Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quadzilla

A Bit Off Topic:Intro & F1 Book Recommendations?

Hello Everyone,
Just a quick note to introduce myself and hopefully get some recommendations on the Formula One related books I'm considering. I've been an F1 fan for around 16 years now and it's one of my favorite motorsports, second only to MotoGP. While there's much I do know about the sport, there's a whole lot I don't know! I'd like to learn more about what goes on behind the scenes in the FIA and the various F1 teams. I'd also like to get more "day in the life" type of info on drivers and mechanics. The books I've been considering so far are listed below, would you recommend any of those or are there any other titles you'd recommend? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!

Total Competition: Lessons in Strategy from Formula One by Ross Brawn 
Aussie Grit: My Formula One Journey  by Mark Webber  
Life in the Fast Lane: 20th Anniversary Special Edition  by Steve Matchett  
The Mechanic's Tale by Steve Matchett  
Life At The Limit: Triumph and Tragedy in Formula One by Sid Watkins  

(FYI, I was going this in "The Cafe" but there didn't seem like much activity there)

@Quadzilla Welcome, and whilst you are in best position to evaluate your own body of knowledge, there are several categories of interest to different people, thus you can get from F1 business annual report on the one side (will cost you big bucks to get a copy), to rumors on the forums and everything between.

If you are however interested in racing techniques, may I suggest you check - Going Faster!: Mastering the Art of Race Driving: The Skip Barber Racing Schoo by Carl Lopez, or if you like NASCAR, check Bob Bondurant' on High Performance Driving. Danny Sullivan is also a good source on driving techniques, explaining with help of graphs turns topography and how to get through them fast, etc. Good one is also Performance thinking by Dallaire, and many others, but not all are worth a buck. I got caught up on a few with promising headlines, and they were nothing more than self glorified trash. Some are in other languages than English.