Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emmcee

Rosberg world champion at last.

What a cracker of a race to end the current era of formula one. Hampton drove a brilliant race and did all he could but I feel if only he started to back them up a little earlier, the result of the championship could've been different but that's in hindsight. Rosberg came immense pressure from Vettel at the end who himself put in a heroic drive but IMO the better driver this season won. Well done Nico on becoming 2016 f1 world champion.

Congratulations to Nico ! 

He deserved it totally !! Despite that b@stard Lewis playing dirty tricks !

Lewis showed a new lowlife move !

I believe that there should be discipline and integrity within a team and with it's drivers. If Mercedes want to ensure that then they should fire LH and talk Jenson out of retirement. He'll be a good match for Rosberg. Lewis has nowhere to go - he's toxic. Verstappen is the coming man, Hamilton is history. I am extremely sad to see JB so confused but he had nowhere to go once he had turned down Williams and decided to take a sabbatical. I think that was a Dennis plan and overall, probably the wrong one for Button. Like to say, thanks Jens it was a complete honour to support you for 17 years. You are a credit to the sport and your family. Bon chance.

Interestingly enough, JB is thinking, not surprisingly perhaps, that he is retiring too soon. I gather then, that mentally he is still fit to fill a seat somewhere, despite that I am not familiar with conditions of his contract with McLaren. EB said there will be for him some limited active engagement with the team, thus he is in a bind to those conditions. 

Should Hamilton receive invitation to sit out 2017, Alonso could be moving over to fill his seat, then JB would be back with McLaren.

I think that Rosberg deserved to win as he had the upper hand for most of the season. What happened to Hamilton in Malaysia is very unlucky and I feel for him but it was more than balanced by 2 very dubious penalties inflicted upon Rosberg and for the fact that Rosberg let him throught at Monaco. That is the main difference between Rosberg and Hamilton: Rosberg is a team player and has been ready to follow team orders even if that meant giving a very significant advantage to his main rival, Hamilton would have never done that, he hasn't got what it takes to ackowledge that Rosberg made him a huge present at Monaco, is a very bad loser and is very very weak mentally. I also happen to believe that Hamilton was given the 2014 WDC by the team, Rosberg had beat him fair and square until the events in Budapest, Spa and Monza when on one occasion Hamilton deliberately pushed his team mate out of the track, on the other he was equally guilty for their accident and finally was handed the win with a farcical charade when Rosberg pretented to miss the braking point at the first chicane. Hamilton should not forget 2014.

I beleieve that in pure driving terms Hamilton is better (but Rosberg very often managed to be faster, even on a single lap) but as a sportsman IMHO Hamilton is flawed, he needed a strong hand during his F1 development, only his dad could have kept him grounded and when they parted ways IMHO Lewis completely lost it.

Also we should consider that until Rosberg decided that he was following the Prost - Lauda example he was way ahead in terms of wins, that was 9 to 7.

So all in all I'd say that the best one won

3 hours ago, Sakae said:

Interestingly enough, JB is thinking, not surprisingly perhaps, that he is retiring too soon. I gather then, that mentally he is still fit to fill a seat somewhere, despite that I am not familiar with conditions of his contract with McLaren. EB said there will be for him some limited active engagement with the team, thus he is in a bind to those conditions. 

Should Hamilton receive invitation to sit out 2017, Alonso could be moving over to fill his seat, then JB would be back with McLaren.

There is that option but I believe the cost would be enormous - perhaps €50m with comp etc. JB is a cost-effective, reliable and super-experienced option. He is also the marketing department's wet dream and more than capable of winning a WDC. Jenson's contract is a reward for stepping down while mentoring Vandoorne and scanning an unbiased eye over development of the 2017 car. Pretty much like Schuey's deal at Maranello.

10 minutes ago, Insider said:

JB is a cost-effective, reliable and super-experienced option.

I'm a fan of JB and would love to see him back in a competitive car. I'll admit I've never been a huge LH fan, but I'm on the fence about his behaviour in that last race.  I guess I can see his side of it where he's watching the championship slip away lap by lap. Tough break.

If anything, the fact that Rosberg won the WDC with Hamilton in the same car makes it even more impressive.  It's easy if you've got the fastest car and a slow poke teammate.  Quite different when you're up against a multiple WDC.

46 minutes ago, rumblestrip said:

If anything, the fact that Rosberg won the WDC with Hamilton in the same car makes it even more impressive.  It's easy if you've got the fastest car and a slow poke teammate.  Quite different when you're up against a multiple WDC.

Sounds like anti-Vettel jab, and since fairly inaccurate at it, let me then refresh your memory with a few points:

1.     Hamilton and Rosberg for full three years drove an undisputedly superior vehicle over whole field, and that in highly regulated environment which was suppressing any if not all progress competition could attempt to make. Hamilton has been up to this point ostensibly protected by Merc management on and off the track. It was breeze for him. He had one competitor to beat for three years long, and he still could not do it cleanly without getting help from pit-wall from time to time.

