Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KoolMonkey

Rosberg Retires....

I can't help but think part of that has been Hamilton's atrocious treatment towards him these past few years. He's won the Championship, peace the fork out!

Button will be crying into his Wheatbix at present because Alonso will now be in full on Emporer mode selling his services to Merc, meaning he might be driving next year. I'm sure the Verstappens will be in full on pimp mode too.

I find this both sad and completely surprising. I have nothing to go on here but a gut feeling, but I think Hamilton's selfish tactics during Dubai was the clincher for Nico. Win and GTFO away fom the egotistical fwit. It's clear Merc will let Hamilton now do anything, thus making Nico's position untenable when he's ways obeyed team orders, even back when Brawn gave him an order.

Ricci  is just so right for this position at Merc.

Sorry but the wrong guy retired it should have been his bum mate

1 hour ago, KoolMonkey said:

I can't help but think part of that has been Hamilton's atrocious treatment towards him these past few years. He's won the Championship, peace the fork out!

Button will be crying into his Wheatbix at present because Alonso will now be in full on Emporer mode selling his services to Merc, meaning he might be driving next year. I'm sure the Verstappens will be in full on pimp mode too.

I find this both sad and completely surprising. I have nothing to go on here but a gut feeling, but I think Hamilton's selfish tactics during Dubai was the clincher for Nico. Win and GTFO away fom the egotistical fwit. It's clear Merc will let Hamilton now do anything, thus making Nico's position untenable when he's ways obeyed team orders, even back when Brawn gave him an order.

I needs some time to recover from shock, but my first reaction is similar. Alonso might be in a position to quit McLaren based on performance, or rather lack of thereof, and Button suddenly is back at McLaren. On the other hand, Dennis claimed some time ago, that Alonso had no way out of his contract, thus it is slightly muddy as far as his potential candidacy is concerned. I am little bit angry, since some Britons on various forums already badmouthing Rosberg that Mercedes appease him whenever possible, but I am not sure that Rosberg really cares; among other things he said he had enough of the F1 related BS. He is not alone BTW. I thought one could line up a few cases in which Mercedes seemingly appeased Hamilton, rather than Rosberg, but here again this might be a case when two parties interpret the same stuff totally differently. I wonder if Sebastian, intensely family man is thinking whether he too should fold it.

Berger (AMuS) thinks that Mercedes needs only top talent for next year, otherwise it will be RBR crowned in 2017. This is actually very much a rational thought. Pascal, love him or not, might be little short on experience with top machinery, which Verstappen already has. Interesting problem for Merc. 

I am afraid it has to be a top man to keep Hamilton honest. My shortlist would be like this in no particular order:

1/Jenson [has all the credentials and gets on with LH]. It's his old team too.

2/Alonso [McHonda contract watertight though he's not big on loyalty or legals but LH would resist big time].

3/Verstappen will be pursued rigorously but RBR will sue him to kingdom come - and back. LH will soil himself.

4/Perez. The respect for this guy grows season on season despite a shaky start. Mega quick.

5/Grosjean. Fast but stupid.

6/Palmer. The joker in my pack. Sensible guy and is quick too. He won't be bullied either.

7/Raikkonen. Should be in the frame and LH can live with that choice.

8/Bottas. This could be the sensible choice other than Jenson and Williams could take on another pay driver.

9/Ricciardo. No chance. He'll be pushing the Bull until it breaks.

10/Hulk. Blew that one didn't he.

In essence, only JB is readily available and of all the young talent [bar MV] only Vandoorne seems to be ready. Button, Kimi, Nando are all WDCs and a match for Lewis mentally. I think this must be done quickly before the Stuttgart board cools on the whole idea of F1. LH will want Jenson probably but it wouldn't surprise me if Lewis retires too! Personally, I think they'll try for Vandoorne.

I would like to know WTH is Hamilton talking about, when he claims that he is not surprised over Nico's exit. He has received a courtesy call from Nico just moments before news went viral, but if he suspected that something is in the air, how come he was quiet about it, since he was yapping about everything else after the last race (I will take the title back next year from Nico, etc.).

