Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

radical-one

Who will replace ROSBERG ?

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

@maure I have lost count over Hamilton's adventures and his fights with his internal demons, media, father, girlfriends, management, or his teammate. It was never that much interesting for me anyway, and we return to this topic only when someone on the forum sings Ode to Joy over his greatness and purity of his character as contrasting values over evil Vettel. It might be redundant to point out, having taken into consideration contextually adjusted Hamilton's statistics, I am in doubts as far as his professional greatness is concerned, never-mind "purity" of his character. But then, I live outside of mainstream opinions my whole life.

Your post mentioned Alonso's record so I asked after it.

I'm with you on Hamilton.

2 hours ago, Emmcee said:

Oh I certainly agree, he is such an under estimated driver. But I don't think he would immediately beat Lewis this time. It's a different Lewis and IMO I don't think they would work as smoothly like before because of how Lewis's attitude has changed. Once he got used to his surroundings and new team he would be right with Lewis but not right away.

Hamilton has home advantage... even if he has trashed the place.

2 hours ago, Sakae said:

Sainz might be best choice for Mercedes IMO. Difference between MV and Pascal exists in pounding actual track experience. We should not ignore that TR was a good preparation for RBR, whereas Manor might not be equal training grounds for the Mercedes seat.

I too think Sainz is a better choice, for him and for Mercedes. RB is screwing with Sainz and Mercedes should be able to handle pairing him with Hamilton.

Again, having said that, if  PW is not first in line, what's the point of Mercede's "program"?

Hamilton had home advantage at mclaren to and jenson beat him there, but Lewis isn't the same driver as before. I agree with you on PW and if he doesn't get his shot now his career is screwed. Mercedes won't let another rival team like RB or Ferrari take him if they ever showed interest so IMO they have to give it to him. Or he will turn into another hulkenberg, a driver who deserves so much more than he gets.

Rumour has it that schumi jr has or is about to join the Mercedes driver program. Are they "grooming" him to eventually replace Lewis?

If Wehrlein gets screwed, why would any other driver take them up. The Hamilton situation, though, is a separate matter. Whatever reasons got him and keep him there are messy.

Lol and you look at how much drivers like Hamilton get paid and then you got Ricciardo who earns not even a third of what Hamilton does and yet he could beat him in the same car. Good bloody value IMO.

5 hours ago, maure said:

Again, having said that, if  PW is not first in line, what's the point of Mercede's "program"?

Similar situation exists at Ferrari. I think situation with RB is different, because they have two active teams on the track. (Thorn in my side). Mercedes and Ferrari have development of their junior drivers in mercy of other, and not always best, teams. Take Manor FFS and compare it to TR. Ferrari purportedly was very close to turn lights off on their junior academy, but for some hard to understand reason they do carry on, yet I am highly doubtful when time comes and Seb and Kimi retire, that drivers from junior academy will take their seats. 

Yeah agree and the only one that comes to mind if the did that was Jules Bianchi. But still, would've he got kimis seat instead of extending kimis contract last year? It's doubtful.

The programs are fine, the paddock is not. F1 has to narrow a field and needs a faster turnaround. I mean, what did Massa have to offer after 3 seasons in? It's just one example.

After the fourth season he was winning races. A lot sooner than say mika hakkinen and yet mika was a way better driver. It's all down to how f1 has changed in the sense it's not about earning your position anymore. It's about who can be marketed the best to the public.

1 hour ago, maure said:

The programs are fine, the paddock is not. F1 has to narrow a field and needs a faster turnaround. I mean, what did Massa have to offer after 3 seasons in? It's just one example.

Isn't this how RB runs TR? To get in means to have door wide open (assuming one doesn't sign some silly slave like contract), but if one does not perform, than they wave you off. Shelf life is quite short with TR.

8 hours ago, maure said:

Hamilton has home advantage... even if he has trashed the place.

I too think Sainz is a better choice, for him and for Mercedes. RB is screwing with Sainz and Mercedes should be able to handle pairing him with Hamilton.

