Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

2017 Ferrari

Under ambient conditions at Bahrain track, both Ferraris suffered reliability related issues. What gave me a pause was reversal of what I normally hear from Seb, namely we have good race speed, and we need to improve qualy. This time its exactly opposite.

I am not sure what MB is doing, but Hamilton was taking it really in leisure way. Maybe that's a new strategy how to fool the red brigade.

Kimi appears down. He has been seen in the paddock on quite a few places while checking the floor. I do sort of understand him. He needs a good race to pick his spirit up.

be04be248b8099a13b9c4b04a157efad.jpg

When team say that has to talk to their driver then it means he isn't good enough.

Team has all the data and knows stuff.

Rumors are begging to pop up, that SF70H has been exclusively designed for Vettel. Both, Arriwabene and Marchionne rejected any of such notions, but almost no one believes them. From personal perspective it seems difficult to understand without talking to Kimi directly, what happened between testing in Barcelona, and when a season started. Kimi was just as comfortable with the car as Seb during pre-season, yet his form has been challenged in all three races. Race setup perhaps?  Reliability? This week testing is also not going too well for Seb either, as various issues hit the team at least opportune moment. 

20 April 2017,  18:02

Music to my ears: GPToday

“The Vettel factor can decide the world championship this year,” Vettel’s first F1 boss Gerhard Berger told Sport Bild.

The former F1 driver admitted he is surprised with Ferrari’s pace so far in 2017.

“I would have lost every bet before the season,” Berger smiled, “because I doubted that Ferrari would really beat Mercedes.”

Another of Vettel’s former chiefs, Dr Helmut Marko, agrees: “Sebastian is at one with his car.

“He is constantly on the limit, not making the smallest mistake and always knowing what to do. This is pure driving pleasure for him.

Unfortunately the season is constituted by twenty, rather then just three races. It is going to be looooong season for some of us.

Essence of watching the F1.

Frederic Vasseur - "What I like is competition, not the car, and the public wants a fight, not a performance".

ebastian Vettel has jumped to the defence of his teammate and friend Kimi Raikkonen.

Recently, amid speculation the Italian team might replace the Finn for 2018, Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne made disparaging comments about Raikkonen’s performance.

“You can find so many nonsense stories in newspapers and on the web,” Raikkonen said in Russia. “I trust much more how my personal relationship is with the team or with him, and for me it’s all fine.”

Indeed, championship leader Vettel also suggested Raikkonen remains strong within the Ferrari team.

“In contrast to the outside, I see exactly what is happening and that things have just not gone his way so far,” the German is quoted by the Finnish broadcaster MTV.

“I don’t think anyone in the paddock doubts that he is one of the most talented drivers,” he said.

Indeed, just a year ago Raikkonen was often outshining Vettel at Ferrari.

“It is up and down, but in general as the season progresses, the situation stabilises,” Vettel continued.

“I don’t think Kimi has had the races yet that he deserves.”

Vettel & Kimi are not glad with a question of La Gazzetta dello Sport’s journalist, during the post-qualifying press conference.

Vettel stormed to pole position for the Russian Grand Prix on Saturday, Ferrari ending a run of 18 poles for Mercedes, Raikkonen will start alongside with his team-mate from front-row of Russian GP.

Q: (Andrea Cremonesi – La Gazzetta dello Sport) To the two Ferrari drivers: the only negative – if you can say that it’s negative – point of this weekend is that you have to again change the turbocharger and it’s the third element. Do you believe that it will be an issue for the end of the season?

Kimi: You’re always very good to always find negative things about us.

Vettel: He’s Italian, he should be over the moon. Everybody in Italy I’m sure is very happy now and you’re the only Italian in the world that finds a reason to be negative. You should be ashamed.

Kimi: It’s a planned change and I’m sure we’ll be fine with it. Obviously I’ve had one failure that we will not be able to use but the others are still fine and we will run it as we want and they are there to be used and re-used whenever you feel like it.

Vettel: Maybe I think you will have a great chance to get a German passport because usually Germans always find a reason to complain. If there’s a hard time when you get back to Italy you’re welcome to Germany.

