Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

radical-one

Who will replace ROSBERG ?

6 hours ago, Emmcee said:

Well Lauda has said rosbergs retiremt has embarrassed the team and left them in a difficult situation. I admire Nikki but this is one comment of his I found abit rude and disrespectful.

Lauda's words are disproportionate considering the full plate of sht Hamilton has had them eat the entire year... a since he has gotten away with it all, the banquet of feces that they are going to continue to enjoy.

44 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Right as you may be, it seems that you have adopted rather (forgive me) a cynical point of view, that there is not a such thing as a bad publicity. Not everyone in Stuttgart would however espouse such position, I assure you. Attention massed by Merc, I think, is merely consequential to Hamilton being British, just as most of paddock media are British, and therefore we should not be surprised, when Hamilton yawns, they are all over him and his handlers. He is their boy. Especially now, when news days are slow. Departure of Rosberg is seen potentially as weakening team's supremacy on the grid, thus speculation who will replace Nico might shuffle grid next season little bit, so it is a change which merits as news, whether someone called press conference or media just stuck their microphones into someone's face, like it or not. Lauda could be more tactful with his comments, I fully agree with that, however he is saying merely what others are probably thinking. Nico, bless him, telling his team as late as in December that he is leaving caught them with their pants down, so I have some understanding of the situation in their front office. Loosing potentially WCC to RBR or Ferrari in forthcoming season, with all that coin going with it, must have created some really lovely comments in team's financial office. Finally, I would be also not surprised to learn if Lauda and Wolff took some heat from mother ship for not being prepared to mitigate risk of this kind (denotes not understanding Rosberg's state of mind, and having plan B in place).  

I hear you and raise you an additional bit of cynicism on that comment regarding most of the media being British. Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that the official F1 press is British?

Jokes aside, I was not saying that the situation does not call for a press conference. My observation is about running one's mouth as if any utterance merits hearing. It appears to me like a call for attention in order to restate their current prominence in the field and, considering that it is at the expense of Rosberg, a whoring of the situation.

Let's see what the honchos at corporate decide to do with the opportunity. It will say a lot regarding their purpose in F1.

I am not optimistic.

@maure  Mercedes has long and respectable racing heritage exceeding history what's now called the F1, but I think you know that. Their goals are not that secret, and as a VP of brand promotion stated some time ago, paraphrasing, F1 offers one of the most effective and least expensive advertising, and technology development platforms, so, rhetorically speaking, why not use it? 

They will leave the F1 when failure, rather then success becomes newsworthy. They will continue to race in another series, and come back later, if F1 actually survives that long.[1] Mercedes will honor commitment which is to carry on until 2020, however no one knows what's beyond. Renault is probably the sole entity currently on the grid committed to race until 2022, if my memory serves me.

E-series is now in shadows, but ready to pounce as an escape from wilderness.

[1] Audi has done something similar just recently, because a single brand domination was reaching point of saturation, and campaign became counterproductive.

On 12/5/2016 at 3:14 AM, radical-one said:

Seems like Pascal has got a goo chance ! :beer22: :clap3:

Toto Wolff has admitted that recruiting a big-name driver to replace retired Formula 1 champion Nico Rosberg at Mercedes is not his preferred option.

That probably means it is and we are probably talking Alonso. That may put JB in the new Honda for a 'test' season which may suit McLaren.

I heard quite the opposite in an actual interview. Toto said that when looking for a replacement you have to concider alonso. He claims the spaniard has speed,experience and just about everything he looks in a racing driver all rolled into one. Then goes on about that alonso is in a contract with mclaren but also says that doesn't stop them thinking about it. So I don't know what that means.

Maybe for smaller teams yes, but teams like Mercedes and Ferrari they don't need the extra hype. I remember for the second half of 1995 when people knew Schumacher was on his way to Ferrari, Ferrari kept flat out denying it right up until basically Schumacher was driving the car in pre season testing. Ferrari even had a lawyer type up a legal document to release to the media to swear it was untrue, yet he well and truly had his bags packed for maranello. I hope alonso doesn't go to Mercedes as I will loose alot of respect for him if he does but then I think of this exact scenario I was talking about and wonder why Mercedes would even mention it.

You might be in for a disappointment. Hamilton is already freaking out and some of the English media are already hating on Alonso.

It's this bizarre "thing" that F1 has become.

We are forced to swallow FOUR consecutive years of the coming of christ himself in the body of Vettel to then see him destroyed by Ricciardo. I just doesn't add up. Vettel then rushes off to Ferrari where he is driving just about like everyone else on the grid would with that car.

But we are not supposed to say... WTF.

And now Mercedes produces the supercar and Hamilton becomes a THREE time world champion to then lose to Rosberg. What? Come again? And not just lose, the three-time world champion loses while accusing the team of sabotaging his car and calling on the media to fabricate a lynching on his teammate (like in 2014) because, you known, three-time world champions require that kind of help.

But we are not supposed to say... WTF.

Kimi, my man, got lost somewhere along the way and no one is waiting for him... for him or Button, that we all think is a great chum, but got his crown on another supercar.

