Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Massa

Felipe Massa and the Brazilian Grand Prix

Tomorrow marks the final ride at Interlagos for Felipe Massa, starting perhaps from a place of bleakness outside the points and without much of a shot to stand on the podium I'd hope anyone would have wanted to see him on.

You'll have to excuse me if, on the cool-down lap, I'm a little emotional.

I started watching F1 in 2006, then more than a decade invested in American auto racing.  The concept of team orders puzzling me, and having a friendly chip on my shoulder against Michael Schumacher (the ideal "villain"—ruthless on the track, but impossible not to respect, and really as good a person as you could find outside the car) as a lover of Fernando Alonso and his beautiful Renault, I took sympathy on Massa.

Maybe his diminutive stature and the general criticism for him being in over his head at Ferrari made Massa more of an underdog in my eyes.  But seeing him take that first win in Istanbul, and then, in those special overalls, victory at Interlagos on a day filled with emotion about the championship battle and what we assumed would be Schumacher's last race (and a hell of a job he did, recovering in that one), highlighted a season that I still consider my favorite.

Schumacher's sportsmanship in stepping aside so Massa would keep his drive really moved me.  I hoped so badly that he'd be validated by Massa in 2007.  My heart sunk in the races Massa had to move over for Räikkönen, and at how bad Massa was in the wet—clashing at the Nürburgring with an Alonso whose mastery was overwhelming.  I didn't think anything could top the heartbreak of the good teammate giving up his home race so the guy who would have replaced him if not for Schumacher's act would take the WDC.

I don't feel like anyone's owed much beyond the basic, fundamental rights.  But boy, did this sport owe Massa one.

He never got it.  The head injury in 2009, "Fernando is faster than you," the wallowing in his final years of Ferrari, being part of a Williams resurgence that came so close to a win twice in 2014 but that coincided with a hugely dominant Mercedes near impossible to overcome (though Austria 2014 was just a massive blunder of strategy, and Montréal 2014 was a goofy collision with Sergio Pérez that both drivers deserved blame for).  He was the right place, wrong time driver, and the wrong place, right time driver.

And then there was here in 2008.

Some will remember Massa as perhaps a whiner.  I won't disagree.  But how could you not be your own advocate, constantly fighting for your position, when F1 has dealt you what it has?  No one else was on Massa's side since Schumacher—sometimes rightfully, sometimes unfortunately.  He had to be trumpet his own talents and argue for his better treatment at Ferrari.

And more importantly, to me, are not the moments of venting to the media, but the ones of class and grace.  Massa has stood up for his fellow drivers to be paid for the job they do—and that might seem greedy, but the cut of an impossibly wealthy sport that most of them get isn't so sensible, even if the gross pay is higher than any of us will ever see.  Massa's friendship with Pastor Maldonado and Daniel Ricciardo is fun, and the jokes he shared with Alonso, one who perhaps impeded his successes at times and one with home he clashed so badly in that aforementioned European Grand Prix, showed a willingness to move on and see past himself.  His relationships with his father, his wife, and his children are all great signs of his character.

Once again, I say, "And then there was 2008."

Dealt the worst blow of a career of heartbreak, Massa looked out for the McLaren mechanics.  Fearing that emotions might spill over by a partisan fan base, Massa arranged for Ferrari and Renault overalls and apparel to be given to the McLaren team so they could exit the track without fear of being targeted for being on the other side of the championship battle.  It was all Massa's idea.

It would have been so easy for Massa to stand there in self-pity, thinking of nothing but how he may never have an opportunity like this again (and as it were, he didn't).  But he cared about the safety of the ones with whom he shares a paddock, thinking about those who sacrifice even more to be on this tour, those who were his rivals all year long.

So, forgive me if I make a lot about Massa's final Brazilian Grand Prix.  Perhaps he was the best to never win the title.  Or maybe it was that he was the worst to ever get that close.  Either way, he's the Felipe who I'd wake up at any hour to watch break my heart, and the Felipe whose undying self-belief, inspiring courage in returning from injury, and gracious selfessness in 2008 made me proud to wear my yellow-and-green Ferrari hat out.

He may not stand on that podium tomorrow, but wherever he stands, I hope he stands as tall as all 5'3" of him will allow.

And I think he will, because you know the guy feels 6'7" in his head.

After a career like this, why shouldn't he?

@Massa I feel your pain (at least trying to), but what draws you to him? Support for the underdog, compassion, feel sorry for him, or what else? BTW, pretty good (and long) essay. You must also know that until his skiing accident, he remained Michael's friend. I am curious, because I might be in similar situation with some other racer. I have no emotional attachment to an object (car), or a team, but a person behind the wheel, and if I feel good about his character, I stay with him for years, going through thick and thin. It was good read.