Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

New age of The F1

Changes around us related to sport some of us follow for decades are massive, frequent, impactful, and no one is really definitely certain if towards better, or worse. Consequently some of us will leave, being replaced with new line of fans with different taste of racing, asking such questions as Senna who…? Thoughts of this kind hit me when we got in Verstappen, and now it is young Stroll, counting days to celebrate his 18th birthday, replacing an old warrior, Massa-san. End of an era, or is this just beginning of something we are yet to realize, never-mind comprehend? Too soon to say its good, or bad. Its just trendy, but we will get over it, until new fade hits the morning flavor of the day.

Next year we have new regulations coming up, shaking up world of the F1 in time when we are (almost) reaching plateau and maturity with current "stuff", leveling off the initial jump Mercedes had. It has been said many times over and over, that regulatory stability is best for improving enjoyment derived from racing, and if changes are needed, those should be subtle, careful, and well thought out. Well, this F1, true to its tradition, tossed that point of view out of the window, and insisting to shake a tree once again, without actually knowing what's at the end of that rainbow.

Is it time to discuss Brexit, and impact it will have on F1? There are numerous opinions about forthcoming changes on movement of workers, and how it is possible that Europeans will have difficulty to obtain working permit in UK, thus F1 will become mostly "British" affair, and while I think most fans aren't bothered by it, I am not so sure that people who are pumping cash into this are on the same wavelength. Renault and Mercedes might encounter numerous difficulties concerning support of their teams on the island, and hard to say how that will impact team's performance, thus when 2020 comes, I would expect a lot of changes. Not sure what kind, but situation will force those, like it, or not. For now, its time to speculate.

Crazy isn't it when you look back to the day at the age Damon hill was as a rookie, even Ralph Firman. You wont be able to start your f1 career soon if your a day over 20 the way things are going. Yeah Damon Hill was 32 in his first f1 race, today no f1 team would even look at a rookie that age and look what he achieved, a bunch of poles,wins and a world title. And by 32 Verstappen would have had a 15 yr career already in f1.

True enough. I find rather stressful, and being out of time zone, when drivers like Vandoorne - to pick randomly one - at the age of 24 "feel age pressure", and it's now or never for him. (WTH). It raises also an interesting question, what other new stuff we will witness with this new F1? Burned out before 30? Kicked out for you are old when 28 years old? I am not sure where this is all heading, but I feel it is not going to be comfortable for anyone. 18 years old calling 36 years old an idiot on radio waves and get away with it? It is a big new World there, and I am definitely not prepared...

Good post mate, it's like the respect has totally disappeared and what the youth is experiencing at the time is more than enough to judge of, yet they feel alone at the time as if no one else has gone through it. Probably like then younger as there easier to manipulate as they haven't experiments enough in there lives to that point.

Interesting.

Ocon continued: "Max is much more aggressive than me. He's in a race all the time, but I am only when I need to be."

An astute observation by Ocon. Makes one wonder how their career might be developing, given the same opportunities. Keeping your energy levels in check, as Ocon does, has my vote as a winning approach to - well - anything.

Why would you you even say that? Why give your opponents even an inch?

I do not get this guy Fernley

What on earth is Fernley talking about? He sounds like any tires related testing is waste of time and money without any concerns for safety for racing in high temperatures. This is new age of rubber and equipment, and we are arguing again this 18 century mentality like homologation of hybrids, tokens, and all those mistakes of the past? All what Pirelli wants, as I understand it, is to avoid wet, and usually cold Barcelona, and test quantitatively new rubber in weather wise stable ME, so we do not learn through race incident that we have underdeveloped tire. Isn't that something he should be interested in as well? What am I missing? Concerned about money? Then withdraw FI from the F1, and problem is solved.

We are family!

Sons, nephews, wives - Palmer, Berger, Schumacher, Senna, Wolff, Piquet, Ickx, Jorda, Rosberg, Magnussen, and I am sure I forgot someone. Lucas is 22 (time to retire these days), but Mick Schumacher still has some small chance to make it. Hurry up, man.

5 hours ago, Sakae said:

I do not get this guy Fernley

What on earth is Fernley talking about? He sounds like any tires related testing is waste of time and money without any concerns for safety for racing in high temperatures. This is new age of rubber and equipment, and we are arguing again this 18 century mentality like homologation of hybrids, tokens, and all those mistakes of the past? All what Pirelli wants, as I understand it, is to avoid wet, and usually cold Barcelona, and test quantitatively new rubber in weather wise stable ME, so we do not learn through race incident that we have underdeveloped tire. Isn't that something he should be interested in as well? What am I missing? Concerned about money? Then withdraw FI from the F1, and problem is solved.

Agree

Ross on life after hybrids.

Ross, lending his name to the article linked, has clearly placed himself on the thin line between automakers and the rest. I think from sporting point of view it's no brainer, however F1 without Mercedes, Ferrari, Honda and Renault will be rather totally different animal. I also think this would be hard sell. I am not sure that speed is an issue. (Top speed this year 372 [km/hr]). If someone would ask, than I would say biggest drawback to competitive racing, hybrids notwithstanding, are cost down measures on the account of Tier 2 group, sh**e tires, fuel related limitations, demands on reliability and penalty system, etc. F1 could use some sensible and balanced business plan. 