Lauda in an interview with AMuS confirmed, that both, Vettel and Alonso are under consideration to replace Nico, however their contracts with their current teams might be difficult to break.

I think it's a combination of things.

Another long, grueling season alongside Lewis looming before him, with all the accompanying drama that brings. Wanting to spend more time with his wife and daughter, and having other career opportunities that allow that.  I'm sure it feels a lot better go to out on top like this.

For me, 2017 is looking very interesting!

If I have to speculate, based on optics and how Mercedes was protecting Hamilton since 2014, Nico might feel that he would be under pressure to play second fiddle to Hamilton next year, which probably was one of the factors in his decisions. 

2 minutes ago, Sakae said:

If I have to speculate, based on optics and how Mercedes was protecting Hamilton since 2014, Nico might feel that he would be under pressure to play second fiddle to Hamilton next year, which probably was one of the factors in his decisions. 

I would agree with that speculation.

Pitpass - this is really funny.

Today's shock news gives the 'Who Goes Where' grid outlook for 2017 a slightly different look.

Driver Nat Team Comment
Hamilton GBR Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team Confirmed
TBC   Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team  
Ricciardo AUS Red Bull Racing Talking to lawyer
Verstappen NED Red Bull Racing Confirmed
Bottas FIN Williams Martini Racing Talking to lawyer
Stroll CAN Williams Martini Racing Talking to Dad
Vettel GER Scuderia Ferrari Talking to lawyer
Raikkonen FIN Scuderia Ferrari Talking to lawyer
Alonso ESP McLaren Honda Talking to lawyer
Vandoorne BEL McLaren Honda Confirmed
Perez ME Sahara Force India F1 Team Talking to lawyer

The only person I can see who will get this is werhlein. If he doesn't well, he got the short straw didn't he? Lost out in favour of Ocon and now lost out to a seat he was supposed to get. I really think werhlein will get it as Mercedes will used it as a "look to the future" type scenario and have him learn first hand from Lewis. He's already copying the stupid hairstyle lol, hope the attitude doesn't rub of. Ricciardo won't leave and IMO he would be stupid to as redbull look to be in the prime position to be the ones to beat next season but would Lewis allow it if it did so happen? He seems to be able to control all aspect of the team and do what he likes. If alonso tries to grab it, I would loose so much respect for him as it would appear he just tries to follow the winning cars instead of doing it himself, it has to be werhlein.

4 hours ago, Sakae said:

I would like to know WTH is Hamilton talking about, when he claims that he is not surprised over Nico's exit. He has received a courtesy call from Nico just moments before news went viral, but if he suspected that something is in the air, how come he was quiet about it, since he was yapping about everything else after the last race (I will take the title back next year from Nico, etc.).

Lauda in an interview with AMuS confirmed, that both, Vettel and Alonso are under consideration to replace Nico, however their contracts with their current teams might be difficult to break.

Alonso is the best option but that will sit badly with Hamilton and he will never stop moaning. Vettel would be a poor choice, I feel. He's nowhere near as rapid as LH and and there will be heavy friction I feel.....and he'll never stop moaning.  If you want someone to finish on the podium every week then Bottas could be a good choice but if you want someone to chase Lewis around AND finish on the podium it may be Perez you need.

This could be a Button master stroke akin to his wins in the wet. But he is still under contract at McLaren for 2017. My understanding is they were going to still pay him the same amount to not drive, but be ready to be called up. Now that Ron has gone, he might be able to bail on that contract and goto Merc if they want him. I think it would be a d|ck move on McLaren's part if they prevented him from going there.

