Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

radical-one

Who will replace ROSBERG ?

It is a possibility, just because Massa has agreed to race doesn't mean he will. He could just be a "plan b" if Bottas does go. But it could be a possibility that the man that everyone has paid least attention to in the "musical chair" phase gets the seat and that being Jenson. He said all year he would not retire if the car or he gets a competitive car and with Dennis now gone, his 2018 contract could be wavered in the possibility to join Mercedes. Certainly lots to concider but I know Ricciardo and verstappen are locked in tight at redbull so there out, so realistically it comes down to werhlein,Bottas and button doesn't it? Actually the more you think about it, Jenson is a real strong chance as I beleive most personnel from the brawn days are still there and if Mercedes looks at it, his transition into the team would be a lot smoother than Bottas or werhlein as button knows how most of them work.

I don'tr feel/think that Jenson has got a shot at Merc. He didn't show strong passion last season. Just my own feeling.

Bottas is clearly there first choice that's why they have presented a number of options to Williams including vastly discounted power units for next season.

6 hours ago, radical-one said:

I don'tr feel/think that Jenson has got a shot at Merc. He didn't show strong passion last season. Just my own feeling.

Neither would you in an underpowered cow cart. Same goes for Nando.

Mclaren actually had some pace towards the end of the season. There engine improved dramatically.

2 hours ago, Insider said:

Neither would you in an underpowered cow cart. Same goes for Nando.

Don't me wrong, I'm not saying Jenson is no good, but I think 1. He over did his Playboyness and ran out of energy for racing, and 2. It's father time. He fits retirement. 

10 minutes ago, Emmcee said:

Mclaren actually had some pace towards the end of the season. There engine improved dramatically.

But not his performance. 

Surprise!

Wolff is reportedly a man with massive bank account (400 MM+?), thus I am not sure why he would still need Bottas (and possibly controversy) to pay for his meals. Maybe it is greed, maybe something else, but if so, I do not see it.

Sources in Spain report that Williams is pushing for the German marque to reduce its engine bill to zero, in exchange for Finn Bottas’ eleventh-hour release.
Read more at http://www.thisisf1.com/2016/12/27/wolff-bottas-a-possibility-to-replace-rosberg-at-Mercedes/#fqgArOLiIvutAtOJ.99

In my recall lowest price tag (published) offered by engine manufacturers was 12 MM EUR per unit, yet here Williams wants freebies whilst offering to Massa peanuts and bread crumbs? (Fig 6 MM was quoted about a week ago).

Est. deal would cost - 5 engines per season x12 MM = 60 MM EUR for Bottas. 

Strategically, one should think, there will be huge and detrimental ripple effect. Mercedes perhaps ought think twice to set this kind of precedent, because once it is done, blackmailing simply will continue, and greed growth gets really out of control. (You did this for them, you can do this for me). The suggestion of a such deal is however so outrages, it raises question of credibility. It would be not first time when "Spanish sources" got ahead of themselves. 

Iam not sure about that but it drivers in the past have been brought out of contracts anyway so they mean nothing more than the paper there written on IMO.

Contracts could be bought out. When last CA was negotiated with FOM on behalf CVC, I doubt that teams were all told that Liberty will be a new commercial rights owner. Until 2020 framework is already set, however new CA may, or may not be accepted by current teams. Renault is I think the only team which might be committed already up to 2022 (or thereabout).

Trickery is already underway and blossoming. 

Hmmmm interesting indeed. Thanks for the link sakae, what's your take? I've said the deal was done as soon as the massa talks were underway.

My opinion is only as good as article I read, and over the years Lessons Learned are, they all lack credibility. I guess in January we will know. Pascal is in Plan B, so much is safe to say, because if he was a prime choice, we would have a decision rendered long time ago.  

Latest dribble suggests, that Massa hasn't agreed yet with the conditions of his return to Williams. Bottas meanwhile will be not participating with Williams in forthcoming social events. His absence however might not mean anything because he has done the same a few times already.

Fact is, I am confused, because on one hand people do suggest that Massa is not returning, Bottas is therefore stuck with Williams, Rosberg is not in training for February testing, and Pascal meanwhile was let go by Merc to Sauber. This all together makes no sense. I have nothing on Button, but no one is talking about him. I am hoping this is not one big scam to keep us talking about a brand, day in, day out.

You are probably right Sakae. Williams wants to hold on. They need exposure to attract more attention or even sponsors lol

Silence on replacement is overwhelming, and hard to explain in rational terms. Bottas meanwhile is in physical training, thus I gather he thinks that he has a job secured with somebody. Instead breathing heavily over Palmer twice every day, it would be nice if media reported whether Massa is training as well, or laying on the beach somewhere.  

Some people live complicated life.

> Lowe --> Williams, part of the negotiations

> Mercedes is refusing to be blackmailed

> Massa has to agreed to come back and drive for Williams

Bottom line - the deal seems not finalized, however I am slightly lost as to if not Bottas, then who else? I wonder of Wehrlein's seat with Sauber has a condition attached, and him driving there is predicated on a deal with Bottas goes ahead.

Sakae, we know Merc fronted by Toto and Lauda are arrogant, but maybe not completely and utterly stupid. When it comes to Lewis, yes they are, but for the 2nd seat, surely surely they have a plan if the Bottas deal doesn't eventuate right!? Pascal has to be the fall back plan, unless they drop some cash and somehow get Button. I'm not sure to be honest Lewis would like that idea.

Williams are no longer a smart team. They've lost quite a few members from their team and Claire is ineffectual and inexperienced. Lowe going to Williams would be fantastic, but I still am not sure why he wouldn't stay at Merc unless he's also feeling the knife in the back coming like what happened to Brawn. Why would Merc not want to keep him? Maybe it's just a negotiation tactic and Lowe will get an improved contract to stay at Merc. Why he'd want to actually go to Williams is beyond me. Maybe back to McLaren to lead that team... that would make sense. Off to Ferrari maybe, but Sergio is a total nut, so best to avoid going there.

As for Sauber, they can get any driver who doesn't have a seat, so I very much doubt they are worrying too much. Guiterrez would be an option, and then add in Nasr, Sutil, JEV, and the usual list of suspects who have lost their seats these past few years... how about even Massa himself at Sauber! If Bottas doesn't move, and Pascal gets the seat at Merc, and Massa has been gearing up mentally and physically to not retire, he might welcome the chance. He'd be as good an option as the ones I've mentioned.

I'm enjoying this delay actually as I'm dreading seeing the news flashes about Bottas confirmed at Merc.