On 10/19/2016 at 2:27 PM, Emmcee said:

Why would you you even say that? Why give your opponents even an inch?

Bit late of a late reply but you should read The Art of War. One of the principles in the book is you pick and choose your fights. Brawling on track with every car might be fun, but if you waste time battling a driver on a racy 3 stop verses your conservative one stop all you'll do is destroy your tires and waste precious time.

It's sad to say in F1 but it's true for all walks of life too - you only fight the battles you need to fight, not the ones you want to fight - if you do, when you actually NEED to fight you'll have expended your resources (time, tires, track position etc..)

I know all about "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu.

like the great Tupac Shakur always used to quote "to defeat your enemies first you must learn to deceive". 

But yea, you make perfect sense with that reply mate.

11 minutes ago, Emmcee said:

I know all about "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu.

like the great Tupac Shakur always used to quote "to defeat your enemies first you must learn to deceive". 

But yea, you make perfect sense with that reply mate.

Fullness and emptyness ;)

I know this is of topic but it drives me mad when people call Tupac a gangster or thug, he was so smart and intelligent and knew the workings of the world and mankind inside and out. People who followed this man soon realised he wasn't like everyone else, he had a message to reach to people that only a certain type of person would understand, you didn't need to be black or from the ghetto to understand his point of view as it was a point of view that was applied to Everyman,woman and child and still is this day. It's so sad that "sheeple" could never wake up and see his true message as the world lost a remarkable young man the day he died. Only the good die young. Quotes like "they got money for war but can't feed the poor" "give 'em dope and guns,stand back and watch them kill each other", "Iam the rose that grew through the crack in the concrete, don't judge me by my damaged petals but by my will and tenacity to reach the sun". He pi$$ed a lot of people off. He wasn't a gangster rapper, just a political activist for the people who didn't have a voice. A lot more was involved in his death than people may see if you catch my drift?

On a different and completely unrelated topic, is it just me or is the COTA just an amalgamation of Istanbul & Silverstone? Since I first saw the circuit I knew there was something wrong with it and it's been bugging me for a long while now. Seriously, watch a lap of Istanbul and you'll see what I mean. Throw in there the Maggots/Becketts complex and you get.. COTA. They just cherry-picked the best bits from two other circuits and called it their own. 

That's exactly what they did, apparently it was built with the best corners on the f1 calendar to make one "awesome" circuit. IMO it's stagnant as fvck but what would I know Iam just a fan who watches it at home.

None of these new circuits with maybe the exception of Baku have no light about them. There all stagnant and boring looking to watch on TV. If you gave a driver a choice, would you rather race at Istanbul or imola, I bet you a $100 I know what there answer will be. These new circuits have no character at all about them, no authenticity, it's like there purposely made to be stagnant and gloomy. The massive runway size runoffs are the contributors to this. If they want run offs, why not place then after a section of grass, so the driver actually gets punished for making a mistake, it would stop this track limit issue they keep having. You put extra bitumen there, drivers will use it.

Yea I agree mate. I think with the increase in digital technology which allows circuits to be designed, in theory, to exciting specifications with plenty of overtaking opportunities has had the opposite effect. Most new circuits have either no soul or character, or some ridiculous feature like the long straights in Abu Dhabi, México, Baku.. (China pioneered this in 2004 I think). Where are the Suzukas, Silverstones and Spas? We've lost our way with so much in F1 - Circuits, cars, organisational structure, costs, safety car starts in the rain?? etc etc

Yep damn straight and if I were in charge of f1 I would make it a 20 race season. 10 races at iconic classics circuits that have a rich history with f1 and 10 races at more modern and new circuits who want to host a race. That's the ideal way to do it IMO.

Little bit of light reading on subject of aging and its effect on productivity.

Here. 

Evidence from a sample of F1 drivers

F1 drivers peaking in 30 - 32 of age? So is the conclusion of the study. Alonso "giving 120%" simply might be not enough, and he is not fooling everybody.

We find that the age-productivity profile is concave and reaches is maximum between the age of 30 and 32. Our result is robust to a number of checks, which control for the fact that there might be factors changing across races (or seasons) which affect drivers differently. Moreover, we show that the productivity increases by around 2.6 points between the age of 20 and 30, and decreases by 2.4 points between the age of 30 and 40

Oh bs, age means far less than people think, it's all down to mindset and how they approach it. Schumacher was still winning races and fighting for championships at 36/37. Nigel mansell won his championship at 39 so did Prost when he won his last. 

Winning races in F1 after one is 32 of age does not really disputes (study) claim, that drivers - in average - peak sooner, as their conclusion states. BTW, study is six years old, and a lot changed in 2014 onwards, just as I would expect it shall change again this year, as series will become more physical. 

That is true, it should sort the men from the boys and who takes there physical training more serious than the others.