Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sakae

2017 Ferrari

1 hour ago, Sakae said:

Upfront to reiterate, I do not believe that he would switch for more money, boredom, or whatever other trivial reasons. There are however some forces which could move him to switch. I do consider Marchionne as an unpredictable person, and he might not extend Vettel's contract. (Saving money could be his reasons for that, development of upgrades may falter, and the internal relationship might take nosedive, etc.)

Hamilton might decide to move to US and "do" his music. That guy looks bored right now, and him making a seat available through voluntary retirement, while Bottas stays, is not so far fetched. 

Interestingly there are some issues people do not want to talk about, despite its very much with us, and that is Brexit. Mercedes and Renault might find themselves in pretty strange situation. Parts flow could be affected, and so is movement by people. There is a lot of talk, but there aren't any certainties. From what I am reading, all EU automakers, including BMW and VW will be decreasing their activities in UK. Mercedes already went public with that. Japanese might do the same, claims Jp consultancy specializing in business in EU, which until now recommended UK as a base for doing business with EU. Japanese firms were advised by them to defer their decisions on any new investments in UK, thus some of those might stay, or leave when dust settles. Renault was asked about Nissan and there could be changes as well. I am not sure how that will (or will not) work, but moving to UK for a job right now might not be the smartest decision Vettel could make. Wolff said long time ago that teams in terms of origins of their employees have profile which is really heavily international. How Brexit will impact their ability to work there is unclear, and it will stay unclear, until this issue is negotiated and sealed. F1 might be affected. PU from Stuttgart to UK? Could be a problem. One thing is however certain. It will not be business as usual. 

Interesting observations on the Brexit situation. What saves F1 however, is it being a global sport, there's still reputations and branding exposure on the line, it's still an opportunity for good marketing for their brands... despite the challenges it is facing

40 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Interesting observations on the Brexit situation. What saves F1 however, is it being a global sport, there's still reputations and branding exposure on the line, it's still an opportunity for good marketing for their brands... despite the challenges it is facing

Sorry to disagree Brad, but F1 is not global. It is UK based enterprise by massive weight of investments foreign companies made there. That's all at risk due to political decisions, especially if there is no agreement between two parties (hard Brexit). I can't see that anyone would be heroic enough to claim today, that nothing will change. Mercedes already stated that it will align with and protect EU interest, even if it damages their operations in UK. After 2020 F1 might be a series with some new faces, while old disappeared. I am sure some fans will applaud it, but I am rather in the other camp. We need stability, not a whirlpool. It all will be more expensive.

26 minutes ago, Sakae said:

Sorry to disagree Brad, but F1 is not global. It is UK based enterprise by massive weight of investments foreign companies made there. That's all at risk due to political decisions, especially if there is no agreement between two parties (hard Brexit). I can't see that anyone would be heroic enough to claim today, that nothing will change. Mercedes already stated that it will align with and protect EU interest, even if it damages their operations in UK. After 2020 F1 might be a series with some new faces, while old disappeared. I am sure some fans will applaud it, but I am rather in the other camp. We need stability, not a whirlpool. It all will be more expensive.

I'm sitting in South Africa and watch F1 on a pay channel, Supersport, who purchase rights from SkySports, yes a UK based channel. The point is, every country... and I understand your point of it having a UK based enterprise, but wherever they race, they benefit from the sport. It is known and enjoyed by a worldwide audience, supporting drivers from different countries

18 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

I'm sitting in South Africa and watch F1 on a pay channel, Supersport, who purchase rights from SkySports, yes a UK based channel. The point is, every country... and I understand your point of it having a UK based enterprise, but wherever they race, they benefit from the sport. It is known and enjoyed by a worldwide audience, supporting drivers from different countries

Right you are, but my concerns as expressed in my previous posts was about enterprise which designs, manufacture, and tests racing cars. There will be borders, tariffs, and many other non-value added roadblocks. PUs will be more expensive, not cheaper, unless they adopt normally aspirated engines. Many want that, but should we be interested what do people who invest money in this want? Can you have a racing series of 10 small teams and make billions as CVC made? I don't know, but my gut feeling is that probably not.

Regading Brexit I think that it's important to stress that under WTO rules car parts are not subject to levies. Some manufacturers are considering reducing their exposure to the UK for tax reasons 

Besides not all the circus is based in the UK, Sauber is in Swissland, Ferrari, Toto Rosso and (to a large extent) Haas are based in Italy

A racing car is built of about 80000 parts. I do not see Brexit rules at the border as smooth sailing at no cost added, and without times lost. Raw materials have to come from somewhere and they are not all available in England. Rules of post-Brexit life remain to be negotiated. Pain, a lot of pain is awaiting for all...

HR - will be all people Merc, RBR, Honda, or Renault employs allowed to work in UK without disruptions? Simple answer is, no one knows, and there are no guarantees. My friend's daughter has a Ph.D., works in biogenetic research in London for about 4 years, and she was already told to start packing and move back onto continent. Reason - not born in UK.

16 hours ago, Sakae said:

A racing car is built of about 80000 parts. I do not see Brexit rules at the border as smooth sailing at no cost added, and without times lost. Raw materials have to come from somewhere and they are not all available in England. Rules of post-Brexit life remain to be negotiated. Pain, a lot of pain is awaiting for all...

