best of the batch. No engine maker gives customer teams better engines over their own factory teams. In this case clearly that's a good thing for the other Merc teams, because their units are realiable. It's clearly not worth the extra 1-2% the dyno says Hamiltons engines will give him, because they are failing. Thus the question isn't why does his engine keep breaking, the question should be, why are they giving him the "best" engines, and not evenly to Nico as well.

I think what I am finding so distasteful about F1 is that there is no fairness anymore. Merc are allowed to win forever because of the rules. Heck they've exploited everything they can. Illegal tyre tests, active but not active suspension, racking up multiple spare engines etc. I get it, all teams try to find the grey line, but Merc are not following any sort of moral or sporting integrity. It utterly stinks. And as a fan further pushes me away to watch another sport.

Well done to Red Bull. And well done to Ricci. Good to see he didn't yield to Max. And didn't Max show some finense in not hitting Ricci. That was interesting. So he can drive sensibly, but only when competing against his team mate. Had that been Vettel or Kimi in first place, he would not have backed off one bit and would I have no doubt touched or smashed his way past them. Why couldn't he have been doing that all along one wonders. His comment about Vettel was unaccceptable. I am already loathing this guy now. I don't care how fast he is. I'll support a quick Nick over a deadsh*t any day of the week. And that ladies and gentlemen is why Kimi has so many fans. He's not only a cool dude, but he's a fair and honest guy.

Yea, that race was lively. Read Scipio's post for a good evaluation of the race, I really don't have much to add.

Concerning Vettel: It is been a while since I have seen a car come from fourth and knock the second place car out. That was just weird. It was sort of as bad as what Kvyat and Verstappen have done at times....except they hit the car they were racing....not the car in front of the car they were racing !!!  Anyhow, I hope Vettel is as critical of himself as he was of Kvyat. It would only be fair.

Concerning Hamilton: Conspiracy theories? Really? Actually, he has been pretty calm and relaxed in interviews all year. A new Hamilton? Not quite yet.

Concerning Verstappen: An extended fight with DR and no contact. Dutifully followed him home in second and seemed genuinely happy at the podium ceremony. I also don't think he is the next Senna, but hopefully he is starting to mature a little. He still had some harsh comments about Vettel (which were entirely earned)....but these really aren't the comments one should make in the heat of the moment.

DR: Great race. This guy continues to surprise me. He seems to have an amazing ability to rise to the occasion whatever that occasion is. One of the more entertaining podium ceremonies.

Alonso: Looked good as usual, but I would give the drive of the race to DR.

1 hour ago, KoolMonkey said:

Getting sick and tired of first corner incidents now. Watching the start in real time it looked to me as though Max was at it again. But apparently he never touched Vettel. Not sure why Vettel and Nico get penalized, but Hamilton, Max and Kvyat get away scott free, and then flip the situation and blame the driver they have hit! Brilliant strategy it's clearly working. Blame the victims. He walked into my fist officer! Honest.

Seeing drivers getting punted out on the first lap is just killing an already boring sport. Sadly it's often the Ferrari's now days who get wrecked.

As for the race, boo hoo to Hamilton. Let the conspiracy theories rain down. Oh and little miss Lewis is already demanding answers. Toto should be dropping his pants and bending over any minute now with another love poem to Dear Leader. You can't compare the engines Force India and Williams have, because Merc doesn't give them the best of the batch. No engine maker gives customer teams better engines over their own factory teams. In this case clearly that's a good thing for the other Merc teams, because their units are realiable. It's clearly not worth the extra 1-2% the dyno says Hamiltons engines will give him, because they are failing. Thus the question isn't why does his engine keep breaking, the question should be, why are they giving him the "best" engines, and not evenly to Nico as well.

I think what I am finding so distasteful about F1 is that there is no fairness anymore. Merc are allowed to win forever because of the rules. Heck they've exploited everything they can. Illegal tyre tests, active but not active suspension, racking up multiple spare engines etc. I get it, all teams try to find the grey line, but Merc are not following any sort of moral or sporting integrity. It utterly stinks. And as a fan further pushes me away to watch another sport.

Well done to Red Bull. And well done to Ricci. Good to see he didn't yield to Max. And didn't Max show some finense in not hitting Ricci. That was interesting. So he can drive sensibly, but only when competing against his team mate. Had that been Vettel or Kimi in first place, he would not have backed off one bit and would I have no doubt touched or smashed his way past them. Why couldn't he have been doing that all along one wonders. His comment about Vettel was unaccceptable. I am already loathing this guy now. I don't care how fast he is. I'll support a quick Nick over a deadsh*t any day of the week. And that ladies and gentlemen is why Kimi has so many fans. He's not only a cool dude, but he's a fair and honest guy.

Your probably right monkey, he actually thought about it for once and backed of and gave space when he needed to and put up a decent and clean fight for dan. Hopefully max learns from this and sees you can fight fast and fairly if you just use your brain. But in saying that, I agree he would've pushed it a lot more against another car and could've quite possibly caused impact.

For that kind of driving, if your name is Vettel, you get 3 grid places penalty, and must hear and read a lot of verbal and written foul language.

I must be living on another planet, but obviously I am the only one who doesn't see how this is different to some previous accidents this year, and none of the drivers on the inside was blamed for it. Has Vettel really touched Rosberg, or vice-versa? There is a racing theorem forming, namely, if there is an incident on the track, and Vettel is even remotely nearby, it is automatically his fault, and needs to receive penalty. 

Vettel had an excellent start, saw the gap, went for it, and became a bad boy. That's today racing.

24 minutes ago, Sakae said:

For that kind of driving, if your name is Vettel, you get 3 grid places penalty, and must hear and read a lot of verbal and written foul language.

I must be living on another planet, but obviously I am the only one who doesn't see how this is different to some previous accidents this year, and none of the drivers on the inside was blamed for it. Has Vettel really touched Rosberg, or vice-versa? There is a racing theorem forming, namely, if there is an incident on the track, and Vettel is even remotely nearby, it is automatically his fault, and needs to receive penalty. 

thanks for the video, IMHO that just proves 2 things: 1) if someone was to blame it was Vettel, but 2) IMHO in itself it's s very minor offence (Vettel was dicing with, and passing, another car at the start of the race and it can happen that you go half a metre long under braking, this is racing after all, I wonder how many times that happened to Derek Warwick and if he was punished for that) and he shouldn't be penalised.

It would be interesting to see the onboard from Max's car, since Vettel was slightly ahead we cannot see if Max bumbped into Vettel under braking or not. If that was the case then the whole story would get a totally different spin. Also it looks to me as if Max is waving a bit (but that's nothing compared to what he did in the past)

38 minutes ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

thanks for the video, IMHO that just proves 2 things: 1) if someone was to blame it was Vettel, but 2) IMHO in itself it's s very minor offence (Vettel was dicing with, and passing, another car at the start of the race and it can happen that you go half a metre long under braking, this is racing after all, I wonder how many times that happened to Derek Warwick and if he was punished for that) and he shouldn't be penalised.

It would be interesting to see the onboard from Max's car, since Vettel was slightly ahead we cannot see if Max bumbped into Vettel under braking or not. If that was the case then the whole story would get a totally different spin. Also it looks to me as if Max is waving a bit (but that's nothing compared to what he did in the past)

Max got little scare, and he vented...

Why has no one asked Rosberg why he did not leave more space for the approaching vehicle?  

V5u3NlP.gif