Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

radical-one

Who will replace ROSBERG ?

7 hours ago, Ruslan said:

Mercedes pretty much has an abundance of options and can pick and choose as they wish. The biggest problem is deciding internally what they want and what they are willing to pay. I think it is most likely Werhlein, although Bottas and Ocon are options. They clearly are not going to go for someone like Alonso or Vettel.

By the way, Lauda whining about Rosberg suddenly quitting is rather rich, considering he quit the Brabham team in the middle of a race weekend. I don't think the team owner, Bernie Ecclestone, ever forgave him.

Never like Lauda because of his attitude. He should retire. too old to be around the pits....

I like him because he isn't shy to tell the truth no matter who it may offend. He knows his stuff.

But of course Lauda will drop his negative comments on Rosberg because Lauda is the biggest Lewis Nuthugger :thumbdown:

2 hours ago, radical-one said:

Seems like Pascal has got a goo chance ! :beer22: :clap3:

Toto Wolff has admitted that recruiting a big-name driver to replace retired Formula 1 champion Nico Rosberg at Mercedes is not his preferred option.

Having read quite a number of articles on the subject, this view appears exactly point of disagreement between Lauda and Wolf. One thinks they have to tackle it, other one does not want to go through financial hassles, which he opposes (rather than that he would be against specific names).

The other point about Lauda, whilst it is perhaps not very pleasant to hear it, but the man has a point. Rosberg, as much as a good person he is, by his move he placed Merc in slightly challenging position, and if Torger thought he will sit on couch and drink his favorite wine, now he has to get back into office - ha ha.

12 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Having read quite a number of articles on the subject, this view appears exactly point of disagreement between Lauda and Wolf. One thinks they have to tackle it, other one does not want to go through financial hassles, which he opposes (rather than that he would be against specific names).

The other point about Lauda, whilst it is perhaps not very pleasant to hear it, but the man has a point. Rosberg, as much as a good person he is, by his move he placed Merc in slightly challenging position, and if Torger thought he will sit on couch and drink his favorite wine, now he has to get back into office - ha ha.

Lauda just wants to b@m around instead of doing work. Might as well retire if he just wanna slack around...

58 minutes ago, radical-one said:

Lauda just wants to b@m around instead of doing work. Might as well retire if he just wanna slack around...

Hey, I got tangible taste myself how Japanese efficiency works, and Lauda is seen as redundant and should be removed, but in reality I think he does his job actually pretty well. Like Dr. Marko at RBR, he too acts as a buffer between mother ship (Stuttgart) and the F1 body, so they can work undisturbed. Ross Brawn and Norbert Haug were slowed down by daily, inquisitive calls from various people in Germany. Lauda is the one who takes heat of the team. I wish Ferrari would have someone like that on payroll.

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

Hey, I got tangible taste myself how Japanese efficiency works, and Lauda is seen as redundant and should be removed, but in reality I think he does his job actually pretty well. Like Dr. Marko at RBR, he too acts as a buffer between mother ship (Stuttgart) and the F1 body, so they can work undisturbed. Ross Brawn and Norbert Haug were slowed down by daily, inquisitive calls from various people in Germany. Lauda is the one who takes heat of the team. I wish Ferrari would have someone like that on payroll.

Ferrari has someone already, his name is  Maurizio Arrivabene :D:P

Newest trend in managing an F1 team, driven by complexities of the sport, and which is being pioneered by Mercedes, is to distribute leadership responsibilities to several individuals. Technical and race activities (Lowe), commercial, PR, principle team leadership and advertising (Wolff), steering representation of the team principal ownership (Lauda). This seems to work for them.  MA unfortunately is carrying mantle himself, having 800 lbs gorilla crossing his path here and there, which could be, I imagine, little annoying. You do not see Dr. Zetsche running through the premises, and advising staff on what to do. There is no need for him to do so, because competent individuals performing that job well for his organization. Having said that, Lowe, who has been identified as top level for driver's control during a race event, has not managed to have drivers under control. I think it was messy. 

57 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Totos-Phone-e1480942147400-239x300.jpg

Wolff's "handy"...self explanatory.

Either photoshoped or out of context. First, there is no benefit for Wolff to make this information public (if real). Second, there is no reason for Alonso to pester anyone with stalker like behavior.

Heck, in the large context of the Mercedes non-existent, make-believe "driver crisis", Alonso's interest is ultimately more strategic than real. It is a case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't", that is, showing no interest could be misconstrued as fearing to take Hamilton on, while showing an interest needs not lead to anything whatsoever other than that, countering the first option.

Mercedes dawdling on the topic is already getting old and tedious. Those guys are attention junkies.

17 minutes ago, maure said:

Either photoshoped or out of context. First, there is no benefit for Wolff to make this information public (if real). Second, there is no reason for Alonso to pester anyone with stalker like behavior.

Heck, in the large context of the Mercedes non-existent, make-believe "driver crisis", Alonso's interest is ultimately more strategic than real. It is a case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't", that is, showing no interest could be misconstrued as fearing to take Hamilton on, while showing an interest needs not lead to anything whatsoever other than that, countering the first option.

