Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

New age of The F1

Age submits different people in different ways. And, then, there is the fact that elite athletes are freaks almost by definition.

Anyway. The real kicker though, imo, is the baseline. If the standards are lowered, age (and other factors) matter less. So, yeah, Alonso might hold up in this field but given a change of circumstances regarding driver management, he might disappear in the pack quite quickly. Consider Vettel or Hamilton performance without the supercars (and party favors). They shined the way dog sht shines.

Verstappen won't make it to 32 because F1 won't be around when he's 32.  Poor thing.  He'll never peak!

Quite a few business are turning away from F1, and tying their fortunes with E series. Motosport.com investment is just a latest example of it. I am not sure what that will translate into future, but I have my own doubts about long life of F1. That could be because I find myself in misalignment with current leadership/ownership of F1 on vast majority of issues, and I do not see any signs that there is light at the end of tunnel. Verstappen has to then rather hurry up with his "peaking" and beat the odds, being first one of 10+ generation to do that.

On speculative side, I wonder if he will remain active in F1 during his final days. He has seats in many organizations, and I would say it will keep him busy for a year or so, not to say that he might want to let his successor determine team's direction for 2019, including decisions whether to continue with the F1 in the first place. After 2017 he might be tapering off.

One thing is for sure, he thinks he's the saviour of Ferrari. I read a story that claims he blames himself for Ferrari's form because he left it to late to intervene. Lol we know what we all think of that.

I think arrivabene has copped more than he honestly deserved IMO. He stepped in with no expierience at all and has done the best he could given what he had. I think he has done a remarkable job in all honesty. 

I am not critiquing Arrivabene, but merely noting, that he seems operating on a short leash of one SM.

This maybe little off OT, however I have a need to (shamelessly) gloat. Many years ago I've attended a seminar in Mexico run by an automobile company. Hybrid powered cars were a word of the day, yet projected direction of research we were told about was about hydrogen as resource of the future for the automobile. While reading today's The Japan Times, it hit me how then, what seemed as distant future, is slowly turning into specific projects. We are learning that jointly Toyota and Dutch Shell are investing 10B EUR into hydrogen related products over next 5 years. I wonder where it is going to leave F1 with insatiate hunger to go back to normally aspirated engines.  In my own mind I still think for next 50 years or so people will be driving or being transported under some hybrid combination of electrical and perhaps hydrogen energy. Changing times need supporting infrastructure, and we do not have it right now.

I remember in the early 90s the big hype once paddle shifters came in and 20 years later most new road cars have them.

The thing is, F1, unless intelligently managed, is heading for technological obsolescence and irrelevance to younger viewing audience. Brainwashing by professional manipulators of public opinion might not be all what's needed.

On 8/1/2017 at 8:28 AM, Sakae said:

Follow up on Ferrari's enquiry.

I had the article translated by a machine, and it might be that RBR has been more affected by FiA's "clarification", than Mercedes is. Hard to say.

it's a very interesting article, it looks as if Ferrari could prove beyond any reasonable doubt that the system developed by RBR in 2016 was illegal. Now will someone open the Pandora box of fuel consumption? :D

Since then FiA being FiA, she managed to get both, Mercedes and RBR off the hook on this question. Problem is, Ferrari consequently drew attention on their own design, and should be there an audit by FiA, result is uncertain. I have feeling that FOG (former FOM) designated RBR as a team for win this year.

4 minutes ago, Sakae said:

I have feeling that FOG (former FOM) designated RBR as a team for win this year.

given how much RBR were allowed to bend the rules in 2016 it will be interesting to see if 2017 will be their year of if the powers that be will make Honda happy (after all, they punt a lot of money into F1 and need a return on their investment). Then there's Mercedes, are they still top dog? One thing for sure, 2017 doesn't look like being Ferrari's lucky year, yet again

That begs a question, not if we will see NASCAR bad side promulgating through F1, because I take that as guaranteed practice under new management, thus question merely is, how much of it will be showed through our digestive system, whether we like it or not.

7 hours ago, Sakae said:

The thing is, F1, unless intelligently managed, is heading for technological obsolescence and irrelevance to younger viewing audience. Brainwashing by professional manipulators of public opinion might not be all what's needed.

Already happens mate and it will be affecting your personal life already. Cmon, we all know these corporations know exactly what we the consumer wants.

How is everyone harmonized with noise that F1 will be coming to us on our smart phones? With increasing frequency this seems a change Liberty will entertain us with. Speaking strictly on my own behalf, if so, I will need to purchase a microscope as well, but that's beside the point. Fact is, I don't care, as long as a race can be seen more traditional way as well. I've found cable TV operators looking after their own interest, and not always reliable with their promises after you sign a contract with them. Good compromise for me  as far as digital age (whatever that means) is concerned, it would be good in YouTube based broadcast on my large screen Mac. For now I am not however loosing any sleep over it. I have seen already old races in full duration on YouTube, and it seemed just fine. Not as good as 42" HD TV of course, but it was tolerable to watch.

Should be focussing on getting its fans back by free to air TV before even thinking of that.