And that's the grid. Packed with "world champions".

Presumably, Mercedes will make the best decision for them, which does not mean it will be the best for F1 or the fans. On the bright side, the "F1 thing" cannot be more surreal.

9 hours ago, Insider said:

That probably means it is and we are probably talking Alonso. That may put JB in the new Honda for a 'test' season which may suit McLaren.

Yep maybe Alonso is that only one that can neutralize Lewis' primadonaness with his own stubborness.

Alonso can be a drama queen himself so now Merc will have an even bigger headache :scarf: a good solution to Wolf's driver problem LOL :clap3:

Go for it Toto and i will enjoy watching on the side seeing Toto getting a hummer and hitting himself with it LOL !!:yahoo:

Should we believe what't written on this very active topic, Merc might be experiencing massive internal conflict in management ranks regarding names which should be on a short list. Engineers and pit-wall employees were consulted, but ultimately it is up to Wolff and Lauda, who will be hired (and is available). Lauda is proposing to go after a proven "big name" driver which may, or may not necessarily include Alonso, whereas Wolff seems to prefer Pascal. Before Christmas break we should know. Alonso is actually not in a such good standing with Mercedes people due to his past, which is all a matter of record, and while it means very little to his fans, it means something to others who have long memory. We will see soon how "desperate" Merc is to get him.

From frontrunners, Alonso may have actually greatest chances to get out of his contract with McLaren. I heard from someone who writes legal contracts for living, that every well written contract addresses all likely scenarios, therefore (under)performance clause must be defined in his papers as well, just as one can also believe that it is not merely one-sided text in favor of MacLaren only. Underperformance of McLaren's car to-date could get him off the hook. 

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

Should we believe what't written on this very active topic, Merc might be experiencing massive internal conflict in management ranks regarding names which should be on a short list. Engineers and pit-wall employees were consulted, but ultimately it is up to Wolff and Lauda, who will be hired (and is available). Lauda is proposing to go after a proven "big name" driver which may, or may not necessarily include Alonso, whereas Wolff seems to prefer Pascal. Before Christmas break we should know. Alonso is actually not in a such good standing with Mercedes people due to his past, which is all a matter of record, and while it means very little to his fans, it means something to others who have long memory. We will see soon how "desperate" Merc is to get him.

From frontrunners, Alonso may have actually greatest chances to get out of his contract with McLaren. I heard from someone who writes legal contracts for living, that every well written contract addresses all likely scenarios, therefore (under)performance clause must be defined in his papers as well, just as one can also believe that it is not merely one-sided text in favor of MacLaren only. Underperformance of McLaren's car to-date could get him off the hook. 

On a more serious scenario I agree with you Sakae.

5 hours ago, maure said:

You might be in for a disappointment. Hamilton is already freaking out and some of the English media are already hating on Alonso.

It's this bizarre "thing" that F1 has become.

We are forced to swallow FOUR consecutive years of the coming of christ himself in the body of Vettel to then see him destroyed by Ricciardo. I just doesn't add up. Vettel then rushes off to Ferrari where he is driving just about like everyone else on the grid would with that car.

But we are not supposed to say... WTF.

And now Mercedes produces the supercar and Hamilton becomes a THREE time world champion to then lose to Rosberg. What? Come again? And not just lose, the three-time world champion loses while accusing the team of sabotaging his car and calling on the media to fabricate a lynching on his teammate (like in 2014) because, you known, three-time world champions require that kind of help.

Kimi, my man, got lost somewhere along the way and no one is waiting for him... for him or Button, that we all think is a great chum, but got his crown on another supercar.

And that's the grid. Packed with "world champions".

Presumably, Mercedes will make the best decision for them, which does not mean it will be the best for F1 or the fans. On the bright side, the "F1 thing" cannot be more surreal.

Yeah good post and I agree for the most part but onto kimi. Hasn't he gone unnoticed this year and yet he drove brilliantly. IMO sometimes even better than the two Mercedes boys and Iam not much of a kimi fan. He goes unnoticed basically and he was more than a match for Seb this year.

7 hours ago, maure said:

End of 2015 after losing last three races in succession he has already accused Mercedes that Nico had "a better setup" than him, a reason why he lost, yet no one accused him of whining. Recently he threatened Merc yet again on public display that one day he will write a book and "tell all on them". 

Jenson to Merc . Good choice to win the WDC and WCC

Alonso in a faster Mclaren

Lewis in a faster Merc

Max and Ricci in a faster Bulls

Oh boy we are in for a show!!!!

19 minutes ago, Master of his game said:

Jenson to Merc . Good choice to win the WDC and WCC

Alonso in a faster Mclaren

Lewis in a faster Merc

Max and Ricci in a faster Bulls

Oh boy we are in for a show!!!!

Lol not biased are we? Lol

7 hours ago, radical-one said:

On a more serious scenario I agree with you Sakae.

Bottas, Alonso. Names in headlines as on a short list. 