2.     Vettel, in contrast, drove a good car (doubtfully best, especially all the time like Mercedes) in highly competitive environment, and even if his teammate was not up to his level, others in the field were. Lowe stated on more than one occasion that McLaren was just as fast as RB. There was no token system in place to protect Vettel from competition, there was no complicated PU to copy, and anyone could within two or three months catch him with fully revamped car, if they could match his driving technique.

Vettel's driving technique made all the difference, and in my eyes he has therefore deserved any of his four WDC much more, than what Hamilton scratched. 

Well, well. I only watched two races this year and the second one was the last one. It was ok.

Congrats to Nico and Hamilton. Both drivers did their part and the outcome was as predicted. Indeed, the only thing that's unequivocally clear is that the car won, not the drivers.

Mercedes has the problems that it has created for itself. Hiring Hamilton meant they would be in the constant state of crisis that Hamilton's fans claim Alonso causes (and never does). There are again the systematic accusations of sabotage, favoritism, and on and on. All and always, Hamilton, the hero of Australia 2009. It's all in the record. Like I said, Mercedes can only blame themselves as will any team that hires him.

Anyway, as things stand, and based on the last seven seasons, the team that produces a supercar will take the championship, no matter who's driving it. The only opposition might come from Verstappen or Alonso, the two drivers capable of clearly outperforming their cars. Hopefully more such drivers will arrive at F1. The current field is mediocre.

5 hours ago, Insider said:

I believe that there should be discipline and integrity within a team and with it's drivers. If Mercedes want to ensure that then they should fire LH and talk Jenson out of retirement. He'll be a good match for Rosberg. Lewis has nowhere to go - he's toxic. Verstappen is the coming man, Hamilton is history. I am extremely sad to see JB so confused but he had nowhere to go once he had turned down Williams and decided to take a sabbatical. I think that was a Dennis plan and overall, probably the wrong one for Button. Like to say, thanks Jens it was a complete honour to support you for 17 years. You are a credit to the sport and your family. Bon chance.

Yeah Iam really sad to see jenson leave. The last genuine driver to leave the sport, such a talent, he is an example of how such talent gets hidden in f1 due to the levels of competition between teams. When he had a car capable of winning he was winning. As for Williams I don't think he so much turned him down, I think thy simply couldn't afford him.

11 hours ago, Insider said:

I'm with you on this. I like JB and thought that he is leaving a year too early.:confused2:

LH shows his low class attitude. I hate P@nkass like him !  :icon2_yuk: No excuse for all his antics and bad attitude all year round. bad for F1's reputation.:nono1:

A sore loser ! :thumbdown: 

Will probably go down as one of THE most underserving of championships

If you accuse Hamilton of having the most dominant car, at least he's the better and faster of the two, lost a championship because of failures.... what a farce this championship. I've even lost interest, even with Kimi and Vettel racing this year

Lost because of failures? 3 to nicos 1, yet Nico let him by in Monaco and what was it 3-4 penalties Nico got where he missed out on more points  he should've got? He simply did a better job than Lewis did this year when it had to be done and Lewis becoming the first driver in f1 history to win 10 races without winning the title should prove that. Like already mentioned, does that mean massa deserved the 2008 title more so than Lewis because he had more failures than Lewis did that year? Lewis couldnt even screw it up properly because Nico did It all properly, I thought Lewis would have a tiny bit of respect but nope.

There is 2008 and many others. Just the season before that one, the championship was for my guy and he got it on a pitstop and on team orders.

Nah.

Hamilton and Rosberg fought it out, they could not lose to any other, and it came down to a coin flip. It does not mean a thing who won of the two beyond having a new fruity flavor among the weird cabal of modern F1 champions.

15 hours ago, Sakae said:

Sounds like anti-Vettel jab, and since fairly inaccurate at it, let me then refresh your memory with a few points:

1.     Hamilton and Rosberg for full three years drove an undisputedly superior vehicle over whole field, and that in highly regulated environment which was suppressing any if not all progress competition could attempt to make. Hamilton has been up to this point ostensibly protected by Merc management on and off the track. It was breeze for him. He had one competitor to beat for three years long, and he still could not do it cleanly without getting help from pit-wall from time to time.

2.     Vettel, in contrast, drove a good car (doubtfully best, especially all the time like Mercedes) in highly competitive environment, and even if his teammate was not up to his level, others in the field were. Lowe stated on more than one occasion that McLaren was just as fast as RB. There was no token system in place to protect Vettel from competition, there was no complicated PU to copy, and anyone could within two or three months catch him with fully revamped car, if they could match his driving technique.

Vettel's driving technique made all the difference, and in my eyes he has therefore deserved any of his four WDC much more, than what Hamilton scratched. 

Vettel's results and demeanour since his last WDC are way below par. He's a decent pedlar but he's not in the same class as Hamilton, Verstappen and Alonso. He can't win a teapot in a car that is less than perfect. 

Amen to that. Finally another person who can tell it how it is, I respect this post immensely. I get reticuled and shut down in a blaze of glory by biased and inaccurate theories simply because I tell it how it is and there is no justifiable reaction to my post. Not to mention add that with the memory of a goldfish and you've hit it right on the head.