You can bet a $1 that Alonso's agent has been making the most calls to Merc. I'm not sure how Hamilton would feel with Alonso back in his team, since we all know it's his team now and he can say and do whatever he likes. But Merc might not want Alonso. He's got history and has a track record of creating disharmony in a team. Not something Merc want any part of. Max won't be going anywhere. He already played his hand earlier in the year trying to extort RBR into paying him more. He's locked down for years and the same for Ricci. Max might be worth Mercs $$ to buy him out of his contract but I stongly think RBR have put in a monster buyout clause. They are not going to let him go period.

Vettel is an interesting choice. I think Ferrari are a complete mess at the moment, and Arrivabene has even taken pot shots and been down on Vettel. Even if he's not winning I can't see Vettel wanting to leave, but if he's being disrespected then that's a different scenario. Arrivabene will be replaced soon enough, and I'm sure all sorts of Ferrari people. So moving forward it's probably just going to be one big mess of a team until Marchione gets the sack.

Nico has gotten a raw deal from Merc and Hamilton for years. There's definately more to this story I think, and it's all got to do with Hamilton, how he's treated Nico, and how Merc have done absolutely nothing to rain in an correct Hamilton's behaviour.

Nico walked away from a massive contract. $50m over 3 years + whatever winning the championship adds in bonuses. A massive move on his part.

Very good point monkey and now you have me scratching my head. A lot to think about now isn't there?

1 hour ago, Insider said:

Alonso is the best option but that will sit badly with Hamilton and he will never stop moaning. Vettel would be a poor choice, I feel. He's nowhere near as rapid as LH and and there will be heavy friction I feel.....and he'll never stop moaning.  If you want someone to finish on the podium every week then Bottas could be a good choice but if you want someone to chase Lewis around AND finish on the podium it may be Perez you need.

Bottas won't leave Williams, he has plenty of expierience now and he will be the leader of the team. Something he defiantly won't have if he went to Mercedes. I think Perez is out of the picture to as mclaren tainted his rep when they had Mercedes as a engine supplier.

One and done !!!

Just read the news a few minutes ago....because if you live in the USA you have to seek this info out.

Anyhow, a decent guy who is a decent racer. Sorry to see him go.

Without Rosberg there to keep Hamilton honest....is there even a season worth watching next year?

4 hours ago, KoolMonkey said:

This could be a Button master stroke akin to his wins in the wet. But he is still under contract at McLaren for 2017. My understanding is they were going to still pay him the same amount to not drive, but be ready to be called up. Now that Ron has gone, he might be able to bail on that contract and goto Merc if they want him. I think it would be a d|ck move on McLaren's part if they prevented him from going there.

You can bet a $1 that Alonso's agent has been making the most calls to Merc. I'm not sure how Hamilton would feel with Alonso back in his team, since we all know it's his team now and he can say and do whatever he likes. But Merc might not want Alonso. He's got history and has a track record of creating disharmony in a team. Not something Merc want any part of. Max won't be going anywhere. He already played his hand earlier in the year trying to extort RBR into paying him more. He's locked down for years and the same for Ricci. Max might be worth Mercs $$ to buy him out of his contract but I stongly think RBR have put in a monster buyout clause. They are not going to let him go period.

Vettel is an interesting choice. I think Ferrari are a complete mess at the moment, and Arrivabene has even taken pot shots and been down on Vettel. Even if he's not winning I can't see Vettel wanting to leave, but if he's being disrespected then that's a different scenario. Arrivabene will be replaced soon enough, and I'm sure all sorts of Ferrari people. So moving forward it's probably just going to be one big mess of a team until Marchione gets the sack.

Nico has gotten a raw deal from Merc and Hamilton for years. There's definately more to this story I think, and it's all got to do with Hamilton, how he's treated Nico, and how Merc have done absolutely nothing to rain in an correct Hamilton's behaviour.

Nico walked away from a massive contract. $50m over 3 years + whatever winning the championship adds in bonuses. A massive move on his part.