I've actually watched an interview with Arrivabene, in which a British reporter asked him about Kimi's performance to-date. Response received was calming and unntreathening. In a nutshell, I gather, team expects Kimi to be competitive once his setup gets resolved, which might be a case already in forthcoming race, if I may add.

Marchionne IMO actually has not made disparaging remarks, but asked team with TP leading the effort to sit down with Kimi, and help him out to sort out his issues. Today I think we could say - mission accomplished.

Sebastian was only fourth or fifth fastest car yesterday in terms of top speed in measured sectors, yet he qualified at the top. Obviously he is managing turns quite well, which was his strength in past years as well.

Mercedes owned track, and for this year still remains so. I am disappointed over race result, but it is not that bad. P2 is fine, but not make a habit of it. Seb must love Massa-man. Oh well...

Congrats to Scuderia for podium finish. Cheers. 

I have to congrats also to Bottas. He has done a fine job today. On this track his future looks solid.

Reading a few comments after race, it seems Seb is of opinion that the race was lost for him on the first lap, when Mercedes got into tow, which propelled him ahead. Not too many track have a such long straight right after start. It is something to think about when he said that race was decided right there.

Betting tables can turn quickly. From a distant fifth or even nine (rated by some self-appointed experts), Vettel is suddenly prime candidate for WDC 2017 and his fifth title, Hamilton is second. MB however still leads in WCC category. From personal perspective, I am not a betting man, however if I was, I would think that this is extremely risky for "investing" any big money into it. Race by race results appear unpredictable. I don't think it is as bad as roulette is, and front runners by the end of the day still will be there somewhere in top five, but one unfortunate slip on a kerb, dirty side of a track, or encounter with a wondering back-marker, and podium is lost in a blink of an eyelid. So much for safe bets.

EJ's crystal ball might need some dusting off, methinks. He is not always right, is he?

Former F1 team boss Eddie Jordan is certain Sebastian Vettel is in talks about a potential switch to Mercedes for 2018.

Eddie, the Druid and occasional Soothsayer of paddock news.

(Lauda) - I beg to differ: 

“Why should Vettel leave Ferrari now that he wins one race after another? It would be crazy,” He’s the best at the moment,” said the F1 legend.

“He is a straightforward guy who knows what he wants, knows how to get something and knows how to extract maximum performance. Just an incredible guy,” Lauda added

Ferrari success shows you can win without Newey - Massa

At last someone interjected some common sense after that freaking hysteria that swept paddock, media, and "expert" fans when Allison left the team. In retrospect, perhaps it was actually blessing that young engineers now can speak freely in language they understand. Where is now Briatore advising Maranello to move business to England? Where is Alonso with his prediction that McLaren will be the only team which will defeat Mercedes and will reach zenith - WDC/WCC - before anyone else? All of these people are suddenly quiet, hiding is shades. 

To be sure, I am not claiming that Ferrari will win anything this year, it's too early for conclusion of that kind, but to re-state obvious, Ferrari is competitive in the first part of the season, they have a good chance to make it in competitive field (very much genuine competition over what Hamilton had it for past 3 years), and without hiring or doing anything what was so nonsensically recommended on the side-lines. They are doing very well, and it is good for (some?) fans, just as F1 as whole. Defaming Vettel as being 9th best driver on the grid did not help, and the guy is moving well, and moving forward. Good stuff!

Hughes of SkySport published his view on comparative performance between frontrunners. Mercedes received a credit for occasional peak performance, whereas Ferrari for consistent performance on long run. Almost "the same" cars, says Hughes. I usually shy from such claims for simple reason, that I can sit here for hours and argue until I am blue in the face that there is no such thing as "the same" of anything. That would be valid in any team in comparative analysis between teammates.  

Back to Hamilton's and Vettel's performances in "the same" cars. One red, other one silver. Betting office has him and Vettel equal bet in the next race, only proving "keep hope alive" still works. 

My expectations for Spain - Ferrari, under normal conditions, will remain a podium contender, and unknown I think is only if there will be two red cars high, or only one. Kimi is back in the office, which is good.