HR - will be all people Merc, RBR, Honda, or Renault employs allowed to work in UK without disruptions? Simple answer is, no one knows, and there are no guarantees. My friend's daughter has a Ph.D., works in biogenetic research in London for about 4 years, and she was already told to start packing and move back onto continent. Reason - not born in UK.

Sakae, rules post Brexit remasin to be negotiated for the financial sector, for free movement of people, etc, car parts won't be an issue since it's a matter dealt by WTO rules. One could argue that they will have to phisically pass a border but even now therer is a border between he UK and the rest of Europe (the UK is not part of the Schengen Area). What might change is that it will be more difficult for non-UK nationals to find work and have access to full workers' rights in the future, but I'm not sure that this is going to make much of a difference (and the story about your friend's daughter doesn't seem very logical to me as the UK government has already clearly said that every EU citizen who was legally in the UK at the date of the referendum can stay as long as they want). Other than that tax might be an issue

7 hours ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

...UK government has already clearly said that every EU citizen who was legally in the UK at the date of the referendum can stay as long as they want)...

On more substantive level to end this discussion, based on information available, I have serious doubt that at the end it will business as usual.  

12 hours ago, Publius Cornelius Scipio said:

so the UK will close down for business?

I am not a soothsayer, but I do assume trade will continue, however under different set of conditions, and not necessarily equal or better then it is now. (Very smart, isn't it?)

UK economy is about 80% centric in financial services in one town (which right now seems to be moving out or heavily scaling down their operations).  Some manufacturing will follow or will be scaled down as well. As stated earlier in this thread, I have watched Japanese investment advisors (for UK) to speak about what they are recommending to Jp companies, which is to hold back, wait, or even pull back. Macron ordered Renault/Nissan to review their plans and activities in UK and report back. German automakers came out and stated just a few days ago if they have to choose, their policies will protect EU interest first. Ford EU has warned British government what he expects from negotiations. Problem is, he wants after negotiations exactly what it is now. Operational cost will climb up.

It is hard to say how far that all will go. UK has no upper hand in this (contrary to some propaganda), but it is also true that Germany, for example, has no interest seeing UK self-destroy, regardless how hard they are trying. After Mr. Farage and Mrs. May are gone, there will be others who should not live in desolate wilderness, and we want to live as good neighbors.

If you have time, read this (unless you of course read it already). 

http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2017/01/economist-explains-4

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-families-poorer-bank-of-england-warning-food-prices-economy-uk-incomes-a7731336.html

Kimi and Minttu have a baby girl. Congratulation to him, and his wife. I am slightly puzzled why media are refusing address Minttu as Kimi's wife, and insisting on referring to her as his partner. Like partner in crime, partner in business, or a partner on a tennis court, and somewhere in that group is Minttu. Admittedly I could be perhaps out of touch with modern times.

This is not what Vettel's detractors want to hear.

Might help with Vettel's forthcoming contract negotiations. On the other hand, I am not sure that Seb has anything better lined up anyway. FOG might get involved discreetly behind the scene to keep him in Maranello as a better card for the F1 show, than for example have him involved as part of infighting duo in the Mercedes camp.

jm1628jy18.jpg

Charity game in Monaco. It certainly will be fun. Rosberg is playing, Hamilton is not. Seb certainly looks like a professional footballer in this picture. Good stuff.

Monaco, short wheeled Ferrari's base, and Vettel behind the wheel. Looks like a promising weekend. 

On 21/05/2017 at 7:36 PM, Sakae said:

jm1628jy18.jpg

Charity game in Monaco. It certainly will be fun. Rosberg is playing, Hamilton is not. Seb certainly looks like a professional footballer in this picture. Good stuff.

I think both Ronaldo and Messi can learn a thing or two based on that

10 hours ago, BradSpeedMan said:

I think both Ronaldo and Messi can learn a thing or two based on that

Germans do like their football, Italians however are really religious about it. As Gianluca Ginoble (Il Volo) said, we (Italians) like three things; food, football, and our mothers. Sounds about right. Ronaldo and Messi are of course in the game superstar category, and there is hardly anyone alive who could teach them anything new. :thbup:

42 minutes ago, BradSpeedMan said:

Sakae. I was making a joke

I know. (Drivers won, BTW). Mick Sch played as well. Good stuff. 

Monaco.

Kimi and Seb had good P2. If MB were sandbagging in P2, they succeeded admirably (blaming car setup for P8 and 10). I do expect no less than one SC on Sunday. Stroll, Palmer, Kvyat and alike will not let me down in my expectations. Mind you, Seb admitted that he kissed a wall in P1 as well. (He loves the place that much). Now we need to digest a plan for 21 races next year. (France is coming back; love that).

It has been said that Monaco is a place where a driver can make difference. So far I would say Vettel confirms his 4 WDC status which he attained in a competitive field, and only some bad luck can stop him now for this weekend. Vandoorne has chance with Honda to make it into Q3. Bottas is shading Hamilton, just as Verstappen put DR behind him.

Kimi shines - must be relieve for the "old guy". Congrats! Ferraris are planted in Monaco. I just pray that they will not take each other out on the first lap.