Mercedes might take someone on a one year deal to give themselves a breather, and do 2018 properly. I am wondering if MA or SM called Seb and talked to him about future - just to be sure, because until now he did not have anywhere to go, but Nico unexpectedly has taken care of that. On the other hand I have feeling, that he likes red color, and if he exits, than probably into early retirement like Nico has done. After all he is not too crazy about current F1, and he has plenty of reasons to be unhappy with Whiting and his pack this year.

I am not sure right now, but Nico's latest contract I think was probably only for 2 years (not 3).

6 hours ago, Insider said:

Feelings come and go, but I think anti-Vettel incendiary rhetoric will not change anything on fact who Vettel actually is, and that's good enough for me. Mercedes car certainly was fast for past three years, I do not know of anyone who would want to dispute that. Regarding Hamilton, I am not as convinced about his greatness as some of you are. He had opportunity to prove his worth driving for McLaren, but despite big push from media, fans and management, his performance was not all that impressive as far as I am concerned, and then he run away. Vettel changing seats (on equal terms) could settle some of those old wives tales. Hamilton would not object to Vettel, since he obviously believes all that BS that is being said about his alleged superiority. Rosberg was good and fast, but he is not Vettel. People forget that Kimi is one of the fastest drivers around on current grid, and he has been beaten in the course of a season in a car that was actually designed to suit his driving style, contrasting what Vettel would have liked. Hamilton against Vettel, with RBR in a mix could yield duel worth watching. This is however as far as my speculation takes me on this hypothetical subject.

This topic has popped up in my thoughts a few times today. I'm still convinced Hamilton's behaviour was the catalyst to Nico leaving F1 so early.

I too am going to leave F1 soon as a fan. I'm here to support Kimi and Vettel, but once Kimi goes, I'm done with this farce of a sport. Hamilton's comments about Nico not winning anything in 18 years is about as disrespectful as you can get. For me Hamilton's attitude during these past few years, Mercs failure and unwillingness to do anything about it, has killed whatever enjoyment I've had in this sport. It was already crap, but now it's bordering on garbage. Not only do we have to see the lack of competition, we have to hear how great Hamilton is, yet in the same breath how Vettel only won because of Newey. I'm tired of the double standards.

I am however excited to see the 2017 cars in action, but I know the same old BS of Hamilton and a portion of his fan base are going to drive me nuts. There's no consistency. His fans are slamming Nico for being a coward. They slam Vettel as well. Most of the grid would be winning in those Mercedes cars, yet that is entirely lost of them. Hamilton is the greatest, all hail the great one. F Bernie for putting this pr|ck on a pedastal and saying Hamilton is the greastest Champion F1 ever had. And F Hamilton for turning this sport into a Kardashian/Kanye sh|tfest. If that's the direction of F1, I'm outey yall.

A big loss to F1 and make people think what really made Nico quit F1. 

I hope him the best although I myself hopes he comes back in 2018.

I wish for Pascal Wherein to take his place and give that Brat Lewis an hard time i and off the tracks.

I honestly don't think Hamilton would approve of Vettel joining the team. Vettel is so hungry ATM to achieve something and if he left Ferrari which I can't honestly see him doing, Hamilton would have a driver all of a sudden who is willing to push him hard like he did Rosberg. Just look at this year, it's really the first year Rosberg played Lewis's game and refused to be bullied around anymore and now Lewis has nothing but a shopping list of excuses. "They swapped the mechanics", "I had failures and Nico didn't", "if I had nicos car I would've won again" and blah blah blah. Vettel would make mince meat out of Lewis IMO and it would cause more issues than what it's worth because Lewis would just whinge and whinge and whinge. Seb needs to stay with Ferrari because if he can turn them around, it would hold a lot more respect than if he just jumped to the winning team IMO. Nico proved this season that he is more than a match for Lewis, imagine how Lewis feels now, they guy he had the measure of his entire life finally beat him so he would be questioning his own ability and if someone younger comes in like werhlein, he will be worried for sure. 

Jenson please come back from retirement. It would be great if he could try the merc seat and also it would be great  if alonso moves to merc and Jenson gets the mclaren seat .  oh yeah I am excited already