Sainz would be hungry to settle his personal score with MV. That could juice up the situation quite well. Problem is that RB and Merc are at odds over engine related incident, thus to get Sainz out of TR, FOM and/or JT would have to play intermediaries.

4 hours ago, Emmcee said:

Rumour has it that schumi jr has or is about to join the Mercedes driver program. Are they "grooming" him to eventually replace Lewis?

I hope so

1 hour ago, Emmcee said:

After the fourth season he was winning races. A lot sooner than say mika hakkinen and yet mika was a way better driver. It's all down to how f1 has changed in the sense it's not about earning your position anymore. It's about who can be marketed the best to the public.

I meant 3 seasons in Ferrari... and was the car not up to those wins? His best year was 2008 when Kimi got 10 fastest laps. Massa had a good manager. He didn't deserve that seat, imo.

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

Isn't this how RB runs TR? To get in means to have door wide open (assuming one doesn't sign some silly slave like contract), but if one does not perform, than they wave you off. Shelf life is quite short with TR.

It one of the few things I like about that outfit.

44 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Sainz would be hungry to settle his personal score with MV. That could juice up the situation quite well. Problem is that RB and Merc are at odds over engine related incident, thus to get Sainz out of TR, FOM and/or JT would have to play intermediaries.

There is that.

I meant 3 seasons in Ferrari... and was the car not up to those wins? His best year was 2008 when Kimi got 10 fastest laps. Massa had a good manager. He didn't deserve that seat, imo

well that's on personal opinion, IMO to say he didn't deserve the seat when he was theoretically world champion for 30 seconds is abit harsh.

Probably because they can't get alonso. He's contract with mclaren, especially with these huge reg changes coming in would be air tight as possible. Unless mclaren isn't paying him the right money or someone buys him out, he won't be going anywhere. Let's just say alonso went there, wouldn't that put mclaren in a tough position? Probably force jenson to come back as they are paying him anyway. Even if he honestly wants to retire and not come back. Otherwise you would have vandoorne and who developing a completely new car in new regs, so they would have to get the experience of a driver who has adapted to different reg changes before or they will be behind instead of improving. Makes for interesting brainstorming anyway.

7 hours ago, Quiet One said:

https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/2016/12/02/2016-model-based-driver-rankings/

This is why you can't put Alonso in a Merc. Show is rarely improved by giving the best driver the best car. I'd rather see him in a midfield Honda.

I agree. Button winning a second WDC or Perez winning a first would have the punters coming in droves.

10 hours ago, Emmcee said:

well that's on personal opinion, IMO to say he didn't deserve the seat when he was theoretically world champion for 30 seconds is abit harsh.

Sure it is in imo but consider that 2008 had 18 races and in only 6 did the contenders ended up sharing a podium. Why? Because 2008 was one of the worst seasons, competitive-wise in a long time. When one didn't crash, the other spun. Hamilton and Massa rarely raced each other and were hardly ever in the same camera shot. The icing on the cake of 2008 was when, in Brazil, Hamilton won the championship by luck having lost it on skill, all on the same last two laps.

7 hours ago, Quiet One said:

This is why you can't put Alonso in a Merc. Show is rarely improved by giving the best driver the best car. I'd rather see him in a midfield Honda.

Masochist.

That's a very good way of putting it actually and you are correct, how often did massa and Hamilton race wheel to wheel that year?

9 hours ago, Quiet One said:

Yeah, let him meander along for years looking for a 3rd championship and then retire. It was all a dream they say...

Btw, he's probably only the 4th best on the grid, he moved up since Rosberg retired

Why so naive? He did better than both kimi and Seb by in the time he was there. That's right it was only the car, designed for him only, well it worked, second in the championship 3 out of 5 seasons and top 3, 4 out 5. Yeah your right, no comparison lmao. Rosbergs results weren't much better and he had a vastly more dominant car at his disposal. But that's your opinion and I respect it.