Wolff - I wish Pascal would get some experience in mid field car first, distancing himself from his protege. (However how is he supposed to get that experience when no one hires him?)

13 hours ago, Sakae said:

Alonso is actually not in a such good standing with Mercedes people due to his past, which is all a matter of record...

Show the record. Not conjecture but the record.

11 hours ago, Emmcee said:

Yeah good post and I agree for the most part but onto kimi. Hasn't he gone unnoticed this year and yet he drove brilliantly. IMO sometimes even better than the two Mercedes boys and Iam not much of a kimi fan. He goes unnoticed basically and he was more than a match for Seb this year.

I know. Kimi is my guy and I listen when my friends speak of him. But Vettel is no comparison and it's impossible to tell where Ferrari really was.

10 hours ago, Sakae said:

End of 2015 after losing last three races in succession he has already accused Mercedes that Nico had "a better setup" than him, a reason why he lost, yet no one accused him of whining. Recently he threatened Merc yet again on public display that one day he will write a book and "tell all on them". 

Yep. The last few seasons, I've only followed vicariously through my engineer buddies (you know Nagoya), but I got the feeling that a rift has been created between Hamilton and his always fanatically faithful media bodyguards. Wasn't there a Hamilton-media showdown some races ago because his pundits at Sky (or whatever) dismissed his charge of sabotage?

I tell you what, if Pascal Wehlein doesn't get the Mercedes seat and is turned over by FA or someone else he should kiss the dream goodbye and look elsewhere. Verstappen has proven experience doesn't mean everything. Hamilton himself came into F1 with ZERO F1 experience and lost the title by a single point. PW knows how to win titles. He knows how F1 works having had two seasons with Manor. Likewise for Sainz, if I were him I'd be looking outside of the RB family. There's no room for him there despite being a highly promising driver. The only difference being RB have at least kept true to their policy of promoting TR drivers. If Mercedes look consider 'external outsourcing' then what is the point of having a driver development program at all.

Just now, Unknown? said:

I tell you what, if Pascal Wehlein doesn't get the Mercedes seat and is turned over by FA or someone else he should kiss the dream goodbye and look elsewhere. Verstappen has proven experience doesn't mean everything. Hamilton himself came into F1 with ZERO F1 experience and lost the title by a single point. PW knows how to win titles. He knows how F1 works having had two seasons with Manor. Likewise for Sainz, if I were him I'd be looking outside of the RB family. There's no room for him there despite being a highly promising driver. The only difference being RB have at least kept true to their policy of promoting TR drivers. If Mercedes look consider 'external outsourcing' then what is the point of having a driver development program at all.

Additionally on PW, he's been turned over by Ocon going to Force India, despite (from what I've seen) PW having the beating or (at the very least) matching of either of his teammates. It's now or never for him in terms of a works Mercedes drive and I'd be banging on the door if it were me.

@maure I have lost count over Hamilton's adventures and his fights with his internal demons, media, father, girlfriends, management, or his teammate. It was never that much interesting for me anyway, and we return to this topic only when someone on the forum sings Ode to Joy over his greatness and purity of his character as contrasting values over evil Vettel. It might be redundant to point out, having taken into consideration contextually adjusted Hamilton's statistics, I am in doubts as far as his professional greatness is concerned, never-mind "purity" of his character. But then, I live outside of mainstream opinions my whole life.

6 hours ago, Master of his game said:

Definitely not!!. Button is not too old to retire. He has to come back. He has beaten lewis before and he would again!!!

Oh I certainly agree, he is such an under estimated driver. But I don't think he would immediately beat Lewis this time. It's a different Lewis and IMO I don't think they would work as smoothly like before because of how Lewis's attitude has changed. Once he got used to his surroundings and new team he would be right with Lewis but not right away.

9 minutes ago, Unknown? said:

Sainz might be best choice for Mercedes IMO. Difference between MV and Pascal exists in pounding actual track experience. We should not ignore that TR was a good preparation for RBR, whereas Manor might not be equal training grounds for the Mercedes seat.

I wouldn't begrudge Sainz the seat at all - I think he's a quality driver and will never fulfill his potential under MV's shadow which he'll inevitably be IF he ever gets the big call up to Red Bull. For PW though.. you're next in line in the Mercedes program, a newbie is put in front of you up the grid, you have the credentials, you have the record against your teammates. Yes, he only has one season at a back marking team (at which, let's not forget he scored points), but his experience is questioned when he's considered against a guy who lost the title by a single point in his debut year? In F1 you have it or you don't. For me, if Mercedes turn him over again and send him to Sauber with a year old power unit next year he can kiss his career goodbye. He'd be better off staying at Manor and looking at KR's seat at Ferrari or FA's at McClaren the next year.

That whole FI and Ocon situation has now made abit more sense to me. Is it possible that Mercedes had some hint that one of there drivers would leave or that Nico would retire if he wins the title. Could that be the reason Ocon was moved to FI instead of werhlein? Sauber talks for werhlein have been cut of ATM suggesting Mercedes have quietly made there decision already.