Mercedes dawdling on the topic is already getting old and tedious. Those guys are attention junkies.

If the snapshot is photoshopped or not, I do not know, but it appears (as reported by several independent sources), Wolff is already annoyed by being put under pressure to make the decision quickly. Today was a first working day for them to address drivers issue. Topic in headlines who will replace NR, I believe, is not as much driven by Mercedes, but by media. News day is slow, and many have their own preferences. Lauda thinks the decision will be announced before Holliday season this month.

Here.

Lewis Hamilton does not have a clause in his contract requiring him to approve his new Mercedes team-mate, but is willing to help evaluate potential candidates.

..."I know a lot of the other drivers - Sebastian [Vettel], Fernando [Alonso] - make sure that is in their contracts. I’ve just always asked to have equal rights so as long as we’re treated fairly it doesn’t really matter who is alongside me. We’ve got great team bosses who I am sure will choose the right people to be represent the brand.”

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/590172/No_teammate_clause_in_Hamilton_contract/

Hamilton knows what is in Vettel's and Alonso's contracts? Strange.

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

Hamilton knows what is in Vettel's and Alonso's contracts? Strange.

It is a small incestuous community....and people talk. Would not be surprised if Vettel and Alonso had clauses like that in their contracts....and would not be surprised if Hamilton knew. But.....it could all be incorrect. The only thing we know for certain is that Hamilton does not have such a clause (assuming he is telling the truth).

On the other hand....it might explain why the widely rumored move of Bottas to Ferrari did not occur, and why Kimi stayed.

2 hours ago, Ruslan said:

It is a small incestuous community....and people talk. Would not be surprised if Vettel and Alonso had clauses like that in their contracts....and would not be surprised if Hamilton knew. But.....it could all be incorrect. The only thing we know for certain is that Hamilton does not have such a clause (assuming he is telling the truth).

On the other hand....it might explain why the widely rumored move of Bottas to Ferrari did not occur, and why Kimi stayed.

There is no way fernando or any driver would personally contact toto like this. His managers or lawyers would.

6 hours ago, Sakae said:

If the snapshot is photoshopped or not, I do not know, but it appears (as reported by several independent sources), Wolff is already annoyed by being put under pressure to make the decision quickly. Today was a first working day for them to address drivers issue. Topic in headlines who will replace NR, I believe, is not as much driven by Mercedes, but by media. News day is slow, and many have their own preferences. Lauda thinks the decision will be announced before Holliday season this month.

Here.

Annoyed? Think it over.

Besides, as someone said, the negotiations are neither Wolff's nor the drivers' work to do.

The nail in F1's coffin, imo, is that it is a show first and a competition last. And in this show, advertisement is the sole motivation. Mercedes, Ferrari, etc are here to sell cars while RB/TR to sell intestinal lubricant. The media is their conduit for this commercialization. So, as I see it, Rosberg decision has given Mercedes even more exposure and, while Lauda or Wolff might btch, they make sure to call a press conference to do it.

Well Lauda has said rosbergs retiremt has embarrassed the team and left them in a difficult situation. I admire Nikki but this is one comment of his I found abit rude and disrespectful.

6 hours ago, maure said:

Annoyed? Think it over.

Besides, as someone said, the negotiations are neither Wolff's nor the drivers' work to do.

The nail in F1's coffin, imo, is that it is a show first and a competition last. And in this show, advertisement is the sole motivation. Mercedes, Ferrari, etc are here to sell cars while RB/TR to sell intestinal lubricant. The media is their conduit for this commercialization. So, as I see it, Rosberg decision has given Mercedes even more exposure and, while Lauda or Wolff might btch, they make sure to call a press conference to do it.

Right as you may be, it seems that you have adopted rather (forgive me) a cynical point of view, that there is not a such thing as a bad publicity. Not everyone in Stuttgart would however espouse such position, I assure you. Attention massed by Merc, I think, is merely consequential to Hamilton being British, just as most of paddock media are British, and therefore we should not be surprised, when Hamilton yawns, they are all over him and his handlers. He is their boy. Especially now, when news days are slow. Departure of Rosberg is seen potentially as weakening team's supremacy on the grid, thus speculation who will replace Nico might shuffle grid next season little bit, so it is a change which merits as news, whether someone called press conference or media just stuck their microphones into someone's face, like it or not. Lauda could be more tactful with his comments, I fully agree with that, however he is saying merely what others are probably thinking. Nico, bless him, telling his team as late as in December that he is leaving caught them with their pants down, so I have some understanding of the situation in their front office. Loosing potentially WCC to RBR or Ferrari in forthcoming season, with all that coin going with it, must have created some really lovely comments in team's financial office. Finally, I would be also not surprised to learn if Lauda and Wolff took some heat from mother ship for not being prepared to mitigate risk of this kind (denotes not understanding Rosberg's state of mind, and having plan B in place).  

Another possibility that I forgot to mention above would Checo PEREZ. Perez can be a hard hearthed SOB that could give a hard time to Lewis.

Would be a good matchup I think.