How the world turns. (Russian GP, Planetf1)

Looks familiar? This is Palmer v. Grosjean, who was blamed by some British media, including Palmer, for the collision.

Vettel was not too long ago in very much similar position as Renault is in this situation, there was a contact (with one famous driver who dived in), and Vettel in a second became personae non gratae.

The old thought is coming back to me, that it is not too much important what happened in F1 races, but who is involved.

My argument in Seb's case was, that a driver on the inside diving in under late braking and high speed will have difficulty to follow contour of the track on the inside, thus it is not too smart to do it. I was shot down in flames that a driver can make it, if he has enough space. Well, it does not look that way now, does it?

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Joly

Vettel at Mercedes: signed and sealed says insider (allegedly Turrini)!

WRI2_00004636-118-725x500.jpg

Is picture worth thousand words? I seriously doubt that in this case. Seb is just chummy with almost everyone in the paddock. Never say never, but shaking hands with Lauda might help Vettel's later talks with Mr. Marchionne. There is nothing better like having upper hand in forthcoming negotiations. Facial expression however suggests this was a handshake - OK, I have to go, keep well.

Today:

"Of course they're talking with Vettel," said paddock sage Eddie Jordan. Turrini, who publishes on his Quotidiano blog in Italian, agrees. "It is no secret to anyone that after Rosberg's retirement, Mercedes contacted Seb," he said. "During the pre-season test in Barcelona, Niki Lauda told friends confidentially that Vettel has a pre-agreement with the Germans for next season."

I doubt that too.

GP247:

Lewis Hamilton’s future in Formula 1 has recently been subject of some speculation, new reports have emerged in Germany suggesting that the triple Formula 1 World Champion might be considering calling it quits when his contract runs out in at the end of 2018, if not earlier.

Where there is smoke there is fire? Well, Hamilton has some other interests, so much is known, and there is life after F1.

I think before the season Vettel might have thought about switching. but as the article pointed out, was caught out by Ferrari's strong pace this year. It's not a bad option to switch to Merc though, with Allison now at Merc. Merc is consistently at the sharp end of the field, even when RBR ruled, they were competitive.... I've always admired German engineering. So it's not all bad if he switches. The best driver on the grid will make the best package with any competitive car

1 hour ago, BradSpeedMan said:

I think before the season Vettel might have thought about switching. but as the article pointed out, was caught out by Ferrari's strong pace this year. It's not a bad option to switch to Merc though, with Allison now at Merc. Merc is consistently at the sharp end of the field, even when RBR ruled, they were competitive.... I've always admired German engineering. So it's not all bad if he switches. The best driver on the grid will make the best package with any competitive car

Upfront to reiterate, I do not believe that he would switch for more money, boredom, or whatever other trivial reasons. There are however some forces which could move him to switch. I do consider Marchionne as an unpredictable person, and he might not extend Vettel's contract. (Saving money could be his reasons for that, development of upgrades may falter, and the internal relationship might take nosedive, etc.)

Hamilton might decide to move to US and "do" his music. That guy looks bored right now, and him making a seat available through voluntary retirement, while Bottas stays, is not so far fetched. 

Interestingly there are some issues people do not want to talk about, despite its very much with us, and that is Brexit. Mercedes and Renault might find themselves in pretty strange situation. Parts flow could be affected, and so is movement by people. There is a lot of talk, but there aren't any certainties. From what I am reading, all EU automakers, including BMW and VW will be decreasing their activities in UK. Mercedes already went public with that. Japanese might do the same, claims Jp consultancy specializing in business in EU, which until now recommended UK as a base for doing business with EU. Japanese firms were advised by them to defer their decisions on any new investments in UK, thus some of those might stay, or leave when dust settles. Renault was asked about Nissan and there could be changes as well. I am not sure how that will (or will not) work, but moving to UK for a job right now might not be the smartest decision Vettel could make. Wolff said long time ago that teams in terms of origins of their employees have profile which is really heavily international. How Brexit will impact their ability to work there is unclear, and it will stay unclear, until this issue is negotiated and sealed. F1 might be affected. PU from Stuttgart to UK? Could be a problem. One thing is however certain. It will not be business as usual.