20 minutes ago, Insider said:

He can't win a teapot in a car that is less than perfect. 

No one can, and you can take it to the bank. Not Hamilton, not Alonso, and not Verstappen. (IMHO, of course).

3 hours ago, Emmcee said:

Nico let him by in Monaco and what was it 3-4 penalties Nico got where he missed out on more points  he should've got? He simply did a better job than Lewis did this year when it had to be done and Lewis becoming the first driver in f1 history to win 10 races without winning the title should prove that. Like already mentioned, does that mean massa deserved the 2008 title more so than Lewis because he had more failures than Lewis did that year? Lewis couldnt even screw it up properly because Nico did It all properly, I thought Lewis would have a tiny bit of respect but nope.

:congrats::congrats::congrats: and let's not forget that hadn't Hamilton punted Rosberg off in Barcelona it would probably have been 5 - 0 for him and that Rosberg could have easily kept Hamilton behind at Monaco, and IMHO what happened at Monaco is a good enough reason why Hamilton should have been more graceful towards Rosberg in his defeat. Hamilton's problem was that he lost in a very sad and silly fashion (in the end if he really wanted to block Rosberg last Sunday he should have done it properly, what he did on the one hand was silly and on the other it wasn't enough)

53 minutes ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

:congrats::congrats::congrats: and let's not forget that hadn't Hamilton punted Rosberg off in Barcelona it would probably have been 5 - 0 for him and that Rosberg could have easily kept Hamilton behind at Monaco, and IMHO what happened at Monaco is a good enough reason why Hamilton should have been more graceful towards Rosberg in his defeat. Hamilton's problem was that he lost in a very sad and silly fashion (in the end if he really wanted to block Rosberg last Sunday he should have done it properly, what he did on the one hand was silly and on the other it wasn't enough)

Exactly right, he looked like an idiot that with his skill and was losing to Rosberg. But now he looks like a stupid idiot for they way he lost it. Why not show the world then by driving of into the distance, not trying to win by default. Disgusted, this guy consistently boasts about how he is quicker than the rest and blah blah blah and tries to pride himself on that and with the way he acted in the race, that's not a man who wants to win by being the fastest. Fact is Nico trounced him this year and maybe he should spend more nights at home trying to see where he is lacking than spending it at bars and clubs because it obviously affected him. Hamilton fans are grasping the fact "yeah but he won 10 races to nico's 9". Yeah but it didn't win him the title and without nico's help in Monaco and nico's penalties, imagine if he won 10 races to Lewis's 9, the title would've been stitched up in Malaysia. Nico did it all by being consistant when it had to be done, he didn't need to be the fastest each weekend, but he was the fastest when he had to be. Just ask his father Keke, he won the 82 championship with just one win to his name.

6 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

If you accuse Hamilton of having the most dominant car, at least he's the better and faster of the two, lost a championship because of failures.... what a farce this championship. I've even lost interest, even with Kimi and Vettel racing this year

At least some decent suspense in what was one of the most underwhelming winners of one of the most underwhelming championships in recent memory.

Still I'd rather have Rosberg as a champion than the obvious Lewis. In the end, none of them comes out a better legend outside the confines of their respective countries. Lewis is still a guy more prone to ruin his talent by his teenage heart-throb antics than make use of it when all he had to do for the past years is to beat Nick Heidfeld's little clone. There is no glory in "recovering drives" from last position when your car could easily do that and lap the entire field even when driven by a moderately competitive driver.

Neither is much glory in "commanding drives from the front". Massa did that for petessake! I found them boring and disappointing when my boy Alonso pulled them in the old Renault days. 

So yeah, reliability might have hurt him, but so did his usual inconsistency, even if he got a lot better (then again, in these Mercedes!)

So...Nico...yeah. Geez that guy is not exactly lightning fast is he? Nor is he apparently a great setup guy, nor a fine driver (he does at least one off track excursion or some other mistake. In every. Single. Race.

Oh yeah, he comes about as a little less of a douche than Lewis, or at least he fakes it better. But being douches is not a mortal sin as most of them are and every single F1 legend probably was (yes, including Senna and that didn't diminish his legend did it?).

In short. I don't think Rosberg is an underserved champion when compared with this year's Lewis. But this year we've seen greater drives from many, many other drivers down the field. Drivers I consider did a better job than the two champions?

Alonso (of course! now and ever!) :P

Ricciardo, Verstappen, Button, Pérez, Hulk, Wehrlein, Kimi (yeah, even him! Un-be-lie-va-ble). I can't add Vettel because I expected a lot more than him, even considering Ferrari at their usual levels of incompetence. But even he was no less than Rosberg. 

8 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Brad, I am not sure it is correct to say that some of us are "accusing" Hamilton having a dominant car - ever, in whole history of the F1. The same goes for Rosberg. I think it is rather an axiomatic statement of facts, true for past three seasons; a fact that will be hard to dispute. Regarding WDC, the guy with more points got it, don't you agree, and whether he deserves it or not, well, that's a slippery slope left rather untouched.